If I should die

somo

On 7/27/2017 at 3:13 AM, NancyL said:

And it's attitudes like this that cause guys to do nothing and thus leave behind big messes for their loved ones.  Yes, there is plenty you can do now to make life easier for your loved ones.  Get a Final Will -- one here and one in your home country.  Make sure your Thai wife has the appropriate tax I.D. number from your home country now so she can claim funds from your home country bank accounts and not have to figure out how to get a tax I.D. number for herself after you're gone.  Get your military records in order.  She may be entitled to a widow's pension that you don't even know about.  Have stamped originals of all your previous marriage and divorce records. etc,etc.

Ok, consider this. How can make sure that your wishes are carried out. My friend, has a good deal of money that he has made sure that is wife will inherit if /when he dies. The problem is that he will never be sure where the money will end up. His wife has a fat, lazy daughter, with an equally idle,drug taking boy friend. The wife as weak when it comes to her daughter( most Thai mums are) he is terrified that the wife will give money to the daughter and her boyfriend who will proceed to squander it on stupid things and drugs. How, then, can he be sure that this will not happen.Once the inheritance is released into the family, anything can happen.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, Khon Kaen Dave said:

Ok, consider this. How can make sure that your wishes are carried out. My friend, has a good deal of money that he has made sure that is wife will inherit if /when he dies. The problem is that he will never be sure where the money will end up. His wife has a fat, lazy daughter, with an equally idle,drug taking boy friend. The wife as weak when it comes to her daughter( most Thai mums are) he is terrified that the wife will give money to the daughter and her boyfriend who will proceed to squander it on stupid things and drugs. How, then, can he be sure that this will not happen.Once the inheritance is released into the family, anything can happen.

Very true and not much that can be done about that other than family ed 101 - but he might be able to set up wife for frequent regular payments rather than bulk sum to help mitigate such actions.

4 hours ago, Khon Kaen Dave said:

Thats totaly irrelevent once he's done his bit and left his wife the money it's  hers then to do with as she pleases. You cant dictate about who gets what after your dead. If hes really that bothered leave it to a dogs charity. Would he have the same issue if married to a UK woman who had a  Daughter by a previous bloke who  was a fat lump and her boyfriend was a druggie ?

Edited by jeab1980

7 minutes ago, jeab1980 said:

Thats totaly irrelevent once he's done his bit and left his wife the money it's  hers then to do with as she pleases. You cant dictate about who gets what after your dead. If hes really that bothered leave it to a dogs charity.

So his love is gone when he is gone?  It is very relevant IMHO and all such planning should be a consideration.  That is the whole point of wills.  

I agree it is not his place to dictate his wife's actions but he can work within reason to insure she can continue to thrive.  That is the whole idea of estate planning (be it a small bank account or a Microsoft fortune).  

Edited by lopburi3

16 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

So his love is gone when he is gone?  It is very relevant IMHO and all such planning should be a consideration.  That is the whole point of wills.  

I agree it is not his place to dictate his wife's actions but he can work within reason to insure she can continue to thrive.  That is the whole idea of estate planning (be it a small bank account or a Microsoft fortune).  

You can plan all you want once your dead your dead. Once the money is in the wifes bank account its hers to do with as she sees fit.

As for dribbling the money to her whats that going to do apart from satisfing his own ego whilst alive. Again once she gets the money lump sum or dribbling it in she will do with it as she pleases. Once your dead your dead if you really dont want or dont trust your wife/husband with money spend it all before you go simple.

It really doesnt matter to me what my wife does with what is in effect our money shared in life. Once dead either my or her money to spend as we see fit to do with as we will. Lets face it the dead party really wont care now will they.

Edited by jeab1980

FYI, if u die and ur ONLY living with ur live in gf

last monday a acquaintance  died here in Phuket,  lived in his villa with his gf of 9 years ( he just turned 81 ,she  31)

Police were called,  they asked for all the money, bank books and cc 's in the house,  House and both cars are in her name.

Body was moved to hospital,  Took the girl and another friend ALL day to get the body released, They had to contact his daughter back in the UK to send a wire to the UK embassy allowing the gf to remove the body,  than a wire to the police to allow if to be taken out to the wat.

NOW the daughter needs deal with embassy to allow the gf to have access to bank accounts and cash.

SO word to ALL; if ur living with a gf make sure all relevant docs and Family contacts are available to the gf..

The hospital told her sometimes t can take weeks or MONTHS to get body released and ur paying for every day it remains ..

PLUS make sure u have a will and everyone knows about it.

It seems nowadays when a Farang dies the police really make sure everything is accounted for

Edited by phuketrichard

On 7/29/2017 at 1:58 AM, jeab1980 said:

Thats totaly irrelevent once he's done his bit and left his wife the money it's  hers then to do with as she pleases. You cant dictate about who gets what after your dead. If hes really that bothered leave it to a dogs charity. Would he have the same issue if married to a UK woman who had a  Daughter by a previous bloke who  was a fat lump and her boyfriend was a druggie ?

So all the money that the guy has worked for all his life to allow him a good retirement, ends up down the kharsie. Good bye 35 years of toil and sweat.

On 7/29/2017 at 1:30 AM, lopburi3 said:

Very true and not much that can be done about that other than family ed 101 - but he might be able to set up wife for frequent regular payments rather than bulk sum to help mitigate such actions.

Thank you.And that is exactly what i have done through my solicitor in the UK.

6 hours ago, Khon Kaen Dave said:

Thank you.And that is exactly what i have done through my solicitor in the UK.

What this means is that your solicitor will be able to charge a nice monthly fee for managing your estate and your wife will have to fend off requests from her worthless relatives every month for the rest of her life.

Better to select your wife wisely and educate her properly before you die.

Seriously -- this is possible.  I know a couple guys here who have patiently supported their wives through the process of growing beyond a M8 level of education to becoming licensed accountants with careers that will long outlast their husband's lifetime.  Along the way, the wives came to their own conclusions about their relatives in Issan.

6 hours ago, Khon Kaen Dave said:

So all the money that the guy has worked for all his life to allow him a good retirement, ends up down the kharsie. Good bye 35 years of toil and sweat.

The guy has married here his life is here his wife is here. Christ he cant take it with him. Would be exactly the same if he was married anywhere in the world. If its that important to him or you spend it all now dont leave a penny to the woman he or you married end of problem.

Now if you take offence to this i dont care. Can you really think the way you and he does. Talk about trying to control in life and in death.

Edited by jeab1980

Just now, NancyL said:

What this means is that your solicitor will be able to charge a nice monthly fee for managing your estate and your wife will have to fend off requests from her worthless relatives every month for the rest of her life.

Better to select your wife wisely and educate her properly before your die.

What a positive spin.  :smile:

Expect an annuity can be purchased to provide frequent payments with little or no future solicitor involvement.  Better the wife has funds coming in (rather than lose everything in an instant) even if she has to fend off requests - the worthless relatives at least have a reason to help her and she may actually have enough to take care of herself.

On 29/07/2017 at 8:20 AM, jeab1980 said:

You can plan all you want once your dead your dead. Once the money is in the wifes bank account its hers to do with as she sees fit.

As for dribbling the money to her whats that going to do apart from satisfing his own ego whilst alive. Again once she gets the money lump sum or dribbling it in she will do with it as she pleases. Once your dead your dead if you really dont want or dont trust your wife/husband with money spend it all before you go simple.

It really doesnt matter to me what my wife does with what is in effect our money shared in life. Once dead either my or her money to spend as we see fit to do with as we will. Lets face it the dead party really wont care now will they.

4 hours ago, jeab1980 said:

The guy has married here his life is here his wife is here. Christ he cant take it with him. Would be exactly the same if he was married anywhere in the world. If its that important to him or you spend it all now dont leave a penny to the woman he or you married end of problem.

Now if you take offence to this i dont care. Can you really think the way you and he does. Talk about trying to control in life and in death.

Rest assured, i do not take offence at your remarks, simply because i do not care, what you say. I have made my arrangements with my solicitor, who is my family lawyer. I am safe in the knowledge that my finances are safe and sound and i can rest easy, when the day comes, that the grim reaper, who i also think of a friend will tell me to get my hat and coat, and tell me its time to go. Your post is irrelevant to me. However, i do not have to agree with what you say, but i will, defend to the death, your right to say it.

Mee wan dee

Edited by Khon Kaen Dave
misspelling

5 hours ago, NancyL said:

Better to select your wife wisely and educate her properly before you die.

Seriously -- this is possible.  I know a couple guys here who have patiently supported their wives through the process of growing beyond a M8 level of education to becoming licensed accountants with careers that will long outlast their husband's lifetime.  Along the way, the wives came to their own conclusions about their relatives in Issan.

Silly Nancy, my solicitor is my is a family lawyer and and also a family member.He is  my Fathers brother's son, my nephew. In every family, there is always someone who inherits the brains. He did from my aunt.

Think again.

55 minutes ago, Khon Kaen Dave said:

Rest assured, i do not take offence at your remarks, simply because i do not care, what you say. I have made my arrangements with my solicitor, who is my family lawyer. I am safe in the knowledge that my finances are safe and sound and i can rest easy, when the day comes, that the grim reaper, who i also think of a friend will tell me to get my hat and coat, and tell me its time to go. Your post is irrelevant to me. However, i do not have to agree with what you say, but i will, defend to the death, your right to say it.

Mee wan dee

As you say we will never agree on the subject. We all have our diffrent views on life and it seems in death. I do love the till the very end its MY never ours. But hey long life and im sure you'll be around for a good while yet. You never know you might just! No i wont go there.

53 minutes ago, Khon Kaen Dave said:

Silly Nancy, my solicitor is my is a family lawyer and and also a family member.He is  my Fathers brother's son, my nephew. In every family, there is always someone who inherits the brains. He did from my aunt.

Think again.

Sorry to burst ones bubble do you think beacuse it's family there not going to rip you off?. Oh sorry yes you do or your mate does lol. Seems its only your Thai wifes and there families you dont trust.

Edited by jeab1980

On ‎7‎/‎26‎/‎2017 at 8:35 AM, seancbk said:

No trusted friends in Thailand?

Who  can you really trust or rely on,  trust has  limits .

• 3 weeks later...
On 26/07/2017 at 11:43 AM, Jip99 said:

That is obviously illegal - but a practical solution nonetheless.

If no one is likely to challenge it then there will be no repercussions. Same can apply to Thai accounts - and no need to transfer to a joint account, the wife's sole account is better. 

It it would be foolish to just rely on the ATM + PIN number/online banking, just in case of error/mishap..... 3 wrong pins or log in errors could defeat this strategy.

It is not illegal. Our UK assetts are in our joint names. The broker who holds our assetts has agreed to this arrangement and confirmed its legality

3 hours ago, gamini said:

It is not illegal. Our UK assetts are in our joint names. The broker who holds our assetts has agreed to this arrangement and confirmed its legality

Your post referred specifically to "my" considerable assets in the U.K.

Using internet codes/pins to take out money after the account holder has died is ILLEGAL. As I said, all mandates cease upon death.

In the case of joint accounts the assets will pass by survivorship but I have seen people balls that up! Advising the bank of the death of joint account holder MAY cause them to 'stop' the account.....

Edited by Jip99

On ‎7‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 6:27 PM, somo said:

That's the thing. I don't know what she should do when I die! She has no idea and doesn't really want to talk about it feeling to do so would be tempting fate. I can do a will no problem but how is that then executed in the UK. She has no idea how to get and submit death certificates etc

Please enlighten me on the straightforward process and I will see if I can set it up. I have a brother and sister in UK but they are at a loss too.

You could leave enough in a Thai bank account to cover her expenses, if necessary, and make a Thai will to allow her to access that.

In the UK you just make a will and your executor will send the money from your bank accounts there to her, after the six months waiting period.

59 minutes ago, Jip99 said:

Your post referred specifically to "my" considerable assets in the U.K.

Using internet codes/pins to take out money after the account holder has died is ILLEGAL. As I said, all mandates cease upon death.

In the case of joint accounts the assets will pass by survivorship but I have seen people balls that up! Advising the bank of the death of joint account holder MAY cause them to 'stop' the account.....

I believe that even joint accounts are frozen after the death of the other person. Which is why everyone should have money in a solo account, in case of unexpected death of the other. It takes 6 months before money will be released according to the will.

10 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I believe that even joint accounts are frozen after the death of the other person. Which is why everyone should have money in a solo account, in case of unexpected death of the other. It takes 6 months before money will be released according to the will.

Sound advice. It is not automatic for an account to be stopped upon the death of a joint account holder. It used to be standard practice in the UK and a sole account was invariably opened simultaneously. I believe it is now possible in some cases for a surviving partner to continue using the account in the short-term (nobody want an account Mr & Mrs Smith when the Mr has died...) I would not want to rely on that and I just imagine how a Thai widow would get on dealing with a U.K. bank in those circumstances........ get a sole account sorted out, there and here.

The above excludes the TIT factor and anything is possible in Thailand..... even more reason for having a sole account plus access via internet or PIN.......bugger the legality...

The 6 month period will depend on whether Probate is required. In the case of gemini's considerable assets Probate will undoubtedly be required.

Edited by Jip99

40 minutes ago, Jip99 said:

Sound advice. It is not automatic for an account to be stopped upon the death of a joint account holder. It used to be standard practice in the UK and a sole account was invariably opened simultaneously. I believe it is now possible in some cases for a surviving partner to continue using the account in the short-term (nobody want an account Mr & Mrs Smith when the Mr has died...) I would not want to rely on that and I just imagine how a Thai widow would get on dealing with a U.K. bank in those circumstances........ get a sole account sorted out, there and here.

The above excludes the TIT factor and anything is possible in Thailand..... even more reason for having a sole account plus access via internet or PIN.......bugger the legality...

The 6 month period will depend on whether Probate is required. In the case of gemini's considerable assets Probate will undoubtedly be required.

This is or was the case 2 years ago when my brothers wife (Thai) died in the UK. Joint account was not frozen and he could continue to use it as normal. I informed them on his behalf the day after she passed. They wanted when he was ready but within 7 days to see the death certificate and will. Untill then he could continue to use his ATM card up to his daily limit. On submitting the death certificate and will they took his wifes name from the joint account and within another 7 days deposited the money from her single account there into his account. All very simple really. On registering her death at the registrars office for a fee of £20 they took care of informing HMRC they cancelled her UK passport and driving licence. They informed the Thai Embassy in London They even had the death certificate Translated to Thai and stamped as an  official document for him which he thought would make  things so much simpler when he came back here to sort out the house and bank accounts.  Which i have to say from what he told me was a bloody nightmare in the end he paid someone to take care of it for him. (Brown envelope job) That took 6 months but all sotred now. House in sons name he has an unsfruct on it anyway. 

Edited by jeab1980

45 minutes ago, jeab1980 said:

This is or was the case 2 years ago when my brothers wife (Thai) died in the UK. Joint account was not frozen and he could continue to use it as normal. I informed them on his behalf the day after she passed. They wanted when he was ready but within 7 days to see the death certificate and will. Untill then he could continue to use his ATM card up to his daily limit. On submitting the death certificate and will they took his wifes name from the joint account and within another 7 days deposited the money from her single account there into his account. All very simple really. On registering her death at the registrars office for a fee of £20 they took care of informing HMRC they cancelled her UK passport and driving licence. They informed the Thai Embassy in London They even had the death certificate Translated to Thai and stamped as an  official document for him which he thought would make  things so much simpler when he came back here to sort out the house and bank accounts.  Which i have to say from what he told me was a bloody nightmare in the end he paid someone to take care of it for him. (Brown envelope job) That took 6 months but all sotred now. House in sons name he has an unsfruct on it anyway. 

Good story Jeab, that is how it should be because your brother was entitled to the joint funds by survivorship.... the Will had no relevance in that respect. Dying intestate would simply have meant that a wife becomes beneficiary of the estate.

Are you prepared to say which bank - it might influence others in making their plans because some banks may not act in the same way.

1 minute ago, Jip99 said:

Good story Jeab, that is how it should be because your brother was entitled to the joint funds by survivorship.... the Will had no relevance in that respect. Dying intestate would simply have meant that a wife becomes beneficiary of the estate.

Are you prepared to say which bank - it might influence others in making their plans because some banks may not act in the same way.

No problem it was HSBC. 

On 31/07/2017 at 7:37 PM, elliss said:

Who  can you really trust or rely on,  trust has  limits .

It depends on who your family and friends are.

I trust the ones that I have known for 15 years or more.

Thanks for all the replies.
Have a better idea of what to do. The one thing I don't know is who issues a death certificate here and is it recognised in the UK? I can leave a will + instructions with a relative in the UK.

You need to make a Thai will for your Thai assets, costs 5 to 6 thousand baht , for 2 copy's Thai and English . You need one for Thailand and a seperate will for the U.K. Otherwise major problems . You Thai assets will get donated to someone you don't like.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app