Midweek rant: Death penalty Thailand – make your bloody mind up

webfact

Midweek rant: Death penalty Thailand – make your bloody mind up

dr.jpg

File photo

It is a given that the criminal justice system is in a mess in Thailand.

The most absurd irregularities in sentencing make that case plain and simple.

Five years potentially for vaping yet suspended sentences for assault.

Jail time for defaming the guilty but get off Scot free for ripping off the poor.

Run into and kill innocent people and just do a few weeks pretending to be a monk.

Drag a cop along the road and give a garland and a wai and hope all will be forgiven.

Or even kill an officer and just gallivant around the world waiting for the statute of limitations to run out.

A police force that thinks it is the law and not the people who should enforce it. Yes, we have seen it all. But as bad as this is, it is not the essential heart of my rant.

My rant is about the death penalty – or the complete lack of it. This is not an argument about whether Thailand should have the ultimate sanction. In fact I think they should not; that is another matter entirely. It’s just that I wish they would make their  mind up whether they are going to use it or not.

Time and again officials come out to say that such and such a heinous criminal will face death.

It is almost expected of police and prosecutors in trying to satisfy a public baying for blood and retribution in the wake of the latest crime played out on social media.

Yes, we’ll execute the men who killed for an iPhone in Lat Prao. Of course we will.

Sure, the Krabi massacre people will all be dispatched to the next life.

Twaddle.

The authorities have no intention of carrying out their threats even if the courts impose the death penalty.

Why?

I don’t know. Maybe they fear a backlash especially from the liberals of Europe.

Why do I always feel that the possible effect on tourism is some kind of common denominator, some kind of bottom line?

The iPhone thieves were convicted and sentenced to death. It was a horrendous crime against an innocent member of the public. There was no doubt in the case.

But they will remain in jail. Sure they are unlikely ever to see the light of day but they won’t die for their crime. The judge who said they would, knows it – just like most members of the public know it.

Just like everyone else who has been sentenced to die in the last eight years.

Remember the man on the railway who raped and killed the girl in the toilet.

Uproar – put the scum to death!

Isn’t he enjoying rice porridge every day – despite the public outcry.

Yes, no one has been executed since 2009.

It is only two more years before an organization as prestigious as Amnesty International will add Thailand to a list where – for all intents and purposes – the penalty, through not being used, in reality is not considered to exist.

But still they bang on that people will be executed.

It is nothing short of macabre PR.

And a complete lie to keep the public from complaining too much.

Just another tool to control and spoon feed the masses.

And if you believe that the death penalty is actually a deterrent – then it is a toothless tool at that.

When it comes to the death penalty the Thais need to scrap it or use it.

And stop this play acting.

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-07-19

10 minutes ago, webfact said:

It is a given that the criminal justice system is in a mess in Thailand.

There is no justice in Thailand.............Money talks.

2 minutes ago, Jessi said:

There is no justice in Thailand.............Money talks.

In terms of the death penalty money also talks in countries that still retain it and use it,, USA for example. You would have to be seriously blinkered not to realise that the ability to retain a top legal team makes a huge difference in determining whether you are even found guilty in the first place ; OJ Simpson comes to mind though there are many more.

Sure the legal system in Thailand is rotten to the core, good reason for getting rid of the death penalty ?

Then how about Singapore, high, high, up on the list of least corruptible countries etc. Just 4 days ago they hanged a Malaysian for 22 grams of  heroin in  a car he had borrowed, there had to be doubts about his guilt but the political message is clear. 

I've always found it somewhat ironic that those who shout loudest on this forum for the death penalty can also be found complaining on other threads about about how corrupt the Thai system is in so many other aspects.

The problem here is the same old story, you got money, ok how much.

You have money you live, you are poor and you die.

The justice system, sorry what passes for a justice system here, is just a total mess.

Bring it on.  Paedophiles, rapists, murderers, human traffickers, cop killers etc don't deserve to live. String em up I say, string em up.

If you think you could be on your above list,your against the Death Penalty naturally....So with my Old Fashioned values , those against it are potential Killers.
?

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

4 hours ago, SongSomSoda said:

It has an air con ?

Gesendet von meinem LG-H990 mit Tapatalk

Of course, executions should be performed in a cool environment. It gets a lot hotter where the guilty are going.

That room won't see much activity anytime soon.

4 hours ago, webfact said:

Maybe they fear a backlash especially from the liberals of Europe.

thais are mentally insular, they dont think like that; only time they know there are other countries out there is when some international watchdog flags them

In Thailand I would be against the death penalty, as judges and police are not known for their good work. In the West I might be for the death penalty but only in cases where proof is so strong (like video) that there is absolutely no doubt at all and no chance a wrong person is executed.

But unfortunately even in my country the police makes mistakes, I guess its the same in all countries. In the US there are people who were executed and later cleared. So I would not say the death penalty is a good thing in general. 

But there certainly are people who deserve the death penalty. 

Just now, robblok said:

In Thailand I would be against the death penalty, as judges and police are not known for their good work. In the West I might be for the death penalty but only in cases where proof is so strong (like video) that there is absolutely no doubt at all and no chance a wrong person is executed.

But unfortunately even in my country the police makes mistakes, I guess its the same in all countries. In the US there are people who were executed and later cleared. So I would not say the death penalty is a good thing in general. 

"In the US there are people who were executed and later cleared."

Examples?

9 minutes ago, robblok said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wrongful_execution

read and weep also recent cases. 

Familiar with it probably before you were.   Yeah, that's what I thought.   You can't.   The article doesn't cite even one known case of someone who was executed and later cleared.  Only allegations  and "claims" of wrongful execution. "Possibly innocent".  You should get your facts straight before making statements you can't support...

From that article:

"A number of people are claimed to have been innocent victims of the death penalty.[3][4] Newly available DNA evidence has allowed the exoneration and release of more than 20 death row inmates since 1992 in the United States,[5] but DNA evidence is available in only a fraction of capital cases. Others have been released on the basis of weak cases against them, sometimes involving prosecutorial misconduct; resulting in acquittal at retrial, charges dropped, or innocence-based pardons. The Death Penalty Information Center (U.S.) has published a list of 10 inmates "executed but possibly innocent".[6] At least 39 executions are claimed to have been carried out in the U.S. in the face of evidence of innocence or serious doubt about guilt."

Edited by hawker9000

3 minutes ago, hawker9000 said:

Familiar with it probably before you were.   Yeah, that's what I thought.   You can't.   The article doesn't cite even one known case of someone who was executed and later cleared.  Only allegations  and "claims" of wrongful execution. "Possibly innocent".  You should get your facts straight before making statements you can't support...

From that article:

"A number of people are claimed to have been innocent victims of the death penalty.[3][4] Newly available DNA evidence has allowed the exoneration and release of more than 20 death row inmates since 1992 in the United States,[5] but DNA evidence is available in only a fraction of capital cases. Others have been released on the basis of weak cases against them, sometimes involving prosecutorial misconduct; resulting in acquittal at retrial, charges dropped, or innocence-based pardons. The Death Penalty Information Center (U.S.) has published a list of 10 inmates "executed but possibly innocent".[6] At least 39 executions are claimed to have been carried out in the U.S. in the face of evidence of innocence or serious doubt about guilt."

Did you really look into the article.. it states more then one known case. Just scroll down. Pfff I am not going to post it here and make this about the USA. My point was that even in a country that is advanced like the US it goes wrong. Next time read.. and not just the first few lines. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_wrongful_convictions_in_the_United_States

1 hour ago, williamgeorgeallen said:

society is going down the toilet when people say it is ok to kill other people.  

It's already gone down to the bottom of the hill.... even in the west all the wars we keep having... where is OK to kill the enemy people...  as its a war.  

2 hours ago, robblok said:

I guess if I am voicing an opinion, then this is close to it.

I too agree that certain people deserve the death penalty, especially if the evidence is overwhelming. One such case comes to mind from a month or two ago regarding the thugs who murdered a man for his I phone.......clear cctv evidence.

2 hours ago, williamgeorgeallen said:

society is going down the toilet when people say it is ok to kill other people.  

Sir, people such as I mentioned above do not act as a civilised member of society, so do not deserve to be a part of it..

30 minutes ago, AhFarangJa said:

I guess if I am voicing an opinion, then this is close to it.

I too agree that certain people deserve the death penalty, especially if the evidence is overwhelming. One such case comes to mind from a month or two ago regarding the thugs who murdered a man for his I phone.......clear cctv evidence.

Sir, people such as I mentioned above do not act as a civilised member of society, so do not deserve to be a part of it..

where do you draw the line. where you draw it and where someone else draws it will be different.  other factors is that it does not seem to deter criminals and it is very expensive.