Denied entry at Laos border from Cambodia

Hi,

Is it possible to be denied entry forever in Laos without doing anything? Is it safe for me to try again by land or air? 

For security i won't say my real name.

I have the stamp to entry Laos approved and now cancelled, from the border Cambodia-Laos by land.

My situation explained below:

Yesterday i came from Phom Penh to the Cambodian border on the Sorya bus 99, with Pakse as destination. I passed the Cambodian border without the help of anyone from the bus and in the Laos side, I refused to pay the scam of $2. They took a picture of my passport, keep it on a drawer and don't give it to me back witch I recorded on my phone. I asked the Sorya bus to leave even if they didn't give it back but all the staff from the bus where not helping but actually being on the side of the Laos officers. In any time the man from my bus helped me,but yield at me as ask me to leave the bus saying i was asking making them late.I was the only one you didn't paid him money to sort the stamps. The border officers tried different strategies treathened with different things to force me to get off, but I refused as i felt unsafe. They promised to let me go if i delete the video so I did.Nothing changed. In some point one of his officers stole the phone from my hands, checked for a while with the rest and whatever they did. The ended saying the cambodian police will come and arrest me and 3 of the laos offices forced me to get off the bus, using force from my wrists so they bus left.The woman sitting with the bus staff also helped to kick me out of the bus. I was left in the middle of the night and nowhere and told to go to the police in the Cambodian side to cancel also my exit stamp of Cambodia. 

What can i do now? What is my legal situation in Laos? My consulate doesn't provide any useful information about it on the phone.

Thanks

• Like 1

3 hours ago, humqdpf said:

You don't explain everything about your border crossing experience but here is a possible explaination.

What you call a "scam" is most likely not a scam. For starters, $1 was charged because your time of crossing was outside normal working hours as yours was (or on weekends or bank holidays). This applies at ALL Lao border crossings. 

You also do not mention whether you had a photo that is required for your visa. This is an extra $1 and is invariably charged at all border crossings for the photocopy of your photo in your passport.

You can do the math.

Of course everyone on the bus was against you. You are the crazy foreigner who refuses to pay what he owes and thinks that it is ok to hold up the whole bus. In future, have a thought for the other people on the bus, Narcissus!

But whether it was a "scam" or not, I think that you are a complete fool. There are times when persons in uniform have a lot of power. Immigration officials of any country have complete discretion to decide not to allow you into their country. They can say that you were rude - being rude to an officer of the law is a punishable offence in all countries. They could say that you swore or that your behaviour was unsuitable for entry into their country.

In future, when someone in a government uniform (customs, immigration, police) demands money and especially when it is clear that all the other officers are in agreement and when the amount is so tiny and when they give you a receipt (which the Lao immigration do for your $2), then pay up!

You can complain to the relevant authorities or embassies later.

It is a scam.They ask for the same 2 bucks when leaving Laos at that border crossing.For the so called 1 $ overtime fee they give you a ticket.Last year I was leaving Laos and refused to pay , I questioned him in Thai (while recording) about this fee, what his name was, whether I would get a receipt etc

Worked like a charm (on the Cambodian side as well), they stamped me out without paying for deleting.They are scared as hell of any recorded evidence of their corruption.Accidentally I failed to delete.Still have the clip. 

Whether it is worth it (saving 2$ on Lao side and 5 on Cambodian side)is an other question.For me it was, took only a few minutes for them to give in.  Why castigate the guy for refusing to give in to systemic extortion ?Would like to know what happened to him.

• Like 1

The southernmost province of Laos, Champasak, imposes a $1 tax on foreigners entering Laos through its 3 border crossings.

There is typically a charge of 20 Baht, 50 Baht, who knows, at any time they deem "overtime time" which definitely includes weekends, public holidays and any time after around 4pm.

The overtime charge is usually receipted. The $1 Champasak tax is not receipted.

I would add that 10 years ago you would be lucky to see change out of a $50 note at that particular border crossing.

Edited by Briggsy
  • Like 1

If you spoke to the guard in Thai then you must obviously have a fair amount of knowledge about how things work in this part of the world.  If you feel like it is worth it to kick up such a fuss then for sure you got your moneys worth.  You helped disrupt the day for everyone on the bus, you had your own intense drama, and you felt superior to everyone around ... and all for only $2.  Good deal, you got your money's worth.:sleep:

• Like 2

Guest Jerry787

2$ OverTime fee.

all such trouble, a movie made to prove how dumb you are, left in the middle of a Lao/Cambodia border for 2$ ?

or this gentleman did not understand to be between Lao and Cambodia Border indeed he guessed he was between Geman - Swiss Border ?

i guess Lao or Cambodia Immigration made a mistake, you shall be been declared persona non grata e placed on the first flight back to your own country.

i am sure the gentleman is a guy who write on tripadvisor that 1 $ food was expensive and not good as central avenue in new york!

Edited by Jerry787

1 word for you 

I can't say it as I will be banned ,but people will know what I mean ,you deserved what you got for the sake off not paying the $2.

Even at the Nong Khai border if you are among the early arrivals you have to pay the early fee, when I was there it was around 400 people waiting for the gates to open at the border a nice earner for them and not 1 person refused to pay ,yes there was some words said but no one refused to pay, it really isn't worth the drama in your life.

15 hours ago, Briggsy said:

The southernmost province of Laos, Champasak, imposes a $1 tax on foreigners entering Laos through its 3 border crossings.

There is typically a charge of 20 Baht, 50 Baht, who knows, at any time they deem "overtime time" which definitely includes weekends, public holidays and any time after around 4pm.

The overtime charge is usually receipted. The $1 Champasak tax is not receipted.

I would add that 10 years ago you would be lucky to see change out of a $50 note at that particular border crossing.

They also seem to be charging 1$ tax on people leaving the country.

I crossed this border 10 years ago heading into Cambodia and they were asking for one $.

Whatever fancy names you give it, tax ,overtime fee etc, if no  official receipt/ticket is given, you can bet that not a dime of it ends up in the national or provincial coffers. 

Also consider what has been happening at the Hadlek/koh kong border:The amount they try to squeeze out of you has been increasing steadily over the years.Why is that:People pay up.If everybody refuses the extortion goes away.You reap what you sow.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, thecyclist said:

It is a scam.They ask for the same 2 bucks when leaving Laos at that border crossing.For the so called 1 $ overtime fee they give you a ticket.Last year I was leaving Laos and refused to pay , I questioned him in Thai (while recording) about this fee, what his name was, whether I would get a receipt etc

Worked like a charm (on the Cambodian side as well), they stamped me out without paying for deleting.They are scared as hell of any recorded evidence of their corruption.Accidentally I failed to delete.Still have the clip. 

Whether it is worth it (saving 2$ on Lao side and 5 on Cambodian side)is an other question.For me it was, took only a few minutes for them to give in.  Why castigate the guy for refusing to give in to systemic extortion ?Would like to know what happened to him.

" Why castigate the guy for refusing to give in to systemic extortion ? "

because as someone else mentioned earlier when you cross into the area between the two countries you are in a kind of no man's land and you are surrounded by all these people with the power to potentially do or say anything. If you read the book by Kerry and Kay Danes named appropriately " Nightmare in Laos " after they were accused (wrongly)of cheating the authorities you come to realise it's not worth arguing with anyone in authority in Laos even if they demanded $20! these people can stitch you up at the drop of a hat:unsure:

3 hours ago, thecyclist said:

They also seem to be charging 1$ tax on people leaving the country.

I crossed this border 10 years ago heading into Cambodia and they were asking for one $.

Whatever fancy names you give it, tax ,overtime fee etc, if no  official receipt/ticket is given, you can bet that not a dime of it ends up in the national or provincial coffers. 

Also consider what has been happening at the Hadlek/koh kong border:The amount they try to squeeze out of you has been increasing steadily over the years.Why is that:People pay up.If everybody refuses the extortion goes away.You reap what you sow.

In Luang Prabang there is a bamboo footbridge which crosses the river and even there a person leaps out of their little makeshift office and demands two dollars or they won't let you cross:giggle:I have found recently Laos has become one of the worst places for charging money for whatever they can get away with including entry to all its temples. Very money hungry

Edited by Asiantravel