Land Drains

I need to put in land drains around a couple of plots and am looking for a supplier of perforated drainage pipe.

My local farm shop can do grey pvc pipe with slots made from a grinder but I'm looking for the proper stuff.

Location North Chon Buri, any info gratefully received.

1 hour ago, cooked said:

Been looking for years. I drilled holes in a few pipes and it works, there's nothing magic about 'the proper stuff'.

Apart from it comes in nice long rolls and I don't have to dick about drilling and knocking 4m pipe lengths together.

Oh well, like you say, pvc and drill it is then. Cheers.

My wife needed some perforated drainage pipe. she uses the village handyman for quite a few different projects. He seems pretty clever. He used a cutoff or some call it a chop saw and cut through the PVC about three or four cuts per meter. He put a stop on the chop saw and each cut was about a third of the way through. Much faster than drilling holes and also less likely to get clogged. The carbide tipped saw blade cuts VERY quickly and cleanly..

58 minutes ago, Gary A said:

My wife needed some perforated drainage pipe. she uses the village handyman for quite a few different projects. He seems pretty clever. He used a cutoff or some call it a chop saw and cut through the PVC about three or four cuts per meter. He put a stop on the chop saw and each cut was about a third of the way through. Much faster than drilling holes and also less likely to get clogged. The carbide tipped saw blade cuts VERY quickly and cleanly..

Thanks, already put around 100m French Drain in that way, was a ball-ache cutting in the slots.

Got standing water, algae and Nostoc which is really weird stuff lying on the land.

Got maybe 750m to do now. Thinking simple stone French drain, herringbone, without the pipe, not sure it works very well though as the ditches will probably get clogged up.

Put in some open ditches round the place. Nobody in Thailand seems to bother with land drains?

Edited by grollies

This subject come  up a while ago ,some one asking about drainage pipes, no replys  for a long while  then out of the  blue  some one  found some proper flexible french drain , so go in to tv's back posts .

When you put in your drain  in got to think of the land , if it is  silty sand type of land ,you would need  a permeable membrane  over the pipes ,to stop the holes in the pipe from geting blocked up ,with some gravel back  fill  .

You might find going through the land with a sub soiler  ,open the land out  will help with drainage .

Or if the land is heavy  maybe a mole drain would do the job .you you will not find one in Thailand, plenty on the internet , give a local engineering  shop some plans they  could soon make one for you .

Why  Thai's do not drain they land offtern thought that myself , seeing fields sat in water  for days after some rain ,cost is the main factor ,puting in the pipe ,digging  ditches to take the  water away ,if you only have a few rie of land  not economical .

1 hour ago, kickstart said:

This subject come  up a while ago ,some one asking about drainage pipes, no replys  for a long while  then out of the  blue  some one  found some proper flexible french drain , so go in to tv's back posts .

When you put in your drain  in got to think of the land , if it is  silty sand type of land ,you would need  a permeable membrane  over the pipes ,to stop the holes in the pipe from geting blocked up ,with some gravel back  fill  .

You might find going through the land with a sub soiler  ,open the land out  will help with drainage .

Or if the land is heavy  maybe a mole drain would do the job .you you will not find one in Thailand, plenty on the internet , give a local engineering  shop some plans they  could soon make one for you .

Why  Thai's do not drain they land offtern thought that myself , seeing fields sat in water  for days after some rain ,cost is the main factor ,puting in the pipe ,digging  ditches to take the  water away ,if you only have a few rie of land  not economical .

Did search back through TVF mate, couldn't find a thread, that's why I posted.

I'll keep looking, missus suggested talking to road contractors so will try that, new road going in round here.

If I find any source I'll post it up. Cheers.

2 hours ago, grollies said:

Did search back through TVF mate, couldn't find a thread, that's why I posted.

I'll keep looking, missus suggested talking to road contractors so will try that, new road going in round here.

If I find any source I'll post it up. Cheers.

www.uhm.co.th    Select English menu, click Products tab, Select Pipes and Fittings, click Drainage pipe. Pretty expensive if you've 750m to do. I think Alibaba will offer a more economical solution.

Alibaba offers more choices including a company in Nonthaburi "The Companion Service Company Limited" that has 200mm diameter coils. 1000m minimum order.

Edited by lannarebirth

6 hours ago, lannarebirth said:

www.uhm.co.th    Select English menu, click Products tab, Select Pipes and Fittings, click Drainage pipe. Pretty expensive if you've 750m to do. I think Alibaba will offer a more economical solution.

Alibaba offers more choices including a company in Nonthaburi "The Companion Service Company Limited" that has 200mm diameter coils. 1000m minimum order.

Thanks, I'll have a look.

I see the catalogue/price list at the link lannarebirth provided  (here's the direct link: http://www.uhm.co.th/upload/PL ราคาท่อ Neodrain และข้อต่อ Neodrain –UHM Group 2558_1439205640.pdf) shows 2 pieces of geotextile on the front cover but they don't seem to sell that part of the drainage system.

I bought a big roll of geotextile some years ago for this purpose (to drain a garden and perimeter of a house rather than a farm) and I remember the promotional blurb said geotextile is cheaper than using the gravel that is normally used when making French drains; in other words the geotextile is a modern substitute for gravel.

Actually, what I did was a combination - like a sausage - with drilled/slotted PVC piping in the middle, surrounded by some gravel, wrapped with the geotextile and then soil placed back on top of the "sausage". 

The geotextile product I bought was "POLYFELT  TS30". That was in 2013. The sales person I spoke to at that time was Khun Isara 0898141166.

3 hours ago, JungleBiker said:

I see the catalogue/price list at the link lannarebirth provided  (here's the direct link: http://www.uhm.co.th/upload/PL ราคาท่อ Neodrain และข้อต่อ Neodrain –UHM Group 2558_1439205640.pdf) shows 2 pieces of geotextile on the front cover but they don't seem to sell that part of the drainage system.

I bought a big roll of geotextile some years ago for this purpose (to drain a garden and perimeter of a house rather than a farm) and I remember the promotional blurb said geotextile is cheaper than using the gravel that is normally used when making French drains; in other words the geotextile is a modern substitute for gravel.

Actually, what I did was a combination - like a sausage - with drilled/slotted PVC piping in the middle, surrounded by some gravel, wrapped with the geotextile and then soil placed back on top of the "sausage". 

The geotextile product I bought was "POLYFELT  TS30". That was in 2013. The sales person I spoke to at that time was Khun Isara 0898141166.

Thanks for the info

On 7/29/2017 at 11:09 PM, grollies said:

Thanks for the info

I find it difficult to believe that geotextile can be used as a replacement for gravel. You put  a pipe in the ground, wrap it with geo textile and then fill up with soil? No, that means that the surface water has no rapid way to get to the pipe. The geotextile is there to stop soil washing into and blocking the pipe.

Traditionally we used graded gravel, fine stuff over the pipe, succeeded by gravel that accorded to a certain sieve curve.

french drain.jpg

4 hours ago, cooked said:

I find it difficult to believe that geotextile can be used as a replacement for gravel. You put  a pipe in the ground, wrap it with geo textile and then fill up with soil? No, that means that the surface water has no rapid way to get to the pipe. The geotextile is there to stop soil washing into and blocking the pipe.

Traditionally we used graded gravel, fine stuff over the pipe, succeeded by gravel that accorded to a certain sieve curve.

french drain.jpg

That's not what he's saying he did.

Standard practice is to dig the trench, lay geotextile, add gravel, lay slotted pipe, cover with more gravel, then wrap the geotextile over the top and backfill with soil.....I think.

That's how I'm doing it anyway.:tongue:

1 minute ago, grollies said:

That's not what he's saying he did.

Standard practice is to dig the trench, lay geotextile, add gravel, lay slotted pipe, cover with more gravel, then wrap the geotextile over the top and backfill with soil.....I think.

That's how I'm doing it anyway.:tongue:

??? That's what I said''' I think...

Just now, farmerjo said:

Would contours be easier and cheaper than drains.

Funny, was walking around today thinking that.

Got some ditches in already but some flat land (around 1 rai) out front that I want to landscape and gets really boggy and grows algae in the wet. Ditches there would spoil it.

The rest however I may ditch.

Thanks for the idea.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Cooked, 

I think you're right and I was wrong to suggest that geotextile could be used as a replacement for gravel. I think what I read a few years ago was that geotextile could reduce (not replace) the amount of gravel needed. 

I just tried to re-find the info that I read about the above but could not find it. Instead what I found was this: http://anewhouse.com.au/2012/06/geotextile-around-drainage-pipes/ 

The guy is basically saying that the way I did it (which is similar to your picture above but with the textile wrapped over the top and then a layer of gravel on the top to keep the textile in place and hide it out of harms way), is not a good idea because the textile can become clogged with fine particles. I did wonder at the time if that could happen and this guy is saying yes it does.

JB 

Now I found it. My memory was not so good. This is the product that I read about a few years ago: Tencate Megadrain http://www.buildsite.com/pdf/tcmirafi/TenCate-Polyfelt-Megadrain-Product-Data-B23090.pdf 

"One roll replaces up to 20 tons of gravel."

I did use a TenCate Polyfelt product but it was not Megadrain. 

This article also says that geotextile can eventually clog: 

http://sesl.com.au/blog/are-you-improving-drainage-or-just-burying-money/ 

... and then of course there is the system used by german emigrants to Russia in the 19th century: bundled wood faggots buried in the earth, worked for over a hundred years until the Communists decided to plough 10 cm deeper than the stupid Germans, resulting in complete crop failure in the area for many years.

I have myself found remnants of this kind of drainage in Switzerland, still working to some extent.

... and then of course there is the system used by german emigrants to Russia in the 19th century: bundled wood faggots buried in the earth, worked for over a hundred years until the Communists decided to plough 10 cm deeper than the stupid Germans, resulting in complete crop failure in the area for many years.
I have myself found remnants of this kind of drainage in Switzerland, still working to some extent.
Wood breaks down much quicker here than in temperate zones. It'll make nice soil though.

Sent from my Cray II supercomputer

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/17/2017 at 7:46 AM, JaseTheBass said:

Wood breaks down much quicker here than in temperate zones. It'll make nice soil though.

Sent from my Cray II supercomputer

Did you read about the 4000 year old wooden dugout found in shallow water recently?