How Much Sin-sod Did You Pay?

buddhafly

how much sin-sod did you pay?  

299 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I will pay later this year, around 600,000, this has not been asked for, it is my offer because

a I can afford it

b Small price to pay to honour my wife and her kin

c It's still cheaper than a UK wedding

Will you refuse if they try to give it back? Do you expect it back?
so don't believe the crap on here that it is a farang rip off
It very often is a farang rip-off - you'll be telling us next that your wife is divorced.

The traditional sinsod is not a farang rip off, sinsod is an excuse used by many people to scam farangs out of money though. I think that's where you're getting confused Neeranam.

• Replies 502
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It very often is a farang rip-off - you'll be telling us next that your wife is divorced.

No I would not accept if they tried to give it back. I do not expect it back, it is for her family, if I needed or expected it back I wouldn't pay as much, it is the norm to pay what you can afford.

No she is not divorced, no kids and the family ask nothing more of me than to take care of their daughter, they are very self sufficient, sorry there is no horror story for the negative bridgade to jump on.

Just what I have read somewhere just now, how good a source of info that is I don't know Divorce is definitely allowed to be initiated by the woman though. And children are thankfully not allowed to be abused by new husbands either. And it's not a standard practice either, well not in the Thailand I know.

There is no doubt that the kiddy fiddling goes on.If Kat was here, she could give you all the info.

The same thing happens when somebody beats up their wife...everybody just turns a blind eye.from what I understand, this tends to be more prevalent in some of the poorer areas.Def not allowed though.

I wouldn't rely on Kat for much info to be honest, and I do know it is prevalent but SanukJoe made it sound like it was the normal everyday part of the culture thing. I mean when he said it was 'allowed' I had to assume he was talking about being legally allowed.

Sorry Maddy , maybe I wasn't clear enough.

When I said "is allowed" I meant in the privacy of the marriage, not that it is allowed by law. It is however practicised and for me every child abuse is one too much.

I also didn't say this is part of culture, it's part of reality.

As someone said, beating up your woman is not legal, but it happens daily. Not me of course :o

Joe

I will pay later this year, around 600,000, this has not been asked for, it is my offer because

a I can afford it

Some agree, some don't, some are just too tight with money, some don't understand the culture.

Most Thai people I know pay similar amounts , sometimes a bit less, so don't believe the crap on here that it is a farang rip off, this is the spouting of the poor and uneducated farang who pretend they know about Thailand and it's customs.

so you must be educated then.Can you please tell us exactly what sin sod means to you?

a I can afford it

Got any stats on "very often" ? BS

Dowry is a matter of bargaining and supply- and- demand.

I believe it’s the best for both parties to come to an agreement and deal they can live with.

Below are a few tips the Western foreign man should know which should lower the dowry or eliminate it totally.

-Not to pretty/popular

-Past her prime

-Sex before marriage and the public know

-Pregnant before marriage

-Divorced or kids from previous relationship

Add to those:

-woman is an ex-prostitute

-Western man hasn't got a pot to piss in

...and then you've got a pretty good idea of why Lefty paid no sinsot.

:o

do you live in bkk? if so i would like to meet you. please pm with your details.

Strike a nerve, Lefty? Did you puff up your chest when you typed that?

It was rude and uncalled for.He has every right to want to meet you.Another person that is a keyboard warrior,that thinks that personal insults are ok.

Of course it was rude, but hardly uncalled for. This is a guy who's entire persona consists of making provocative, abrasive, downright insulting comments to anyone he doesn't agree with (you can search his post history or just look in this thread), and then threatens to get physical when he runs into someone who responds in kind.

We all know his type -- he fancies himself a big, bad, bully boy who can insult and degrade whoever he likes, then solve the resulting problems with his fists. If he tried that routine back where I come from there'd be no fisticuffs... he'd be taking a dirt nap real quick.

Funny thing is, this guy couldn't care less that he's as much as called everyone on this forum who's paid sinsot a john and their wife a prostitute. That's no problem for him, because it's his bloody opinion and as far as he's concerned that's all that counts.

Maybe now he knows how being on the receiving end of a nasty insult feels... isn't it a pity someone had to stoop so low to make the point?

I'd be happy to apologize and retract the comment as soon as he's man enough to do the same.

:D

When I said "is allowed" I meant in the privacy of the marriage, not that it is allowed by law. It is however practicised and for me every child abuse is one too much.

As someone said, beating up your woman is not legal, but it happens daily. Not me of course :o

Joe

It happens in all cultures Joe,same as wife beatings.(Althouth failure by the missus to wash the dishes,is almost asking for it :D :D )

The problem here is that people will not stick their noses into somebody elses business.That and the failure of some wives to put a stop to it.Mainly through lack of education and fear.

Just what I have read somewhere just now, how good a source of info that is I don't know Divorce is definitely allowed to be initiated by the woman though. And children are thankfully not allowed to be abused by new husbands either. And it's not a standard practice either, well not in the Thailand I know.

There is no doubt that the kiddy fiddling goes on.If Kat was here, she could give you all the info.

The same thing happens when somebody beats up their wife...everybody just turns a blind eye.from what I understand, this tends to be more prevalent in some of the poorer areas.Def not allowed though.

I wouldn't rely on Kat for much info to be honest, and I do know it is prevalent but SanukJoe made it sound like it was the normal everyday part of the culture thing. I mean when he said it was 'allowed' I had to assume he was talking about being legally allowed.

As someone said, beating up your woman is not legal, but it happens daily. Not me of course :D

Joe

Really then Joe you could say that's its allowed in the UK and the rest of the world then because it's a reality there. You could even go further and say the first husband and father of the kids are allowed to do this. It's quite a far reaching statement you made I think.

Is that what you was saying with divorce as well, that it is socially not accepted for a woman to divorce, therefore not allowed? I had an idea you was talking about 'legally' then as well. :o

Joe

It happens in all cultures Joe,same as wife beatings.(Althouth failure by the missus to wash the dishes,is almost asking for it :D:D )

The problem here is that people will not stick their noses into somebody elses business.That and the failure of some wives to put a stop to it.Mainly through lack of education and fear.

You're right. BTW you know what I did to never ever again wash dishes?

I dropped them all...... my wife is so sweet, she said: "you are too nervous, let me do it" Ain't she sweet? :D

Joe

Edit: I reward her of course in a very nice way, she loves it and same same here :D

Edited by SanukJoe

Of course it was rude, but hardly uncalled for. This is a guy who's entire persona consists of making provocative, abrasive, downright insulting comments to anyone he doesn't agree with (you can search his post history or just look in this thread), and then threatens to get physical when he runs into someone who responds in kind.

We all know his type -- he fancies himself a big, bad, bully boy who can insult and degrade whoever he likes, then solve the resulting problems with his fists. If he tried that routine back where I come from there'd be no fisticuffs... he'd be taking a dirt nap real quick.

Funny thing is, this guy couldn't care less that he's as much as called everyone on this forum who's paid sinsot a john and their wife a prostitute. That's no problem for him, because it's his bloody opinion and as far as he's concerned that's all that counts.

Maybe now he knows how being on the receiving end of a nasty insult feels... isn't it a pity someone had to stoop so low to make the point?

I'd be happy to apologize and retract the comment as soon as he's man enough to do the same.

So where you come from,if he implied that if you pay a sinsot was akin to buying a lady of the night,he would get killed,right?

a I can afford it

Using sinsod as an excuse to scam some money out of a farang does happen very often Joe. The confusion between traditional sinsod and this scam is one of the reasons sinsod is so fiercely debated on this forum.

As someone said, beating up your woman is not legal, but it happens daily. Not me of course :D

Joe

Really then Joe you could say that's its allowed in the UK and the rest of the world then because it's a reality there. You could even go further and say the first husband and father of the kids are allowed to do this. It's quite a far reaching statement you made I think.

Is that what you was saying with divorce as well, that it is socially not accepted for a woman to divorce, therefore not allowed? I had an idea you was talking about 'legally' then as well. :o

Maddy please define "allowed"

It doesn't mean it is legal!

it means that a mother in Thailand allows (or is forced to allow) that her daughter is raped by her new husband. Of course nearly all mothers take precautions and let their daughters stay with their mothers, so daughters of divorced women are often raised by their grandparents because of that. Maybe you have a better word for "allowed" you are good in language and it's not my mother tongue.

Cheers Joe

QUOTE(jackmuu @ 2007-01-07 23:34:21)

a I can afford it

Some agree, some don't, some are just too tight with money, some don't understand the culture.

Most Thai people I know pay similar amounts , sometimes a bit less, so don't believe the crap on here that it is a farang rip off, this is the spouting of the poor and uneducated farang who pretend they know about Thailand and it's customs.

so you must be educated then.Can you please tell us exactly what sin sod means to you?

Please tell us your qualifications and how much money you have.

a I can afford it

Using sinsod as an excuse to scam some money out of a farang does happen very often Joe. The confusion between traditional sinsod and this scam is one of the reasons sinsod is so fiercely debated on this forum.

I think it's easily separated: there is sin sod of serious women sticking to tradition and there is BG sin sot, or money collecting sin sot, a totally different item and not at all tradition and culture.

Joe

QUOTE(jackmuu @ 2007-01-07 23:34:21)

a I can afford it

Did you tell us yours? Think not!

Why don't you stop digging and irritating? Get a <deleted> tonight that will help maybe.

Joe

I think it's easily separated: there is sin sod of serious women sticking to tradition and there is BG sin sot, or money collecting sin sot, a totally different item and not at all tradition and culture.

Following your rules of sinsod Joe I would say a bar girl is equally deserving of a sinsod as a divorced woman. Money collecting sinsod is much more accurate as it's not exclusively bar girls that go for this scam.

The traditional sinsod is not a farang rip off, sinsod is an excuse used by many people to scam farangs out of money though. I think that's where you're getting confused Neeranam.

That's what I mean, mate.

You talk sin sot in general Neeranam, so if you mean certain parts of it, be clear please.

Joe

Following your rules of sinsod Joe I would say a bar girl is equally deserving of a sinsod as a divorced woman. Money collecting sinsod is much more accurate as it's not exclusively bar girls that go for this scam.

I'm glad we agree now Maddy. Lets stick to 2 kinds of sin sot: traditional sin sot and moneymaking sin sot. Deal? :o

Joe

So where you come from,if he implied that if you pay a sinsot was akin to buying a lady of the night,he would get killed,right?

Calling a bunch of other guys wives hookers, right, he wouldn't survive very long. Anyway, why criticize me for making exactly the same implication he did?

Why don't you stop digging and irritating? Get a <deleted> tonight that will help maybe.

Joe

Why not?

B.Eng in Mechanical Engineering

MA in Materials Technology.

About 10,000 baht.

And you? You don't actually say 'same same' to the wife do you? :o

Dowry is a matter of bargaining and supply- and- demand.

I believe it’s the best for both parties to come to an agreement and deal they can live with.

Below are a few tips the Western foreign man should know which should lower the dowry or eliminate it totally.

-Not to pretty/popular

-Past her prime

-Sex before marriage and the public know

-Pregnant before marriage

-Divorced or kids from previous relationship

Add to those:

-woman is an ex-prostitute

-Western man hasn't got a pot to piss in

...and then you've got a pretty good idea of why Lefty paid no sinsot.

do you live in bkk? if so i would like to meet you. please pm with your details.

Strike a nerve, Lefty? Did you puff up your chest when you typed that?

yes it did. say what you like about me but you have crossed the line calling my wife, and the mother of my child, a prostitute.

if we were in a bar i would have knocked you straight out, as any right thinking man would.

but we are not. ive sent you a pm and i suggest we continue this off the board. thanks.

Just curious Lefty. If you find out in the future that your wife was a BG in the past how would you react? Would you still love and support her and your child? Would you walk away? What would you do?

Joe

Why not?

About 10,000 baht.

And you? You don't actually say 'same same' to the wife do you? :D

I think he means how much have you got in the bank, not what's in your wallet right now. :o

Joe

it means that a mother in Thailand allows (or is forced to allow) that her daughter is raped by her new husband. Of course nearly all mothers take precautions and let their daughters stay with their mothers, so daughters of divorced women are often raised by their grandparents because of that. Maybe you have a better word for "allowed" you are good in language and it's not my mother tongue.

Cheers Joe

I'm sorry Joe thats such a generalisation I can't take it too seriously. I personally don't know any woman would allow her daughter to be raped by her new husband. Do you yourself personally? I understand it does occur, but not everywhere in Thailand is this the case, more often I would have thought in very poor villages with uneducated mothers.

Joe

Why not?

About 10,000 baht.

And you? You don't actually say 'same same' to the wife do you? :o

Can you explain this please, my IQ doesn't go beyond 156

Joe

Cheers Joe

I'm sorry Joe thats such a generalisation I can't take it too seriously. I personally don't know any woman would allow her daughter to be raped by her new husband. Do you yourself personally? I understand it does occur, but not everywhere in Thailand is this the case, more often I would have thought in very poor villages with uneducated mothers.

Maddy wake up. If you haven't heard of it it doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

I have met 5 women who told me the same story, they all put their daughters to their mums, not for nothing right?

Ok, it's only 5 I know, not representative. But how is your stats?

And please, stop combining poor villages with uneducated people, I'm fed up with it. Those poor people do everything to let their children study so that they have a better life than their parents. Please pay a little respect.

Joe

Meemiathai, don't let them make you upset, it's not worth it. As I told before you cannot change a donkey into a horse. Once a donkey always a donkey. I remember donkeys having these eye-flaps so they could only look straight forward, how relevant on some posters here.... :o

Joe

Thanks Joe. No worries, I wasn't really angry at all. :D

[q

To quote my wife,,,,,"If you Farangs cannot respect the customs of Issan people then go set in your room and chuck wah, and leave the Issan ladies alone. :o

If that is a direct quote, well, my wifr would never say that altho uni grad and lawyer, she says it is bad talk