Moving to another province; renewing retirement visa

Searched before asking, but apologies if this is a rehash.

Details:

Farang and long time retirement visa holder, 10+ years renewing in Pattaya

Married a few years ago. Two kids. Maintained retirement visa as it was just easier than changing to marriage visa.

Owned condo in Pattaya and used that as address for visa and subsequent renewals.

Moving to Bueng Kan with wife and kids to house we built (in wife's name, of course).

Current retirement visa expires early August 2017.

Questions:

On the Chonburi immigration front I have to file change of address (T28) I believe. Is there anything else needs done in Chonburi immigration?

Can I/should I renew in Bueng Kan immigration, or should I go ahead and renew in Chonburi and make the move after?

Any gotchas from anyone about renewing visa and moving at the same time?

Specifically, what must I do in Bueng Kan? Are there other laws and regulations,  for example do I need to register with the police or someone in the village? Any forms or paperwork associated with this? Will there be a problem with me living in a house in my wife's name even though I am on a retirement visa and not a marriage visa (we do have English and translated versions of marriage license and was registered with embassy long ago)?

Thanks for any specifics from those of you that have changed providence s.

You will not do your change of address to Chonburi immigration. It will only needs to be done at Bueng Kan immigration.

If you did your extension at Chonburi immigration you would still have to change your address at Bueng Kan immigration to do your 90 day reports there.

Your wife should do a TM30 report to Bueng Kan immigration to report your presence since she is the legal owner of your house. Nothing more than that needs to be done.

You didn't say which method you are using: B 800,000 in the bank, pension, or a combination of these. Remember that for the money in the bank and combination methods, your money has to be in the bank for 3 months on the date you apply. With your current extension to stay expiring in Aug., you don't want to move your funds now, or to be travelling back to Jomtien/Pattaya to get a bank letter.

17 minutes ago, allane said:

With your current extension to stay expiring in Aug., you don't want to move your funds now, or to be travelling back to Jomtien/Pattaya to get a bank letter.

He should be able to get the letter from a local branch  where he will be living. Most banks allow that.

• Like 1

First thing to do is formerly change your address at Bueng Kan  Immigration.

File a TM28 (change of address) and a TM30 (notification where alien is staying).

Under section 37 of the Immigration Act, aliens must notify a change of address to their local

Immigration office within 24 hours of taking up the new residence, using form TM28.

Documents for Change of Address.

1. Completed for TM28.

2. Passport + Copies of;

- Passport homepage.

- Last Visa.

- Last extension.

- Last entry stamp.

3. TM6 Departure Card + Copy

4. Map pinpointing and detailing place of residence.

5. Copy of House owners Tabien Baan.

6. Copy of House owners ID card.

Under section 38 of the Immigration Act, the owner, house-master, or possessor of the address

where alien is taking up residence must notify the local Immigration office within 24 hours of the

aliens arrival, using form TM30.

Documents as above, but using form TM30.

All copies should be signed by the document holder.

Thai Immigration Act BE 2522.

http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/en/doc/Immigration_Act.pdf

Download Forms.

http://www.immigration.go.th/

Once you've completed the change of address, you can then file for your extension based on retirement.

53 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

He should be able to get the letter from a local branch  where he will be living. Most banks allow that.

Absolutely correct.

I've done that twice, then asked the new branch to transfer my accounts after obtaining my extension, so I wasn't paying out of Province fees for ATM transactions.

On 7/24/2017 at 8:37 AM, ubonjoe said:

You will not do your change of address to Chonburi immigration. It will only needs to be done at Bueng Kan immigration.

If you did your extension at Chonburi immigration you would still have to change your address at Bueng Kan immigration to do your 90 day reports there.

Your wife should do a TM30 report to Bueng Kan immigration to report your presence since she is the legal owner of your house. Nothing more than that needs to be done.

I showed my wife the Thai version of the mandate requiring home owners to report the presence of a foreign visitor via the TM30 form.

She is convinced that she does not have to complete this form for me while I am at her house in Thailand because my name appears in the blue Tambian Baan book.  She indicates, from what she understood, that the TM30 is completed by hotels and by homeowners that are housing visiting foreigners.  Since my name is in the Tambian Baan, she claims that, technically, I'm not a visitor.

We also have two daughters who we checked-in to Thailand using US Passports; they are dual citizens, and also appear in the Tambian Baan.

Any comments on whether her interpretation is correct?  As with anything in Thailand, everyone, from the top echelon of gov't down to the peon level, seems to have their own interpretation of laws.

P.S.  We live in Nakhon Rachasima.

16 minutes ago, Gumballl said:

Any comments on whether her interpretation is correct?

Not correct. The only way it would not be required would be if you had permanent residency. You are on a temporary stay unless you have PR.

Form the immigration act.

Section 38 : The house – master , the owner or the possessor of the residence , or the hotel manager
where the alien , receiving permission to stay temporary in the Kingdom has stayed , must notify the
competent official of the Immigration Office located in the same area with that hours , dwelling place or
hotel, within 24 hours from the time of arrival of the alien concerned.

Edit: Looked at what she read. Perhaps she should read the immigration act. Immigration Act B.E. 2522 Thai text

On 7/24/2017 at 9:05 PM, Tanoshi said:

First thing to do is formerly change your address at Bueng Kan  Immigration.

File a TM28 (change of address) and a TM30 (notification where alien is staying).

Under section 37 of the Immigration Act, aliens must notify a change of address to their local

Immigration office within 24 hours of taking up the new residence, using form TM28.

Documents for Change of Address.

1. Completed for TM28.

2. Passport + Copies of;

- Passport homepage.

- Last Visa.

- Last extension.

- Last entry stamp.

3. TM6 Departure Card + Copy

4. Map pinpointing and detailing place of residence.

5. Copy of House owners Tabien Baan.

6. Copy of House owners ID card.

Under section 38 of the Immigration Act, the owner, house-master, or possessor of the address

where alien is taking up residence must notify the local Immigration office within 24 hours of the

aliens arrival, using form TM30.

Documents as above, but using form TM30.

All copies should be signed by the document holder.

Thai Immigration Act BE 2522.

http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/en/doc/Immigration_Act.pdf

Download Forms.

http://www.immigration.go.th/

Once you've completed the change of address, you can then file for your extension based on retirement.

Thank to Tanoshi for this check list.  I used it today to change my permanent address from Bangkok to Chiang Rai and it took 10 minutes, no questions asked, no TM-30 wanted, just the copy of the owners Tabien Baan and ID card.  The owner was also with us.  No "failure to report" fine mentioned at all.  Got a receipt of notification of address to keep.  Also no map requested.  They did want the TM28, passport and passport copies listed.

Edited by mojaco

3 minutes ago, mojaco said:

Thank to Tanoshi for this check list.  I used it today to change my permanent address from Bangkok to Chiang Rai and it took 10 minutes, no questions asked, no TM-30 wanted, just the copy of the owners Tabien Baan and ID card.  The owner was also with us.  No "failure to report" fine mentioned at all.  Got a receipt of notification of address to keep.

I'm glad it helped   :jap:

• 1 month later...

I am in a similar situation, moving from Phuket to Phetchaburi. I seem to remember that I used to have to show a rental agreement as a proof of residence. Is this not needed as long as the TM28 and TM30 and supporting documents are produced?