Ford’s Ranger pickup hits record sales

I like the look of the new Ranger. The 3.2 diesel is peppy the ride smooth.

But I do not like Diesels

And the World trend is against them.

2040 most Countries will ban Diesels

Petrol engines not long after

So unless you intend distilling your own fuels

Which vehicle is nicest is all academic

Luckily will be end of days for me when they go.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

13 minutes ago, Kiwiken said:

We are in the fossil fuel era which will come to an end. Wasn't that long ago we were sitting round a coal fire, trains were being pulled by coal, ships with the same stuff ...Am sure the back room boys are working on their companies future without petrol or diesel..

49 minutes ago, transam said:

We are in the fossil fuel era which will come to an end. Wasn't that long ago we were sitting round a coal fire, trains were being pulled by coal, ships with the same stuff ...Am sure the back room boys are working on their companies future without petrol or diesel..

..and Toyotas.

1 hour ago, Kiwiken said:

You aren't intending to keep a pickup 20 years are you? I wouldn't worry about that at this stage. Buy what you like. Thailand has been slow to get on the electric/hybrid bandwagon and I've seen no plan for an electric pickup here. We can see trends now - camry and accord, benz, bmw hybrids are now available, so they are worth a look. Diesel won't be banned here if they haven't developed alternatives for their beloved pickups.

Well, I had two Ford Ranger 4x4 and will not buy a third one. 

The sad thing about it is, that it is a fantastic car but the dealership in Cholburi, Pattaya and Rayong simply s"*ç%k. Customer service is not a department but an attitude. Selling a brand-new car is one thing, with flowers and photos, servicing is another. I was met with absolutely ignorant, arrogant and customer unfriendly staff in Pattaya (Sukhumvit Road) so I went to Cholburi = same. I then brought the car to Ford Ek in Rayong = same again. Decent service was extended in Phichit, Udon Thani and Vientiane - but I live in Pattaya and only used those upcountry stations when traveling. 

We have three Isuzu DMAX vehicles, all 4x4, and are more than happy with their after-sales performance; all business is people! Now try to imagine where Ford would be, if their after-sales services (to be performed by their third party dealership network) would be 10 out of 10? Food for thought ....... 

13 hours ago, Sydebolle said:

I was met with absolutely ignorant, arrogant and customer unfriendly staff in Pattaya (Sukhumvit Road) so I went to Cholburi = same. I then brought the car to Ford Ek in Rayong = same again.

Maybe you bring out the best in people? OK, joking aside, about 3 or 4 years ago Pattaya was undeniably the pits and it was a toss-up if the Chonburi and Rayong crews were any better. This is based on the experience of a good friend of mine when shopping for a Ranger 2.2 at all three shops back then. He ended up buying in Chonburi and servicing in Pattaya. He wasn't Thai-friendly at all having only lived and worked here for the best part of 20 years and still didn't have two Thai words to rub together. Despite being a cash buyer of anything he wanted, he was notorious for exercising absolutely no bargaining skills beyond insisting on a huge discount on everything including from his monthly somtam lady (his sop to Thai dining) based on his consideration of being her 'regular' and for the most part, having a face like a torn scone... even when he thought he was smiling. Things got better at Ford Pattaya and he was reasonably happy with their service the last time we spoke. Another friend of mine just acquired an Everest 2.2 at Ford Pattaya and with almost 30 years in the realm, being fairly fluent in the spoken lingo and of a generally sweeter demeanor, he told me that his shopping and purchasing experience was excellent when we had breakfast last week. Over the years he's been a Holden, Toyota, Honda, Suzuki and Isuzu owner driver.

13 hours ago, Sydebolle said:

Decent service was extended in Phichit, Udon Thani and Vientiane - but I live in Pattaya and only used those upcountry stations when traveling. 

I concur that the Udon shop has been consistently good having bought both my 'sport lorries' there.

Looks like your primary consideration was piss poor customer service after purchasing. At the risk of drawing the the inevitable "I told you so" flak from the Toyota aficionados in the peanut gallery, how did your two Ranger's hold up with regard to "gushing" oil leaks, bad transmissions and flaky batteries which I reckon are the only 3 regular complaints from actual owner drivers. Did any warranty issues arise?

14 hours ago, Sydebolle said:

Now try to imagine where Ford would be, if their after-sales services (to be performed by their third party dealership network) would be 10 out of 10? Food for thought ....... 

So does Toyota, hence the larger rear-view mirrors on newer models of 'wewo' and 'tuna.

On 7/28/2017 at 8:03 AM, inThailand said:

The Ford Ranger is the best looking in and out truck on the market, thats why sales are booming, and the new Revo is a disaster, few can be seen on the road.

Not in Phuket, plenty of new revo's on the road here, new rangers are now as scarce as hens teeth on Phuket roads

16 minutes ago, madmax2 said:

Not in Phuket, plenty of new revo's on the road here, new rangers are now as scarce as hens teeth on Phuket roads

Not surprised with that colluding, crap dealership thing they apparently have going on down there.

But compared with (say) 4 years ago, there's definitely a lot more Rangers on the roads these days. From my observations between fun city and Udon are that most of them are the PX2 makeovers that rolled out in summer 2015 and onwards.

4 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Not surprised with that colluding, crap dealership thing they apparently have going on down there.

But compared with (say) 4 years ago, there's definitely a lot more Rangers on the roads these days. From my observations between fun city and Udon are that most of them are the PX2 makeovers that rolled out in summer 2015 and onwards.

Anuphus Ford, Anuphus Mazda and anuphus Honda, its only ford that has a really bad reputation in Phuket even though they are all owned by the same company

I saw a new Ford dealership in the north of the island last week, if owned by a independent company it may improve ford repairs and service, not holding my breath though and do not care now we have sold our Ford

Just like in my home country I don't take my trucks to the dealer for servicing. With diesel engines there is not much to service and the local mechanic can easily accomplish it while I observe. I do buy the genuine parts from the dealer.

On 7/30/2017 at 8:51 AM, NanLaew said:

Looks like your primary consideration was piss poor customer service after purchasing. At the risk of drawing the the inevitable "I told you so" flak from the Toyota aficionados in the peanut gallery, how did your two Ranger's hold up with regard to "gushing" oil leaks, bad transmissions and flaky batteries which I reckon are the only 3 regular complaints from actual owner drivers. Did any warranty issues arise?

Quality-wise my first car = 10 out of 10, the second Ford Ranger a 9 out of 10. Latter had a hilarious problem. The rubber coating around the steering wheel started to get loose - a very uncomfortable driving experience. My still-valid extended warranty at that time did not cover that (no reason given) and I was asked to deposit ten grand upon which Ford Pattaya would have ordered the part. No delivery time could be given so I went to shop around and got a second-hand steering wheel for THB 1'000 two hours later. The installation was quoted with THB 500 by Ford Rayong, Pattaya flatly refused to do it.

I brought the car over there and highlighted the fact, that the entire electricity has to be drained from the car to prevent the air bag going off. Told them (in fluent Thai) to disconnect the battery, switch on lights and wait for 20 minutes.

Well, Somchai knew it better and some 20 seconds after I told them, it was interesting to see, how an air bag expands in 1/1000th of a second; hell of a bang and a smell like on the shooting range. After long arguing and referring to other staff standing around they had to agree that it was their mistake and replaced the ABS components free of charge. As I was not willing to wait they took the air bag components out of a showroom model. 

Apart from that, no problem with transmission, oil leaks or other headaches; as I said, a good car. The steering wheel - well, we shall never find out what happened there but for THB 1'500 I'm not making a big stink. 

Glad to hear that things seem to have improved in Pattaya but it will be a while until I am changing cars again. 

When I was a young man, I was a GM fan. I'll repeat what my Dad used to say (RIP). "My Ford may rattle first but it will rattle longer". I enjoyed teasing him about his Ford rattletrap.  

All this talk about Ford versus Toyota? Are you aware the Isuzu is the best selling pickup in Thailand? Why do you suppose that is?

5 minutes ago, Gary A said:

When I was a young man, I was a GM fan. I'll repeat what my Dad used to say (RIP). "My Ford may rattle first but it will rattle longer". I enjoyed teasing him about his Ford rattletrap.  

All this talk about Ford versus Toyota? Are you aware the Isuzu is the best selling pickup in Thailand? Why do you suppose that is?

Yep...

1. Isuzu

2..Toyota

3..Ford

Before I decided on the Isuzu, I was dealing on a Toyota and a Ford. Both dealers treated me like a tire kicker. They both acted like they had the only pickups available and buying anything else was stupid. Neither was willing to discount or throw in any accessories. The Isuzu dealer treated me with respect and offered a good discount. I should add that I have absolutely no brand loyalty. I think all the Thai built pickups are reliable. Isuzu gave me the best value for my baht. 

13 minutes ago, Gary A said:

Before I decided on the Isuzu, I was dealing on a Toyota and a Ford. Both dealers treated me like a tire kicker. They both acted like they had the only pickups available and buying anything else was stupid. Neither was willing to discount or throw in any accessories. The Isuzu dealer treated me with respect and offered a good discount. I should add that I have absolutely no brand loyalty. I think all the Thai built pickups are reliable. Isuzu gave me the best value for my baht. 

You bring up a good point on the 'tire kicker' attitude.

Chatting with some guys last night, all with varying years of 'Thainess' under their belts and a couple agreed that when one walks in as a no-down, cash paying, drive-away type customer, trying to get any freebies out of the dealer is like getting blood from a stone. On the other hand, when looking for a truck on finance, all the carrots are dangled such as free tint, fuzzy dice, premium carpets, bin liner, tank of gas, bling, etc., etc.. We opined that maybe to get the best value the next time around is to go for a financed package and wring as much as you can out of them, get it in writing and make a deposit. When the truck is ready for delivery, walk in with the cash-down wedge (tell them you won the lottery), get it kitted out and drive way while watching 'em weep in the rear-view mirror. Since most provincial dealerships (in my experience) don't start to draft any finance paperwork until AFTER the vehicle is delivered to their showroom, it seems do-able.

Note this wasn't limited to Ford buyers, This is a generic Thai pickup buying experience.

On ‎7‎/‎29‎/‎2017 at 0:04 PM, transam said:

They have done that for years buying a Toyota...:smile:

Our lads bird has a 2.2 Ranger, he drove it to our place, first thing he said was..."It's a 2.2 :sad:"..

I reckon Ford will stock up on 3.2 badges to save a lot of faces....ashamed-smiley-emoticon.png.934890f6b5cc7f76ae94cc9a847a2efa.png

Little story. I have recently done a trip from Phetchabun to K.P.Phet via Lom Sak.

On the strait level road some 40+km. From Phetchabun to Lom Sak had a 2.2 ranger keeping up with me whilst traveling at some 100/20kph.

Then we turned off through the mountains. First bit he was still with me. In front at a couple of traffic lights. I then put my lump in Sport mode (Recommended by Toyota) That's when the ranger started to become a dot in the rearview mirror.

Stopped at the top to have some food some 20+km. Was the first in line for that, I had my spoon a fork in my hand, food on the table before the Ranger came passed.

Conclusion 2.2 fine on level roads crap on mountains or loaded.

Saying that I do like the look of same.

Edited by fredob43

1 hour ago, fredob43 said:

Stopped at the top to have some food some 20+km. Was the first in line for that, I had my spoon a fork in my hand, food on the table before the Ranger came passed.

Conclusion 2.2 fine on level roads crap on mountains or loaded.

Saying that I do like the look of same.

...or he stopped for a piss.

...or he was looking for food.

...or he was unfamiliar with the road.

...or he was sick of the sight of the ugly butt-end of your Spivo.

Anyhow, the Ranger p/u does look nice and I reckon the 2018 rehash will be stunning if they don't go too overboard and make the face too square and F-150'ish.

...or bulbous. MINIMIGLIA don't like bulbous.

Recent reading indicates that there will be two streams of 2018 Ranger development with one exclusive to the newly re-entered North America market and the second one for existing markets like Australia, UK and of course us who can't keep up with Sport Mode Spivo's in LOS.

3 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

...or he stopped for a piss.

...or he was looking for food.

...or he was unfamiliar with the road.

...or he was sick of the sight of the ugly butt-end of your Spivo.

Anyhow, the Ranger p/u does look nice and I reckon the 2018 rehash will be stunning if they don't go too overboard and make the face too square and F-150'ish.

...or bulbous. MINIMIGLIA don't like bulbous.

Recent reading indicates that there will be two streams of 2018 Ranger development with one exclusive to the newly re-entered North America market and the second one for existing markets like Australia, UK and of course us who can't keep up with Sport Mode Spivo's in LOS.

I just want to get home in one piece...I don't give a sh_t what other folk are driving...:stoner:

15 minutes ago, inThailand said:

The three big manufacturers have overhauled their pickups in the last few years. Won't they just be making minor changes for 2018?

The Ranger's mid- 2015 makeover wasn't major whereas the Revo was a new model. Not sure about Isuzu or Nissan as I never paid attention to them.

As I mentioned earlier, the Ranger remodel in 2018 will be much more extensive and more than just cosmetic. Right now, most every 2015 (PX2) makeover model upgrade bits including internals, dashboard as well as bonnet, wings and grill will bolt onto the older 2010 (PX) release. This won't be the case with 2018 models. Also note that the US- stream Ranger will be afforded disc brakes all round and an esoteric range of (mostly petrol) dongers whereas the existing markets will stick with rear drums and diesel engine refinements.

Edited by NanLaew

They have consistently improved the Ranger since 2012 when the all new model was introduced. Look forward to seeing the 2018!

Imo, Revo needs mostly a remake of the interior. The Vigo boasted for years cheap beige colored trim with vinyl seats. The Revo  color scheme and materials was almost as bad as the Vigo. 

1 minute ago, inThailand said:

They have consistently improved the Ranger since 2012 when the all new model was introduced. Look forward to seeing the 2018!

Imo, Revo needs mostly a remake of the interior. The Vigo boasted for years cheap beige colored trim with vinyl seats. The Revo  color scheme and materials was almost as bad as the Vigo. 

We are all different, I like the beige interior..Reminds me of my Merc back home..I fail to see why you say a colour is cheap...Why is beige deemed cheap in your opinion..?

Compared to the sleek black interior of other vehicles, you really thought the Vigo 80's beige color which they kept for years was good looking? 

The Ranger's interior is probably one of its best selling points.

Granted, the Fortuner now has a nice interior, which may be the reason we see more of these on the road than Revos. 

3 minutes ago, inThailand said:

Compared to the sleek black interior of other vehicles, you really thought the Vigo 80's beige color which they kept for years was good looking? 

Well yes...For me it makes the interior seem bigger, more relaxed, but as I said we are all different with our thoughts...My fun ride was black interior which was great for the purpose it was built for...:smile: