If I should die

somo

11 minutes ago, Blinky62 said:

You need to make a Thai will for your Thai assets, costs 5 to 6 thousand baht , for 2 copy's Thai and English . You need one for Thailand and a seperate will for the U.K. Otherwise major problems . You Thai assets will get donated to someone you don't like.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

When I am dead I won't care if they are donated to somebody I don't like. Not only that, but when I am dead I will never know, will I?

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sound advice. It is not automatic for an account to be stopped upon the death of a joint account holder. It used to be standard practice in the UK and a sole account was invariably opened simultaneously. I believe it is now possible in some cases for a surviving partner to continue using the account in the short-term (nobody want an account Mr & Mrs Smith when the Mr has died...) I would not want to rely on that and I just imagine how a Thai widow would get on dealing with a U.K. bank in those circumstances........ get a sole account sorted out, there and here.

The above excludes the TIT factor and anything is possible in Thailand..... even more reason for having a sole account plus access via internet or PIN.......bugger the legality...

The 6 month period will depend on whether Probate is required. In the case of gemini's considerable assets Probate will undoubtedly be required.

I had accounts frozen in Australia for 15 months . We had a will , did everything properly. Bloody nightmare, they released $7000 for the funeral. The day my girlfriend of 17 years died ( we had 5 property's together) I went to 3 different banks to pay off and cancel her credit cards . All 3 banks said I couldn't close the accounts , only she could close them or the executive of the will ( in a year's time ) . Trying to explain to them she had just died was eralavent to them . In the end I paid them the cash and cut up the cards in front of them and took photos. Nothing is easy when someone dies . Even in the so called western world [emoji289].

2 minutes ago, Blinky62 said:

I had accounts frozen in Australia for 15 months . We had a will , did everything properly. Bloody nightmare, they released $7000 for the funeral. The day my girlfriend of 17 years died ( we had 5 property's together) I went to 3 different banks to pay off and cancel her credit cards . All 3 banks said I couldn't close the accounts , only she could close them or the executive of the will ( in a year's time ) . Trying to explain to them she had just died was eralavent to them . In the end I paid them the cash and cut up the cards in front of them and took photos. Nothing is easy when someone dies . Even in the so called western world emoji289.png.

Maybe thats as you werent married? Or its just an Australian thing. Hope you have it all sorted now just what you dont need when your devastated anyway.

Whatever you do, don't tell your wife you will watch over them from heaven. It creeps Thais out to think that a ghost has now pledged to follow them around. I once attended the funeral of a Thai colleague's father and in an effort to comfort her told her that her dad was now watching her from heaven every day....she freaked out and said she could not sleep for a week and changed apartments to 'lose' the ghost....ha ha