Republican push to end Obamacare collapses in U.S. Senate

webfact

12 hours ago, Trouble said:

First off, the ACA was a fraud perpetrated on the American taxpayer to begin with.  What the ACA really was about was expanding coverage not reducing costs. Two of the law's provisions were expanding Medicaid eligibility and creating new government-run exchanges offering subsidizing health plans. Obamacare accomplished that for some 20 million Americans. Keep your doctor, lower premiums as promised to the majority of Americans, it did not. To fund these 20 million Americans Obamacare's effect was to increase insurance premiums for the middle class and shift the burden of health care cost to them.  What Obamacare really did was get millions more on Medicaid. Insurance companies have pulled out right and left as they are taking losses.  Like it or not the health care industry is a business, hospitals are a business, doctoring is a business.  Basically a bunch of politicians started tinkering with a business model and screwed it up.  While there was some increase in people covered by individual-market plans, there was also a drop in employment-based coverage. The Democrats forced a bad plan down everyones throats and now have a health insurance industry in turmoil.  The Republicans are no better in trying to pass their poor plan to somehow claim a victory and are having a hard time of it.  

I guess one has to first consider whether "complete" health care is a right of birth in any country.  I personally don't think it is.  Seems to me far too many people want things from the government and are not willing to take care of themselves to some degree. There is room for lots of debate on that.  I am more than willing to discuss what level of coverage should be considered and what level of coverage the people, as a whole, can afford.  The Democrats tried to throw everything possible into the 2,000 pages of the ACA rather than what was practical and affordable as a first step. It was nothing more than buying votes and another attempt at social engineering, something politicians get wrong quite often. What might be a better approach is to first determine what basic needs should be funded by the Taxpayer and what should be individual responsibility.  With a trillion dollar deficit each year, where does the money come from?  Maybe a national sales tax or other funding measures should be considered but the Obamacare model failed miserably and everyone knows it. It tried to model a one size fits all plan which does not work and which gave away the farm.  The Democrats only solution is to throw more money at the ACA which is not treating the problem with the model.  They will not admit it did not work the way it was planned. The Republicans on the other hand have been pretty deficient in bringing about open debate on the subject, discussing what the country can afford at this juncture, and how encompassing the plan should be.  Sorry but it is not the responsibility of the government to do everything for everyone.  Next we will be making rent payments for the underprivileged, subsidizing food for the poor, utilities for the poor, and phones for the poor.  Oops, we already subsidize all those things.  The problem with all this is that as good as the intentions are, that sector of society seems to be growing not diminishing.  The worst part about all these programs is that a whole segment of the population now demands these things and has to contribute nothing in return. It is nothing but a downward spiral to bankruptcy.  When the interest on borrowing money becomes a larger part of the budget, it is likely to cause a depression and the house of cards will collapse.  Like it or not there is no way to tax that 1% everyone wants to do and pay for it all.

ACA does punish the middle class by raising premiums in order to help the low income.  This seems to be the main complaint among those that are against ACA. Yes it sounds unfair, but think about how you are helping the country and saving lives. I know some folks are saying they barely make enough to make ends meet, but they don't realize that if you talk about universal heathcare and how great the system is in Europe, make a note that middle class citizens in first world European nations that are very happy are all paying upwards of 50% on income taxes.

Again ACA is far from perfect, but its saving lives. I would propose cut back on military spending and pull more troops back, but Trump is increasing it instead.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This seems relevant- from a republican:
https://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/2017/07/24/gop-senators-dont-approve-mystery-health-bill-david-durenberger-column/502976001/

A vote in these circumstances will rightly provoke anger and distrust unlikely to abate. Take it from me: A no vote on the Motion to Proceed this week is the only one that will be defensible in the years to come.

I have had my arm twisted by the best of them — presidents and Senate leaders and party whips alike. I know how uncomfortable it can be. Usually, they were able to attempt a convincing argument about what is good about the bill for the country or my state. But I never would have voted for something so far reaching without knowing the answer to all the questions above.

Never in all my years did I experience the level of bullying we see today. It doesn't look good in Minnesota, and I suspect it doesn’t look any better in your state.

Republican Congressman suggests killing female Senators who blocked Trumpcare

Republican Congressman from Texas Blake Farenthold is angry that Congress hasn’t voted to repeal Obamacare and replace it with his own party’s bill – and he’s taking it out on his female colleagues in the Senate.

Rep. Farenthold said during a radio interview that “some female senators from the Northeast” are to blame for the Senate not voting to repeal the Affordable Care Act. And apparently their gender is the only thing keeping him from taking the matter even further.

“If it was a guy from south Texas, I might ask him to step outside and settle this Aaron Burr-style,” Farenthold said.

Farenthold was referring to the 1804 duel between Vice President Aaron Burr and Treasury Secretary Alexander Hamilton, in which Burr shot and killed Hamilton during a duel in the aftermath of the New York gubernatorial election.

http://reverepress.com/news/republican-congressman-suggests-killing-female-senators-blocked-trumpcare/