Packs of dogs damaging tourism in Ao Lak - but they only bite western visitors

webfact

Packs of dogs damaging tourism in Ao Lak - but they only bite western visitors

1pm.jpg

Picture: Thai Rath

Thai Rath reported that packs of stray dogs in the popular tourist area of Ao Lak in Pangnga were damaging tourism.

While the locals told them it was "very strange" that the packs of roaming animals only targeted "farangs".

A hotel manager in the area is fed up and told reporters that he wants something done permanently to rid the area of the pests.

Only yesterday an Australian pensioner ended up in Takua Pa Hospital with wounds to her leg after she was surrounded and attacked by a pack of four or five dogs after walking back from the Sai Rung waterfall.

Sixty eight year old Janet Heath on holiday from down under was bitten on her leg. A man came to help her and she was put in a taxi and taken for treatment at hospital.

But Beyond Hotel manager Withaya Bunmee said it was not an isolated incident. Two months ago there were two incidents of western tourists staying at his hotel who were attacked.

Tourists liked to go walking or riding bikes in the area and were vulnerable, he said. He called on the authorities to do something about it as the creatures were a menace and bad for business.

ww.jpg

Picture: Thai Rath

Yesterday Thai police went to the area of the latest attack and all they found were friendly mutts wagging their tails innocently. The cops could not determine if they were owned by anyone who could be charged.

Law number 377 allows for a year in jail and a fine of 10,000 baht for dog owners who allow their animals out to attack people. In addition owners are liable for the medical bills.

But they could not be sure that these were not just strays so an investigation is on.

Local people told Thai Rath that stray dogs were a menace in the area of the waterfall parks, boat mooring areas and beaches such as Nang Thong.

However they said that is was very strange that they only barked at and attacked "farang tourists".

Everyone was in no doubt that this situation was not good for the area and not good for tourism and that the authorities must find a permanent solution.

Source: Thai Rath

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-07-21

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

dogs can tell if you are fearful and become more aggressive.

i have been in Thailand three years and have never had a single problem with soi dogs because I don't do anything aggressive. and they remember you and respond accordingly.

and after feeding the soi dogs on my street some hotdogs they love me now. The Thais are amazed as the dogs run to me with tails wagging. I know this run contrary to expats thinking who hate soi dogs. And if you think the dogs don't know you hate them or fear them, even at a distance, you are wrong.

Edited by NCC1701A

I have experienced the phenomena of soi dogs attacking foreigners only.  I suspect it is because we "smell" differently to the locals due to diet or genetics.  Canines respond to strangers with barking and rushing behaviour ( in aggressive ones biting).

The average Thai response is what I find odd.   It is either indifference or amusement.  There is no or rarely any attempt to stop or control the dog or dogs. I have sometimes suspected encouragement.  The dogs undisciplined, restrained or encouraged by amusement or otherwise becomes programmed into the behaviour.

see/smell/sense foreigner = rush, bite attack      conduct unchecked or encouraged        repeat

Of course until they meet me.  Large walking stick and spray and willing to use it on them.... and angry owners if need be.

I always talk to all dogs I meet in a friendly voice, " Hello puppy, how is your day going".  The reaction varies from a faster tail wag, to just a glance. Never any trouble in 5 years, many different cities and dogs

29 minutes ago, edwardflory said:

I always talk to all dogs I meet in a friendly voice, " Hello puppy, how is your day going".  The reaction varies from a faster tail wag, to just a glance. Never any trouble in 5 years, many different cities and dogs

Come on down to my street.

A bit of reo rod about a half-metre  or so long,, a taped rubber handgrip. Hung on a belt loop, ready to menace these uncontrolled  pests as soon as they start acting up. Ignore "owners" and protect yourself from rabies or other diseases they carry. A can of insect/ant spray deters. So does an ammonia solution in a water pistol right into the animal's (or  protesting owner's) face).. A length of black rubber irrigation hose  whacked on the ground can also .startle. I like dogs but hate irresponsible, ignorant owners who turn their "pets" into public menaces for their own amusement. If an owner doesn't like you defending yourself, offer to call the police on his behalf immediately. He can explain to police why he shouldn't face an appropriate fine.

8 minutes ago, OmarZaid said:

Time for a cull ... get real !

Seconded!!

I have walked out of the house to throw stale bread into the village pond and had a pack of 4 or 5 dogs charge me, barking and growling. This is on a gated community, not up north in no mans land. I certainly didn't show fear or aggression to provoke the attack as I didn't see them coming until they were approx. 10m away. I pretended to pick up a stone (none around really) and pulled my arm back as if to throw it. The dogs immediately backed off but it gave me a bit of a scare. Next trip into town I bought a black widow type catapult on beach road and have used it on the dogs since. Now they see me coming and run off immediately. From my point of view only an idiot would feed and encourage the presence of a pack of disease ridden vermin.

56 minutes ago, imagemaestro said:

I have experienced the phenomena of soi dogs attacking foreigners only.  I suspect it is because we "smell" differently to the locals due to diet or genetics.  Canines respond to strangers with barking and rushing behaviour ( in aggressive ones biting).

The average Thai response is what I find odd.   It is either indifference or amusement.  There is no or rarely any attempt to stop or control the dog or dogs. I have sometimes suspected encouragement.  The dogs undisciplined, restrained or encouraged by amusement or otherwise becomes programmed into the behaviour.

see/smell/sense foreigner = rush, bite attack      conduct unchecked or encouraged        repeat

Of course until they meet me.  Large walking stick and spray and willing to use it on them.... and angry owners if need be.

On the Indonesian island of Bali, the soi dogs there only bark at people wearing long trousers.  Almost all of these are tourists from Java.

Maybe in Kao Lak they don't like shorts!

Thai dogs don't like foreigners much. They are always suspicious, and they are in defense mode when you look at them, or try to nice.

Better don't look at them and walk in your own rhythm to avoid any confrontation.

Be watchful when you pass temple, that's where pack of dogs suddenly appears in front of you no where, all bark with same decibel at the same time.

5 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

dogs can tell if you are fearful and become more aggressive.

i have been in Thailand three years and have never had a single problem with soi dogs because I don't do anything aggressive. and they remember you and respond accordingly.

and after feeding the soi dogs on my street some hotdogs they love me now. The Thais are amazed as the dogs run to me with tails wagging. I know this run contrary to expats thinking who hate soi dogs. And if you think the dogs don't know you hate them or fear them, even at a distance, you are wrong.

I disagree 100%.

The soi dogs where I lived tried to bite me for no reason, so I had to carry a stick, which they ran away from at just the sight of.

This problem is because Thais won't keep their dogs locked on their property, and as not neutered they breed loads of unwanted beasts which are left to become feral.

The cops on Ao Lak should have picked up all dogs without owners and put them down. Won't happen for the usual reasons.

10 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I disagree 100%.

The soi dogs where I lived tried to bite me for no reason, so I had to carry a stick, which they ran away from at just the sight of.

This problem is because Thais won't keep their dogs locked on their property, and as not neutered they breed loads of unwanted beasts which are left to become feral.

The cops on Ao Lak should have picked up all dogs without owners and put them down. Won't happen for the usual reasons.

For many of the same reasons you have noted ,I always carry a dog stick with my bicycle

1 hour ago, imagemaestro said:

The way it was explained to me is if you're in a public place for example the middle of a public Street you can do anything that you like to the dog including killing it

if the dog is on private property you cannot do anything to the dog

1 hour ago, kannot said:

id  like to know  more about "this  law of letting your dogs  out to attack people"

http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-lifestyle/Law-Order-dogs-attack-ownership-laws/62907

apparently it is ok as long as they only attack foreigners who must have done something wrong in a previous life or something against a thai person in this life.

"But the police could not be sure that these were not just strays so an investigation is on"

Let me give the police a clue.   Strays are any dogs not under the control of their owners, either personally or by means of a fenced off area.  Soi dogs are therefore strays.

Of course the tourists bitten are of no consequence other than that being bitten might damage tourism.

Edited by Retiredandhappyhere
Incomplete

Ao lak ? Never heard of it. I live in Khao Lak area, and didn't have any trouble with the dogs so far ( lived on the Gulf islands, like Samui and Koh Tao, dog trouble was much worse there ). 

Maybe the story is just as much BS as the spelling of "Ao Lak". 

They bite my Thai colleagues all the time when trying to feed them here in Chonburi area.  Barely a month goes by without 1 or more needing to get rabies shots after being bitten.  Cat's also do some biting.

1 hour ago, NextStationBangkok said:

Thai dogs don't like foreigners much. They are always suspicious, and they are in defense mode when you look at them, or try to nice.

Better don't look at them and walk in your own rhythm to avoid any confrontation.

Are you alluding to the dogs or foreigners??