Cinema Chain Gives 'Dunkirk' Discount To Thai Military

snoop1130

Cinema Chain Gives 'Dunkirk' Discount To Thai Military

By Teeranai Charuvastra, Staff Reporter

20116922_1934299996829030_6796575443027433842_o-696x398.jpg

Army officer and actor Col. Wanchana Sawatdee poses at a Dunkirk movies screening Wednesday. Image: Major Cineplex / Facebook

BANGKOK — Thanks to a special deal from the biggest cinema chain, members of the armed forces can watch blockbuster war film “Dunkirk” at a discounted price of 100 baht.

The campaign was announced Wednesday by Major Cineplex, the same day Christopher Nolan’s war epic premiered in Thailand. The chain cited no reason for the deal, which drew criticism from those who believe the military is already one of the most privileged institutions in the country.

Full Story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/politics/2017/07/20/cinema-chain-gives-dunkirk-discount-thai-military/

khaosodeng_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Khaosod English 2017-7-20

How about Major Cineplex offers a discount to all retired  VFWs living in Thailand, regardless of nationality. Now that would be a gesture, although some may see it as an insult. And no, I've never had the honor to be able to serve my country.

Dunkirk was a defeat. We (the British) were soundly beaten.
We spun it as a success, if not exactly a victory.

Hmm, I feel an attack of irony coming on.

Rescued 300k soldiers when they all should have perished and avoided a conditional surrender, sounds like a huge moral victory! And the nazis lost a few years later. Lose the battle but win the war.

1 hour ago, rkidlad said:

I think it's a good idea. Show the military here what a real battle looks like and the horrible things that happen. 

They wouldn't have a clue about battle. They rolled over to the Japanese, had a brief skirmish with the French and won a few territories which the Allies made them hand back. Then to celebrate nothing they erected Victory Monument.

Later they gave protection to Pol Pot whose murderous regime killed nearly 2 million Cambodians.

So I urge the Thai military go see Dunkirk with their taxpayer subsidy; they might learn something about courage.

4 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

The chain cited no reason for the deal, which drew criticism from those who believe the military is already one of the most privileged institutions in the country.

4 hours ago, rkidlad said:

I think it's a good idea. Show the military here what a real battle looks like and the horrible things that happen. 

They are here to run the country and control the people.

Why on earth do people think they are here to defend Thailand?

They were our enemy who surrendered to the Japanese in 24 hours of them landing, no fighting them on the beaches here, they should have to pay more to see the film not less. Everyone pays 100 baht on wednesdays anyway

Edited by Orton Rd

10 hours ago, ratcatcher said:

How about Major Cineplex offers a discount to all retired  VFWs living in Thailand, regardless of nationality. Now that would be a gesture, although some may see it as an insult. And no, I've never had the honor to be able to serve my country.

they do with gen freedom card it's 60 baht if over 60 on tues and reduced other days, first showing of a film on wed also 60 baht. Card is 120 baht. They need to say it is a true story otherwise Thais will not be able to tell it from war for planet of the apes,

Edited by Orton Rd

Rescued 300k soldiers when they all should have perished and avoided a conditional surrender, sounds like a huge moral victory! And the nazis lost a few years later. Lose the battle but win the war.

Oh I don't deny that the evacuation was a remarkable achievement, and allowed the British to fight on, but the fact remains​ that the battle, and the campaign which preceded it, were defeats. The irony is the Thai Army, with its own less than glorious record, being encouraged to watch it...

As it would appear that Thai people are not as knowledgeable about WW2, I think giving Military personnel a discount is a good idea.

It's also a ploy to cash in from a wider audience.

Edited by Rimmer
Troll comments removed

Oh I don't deny that the evacuation was a remarkable achievement, and allowed the British to fight on, but the fact remains​ that the battle, and the campaign which preceded it, were defeats. The irony is the Thai Army, with its own less than glorious record, being encouraged to watch it...

There's no doubt the retreat at Dunkirk was a reverse and however inspiring, wars are not won by retreats.Churchill however much he used Dunkirk as PR made this point many times.

Yet historically speaking we can now see saving nearly half a million men was absolutely vital in winning the war.It provided a breathing space at a time the Russians were allied with the Nazis and the Americans despite FDR were sunk in isolationism.It's difficult not to be moved and profoundly grateful to that British generation.Without their heroic efforts and stamina Nazi barbarism might well have prevailed.Despite WSC's great faults, we were fortunate at that time to be led by a man of genius.

As to what the reaction of Thais would have been we can only speculate.Oh wait, we know exactly what it would have been since they faced a similar situation in 1941.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

7 hours ago, Somtamnication said:

I can hear it now: "world war what?". Where are the aliens, etc etc.

For years, none of my high school nor uni students have ever heard of WW2, nor slavery in Bataan. :sad:

And as for 'Who is Donald Trump or Theresa May'? Forget it.

7 hours ago, Somtamnication said:

I can hear it now: "world war what?". Where are the aliens, etc etc.

For years, none of my high school nor uni students have ever heard of WW2, nor slavery in Bataan. 

You mean like we rarely got to read about all the atrocities committed in the name of our countries' colonial adventures?  The history books I read painted a picture of noble countrymen bringing civilization to the savages.  Rarely about wiping out entire populations in doing it, or looting all the goodies once they had calmed things down.

Selective teaching of history isn't unique to any particular country.  Though, admittedly, some are more selective than others.

Edited by impulse

Prob the deal is wear a uniform and you dont  have to pay. I knew i should of joined the Thai army years ago How does it feel Thai citizens? You get nothing army gets everything

Guess when you rule the country you can do that Oh the guy who got the deal did he get another medal for it? Hard work you know organizing the troops to watch the movies

19 hours ago, rkidlad said:

They will be wondering why they are fighting and not negotiating with the enemy to save the skins in exchange using their troops for slave labour.

21 minutes ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

As a direct descendant of someone that survived Dunkirk I find this distasteful. 

Exactly my thoughts, my father was wounded at Dunkirk, i too find it distasteful.

I am a Veteran of a brutal guerilla war in Southern Africa. If you think war is good, ask me via PM.

I will tell you the extreme horrors of war. The not knowing 24/7. The thousand mile stare the .... enough... ask me ok....

Those who cant speak of it, have never been there.

Brave men and women speak out so that others may learn. The rest die at home with a

suicide note.

Only a few very very brave men /women can express to others, the horrors of war first hand.

Those that say, "Those who have been there, never speak of it", well I say, suffer your PTSD alone and blow your brains out.

Those who are bigger and braver than the horror, speak out. 

I am a war vet of 39 years and I am still alive.

Speak to me directly via PM ok?

Wife's father was Thai commando killed in action supporting American troops in Vietnam.

Old friend was Thai army ranger killed protecting Karen refugees in Mae Sariang 20 years ago.

Men join up and men go down; it's been the human experience for time immemorial. Have some respect.