Cost of Owning/Maintaining/Insuring Car/Van?

I've been in BKK 11 years; for the last 2 years, in an apartment on the outskirts that comes with a covered parking space included with my monthly rent. Obviously, I've gotten by without a car this long, so don't *have to have* one. But just curious...I know it's a hard question to answer, but basically : How much do you think it would cost to own/operate/maintain/insure a car in Thailand? I'm thinking about 2 possible vehicles: 1) very basic but reliable (most likely used) sedan, and 2) something like a mini van where you could sleep in the back if necessary. If I had a vehicle, I envision only using it to drive, say, to beach areas south of Hua Hin, maybe into Kao Yai and other trips around Thailand, just to take a break from BKK a few times a year. I would rarely use it back home in BKK, but just drive it occasionally to keep it from 'freezing up.' So, what kind of initial costs might there be? Then, what might costs be if I went on a road trip of say, two weeks each, 4 times a year?

Put another way, what sort of 'cost of ownership' have you experienced yourself? I have rented cars for 2 to 6 days a few times, but always the cheapest, smallest models. Do you think renting, say a mini van, for a total of 2 months per year would be a better solution? (BTW, I'm single, have a retirement visa and Thai drivers license good credit and no debt.)

Thx.

I'm sure, well fairly sure,  that you could pick up something suitable for your purpose for IRO 250,000thb.

Allow 10-17Kthb for tax and insurance.

As it will be old allow 15-30Kthb/yr at least for service/repairs/maintenance.

Do you intend a mattress in the back for you and whoever to spend the time there .. if so I have one for sale ...

Your last suggestion is probably your best option ...

Why don't you rent out your 'parking space'...

Edited by JAS21

4 hours ago, JAS21 said:

I'm sure, well fairly sure,  that you could pick up something suitable for your purpose for IRO 250,000thb.

Allow 10-17Kthb for tax and insurance.

As it will be old allow 15-30Kthb/yr at least for service/repairs/maintenance.

Do you intend a mattress in the back for you and whoever to spend the time there .. if so I have one for sale ...

Your last suggestion is probably your best option ...

Why don't you rent out your 'parking space'...

Finally, someone who answers my question, thanks. But as someone said recently, "TIT: This is Thaivisa."

What I envision doing is exploring areas whee there are no hotels...deserted beach areas, etc. That's why it would be nice to be able to sleep in the back. Just myself. I'm not thinking a proper mattress--only something like a roll up pad like hikers use. 

Good, now I can compare the costs/advantages/disadvantages of having my own vehicle to renting. Even if the cost of renting turned out to be cheaper, there would be advantages to having my own vehicle right in my building. (It's quite a hassle to reserve, then go fetch and return a rental.) I'd have the freedom to return whenever I wanted; I'd know exactly how it operated and what it's capable of, etc. I could use it to carry items, help friends in BKK. Etc. These things are worth quite a bit.

Another way I may go, however, is to just put my folding bike on the train/bus/plane to visit remote locations. I can carry a certain amount of stuff with me that way, but of course with a vehicle I'd be able to carry much more.