Chinese girl, 11, dies after snorkelling off Phuket

webfact

Chinese girl, 11, dies after snorkelling off Phuket

Eakkapop Thongtub

1500872075_1-org.jpg

The 11-year-old girl, Song Jinghan, was initially rushed to the Phuket Provincial Hospital in Rassada, where she was unconscious and unresponsive. Photo: Eakkapop Thongtub

PHUKET: -- An 11-year-old Chinese girl has died at a hospital in Phuket after being pulled from the water unconscious during a day-trip snorkelling tour to Koh Khai Nok, east of Phuket, yesterday (July 23).

The girl, Song Jinghan, on holiday with her family from Shandong Province in China, was pronounced dead at Bangkok Hospital Phuket this morning (July 24), confirmed Maj Ekkachai Siri of the Phuket Tourist Police.

Full story: http://www.thephuketnews.com/chinese-girl-11-dies-after-snorkelling-off-phuket-63162.php

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2017-07-24

1 hour ago, LivinginKata said:

Yes .... condolences. But what were the parents thinking allowing an 11 to snorkel without any off site pool training.

SOP.

Thousands of Chinese do the same every day, nearly all not knowing how to swim.

I was in that area yesterday but was not aware of this incident. These tour boats turn up and put 20+ tourists in the water with no supervision and likely zero training so it is bound to happen.

Also if they used the new type masks now readily available in Phuket with all the valves and better positioning of the inlet this type of incident would not happen.

mask.jpg

1 hour ago, LivinginKata said:

Yes .... condolences. But what were the parents thinking allowing an 11 to snorkel without any off site pool training.

I guess a lot of people have not been educated about the dangers. Maybe they have been encouraged to believe their children are in good hands and will be thoroughly safe.

Hopefully, some lessons can be learned from this tragedy.

43 minutes ago, chickenslegs said:

<snip>

Hopefully, some lessons can be learned from this tragedy.

I doubt it ... it's all about making money for the operators and tour companies. Likely low budget, no qualified instructors, no tour/diving licence ... etc etc

5 hours ago, LivinginKata said:

Where is your evidence for this ? It is probably correct but I can see nothing in the article which suggests she was not an extremely experienced swimmer with years of snorkeling experience. 

50 minutes ago, futsukayoi said:

Where is your evidence for this ? It is probably correct but I can see nothing in the article which suggests she was not an extremely experienced swimmer with years of snorkeling experience. 

Looking at these tours on an almost daily basis, your suggestion is highly unlikely.

Over the years I have seen many groups of people in Thailand swimming, and so any of

the Chinese do not have a clue about swimming. I seen a grown woman almost drown as

she kept waving her head around and the snorkel would submerge and she would gulp down

some water.  I hollered at the crew on the boat she was near and one jumped in the water and

saved her. The others near her had no idea what to do so they just stayed away from her and

hung onto their life jackets and paddled around.

Geezer

No charges, no changes after death of 11-year-old girl snorkelling off Phuket

Shela Riva

1501049781_1-org.jpg

The drowning death of 11-year-old Chinese tourist Song Jinghan

PHUKET: -- Tourist Police have confirmed that no charges will be held against the tour company or boat company involved in the drowning death of a young 11-year-old Chinese girl who was snorkelling with her family on a day trip off Koh Khai Nok last Sunday (July 23).

“We have not charged the companies involved. We will not charge them, because they had a permit and followed the law,” Maj Ekkachai Siri of the Phuket Tourist Police told The Phuket News today (July 26).

The girl, Song Jinghan, on holiday with her family from Shandong Province in China, was pulled from the water unconscious and rushed to Phuket Provincial Hospital on Sunday. She was transferred to Bangkok Hospital, where she later died. 

Full story: http://www.thephuketnews.com/no-charges-no-changes-after-death-of-11-year-old-girl-snorkelling-off-phuket-63195.php

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2017-07-26

10 minutes ago, webfact said:

No charges, no changes after death of 11-year-old girl snorkelling off Phuket

Shela Riva

1501049781_1-org.jpg

The drowning death of 11-year-old Chinese tourist Song Jinghan

PHUKET: -- Tourist Police have confirmed that no charges will be held against the tour company or boat company involved in the drowning death of a young 11-year-old Chinese girl who was snorkelling with her family on a day trip off Koh Khai Nok last Sunday (July 23).

“We have not charged the companies involved. We will not charge them, because they had a permit and followed the law,” Maj Ekkachai Siri of the Phuket Tourist Police told The Phuket News today (July 26).

The girl, Song Jinghan, on holiday with her family from Shandong Province in China, was pulled from the water unconscious and rushed to Phuket Provincial Hospital on Sunday. She was transferred to Bangkok Hospital, where she later died. 

Full story: http://www.thephuketnews.com/no-charges-no-changes-after-death-of-11-year-old-girl-snorkelling-off-phuket-63195.php

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2017-07-26

Only in Thailand,.....

5 minutes ago, MaxLee said:

Only in Thailand,.....

i dont think so.

A tour operator can not watch every customer at all times, no where in the world do you have 1:1 supervision for snorkelling.

The parents/family are to blame, if i was snorkelling with my 11yo, I'd keep an eye on them myself, especially if I knew they was inexperienced or not a strong swimmer

9 hours ago, Sigma6 said:

i dont think so.

A tour operator can not watch every customer at all times, no where in the world do you have 1:1 supervision for snorkelling.

The parents/family are to blame, if i was snorkelling with my 11yo, I'd keep an eye on them myself, especially if I knew they was inexperienced or not a strong swimmer

+1....Agree.

17 hours ago, Sigma6 said:

i dont think so.

Probably they could not do that, but were snorkeling themselves without knowing how to swim.

There is something structurally wrong with the way these tours are marketed and sold.

Edited by stevenl