Currency exchange

joepattaya1961

Since I'm leaving Thailand I had to change my Thai assets into Euro. 

You may think: "No phomphem!", but it's a real pain to exchange currencies, especially buying foreign currency is a disaster.

First I tried a few exchange booths.........."No have Mrrrr", maybe in the evening but then not more than a few hundred Euro. 

A few days before D-Day (day of leaving) I went to a major sub-branch of Kasikorn along Jomtien Beach Road.

Upon my request of changing THB into Euro..........."Sorry Misterrr, no have! You go to Kasikorn South Pattaya na!!"

Next stop Kasikorn South Pattaya.....Pattaya's Kasikorn head office with currency exchage booth. I was pretty sure that I'd succeed there.

"No have Misterr, sorry!! Go to Kasikorn at Central......they have sure!"

I demanded that they'd make a call to verifiy and so they did. 

Upon arrival at KBank Central I asked for Euro's and that they were just called by KBank South Pattaya. 

"Sorry, no have sir!"

My fuse was close to ignition, so I started to ask for the manager (I rarely ask for managers) and suddenly people start to act. 

Instead of using the available exhange booth I was directed to the regular teller-counter and from a stack of 100 Euro bills my desired amount was taken. 

Moral: As with many other things, buying foreign currency isn't very obvious. Take your time and be prepared for a walk around. 

BTW.........If you have a foreign currency account there's no problem in getting a pay out in the corresponding currency. 

The purchasing of foreign currency from banks is regulated. You can't just waltz into a bank and buy large sums of foreign currency without the proper documents. Obviously, the government wants to know what you're going to do with it and where the Thai money came from that you're using to buy it with. Sure, you can get small amounts from money changers, but strictly speaking, they have regulations to adhere to. You'll get a better rate at money changers than at a bank.

http://www.thaitradeusa.com/home/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/Exchange-Control-Regulations-in-Thailand-A-Guide-for-the-General-Public.pdf

Edited by tropo

• 1 month later...