Bail set at B1mn each for suspects in amulet fraud

webfact

Bail set at B1mn each for suspects in amulet fraud

Phuket Gazette 

1_2017726134655160_ycHSxerejtrLHDjLMqFDyiToaNLUCVjAxqTvULZD_jpeg.jpgThe suspects in a magic amulet fraud case have denied any involvement in the matter and have been released on bail of 1 million baht. Photo:Winai Sarot

PHUKET: -- Two of the accused in a ‘magic’ amulet fraud case presented themselves for questioning at Phuket Provincial Police Station, but denied all charges and are currently out on bail of 1 million baht each.

Last week, more than 20 people filed a complaint at Chalong Police Station against Sumalee Lertwilai, claiming that she and her accomplices had cheated them into investing more than 100 million baht in religious amulets via a Facebook page called ‘Pumpuy Apple Shop’ (story here).

The group claimed that Ms Sumalee led them to believe the amulets were made of special wood imported from Myanmar worth hundreds of thousands of baht and were ‘infused with magic’ by famous magicians. They said she also claimed that those who used them would become "rich".

Full story: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-news/Bail-set-B1mn-for-suspects-amulet-fraud/66808?desktopversion#ad-image-0

pgazette_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket Gazette 2017-07-26

Note:  Mr Kan-anek Pachimsawat, 66, is free on bail of 350,000 baht pending the outcome of his appeal.

On May 27 last year the Criminal Court sentenced him to two years and nine months in jail without suspension, and a fine of 200,000 baht. 
He was originally indicted on April 23, 2015 with possessing 0.676 grammes of crystal methamphetamine, or "ice".

- It would appear that selling fake amulets is considered to be a "riskier" crime than being caught with illegal drugs.

4 hours ago, gandalf12 said:

It is nothing really to do with Buddhism it just comes down to people's greed 

that is one of the few things i do not like about retirement; that being that what you said becomes painfully apparent

On 29/07/2017 at 8:47 PM, YetAnother said:

that is one of the few things i do not like about retirement; that being that what you said becomes painfully apparent

I don't know about you but retirement in my opinion is a death sentence