How to convince my parents that I don't want to do my college in Thailand?

I am a 17 year old Thai, who grew up in India. I have almost finished my A levels now and I am planning to do something in the Math-Physics stream. My father lives in Bangkok and I have been living with my grandmother and brother. He says I should study in Mahidol but I don't see the point in studying there, I want to study Singapore but they say no. Part of why I don't want to move to Thailand is because I don't know the basics of Thai language, my tutors say why are you going to a country where your degree won't be recognised and I am not interested in wearing a uniform for the rest of my 4 years again. What should I do? Should I study there? Is it a good city to study Math and Physics?

Thailand has a national Entrance Exam for university admission. If you can't read and write Thai, that should end the matter. I don't know if there is anywhere that you could study Math and Physics in Bangkok in English, and it sounds as though you don't care to know either ! Best of luck to you !

Thailand has a national Entrance Exam for university admission. If you can't read and write Thai, that should end the matter. I don't know if there is anywhere that you could study Math and Physics in Bangkok in English, and it sounds as though you don't care to know either ! Best of luck to you !

Errrr, how about Mahidol University like the OP said.
https://www.bachelorstudies.com/Bachelor-of-Science-in-Physics/Thailand/MUIC-Study-in-Thailand/

I am a 17 year old Thai, who grew up in India. I have almost finished my A levels now and I am planning to do something in the Math-Physics stream. My father lives in Bangkok and I have been living with my grandmother and brother. He says I should study in Mahidol but I don't see the point in studying there, I want to study Singapore but they say no. Part of why I don't want to move to Thailand is because I don't know the basics of Thai language, my tutors say why are you going to a country where your degree won't be recognised and I am not interested in wearing a uniform for the rest of my 4 years again. What should I do? Should I study there? Is it a good city to study Math and Physics?

Pay for your own education and you can go where you like. Every think of that?

There's some harsh comments here for a very young man seeking advice. Singapore has to be first choice, you'll notice his English, spelling and grammar, is perfect. He will immediately participate in an undoubtedly rigorous and demanding course, a far higher standard than you can expect here.  No proof, but I am told that all third level students get a degree handed to them with theatrical ceremony whatever their achievement.

To illustrate my misgivings of the Thai state schools I tell the story of my wife's children who came with her, aged 18 and 16, to live with me in Australia. I showed them a map of the world, pointed at a place and asked them to name it. They had no idea. That's Africa I said.   Their final school leaving certificate graded them on "being a good Thai citizen" ie reluctance to rock the boat.

There comes a time in our lives when we must all stand up to our fathers, Michael, this is it.

Tertiary education is not free, even in the west.  He will need support financially so must convince his parents of his choice. Personally I would not subject my child to a regime hell bent on getting everyone in uniform, obedient and compliant. Singapore I know is strong on discipline but does it have a military uniform fixation?  It is also a hugely successful place and a degree from there, I'll bet, will carry much more weight in his future career.  A man who loves his son should not let his ego get in the way of his future success.

Undergraduate fees is very expensive, the cost in total ranges between S$39,736 - S$48,836. I had thought of studying abroad since I was 13, and have only saved up 9000 Rupees. It is a very meagre amount since I was never allowed to do a part time job and was never allowed to open a bank account. It is just the Christmas money saved up over time.

Edited by Light Michaels

Well I trust your father can afford 1.5 million baht a year plus living costs in an expensive place. I've looked at your figures and it all comes down to finance.  I don't know your circumstances, perhaps within his budget he's doing the best he can for you.

A good quality degree from Mahidol will be recognised outside of Thailand. This is obviously true because plenty of Thai people do their Masters abroad. If their undergraduate degree was unrecognised this would not be possible.

Knuckle down, get your degree and then you have an argument about taking a Masters elsewhere.

17 hours ago, Daryle said:

He doesn't have to rely on his parents money. He's old enough to set his own life path. Nothing wrong with that advice, speaking as a self made man!

And what path would you recommend to a 17 year old kid that will allow him to bankroll a $100,000- 200,000 college fund while in Thailand living with his folks and no WP, or in India where his passport allows him to work.  That is, before he's retired.

17 hours ago, nanglong218 said:

Tertiary education is not free, even in the west.  He will need support financially so must convince his parents of his choice. Personally I would not subject my child to a regime hell bent on getting everyone in uniform, obedient and compliant. Singapore I know is strong on discipline but does it have a military uniform fixation?  It is also a hugely successful place and a degree from there, I'll bet, will carry much more weight in his future career.  A man who loves his son should not let his ego get in the way of his future success.

Ever thought about the possibility that it isn't his ego but financial position?

L. Michael,

Where do you see your future? Which passport do you have or are eligible for? Where will you work in the future? At what age will you have to choose which passport you have? 18?

These questions are more important than where you wish to study. 

Maybe you father believes there is a better future for you in Thailand rather than in India. That is why he wants you to study here? The study in Thailand may not be about the science or physics it may simply be about language?

How old is your brother? Older or younger? If older ask him what he would do. Maybe he had to make the same choice? If younger you also need to talk to him as he may, one day, have the same dilemma.

Edited by VocalNeal

Lots of young people pay their own way around the world! That's my advice to this young man, if he doesn't like his parents' rules. Of course, if you're inclined to offer a scholarship he may take up you kind offer.

FritsSikkink, I did add that point later at post 14. We don't know his father's financial circumstances. Nor do I know the respect for and worth of a Thai qualification. I just hope this obviously intelligent and well educated young man finds a way to fulfill his potential.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/22/2017 at 2:39 PM, sanemax said:

It will take you a year or two to get to a level of speaking Thai to understand the lessons , by then, you will be way behind in the course and will probably fail your exams

Madhidol has several English language programs across several faculties, as do several other Thai Universities. 

Perhaps his father has already established this point, perhaps it's why his father is specific about Mahidol.

Another consideration is whether the young man wants to / will have to ultimately live with his family in Bkk, perhaps long-term or forever, if true then as a separate issue he needs to get started to learn to speak read and write Thai. .

5 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Madhidol has several English language programs across several faculties, as do several other Thai Universities. 

Perhaps his father has already established this point, perhaps it's why his father is specific about Mahidol.

Another consideration is whether the young man wants to / will have to ultimately live with his family in Bkk, perhaps long-term or forever, if true then as a separate issue he needs to get started to learn to speak read and write Thai. .

This does appear to be the case with this course, good English is a requirement according to the link someone else posted.

How much does this cost per year vs the cost of a similar degree in Singapore ?

It's often about the money...

Edited by ukrules

On 7/22/2017 at 2:44 PM, allane said:

That's not quite true, you can find plenty of foreign students (now and in the past) who have come here with parents as very long-term expats, possibly finished high school at an international school (in Thailand) then entered an English program at one of the several Thai uni's that have English programs. They don't have to sit for the national Entrance Exam for university admission in Thailand. I can count about 5 such students (bachelor and masters students) in my current classes at 2 Bkk unis.

The fact he is Thai (his first post) but cannot speak read or write Thai does of course complicate this issue but I just can't imagine it's a total block. 

One of my Thai students from perhaps 5 years back was born in Bkk, but as a toddler went to the US to live along with her parents.  She came back to Thailand to live when she was ready to start her bachelor degree, but her spoken and written Thai was less than elementary level. She has no difficulty to enter her Thai uni. in an English program. 

Edited by scorecard

I think OP you should sit down with your dad and tell him how you see your future and for you to achieve your dream you need to have the best possible education. Dont argue with him just tell him what your dream is and that you plead with him to help you to achieve your dream. Another issue can be that he wants to see you more. This is where you could compromise and offer regular visits. If all else fails tell him you want to take a gap year.