Thai police set to get tooled up just like American cops as 12,000 guns arrive

webfact

Thai police set to get tooled up just like American cops as 12,000 guns arrive

4pm.jpg

Picture: Daily News

BANGKOK: -- Thailand's cops are set to pack the same punch as their US counterparts as some lethal weapons are set to flood the country.

The Thais are getting the top of the range Sig Sauer p320.

Former head of the national police Somyot "Big Ort" Phumphanmuang said he was in the States recently at the Sig Sauer factory to inspect the first consignment and everything was on schedule.

41pm.jpg

Picture: Daily News

The first 5,000 guns will arrive in Thailand on August 2 with another 7,468 in Thai hands by August 22nd.

Daily News reported that the gun was the weapon of choice for US law enforcement.

Source: Daily News

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-07-26

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

12 minutes ago, Prbkk said:

So what happens with the old guns? Retained, sold, eBay? It is a worry.

My understanding is that RTP have to buy their own guns so presumably the old guns are owned by the policemen themselves and they can sell them to whomever they like. The highest bidder from the dark side perhaps.

If these new Sig Sauer pistols are to be purchased by the police out of their own pockets, similar to badges and medals and the like, then one could expect it shouldn't take too long to find their way into the wrong hands. The greed of the RTP holds no bounds so if they can turn a baht and make some money then anything goes..

This is the retail price in the U.S....    I know they are getting a better deal from Sig. But, still how many Thai cops can afford this?

SIG Sauer® P320 Pistols

Regular Price: 

$649.99 - $849.99

Item: IK-292159

Yes, I agree there are 210,000 RTP Professionals, but 123,423 RTP Professionals are on Inactive Duty! So, the RTP only needs

about 80,000 new guns. The old guns will be sold to Mynammar and Cambodia under the table.

18 minutes ago, habanero said:

This is the retail price in the U.S....    I know they are getting a better deal from Sig. But, still how many Thai cops can afford this?

SIG Sauer® P320 Pistols

Regular Price: 

$649.99 - $849.99

$650 USD = 21,680 THB = 108 traffic tickets at 200 baht each, or, shake down a couple farangs or their wives.

At one time the Thai police had to buy their own guns (and motorbikes and uniforms) - so has this all changed now? Free guns if you don the skin-tight brown catsuit?

I think they will be available, on favourable terms, to the right candidates...

36 minutes ago, robsamui said:

At one time the Thai police had to buy their own guns (and motorbikes and uniforms) - so has this all changed now? Free guns if you don the skin-tight brown catsuit?

HAHAHAHA!

Well said!

5 hours ago, habanero said:

SIG Sauer® P320 Pistols

Regular Price: 

$649.99 - $849.99

I'd have thought nearly all of them.  It's not like they only have their salary to get by on.

7 hours ago, habanero said:

SIG Sauer® P320 Pistols

Regular Price: 

$649.99 - $849.99

"But, still how many Thai cops can afford this?"

All of them!

7 hours ago, habanero said:

SIG Sauer® P320 Pistols

Regular Price: 

$649.99 - $849.99

The actual price they were charged was B30,000 at the time that worked out to be 1000 aus dollars

4 hours ago, robsamui said:

no it hasn't changed they had to pay for the guns and officers still have to purchase their own uniforms