"My Mate Nate" doesn't have a work permit - but lucky break means he won't be prosecuted for working

webfact

3 hours ago, Thechook said:

Why do you need a work permit to use your own computer in your own home to access and post on youtube?  YouTube is free to use and open to everyone and it's not as if you can hire a thai to do your hobbies, use your computer so you are entertained.  So farangs being amused and tapping a key on a keyboard is now another job reserved for thais in Thailand.  It's already illegal to mow your lawns, wash your car and take the garbage out, do we have to hire a thai to use my phone and call family?

I hope this situation spurs on the Thai government to realise just how much money is at play here with Youtube and expats who make money online, it's A LOT! If they made it easier by creating a special visa for such people, the government stands to make huge bank on the matter, if they actually use their noggins that is, which I doubt. A large % of Nates money will have gone into the Thai economy, and ontop of that if there are visa fees etc, it will only serve to benefit Thailand 

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, moe666 said:

I am sure Nate will figure it out he appears a rube but probably alot smarter than most who post here taking the piss out of him

I doubt he is smarter, perhaps just a classless individual who does not care what anyone thinks about him, only money and seeking attention. After all, America has a President just like him, same psych profile.

Why do you need a work permit to use your own computer in your own home to access and post on youtube?  YouTube is free to use and open to everyone and it's not as if you can hire a thai to do your hobbies, use your computer so you are entertained.  So farangs being amused and tapping a key on a keyboard is now another job reserved for thais in Thailand.  It's already illegal to mow your lawns, wash your car and take the garbage out, do we have to hire a thai to use my phone and call family?

ITS BS 

What work permit is this labor guy saying he can get ? since he is self employed  its HARDLY A JOB IS IT and definately not taking work from anyone.

Totally RIDICULOUS but what do you expect from this country

14 minutes ago, Toshiba66 said:

Try that bit about "spending a ton of money and supporting the economy" to sidestep paying income taxes back home and see how far it gets you.  Or the bit about "all my money comes from overseas customers, so I don't owe any taxes here where I operate" (and suck up resources).

Where did I say that?

My apologies.  I didn't mean to attribute those exact statements to you.   I quoted your post as an example of dozens (hundreds) of posts I've read over the past few years.  My bad.  I stand by my statements, but should have been clear that they weren't aimed specifically at the words in your post.

Edited by impulse

1 hour ago, imagemaestro said:

"his work has exhibited inappropriate behavior that may not be a suitable role model for Thai youth. However, if he were to atone for this and change his ways then a permit might be granted, pointed out Ranon."

Are we running a country here or a 1930's Agatha Christie novel english upper class private girls school

Uh huh. Basically the Thai Government and Thais love to get all torqued up about something of little or no importance. I assume it takes peoples minds off real problems and issues. The Government knows this and encourages it at every opportunity.

Edited by LomSak27

1 minute ago, impulse said:

My apologies.  I didn't mean to attribute those exact statements to you.   I quoted your post as an example of dozens (hundreds) of posts I've read over the past few years.  My bad.  I stand by my statements, but should have been clear that they weren't aimed specifically at your post.

Thank you. And I do hear you and agree with most of what you say. But the digital nomads I know still pay tax in their home country. I think the only way to avoid tax that I know of is to be paid cash and enjoy spending it quietly.. 

The trouble is we are fast becoming a global world and with technology the way it is more and more people are working from home. Does it really make a difference whether that home is in the same country as your company you work for?

I know of a couple of people who must have descended from Gypsies. They move about all year probably spending about 3 or 4 months in each country. Should they not be allowed to do that? 

I'll stick with my original statement. Tons of grey area to whats right or wrong.

Don't monetize your YT account. You can upload video's all day, If you're making money in Thailand you need a WP. 

33 minutes ago, Toshiba66 said:

As far as paying taxes go every time I order something from Ali Express I don't think I am paying tax. Am I bad?

It's a grey area.  If you lived in Nazi Germany, would it make you a bad person to evade taxes?  In well-run countries like Finland with a strong social contract, it might be frowned upon.  Here we have the military in charge, endlessly sacrificing themselves to bring happiness to the people, putting their lives on the line in Chinese submarines to keep us safe.  

The ones that piss me off are companies like Google and Facebook where a small circle gets massively rich selling stuff around the world, barely paying taxes anywhere.  Digital nomads are small fry, but it seems the main difference with the Googles of the world is scale.

1 hour ago, ChidlomDweller said:

The answer is not just about Thailand but a global phenomenon.  Why should digital work be free of national regulations or taxes?  What about programming?  Why not incude all intellectual work?  Rules should be the same for everyone.  The only reason why digital workers and internet companies get away with it has to do with the ease of evading taxes, more than the ethics of it.

I'm not a fan of this government, or any Thai government, but that's a separate point.  If you choose to live in a country and enjoy the public benefits like roads, an educated population, access to a police force when needed, etc., you ought to pay just like the next person.  I know those benefits are a shambles in Thailand, but it's the general principle: taxes are the cost of living in a civilized society.  If you choose to make a country your home, and you make your money in that country, you're on the hook to pay taxes as much as a local worker.

You lost me at "an educated population".... :biggrin:

3 hours ago, impulse said:

You're confusing the need for a work permit for doing any work in Thailand with the rules that say you can't do certain protected jobs, even with a work permit.

If he's making money filming YouTube videos in Thailand and doing post production in Thailand, and posting them from Thailand, he is working in Thailand.  I don't think there are any rules against foreigners taking on that work, but it is work.  Which requires a work permit- and that requires a business structure that qualifies him for a work permit.  Or more discretion to stay under the radar.  He apparently had neither.

yes you are right however to get the work permit he will still need a work premises and need to hire 4 thais. not that he needs them.  i have had my shop for 10 years. cost of running it with 4 staff is quite a bit plus all the fees and taxes makes it impossible to justify for most people. in this case i think the guys goose is cooked and he will have to move on.

4 hours ago, Thechook said:

why? because YOU are in Thailand, that's why. nothing else  means anything. 

34 minutes ago, tonray said:

You mean shut down ThaiVisa ?

I did say people and nonsense not people and Thaivisa, however I wouldn't think the government could care one iota for TV, operating or shut down 

4 hours ago, Thechook said:

excuses. excuses

2 minutes ago, williamgeorgeallen said:

yes you are right however to get the work permit he will still need a work premises and need to hire 4 thais. not that he needs them.  i have had my shop for 10 years. cost of running it with 4 staff is quite a bit plus all the fees and taxes makes it impossible to justify for most people. in this case i think the guys goose is cooked and he will have to move on.

You're right.  The requirements are onerous for a small shop- especially a one man operation.  But that's indicative of the type of investment Thailand is trying to attract.  They're trying to attract investment that's going to put Thai people to work, with the implied benefit of also upgrading the local skill sets.  I'm not going to pretend to know if that's good or bad policy.  But it is what it is.

I am really amused, by the outrage, this idiot caused!

And I don't mean with the Thais!

We know, they are little fragile souls, getting peepee in their panties about all kinds of 5h!t!

I mean you, my fellow TVF's!

I have seen guys on here, defend the RTP for the Koh Tao- @#$% up!

I have seen people bend the definition of the word "accident", to make a point in favor of getting into your Ferrari - high on about everything, you can possibly have in your blood-stream - kill a cop and NOT call that manslaughter or even murder!

I have seen people applauid all end of any kind of democracy, we may have had in this country, in favor of that-which -can-not-be-named-what-it-is....

This moron "My Ape Nate" has killed no one, raped no one, has not taken democracy away from the Thai- people at gunpoint!

He is just an idiot, with a youtube- channel!

And still you get riled up about deporting him for doing idiotic stuff that hurt NO ONE, especially not you!

Amazing!

Edited by DM07

17 minutes ago, speedtripler said:

Legally, even unpaid work needs a permit

Monetization is totally irrelevant 

Volunteering needs a WP as the Thai gov considers it work. Time on the internet is  considered work only  if you are earning,  or somehow taking employment away from a Thai. 

Edited by Meljames

2 minutes ago, Meljames said:

Volunteering needs a WP as the Thai gov considers it work. Time on the internet is only considered work only  if you are earning,  or somehow taking employment away from a Thai. 

OK, explain how these videos took work away from any Thai? 

1 minute ago, Rhys said:

Send the twerp home.. good guys in bad guys out...enforce your rules, especially on the farang twerp.

If they sent every foreigner home who has done something stupid, or irritated enough people, or been embarrassed on social media, this would be a lonely forum.

Be careful what you wish for.  It can come back and bite any one of us.  And nobody can predict exactly how that would happen.

8 minutes ago, impulse said:

You're right.  The requirements are onerous for a small shop- especially a one man operation.  But that's indicative of the type of investment Thailand is trying to attract.  They're trying to attract investment that's going to put Thai people to work, with the implied benefit of also upgrading the local skill sets.  I'm not going to pretend to know if that's good or bad policy.  But it is what it is.

i would say they have made it so expensive for a foreign run business to run that it is almost impossible to compete with thai businesses. actually over the 10 years i just finished in pattaya mine was the only business that i knew of working under this structure. if they are trying to attract this type of business it is a complete failure.

I don't see any gray area about this at all. He's clearly working _IN_ Thailand with thai people and the country as the focus of his material. He's also putting up the content while living within Thailand. It doesn't matter if it's media it's still producing property. The real gray area would be a digital nomad who codes for a living or does some affiliate marketing whose job is based completely abroad. A person who recieves income from owning real estate abroad and spends it in Thailand for example is not working in Thailand.

If your primary consumer market/audience is in the country you are in and you are producing content or material for them then you are working there full stop.

He should be prosecuted and deported asap.