Unsafe at work: Thai experts sound the alarm on Mental Health Day

3. 53

Are Older Men in Thailand Trading Love for Financial Ruin

4. 51

Bangkok Suffers Severe Smog as PM2.5 Levels Soar Amidst Heat Wave

5. 87

Why is Russia such a cesspool?

6. 95

Form 7162 Anybody Received Theirs Yet for 2024?

7. 0

Has my sex tourist friend found a loop hole?

8. 2,667

ICE vs EV, the debate thread

9. 68

Thai Hostages Still Missing a Year After Hamas Attack

10. 563

White Culture

11. 0

Florida Law Enforcement trying to protect the innocent,ain’t easy!

12. 87

Why is Russia such a cesspool?

13. 34

Tm47 online submission "rejected"

14. 19

Will White Women Shift Away from Republicans to Support Kamala Harris in 2024?

Russian envoy, at heart of U.S. investigations, ends tenure in Washington

Jonathan Fairfield

Russian envoy, at heart of U.S. investigations, ends tenure in Washington

r3.JPG

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Russia's ambassador to Washington Sergei Kislyak, a key figure in ongoing U.S. investigations into Moscow's meddling in the 2016 presidential election, ended his tenure on Saturday.

The Russian embassy in Washington said on its Twitter feed that Minister-Counseler and Deputy Chief of Mission Denis V. Gonchar would serve as Charge d'Affaires until Kislyak's successor arrived.

Kislyak, who held the post since 2008, is expected to be replaced by Russian Deputy Foreign Minister Anatoly Antonov.

Antonov's nomination for the post, which has yet to be approved by the Kremlin, comes at a time of intense scrutiny over Moscow-Washington relations following U.S. allegations that Russia meddled in the U.S. election last year.

Kislyak's name has emerged in relation to several of Trump's associates as a special counsel and congressional panels investigate Russian meddling and possible ties with the Trump campaign.

On Friday, the Washington Post reported Kislyak was overheard by U.S. spy agencies telling his bosses he had discussed campaign-related matters, including issues important to Moscow, with Jeff Sessions during the 2016 presidential race.

As Attorney General, Sessions recused himself in March from matters connected to an investigation by the FBI following his admission he had talked to the Russian envoy.

Sessions has denied discussing campaign issues with Russian officials and has said he only met Kislyak in his role of U.S. senator.

Former White House national security adviser Michael Flynn was forced to resign in February after it became known that he had failed to disclose the content of conversations he had with Kislyak and misled the vice president about their meetings.

Trump's senior adviser and son-in-law Jared Kushner also failed to disclose contacts with Russia when seeking his security clearance, the New York Times reported in April.

The White House disclosed in March that Kushner met with Kislyak at Trump Tower in December 2016, in addition to seeing Kislyak when he attended an April 2016 campaign speech in Washington. The White House said the December meeting was to establish "a line of communication."

Kushner also had phone calls with Kislyak between April and November 2016, Reuters reported. Kushner's attorney has said that Kushner had "no recollection" of the calls as he had participated in "thousands of calls in this time period."

Moscow has denied any interference, and Trump has said his campaign did not collude with Russia.

The White House said this week Trump would nominate Jon Huntsman as his new ambassador to Russia.

(Reporting by David Shepardson; Editing by Yara Bayoumy and Chris Reese)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2017-07-23

Interesting to see how things will work out with the new Russian Ambassador. Perhaps not the best choice is amending relations is on the agenda.

Russia Confirms 'Bull-Terrier' Ambassador to Washington

https://themoscowtimes.com/news/russia-confirms-new-bull-terrier-ambassador-to-washington-58026

EU sanctions to target Russian deputy defence minister

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-ukraine-crisis-eu-sanctions-idUSKBN0LA24L20150206

4 hours ago, Morch said:

Interesting to see how things will work out with the new Russian Ambassador. Perhaps not the best choice is amending relations is on the agenda.

Russia Confirms 'Bull-Terrier' Ambassador to Washington

https://themoscowtimes.com/news/russia-confirms-new-bull-terrier-ambassador-to-washington-58026

EU sanctions to target Russian deputy defence minister

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-ukraine-crisis-eu-sanctions-idUSKBN0LA24L20150206

Perhaps they see a weak target and plan to go after the US aggressively.  Makes sense.  Sadly!  Or, they are getting Kislyak out of there before he gets kicked out for spying. LOL

I was about to engage on an "ageist" theme about a lot of ambassadors that seem to be doing the rounds after years of....

Well not a lot of anything except being yes men and tail waggers.

There are a lot of "chaps" leaving the USS Trumptanic. Add one more shovel nose to the list.

1 hour ago, craigt3365 said:

Perhaps they see a weak target and plan to go after the US aggressively.  Makes sense.  Sadly!  Or, they are getting Kislyak out of there before he gets kicked out for spying. LOL

I don't know how replacing the ambassador relates to going after the US more aggressively. Not as if Kislyak was a pushover. Pulling him about before investigations merit kicking him out? Perhaps. But then if the findings from the investigations reach this level, the US may kick the new guy just the same. Although, such moves would mean an openly serious deterioration in relations, so hard to tell if the US will go there. There could be more mundane reasons, someone's "turn" to be appointed, Kislyak signaled for promotion, or alternatively losing favor back home. 

12 minutes ago, Morch said:

I don't know how replacing the ambassador relates to going after the US more aggressively. Not as if Kislyak was a pushover. Pulling him about before investigations merit kicking him out? Perhaps. But then if the findings from the investigations reach this level, the US may kick the new guy just the same. Although, such moves would mean an openly serious deterioration in relations, so hard to tell if the US will go there. There could be more mundane reasons, someone's "turn" to be appointed, Kislyak signaled for promotion, or alternatively losing favor back home. 

Wasn't the new guy approved by the Trump Administration a few moths back? From reading some background on him, he has a lot of experience in areas of mutual interest with the US. Wonder if the EU sanctions against him means he cannot attend meetings / conferences in the EU.

13 minutes ago, simple1 said:

Wasn't the new guy approved by the Trump Administration a few moths back? From reading some background on him, he has a lot of experience in areas of mutual interest with the US. Wonder if the EU sanctions against him means he cannot attend meetings / conferences in the EU.

Good question about the EU sanctions, I have no idea. As for being approved by the Trump administration, I think that normally, the standard practice is to inform the host country prior to making the appointment official, as to avoid complications and unpleasantness. But given that this is about Trump's administration and Putin's games, such things shouldn't come as a surprise - whether attributed to incompetence or manipulation. Possibly there's no contradiction.

Edited by Morch

How convenient.

Sessions discussed Trump campaign-related matters with Russian ambassador, U.S. intelligence intercepts show

"Russia’s ambassador to Washington told his superiors in Moscow that he discussed campaign-related matters, including policy issues important to Moscow, with Jeff Sessions during the 2016 presidential race, contrary to public assertions by the embattled attorney general, according to current and former U.S. officials."

"Ambassador Sergey Kislyak’s accounts of two conversations with Sessions — then a top foreign policy adviser to Republican candidate Donald Trump — were intercepted by U.S. spy agencies, which monitor the communications of senior Russian officials both in the United States and in Russia."

"Sessions initially failed to disclose his contacts with Kislyak and then said that the meetings were not about the Trump campaign."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/sessions-discussed-trump-campaign-related-matters-with-russian-ambassador-us-intelligence-intercepts-show/2017/07/21/3e704692-6e44-11e7-9c15-177740635e83_story.html?hpid=hp_hp-top-table-main_sessions-7pm%3Ahomepage%2Fstory&utm_term=.b5f47245458c

Edited by iReason

1 hour ago, Morch said:

Good question about the EU sanctions, I have no idea. As for being approved by the Trump administration, I think that normally, the standard practice is to inform the host country prior to making the appointment official, as to avoid complications and unpleasantness. But given that this is about Trump's administration and Putin's games, such things shouldn't come as a surprise - whether attributed to incompetence or manipulation. Possibly there's no contradiction.

... or manipulating an incompetent administration. 

Playing a sort of Devil's Advocate, here's another scenario:

Sessions (or any other person involved in one of the the alleged collusion instances) met with a Russian representative. Conversations were, presumably, more or less off the record. The Russian representative may or may not raise issues pertaining to the investigation, and Trump's guy may or may not engage. Unless there is a direct record, a whole lot can be claimed one way or the other. The Russian side, knowing communications are monitored, can then release whatever report of events, trusting it would be picked up as genuine. In a way, it's a more elegant way of sowing chaos and mistrust. It also leaves way more space for diplomatic maneuvering.

Not saying that his happened, of course. I don't know. The point is just to demonstrate that things could be more elaborate than they seem. I think Hayden (ex-CIA director) opined that the Russian intervention may be the most successful covert operation ever. All the more so if such elements as well placed agents in upper echelons or high treason were not a major part of it.

Again, that's not a defense or an apology for the Trump administration. Even if there was no actual or substantial collusion, then there could be issues of incompetence, intent - which aren't much better.

But I keep wondering is the US really wants to know. Or rather, if it can handle the truth (assuming it could be revealed). Whether the Trump administration colluded with Russia, or whether the US was taken for a ride making it think it did - both present serious question marks as to how the system works and as to whether it can be sustained. Given the current political climate and landscape (which, I'm sure, is at least in part related to Russian efforts), such public discussion as needed hard to imagine.

"On Friday, the Washington Post reported Kislyak was overheard by U.S. spy agencies telling his bosses he had discussed campaign-related matters, including issues important to Moscow, with Jeff Sessions during the 2016 presidential race."

Seems to me that it might be ordinary business for the Russian representative and his masters to want to know how both Clinton and Trump administrations would view future relations with Russia. Clinton being more of a known  than Trump they were probably more interested in Trump take on relations.  Whether Sessions or anyone else discussing Trumps public or private views (if that is what took place) with representatives of Russia does not seem to be to indicate collusion.  Collusion is a secret or illegal conspiracy to cheat or deceive others.  Where's the deception and conspiracy?  So far there is nothing nefarious to come out of any of the now 6 investigations taking place. It seems that to date it is all just the press making an issue of this and reporting unsubstantiated rumors from hidden sources. Further, It it obvious that although persons with access to the US intelligence agencies reports have evidently leaked information about what Kislyak told his superiors, they have not leaked any pertinent information indicating any nefarious dealings. It kind of indicates to me that with all the anti-Trump leaks, there have been no leaks to indicate collusion and seems to me that it would have been leaked by now if it existed.  It is difficult for me to believe any of the reports that the press makes when they give no information as to the source of the information.  I think I will just wait an see what the 6 investigations taking place report in the end.   Until then it is all just speculation based on news reports which are unverified from sources unidentified and of questionable integrity.  Basically its all just something one might see in the National Inquirer.

I wish the old chap all the best on his retirement. He appears to have worked diligently to do his job and benefit Russia.  He did his job. I wish the west had half as many men/women doing their work exceedingly well as Russian operatives appear to be doing.  Of course operatives are not normally ambassadors. I don't know what the fuss is about.

4 hours ago, Trouble said:

"On Friday, the Washington Post reported Kislyak was overheard by U.S. spy agencies telling his bosses he had discussed campaign-related matters, including issues important to Moscow, with Jeff Sessions during the 2016 presidential race."

Seems to me that it might be ordinary business for the Russian representative and his masters to want to know how both Clinton and Trump administrations would view future relations with Russia. Clinton being more of a known  than Trump they were probably more interested in Trump take on relations.  Whether Sessions or anyone else discussing Trumps public or private views (if that is what took place) with representatives of Russia does not seem to be to indicate collusion.  Collusion is a secret or illegal conspiracy to cheat or deceive others.  Where's the deception and conspiracy?  So far there is nothing nefarious to come out of any of the now 6 investigations taking place. It seems that to date it is all just the press making an issue of this and reporting unsubstantiated rumors from hidden sources. Further, It it obvious that although persons with access to the US intelligence agencies reports have evidently leaked information about what Kislyak told his superiors, they have not leaked any pertinent information indicating any nefarious dealings. It kind of indicates to me that with all the anti-Trump leaks, there have been no leaks to indicate collusion and seems to me that it would have been leaked by now if it existed.  It is difficult for me to believe any of the reports that the press makes when they give no information as to the source of the information.  I think I will just wait an see what the 6 investigations taking place report in the end.   Until then it is all just speculation based on news reports which are unverified from sources unidentified and of questionable integrity.  Basically its all just something one might see in the National Inquirer.

What's so hard to understand that the alleged intelligence leaks demonstrate contradictions with Sessions prior statements. Same applies to others in the current Administration and Trump family - the various players can deny with whatever excuse they present - but the intent is clear - misrepresentation.of the facts. 

5 hours ago, Trouble said:

The problem is Trump administration officials, at the highest levels, met with these agents and didn't report them on their security clearances.  And then lied under oath that they never met any.  That's a violation of federal law, and called perjury.  Flynn's meeting was a clear violation of the law and thus, he resigned.  Trump Jr and Kushner are in hot water due to this also.  They first lied they never met with any Russians, then it was proven they did. 

Reminds me of some who said Russia didn't do any hacking of the elections.  It's been proven they did, and admitted to by Putin.  Same thing will happen here.  As Mueller gets more and more info, and he will, details will emerge.  What's the end result?  Who knows.  But for now, it's an administration that can't be trusted.  Sad times for the US.

6 hours ago, Trouble said:

Until then it is all just speculation based on news reports which are unverified from sources unidentified and of questionable integrity.

" from sources...of questionable integrity"

Just making stuff up.

:coffee1:

Seems to me...

No worries, the wheels of justice are turning. :thumbsup:

7 hours ago, Trouble said:

The accusation isn't that Kisliyak was doing his job as ambassador and suspected spy master. 

The accusation is that Americans in the Trump campaign might have colluded with Kisliyak and other Kremlin-linked Russians.

These investigations take time. It took almost five years to prove that Clinton lied about a BJ.

You will agree that the current allegations (and so far, they are just that—allegations) are far more serious. If self-professed patriots cared so much about a BJ, they should certainly care about this, and allow the investigations to take their course.

What we know so far—not from leaked sources, but from the Trump campaign itself—looks suspicious:

Sessions failed to disclose meetings (as required) and later amended his disclosure forms.

Sessions lied under oath about those meetings and later recused himself when the lies were revealed.

Sessions specifically said that he and Kisliyak did not discuss elections. It is not proven if he lied about this as well.

This is where we are regarding just one member of the Trump team.

A similar pattern emerges (without referring to any leaks or speculation) when we look at other TOP members of the Trump team:

Kushner (senior advisor)

Don Jr (eldest son)

Manafort (campaign manager)

Flynn (national security advisor)

It is hard to see how anyone can argue that a thorough investigation is not warranted.

While some bloggers and pundits might be getting ahead of themselves, standard news reports are clear about which are the allegations and which are the facts. And there is no doubt that the facts so far revealed warrant suspicion.

T