Bangkok street food ban

oval

3 hours ago, sawadee1947 said:

I enjoy the lack of all these street food stalls. If there is a no hygiene control they can vanish from tomorrow on.

Ive never been sick from street food. Eaten in a few restaurants that made me crook as a dog though.

1 hour ago, oval said:

Posts saying it's only farangs that want street food are retarded. How about the thousands of Thai 9-5ers who eat it daily cos it is cheap, convenient and tasty? Or the thousands who rely upon it for an income?

You're reading a forum for foreigners in Thailand so of course you're gonna hear complaints from foreigners. Not a lot of Thais posting here, and they complain little in public anyway. What are they gonna do - protest? Good luck.

Arguments re. tax evasion - who gives a fck? The only place tax money goes is into the pockets of senior officials.

Bring back the street food.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

I know my gf relies on street food every day. Her room has no kitchen and she doesn't have the funds to eat at a restaurant very often. It's not just foreigners that are being effected, but average ties that make 15,000 baht and less.

6 hours ago, geriatrickid said:

just like drug  users  and whores operate in some areas and leave their garbage behind. Have you considered that the   people running legal businesses in the area were being cheated and that the quality of life of the locals was destroyed because of the noise and mess and congestion from these illegal  vendors?

Farang knows better. Farang wear big amulet and wai to tuk tuk driver. farang more thai than Thai. Farang say very important have illegal filthy vendor who not pay tax and put burden on municipal services because  farang want to eat mystery meat sausage and have heart attack by age 70.

Those diners left a mess on the beach. No one would have said anything if they didn't leave their broken glass beer bottles, food leftovers, syringes, cigarette butts, used condoms behind. No big loss. It's time for Samui to go a bit more upscale. the junketeers can go back to the Gold Coast or try out the water world  in Luton, or have their kabobs in Malmo.

When the heart is diseased, one has no other choice but to go with drastic invasive surgery.

The vendors were  asked to behave responsibly to put garbage in bins, not to dump oil and  and to follow the health and safety regulations. They chose not to . This is their doing. Good riddance.

Indeed. Obviously someone is not a selfish prat.

I would have used a tank to crush the vendor stalls and fined the customers 1000 baht for littering.  Could have easily made  250,000 baht a day on fines.

I am not saying remove the Thai street food In one area the street vendors are gone and the local business aer not doing well at all The reason is simple Nothing to draw people to the area So removing the street vendors was bad

If you are worried about littering then instill serious fines If you levy a 5000 baht find against a vendor that showed disrespect and littlered that would stop real fast after a few fines where handed out

So to say that the street food vendors are all dirty is lumping them into one and its just not true

This is hurting employment as well

As for taxes No one pays tax if then make under a certain amount My guess is a lot of food vendors are not making a lot of money and probably do not meet the tax threshold

If you want to make them accountable then charge them  2000 baht per month under a license

There are a number of good ways to control rather than ban The government is just lazy and feels a clean sweep is good

It will come back to haunt them 

You are just spewing garbage  

I noticed that a previously vacant rat infested lot on the corner of Ladprao Rd and Soi 48 previously had a few street vendors chased off by the police. Then a construction project was started. I guessed another mansion or vacant business property. Now I see it has a concrete slab with lighting apparently going to be either a parking lot, (bad spot for that) or a safe legal location for many street vendors? 

Edited by Grumpy Duck
Oopsie

I know my gf relies on street food every day. Her room has no kitchen and she doesn't have the funds to eat at a restaurant very often. It's not just foreigners that are being effected, but average ties that make 15,000 baht and less.

Nonsense she can buy a chicken soup in any of the packed out air conditioning malls for 30 baht.. Fact is she is to lazy to get off her ass and make an effort.

The answer is in finding the middle way. Controlled street food stalls leaving room for pedestrians. The wanton disregard of so many street food vendors of pedestrians rights is the cause of this conflict. Had the vendors shown some respect for pedestrians instead of only greed in occupying land that they have no rights too things might not have got this far.

It is a self inflicted injury to the vendors. They deserve everything the authorities do to them. It is their fault.

3 hours ago, InMyShadow said:

Nonsense she can buy a chicken soup in any of the packed out air conditioning malls for 30 baht.. Fact is she is to lazy to get off her ass and make an effort.

You're kind of a <deleted>, aren't you?

17 hours ago, ROGER DUNN said:

Bangkok is just not the same now the street food vendors have gone, shame on the Government, all the Charm has gone now !;!

If you consider out of control rats, cockroaches by the millions, trash and stench,  you can have that charm.

16 hours ago, Pinchy1111 said:

Ive never been sick from street food. Eaten in a few restaurants that made me crook as a dog though.

Ok. And some men do not contract HIV after they engage in unprotected anal intercourse. It doesn't mean that it is not a dangerous activity.

14 hours ago, realenglish1 said:

I am not saying remove the Thai street food In one area the street vendors are gone and the local business aer not doing well at all The reason is simple Nothing to draw people to the area So removing the street vendors was bad

If you are worried about littering then instill serious fines If you levy a 5000 baht find against a vendor that showed disrespect and littlered that would stop real fast after a few fines where handed out

So to say that the street food vendors are all dirty is lumping them into one and its just not true

As for taxes No one pays tax if then make under a certain amount My guess is a lot of food vendors are not making a lot of money and probably do not meet the tax threshold

If you want to make them accountable then charge them  2000 baht per month under a license

There are a number of good ways to control rather than ban The government is just lazy and feels a clean sweep is good

Myth 1: The street vendors are all poor.

Realty check: No. Some of the prime locations had significant turnover. It's much like the masseurs and  sales touts who worked the beaches of Patong. Westerners assumed they were impoverished folk. It turned out that the kingpins were making tens of thousands of baht a week in high season.  The BKK street vendors are paying "rent" to untouchable gangsters.Removing these vendors puts a dent in the gangsters' income.

The vendors are drawing on a lot of municipal services and not paying for it. They illegally tap into power lines, and  in some places  cut into water pipes contaminating the line and not paying for water taken. They dump their waste without covering any of the costs of the sewage and trash pickup.  The BMA tried to organize the vendors and license them over the years. The vendors refused.. 

11 hours ago, Grumpy Duck said:

I noticed that a previously vacant rat infested lot on the corner of Ladprao Rd and Soi 48 previously had a few street vendors chased off by the police. Then a construction project was started. I guessed another mansion or vacant business property. Now I see it has a concrete slab with lighting apparently going to be either a parking lot, (bad spot for that) or a safe legal location for many street vendors? 

If there  is a slant and drainage, it is the new vendor locations that the BMA wanted to set up years ago  but was stopped from doing so.

31 minutes ago, Chou Anou said:

You're kind of a <deleted>, aren't you?

I think his point is that in BKK there are restaurants operating 24/7.  The other option is that your delicate flower could learn to boil water to make her noodles.

On 7/25/2017 at 4:39 AM, realenglish1 said:

Actually,  food vendors make a decent amount of coin and should be paying taxes. Most of them do make over 30k a month. This is certainly over the tax minimum tax threshold. 

6 hours ago, theguyfromanotherforum said:

Actually,  food vendors make a decent amount of coin and should be paying taxes. Most of them do make over 30k a month. This is certainly over the tax minimum tax threshold. 

:cheesy::cheesy::cheesy:

An expert who has made a 3 year study of street food vendors in Thailand for the University of?

10 hours ago, InMyShadow said:

Little charmer are'nt you. Got a lovely way with words.

Such a ray of sunshine.

6 hours ago, geriatrickid said:

If you consider out of control rats, cockroaches by the millions, trash and stench,  you can have that charm.

Ok. And some men do not contract HIV after they engage in unprotected anal intercourse. It doesn't mean that it is not a dangerous activity.

Myth 1: The street vendors are all poor.

Realty check: No. Some of the prime locations had significant turnover. It's much like the masseurs and  sales touts who worked the beaches of Patong. Westerners assumed they were impoverished folk. It turned out that the kingpins were making tens of thousands of baht a week in high season.  The BKK street vendors are paying "rent" to untouchable gangsters.Removing these vendors puts a dent in the gangsters' income.

The vendors are drawing on a lot of municipal services and not paying for it. They illegally tap into power lines, and  in some places  cut into water pipes contaminating the line and not paying for water taken. They dump their waste without covering any of the costs of the sewage and trash pickup.  The BMA tried to organize the vendors and license them over the years. The vendors refused.. 

If there  is a slant and drainage, it is the new vendor locations that the BMA wanted to set up years ago  but was stopped from doing so.

I think his point is that in BKK there are restaurants operating 24/7.  The other option is that your delicate flower could learn to boil water to make her noodles.

Ray of Sunshine 2.0.

On 7/27/2017 at 3:55 AM, fordguy61mi said:

And you're an a$$hole. I'd rather be lazy.

Hunderds of  packed food courts all with thais and your telling me she is not a lazy cow? maybe the thousands that make the effort are the lazy ones lol