Bar 'lady drink' etiquette?

Adbro1

1 hour ago, jeab1980 said:

Well i know some of those people you mention. I would dispute the low standards bit most not all of the ones i know have rather high standards. Plus there not short of a bob or two either.

:crazy:

• Replies 406
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, amexpat said:

So you feel no need to be polite to a mechanic, shoe salesman, waiter?

Hurry along now so you don't miss evening prayer service. 

It is nothing to do with being polite or not

When you converse with a mechanic, shoe sales,am or waiter , you just tell them what you require .

Treat the bar girls in the same way, just go and tell them what you want , in a polite way

Its all the pretense and fakeness , all the lies and deception , suckers falling for it and getting loved up and thinking that they are a very handsome , humorous guy , who "pulls" a different woman every night

Just go and order what you want, like you would do in a restaurant

2 minutes ago, sanemax said:

It is nothing to do with being polite or not

When you converse with a mechanic, shoe sales,am or waiter , you just tell them what you require .

Treat the bar girls in the same way, just go and tell them what you want , in a polite way

Its all the pretense and fakeness , all the lies and deception , suckers falling for it and getting loved up and thinking that they are a very handsome , humorous guy , who "pulls" a different woman every night

Just go and order what you want, like you would do in a restaurant

You sound very jealous that some of us are actually Handsum and if wanted could pull a bird every night. I do belive there is a fishermans mission in Bangkok you could frequent.

5 minutes ago, jeab1980 said:

You sound very jealous that some of us are actually Handsum and if wanted could pull a bird every night. I do belive there is a fishermans mission in Bangkok you could frequent.

Not at all, I have never really been the promiscuous type

Not because Im Religious s (which Im not), not because Im prudish or because I couldnt "pull" a different woman every night (not saying that I could), but its just my preference .

I have nothing against people who want a different partner every night, just not my thing

I hope this topic keeps going, but get back to how to have fun in the bars with the ladies.

For one thing I am wondering how others deal with agressive ladyboys. I only want to talk and hopefully flirt a bit with real women. What do you guys do about LB?

And I could use some pointers on how to avoid getting ganged up on too much by female BG. I do not know how to say no and I get kinda mobbed. Sound familiar guys?

I have been looking for a steady bar for over a year. I have time and money and I like to be generous. I like to hear their stories and about their lives.

Where I come from there are no such thing as welcoming bars with bar girls to sit and talk with like we have here in CM. 

If you dont like this bar BG scene, I understand, no need to comment.

If you do, this can be a good place to share experiences and strategies!

11 hours ago, sanemax said:

You pay to have sex with these people and they will have sex with anyone who will pay .

All chivalry is out the window .

Its a business deal

You are buying what they are selling

Maybe it's time to consider that you are just too sanctimonious..., also..., the post you wrote that reaction to was hugely 'tongue in cheek'..., can't recognise humour when it's there written in black and white - right in front of you  ? :wai: 

Edited by Sandy Freckle

8 hours ago, huli said:

I hope this topic keeps going, but get back to how to have fun in the bars with the ladies.

For one thing I am wondering how others deal with agressive ladyboys. I only want to talk and hopefully flirt a bit with real women. What do you guys do about LB?

And I could use some pointers on how to avoid getting ganged up on too much by female BG. I do not know how to say no and I get kinda mobbed. Sound familiar guys?

I have been looking for a steady bar for over a year. I have time and money and I like to be generous. I like to hear their stories and about their lives.

Where I come from there are no such thing as welcoming bars with bar girls to sit and talk with like we have here in CM. 

You need to learn(preferably, very soon) how to say 'no'...., to state what you wan't, and do not want clearly, firmly and respectfully politely(this is most important). How did you get to where you are now ?..., presumably in your life up until now, you have used 'clear, precise communications'..., why not in these situations at bars with BG's and when confronted by LB's ? 
If per chance you are of smaller stature.., or tend to not subtly project the image of assertiveness, then you need to rather quickly learn to say what you mean...., unless you want to be taken advantage of. It's absolutely not quantum physics.
Clearly and firmly..., but respectfully polite. Go forth and talk grasshopper :wai: 

Edited by Sandy Freckle

On 7/27/2017 at 7:38 AM, sanemax said:

Pathetic guys who cannot form relationships in their home Country

Go to Asia and pay third world prostitutes to like them

You sound just like people in the "rescue industry" or moralistic, crusading Xians...taking a few stereotypes and pretending that they apply across the board.  They do not.  There are PLENTY of customers of sex workers in Thailand (and other places) who are married or have girlfriends, not all (by a long shot) "cannot form relationships in their home country."  Also, you're ignoring the MANY young, handsome male visitors to Thailand who avail themselves of the services of sex workers who are not fat, balding men (another stereotype I'm betting you subscribe to), who have washboard abs and could snap you in two like a twig.  So there's that.

I know this thread should perhaps be put to bed now but a thought has occurred to me that i'd like to share.

Is there any reason why I can't purchase my drink and also buy a lady drink for a girl(obviously)but then drink lady drink myself?

It may sound an odd idea  but half these girls don't even want a drink,they are just doing their job and being bought a lady drink is how they make money.

If i buy and drink the lady drink,its a win-win situation.She gets paid/helps make quota and i get another slightly more expensive drink instead of throwing my money away.

Ok,she's got to sit there while i neck two beers but but it's a small price to pay for the pleasure of my company,hahaha.

I feel like i've just split the atom,reversed time and discovered the meaning of life in one moment of genius:)

Please don't pooh pooh this idea.

Edited by Adbro1

I agree completely. You want it, she doesn't.  Win win. 

And why should a thread be put to bed?  Is TV short on storage space? 

If there is a lack of interest it will just sink to the bottom of the queue.

5 hours ago, Adbro1 said:

Is there any reason why I can't purchase my drink and also buy a lady drink for a girl(obviously)but then drink lady drink myself?

The best for the bar is of course that you keep buying drinks both for yourself and your companion. The above means you buy half of that. Or alternatively get drunk pretty fast :) Plus, the profit margins on lady drinks are fantastic when it's orange juice or any kind of watered down drink, less on beers.

Realistically, nobody will mind if you drink from her glass / bottle. May be considered a bit weird if you just neck two bottles in front of you but who cares.

Edited by XGM

On 8/8/2017 at 5:33 PM, sanemax said:

You pay to have sex with these people and they will have sex with anyone who will pay .

You have a very limited perception of what a bar is.  

And with that you managed to miss THE MAIN THING that makes nightlife in Thailand different.  What you describe is exactly what you'd do in a window in Amsterdam and the like.  

Thank God that Thailand isn't that.  If it was then -much like you- I wouldn't bother.

On 8/8/2017 at 9:08 PM, huli said:

I have been looking for a steady bar for over a year. I have time and money and I like to be generous. I like to hear their stories and about their lives. Where I come from there are no such thing as welcoming bars with bar girls to sit and talk with like we have here in CM. 

Very few bars have ladyboys at all, and among the handful that do most are reasonably well behaved, with possibly one or two exceptions.  So I would personally just skip those bars, much like skipping bars with overly aggressive people of any other gender.

But on the topic of getting ganged up on (by anyone), there really is no problem in saying no.  Take out your phone and tell them you need to write some e-mails if you must.  Or tell them you're waiting for your wife who's shopping around the corner.  (Although personally I don't like lying, also because there's no need to lie about anything in a bar.  You'll get to that point. ) 

And then finally, ignoring girls is so much easier and more natural when you're not by yourself but have a friend (or just anyone) to talk to.  I do notice that when going to bars where people don't know me, like when in Bangkok or Pattaya:  if you're by yourself then really what are you going to do.. you could say 'no' but that telegraphs to the entire bar that you're a tightwad or otherwise not up for playing ball, which is also not quite what you want.   I know I spend a LOT less money in Bangkok bars when I'm with one or several friends.  When on your own it's really best to just buy a drink for someone.  Don't get rushed into it, but really that's just how the business model works, and part of the cost of the experience. 

(The above will inevitably trigger people to tell you to just 'grow a pair', 'just say no' or wonder why you're even care about a prostitute's feelings after rejecting her.   Thank you, we've heard it before. Also in this topic. )

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

For Huli and others there's probably a lot more I can say about the topic of 'bar etiquette' in general. 

Most prominently, keep in mind that bars are still Thailand and Thai culture and manners apply, in many ways even more so than in other places.  Things that gain you karma-brownie-points (to avoid the words 'respect' and 'appreciation') in general life in Thailand are very much the same in bars.

So let's hear it for "Thainess".. in no particular order:

* Generosity. This is most closely related to the lady drink topic, but keep in mind that there are other ways to be generous. Bar workers who know me also know that I will never ever say no to (partly) funding a food or snack purchase from some vendor.  50-80 Baht does not buy a ladydrink, but it buys a feckload of mystery-meatballs on sticks, that lots of staff can share. You've now demonstrated generosity beyond any doubt.  Even when not buying ladydrinks, you've permanently avoided the tightwad category.  Heck I even bring snacks, fruit or cookies to bars sometimes. Or small gifts and trinkets from Chiang Mai when going to Pattaya. Or, better than just about anything: stuff from Europe or the US after an overseas trip.  Girls often remember this for years, long after I completely forgot about it.

* Being considerate. a.k.a. 'mai pen rai'.  Being a bar girl / sex worker can be tough at times. Don't make it harder than it needs to be, also when they make mistakes, are very busy serving drinks, etc.  Don't be demanding.  They open the wrong kind of beer?  Fine, no prob. They open the wrong kind of beer (or make the wrong drink) for another customer who turns that into a big deal: fine, serve it to me.  A group of backpacker ladies break a glass and it turns into a major discussion on if they broke it or the waitress broke it…: (this last week): I nip it in the bud by asking how much a glass costs anyway (80 Baht) and ask the waitress to stop talking and put it on my bill.   Life’s too short, nobody wants to listen to that..  Plus not being demanding in other creative ways like I see so many guys do.. anyone can have an off-day, time of the month, argument with co-worker, whatever.

* Being polite, especially when speaking Thai.  You can never be too polite in Thailand, there’s only cred in using slangy terms if you get it spot on, which is unlikely.  Avoid the horrible bar-Tinglish.  Or when speaking English, you can speak English in such a way that almost nobody will understand you (people from the British isles especially suffer from that) or you can speak clearly, and simply, and almost everyone will understand.

* Making compliments and showing appreciation, about anything, no matter how small.  Find something to be nice about.  Avoid complaining, or even what many Europeans don’t call complaining but ‘observing’ or ‘asking’ but still with a critical slant on it that can be perceived as negative.  But all small talk is fine, about her kids, her parents, her life, her home town.. inevitably you learn a lot that way, I know I did.

* Being honest.  Admittedly this is not the first thing that comes to mind when you hear 'Thainess', but really nobody should ever have a reason to lie about anything in bars.  Don't hide you're married or in a relationship. Mostly because it doesn't matter.  Don't brag, it's not needed. Perhaps one of the best things about bars is that you can really be yourself; it's always good enough.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

13 hours ago, WinnieTheKhwai said:

50-80 Baht does not buy a ladydrink, but it buys a feckload of mystery-meatballs on sticks, that lots of staff can share.

Good idea.  I've never done it but I will.

Avoid the horrible bar-Tinglish. 

Also at home.  Please don't teach people to speak english like infants.

Don't brag, it's not needed.

Little sympathy for the braggart who flashes his watch, chains, etc and brags about his wealth.

Then later, OMG! This girl is so materialistic. She wants my money!

Nice post WTK.

On 8/8/2017 at 9:08 PM, huli said:

From what I have heard (555) Lady Drinks are more expensive. Plus they usually order flat(no unseemly burps) coke or orange. You could tell them to order tequila but I have heard it is more expensive and smaller as a Lady Drink.

Don't know why anyone would stop you from drinking her drink if she doesn't want it. I have heard of girls leaving a glass of flat coke half full.

There are guys who just want to sit and talk and drink with the girls. I would think many of these guys would like the girl to drink with them. To each his own. It's your money. You could do whatever you want with the drink if you don't mind pissing the girl off. Some girls like drinking as you can see in bars that provide a bottle of 100 Pipers for the girls. Takes the edge off the job.

Some bars provide a tray of tequila shots for the girls. Some bars also throw the girls ping pong balls on slow nights. Gotta keep the girls happy. So they keep the customers happy.

Most girls in bars, even a-go-gos, will sit and talk as long as the drinks flow. The girl may drink quickly or slowly. Many factors, including you. Remember, they have a quota to fill in a-go-gos. Plus if they sell a certain number they get to take time off in many a-go-gos.

On ‎8‎/‎8‎/‎2017 at 5:33 PM, sanemax said:

Its a business deal

You are buying what they are selling

Rubbish. Many a night I have been in a barbeer and never left with anyone. No matter how much the antis try to make it all about sex, it's not.

4 hours ago, elgenon said:

From what I have heard (555) Lady Drinks are more expensive. Plus they usually order flat(no unseemly burps) coke or orange. You could tell them to order tequila but I have heard it is more expensive and smaller as a Lady Drink.

Don't know why anyone would stop you from drinking her drink if she doesn't want it. I have heard of girls leaving a glass of flat coke half full.

There are guys who just want to sit and talk and drink with the girls. I would think many of these guys would like the girl to drink with them. To each his own. It's your money. You could do whatever you want with the drink if you don't mind pissing the girl off. Some girls like drinking as you can see in bars that provide a bottle of 100 Pipers for the girls. Takes the edge off the job.

Some bars provide a tray of tequila shots for the girls. Some bars also throw the girls ping pong balls on slow nights. Gotta keep the girls happy. So they keep the customers happy.

Most girls in bars, even a-go-gos, will sit and talk as long as the drinks flow. The girl may drink quickly or slowly. Many factors, including you. Remember, they have a quota to fill in a-go-gos. Plus if they sell a certain number they get to take time off in many a-go-gos.

Quota :cheesy:.

How would they fill a quota when many gogos have less customers than they have girls?

So many urban myths!

In the better gogos the girls don't even beg for a drink, and sit elsewhere unless the customer asks them to sit with him ( or her ).

BTW I've had bar girls sit with me for ages and no drinks- only gave them some money when I left.

9 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Rubbish. Many a night I have been in a barbeer and never left with anyone. No matter how much the antis try to make it all about sex, it's not.

My guess is that the majority of men who visit these bars do so to have a few drinks while chatting and flirting with the ladies, and leave without barfining any of them.

On ‎8‎/‎8‎/‎2017 at 9:08 PM, huli said:

:cheesy:

Just say no. There aren't that many in a normal bar, so you will only have to repeat a few times.

OR, buy a real girl a drink and all the rest will leave you alone.

I have no problem sitting alone in a barbeer/ gogo, as I don't let them hassle me.

Good idea not to ogle one or make eye contact, as that gives them the idea you want them to sit with you.

39 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

How would they fill a quota when many gogos have less customers than they have girls?

So many urban myths!

In the better gogos the girls don't even beg for a drink, and sit elsewhere unless the customer asks them to sit with him ( or her ).

BTW I've had bar girls sit with me for ages and no drinks- only gave them some money when I left.

Well, some just choose not to bother with the whole quota / target thing.  Many don't take a salary, which also means they can show up pretty much when they want. That said, I do wish more bar had a fairer attitude to HR; when you pay a regular salary that also means staff get social benefits.  Especially for fixed cashier staff I can't think of a reason to not have them on a proper payroll.

33 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Good idea not to ogle one or make eye contact, as that gives them the idea you want them to sit with you.

But but..  I DO want them to sit with me!    Or at least close enough for conversation, across the bar is fine.

On 8/8/2017 at 4:08 PM, huli said:

i guess the most important thing is to be able to differentiate between real girls and ladyboys. i'm gay and even i get confused sometimes especially when they look good and have spend some money on the right surgeries. that mainly goes for real transsexuals though and i personally consider them as real girls ( unless you want to start a family thats, not a real problem) 

the other kind are the ladyboys that are still "fully equipped" but have had a boob job and some this and that done. like insanely large behinds.....

real females might  be a bit heavy on the makeup but tend to be of a sofer appearance, there is a distinct difference in proportion between men and women. straight guys are sometimes blinded by exagerrated sexual attributes and don't see the whole picture. generally speaking thai girls want to be cute and sweet looking and not overly sexy. ladybodys might have broader shoulders, a bit more muscle tone etc. etc. and they like to show off the investments but at the same time all of this can also  not apply. 

its a tricky thing and all my straight friends have this problem, especially after a few drinks. 

if u are not sure just be polite but also determined to walk away, a friendly laugh and smile and run for cover in a seven eleven. 

i hope this helps

I suppose this is a way for men to understand what it's like for women dealing with aggressive men...

Lady boys are always taller than Thai women. They are shorter than most westerners anyway, which is probably what confuses a lot of us.

If you go home with the tallest girl in the bar, be ready for a surprise.

Edited by Ruffian Dick

18 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

So many urban myths!

Yes, I have too. But we are hansum. Up to the girls.

As I said, a girl I know wanted to see her kid and needed to sell 10 more drinks within the 10 day period to get time off. You think I am making this up? This was in Sapphire, owned by a TVer I think. If you don't know that some go-gos in Pattaya offer time off if quotas are met in a 10 day period, your education is lacking. IMHO Just because you don't know something doesn't make it fake news.

Also just because something is available doesn't mean all girls will go after it. Especially not-so-beautiful ones who know they can't sell that many drinks. Or ones that are lazy. Or ones who just don't care.

On 8/10/2017 at 5:50 PM, WinnieTheKhwai said:

You have a very limited perception of what a bar is.  

And with that you managed to miss THE MAIN THING that makes nightlife in Thailand different.  What you describe is exactly what you'd do in a window in Amsterdam and the like.  

Thank God that Thailand isn't that.  If it was then -much like you- I wouldn't bother.

Very few bars have ladyboys at all, and among the handful that do most are reasonably well behaved, with possibly one or two exceptions.  So I would personally just skip those bars, much like skipping bars with overly aggressive people of any other gender.

Yea, you are right WTK, LB aren't a problem really. Just like any bar worker they got to get a drink make $ and since I went to the bar, I am fair game. I was just mad at a LB that crashed my table recently (I am drinking with 3 women and he welcomed himself to us). But, all he did was sit there, he was not aggressive, and I bought him 3 drinks along with the ladies, I had little choice, not happy about it at the time. I dont want to blame LB for being aggressive. Any BG might try to weasel in for a drink, why do you think they go to work? In retrospect, it was a minor expense, only that I felt taken, poor me.

On 8/10/2017 at 5:50 PM, WinnieTheKhwai said:

But on the topic of getting ganged up on (by anyone), there really is no problem in saying no.  Take out your phone and tell them you need to write some e-mails if you must.  Or tell them you're waiting for your wife who's shopping around the corner.  (Although personally I don't like lying, also because there's no need to lie about anything in a bar.  You'll get to that point. ) 

And then finally, ignoring girls is so much easier and more natural when you're not by yourself but have a friend (or just anyone) to talk to.  I do notice that when going to bars where people don't know me, like when in Bangkok or Pattaya:  if you're by yourself then really what are you going to do.. you could say 'no' but that telegraphs to the entire bar that you're a tightwad or otherwise not up for playing ball, which is also not quite what you want.   I know I spend a LOT less money in Bangkok bars when I'm with one or several friends.  When on your own it's really best to just buy a drink for someone.  Don't get rushed into it, but really that's just how the business model works, and part of the cost of the experience. 

(The above will inevitably trigger people to tell you to just 'grow a pair', 'just say no' or wonder why you're even care about a prostitute's feelings after rejecting her.   Thank you, we've heard it before. Also in this topic. )

What happens to me is that once I am known in a certain bar for buying lots of lady drinks, that is, many times, when I go back, I am flooded with BG that I know already. So I will always have a big group right away, and its the same every time. Eventually, I have to change bars. Could be that is some kind of natural cycle.

The only reason I go to the bar is to sit with the BG and buy them drinks, but I expect conversation, and I do a slow burn if BG attention is elsewhere talking to others. I usually offer drinks to multiple BG, if the opportunity presents.

To put in a plug for Carnival, you used to talk about it, Winnie, I went there about a month ago and had great times with 2 different BG 2 nights in a row. I remember each of their names, they spoke fine english, really enjoyed myself. I got to get back there.

Winnie, you said you have regular bars. So you know most of the BG there. How do you decide who to buy drinks for? The cashier got to have one, and the new girl(s).....hahaha 

If I go to a bar, and that bar never had any customers yesterday, and its 8pm today, those depressed BG need encouragement, a drink or two, in order to imagine that good luck is beginning for them. I always tell them, it is still early, maybe tonight will be a good night, I came didn't I? I always try to encourage them, saying " Mr Wonderful can walk into this bar anytime, maybe tonight. You never know..".

18 hours ago, huli said:

To put in a plug for Carnival, you used to talk about it, Winnie, I went there about a month ago and had great times with 2 different BG 2 nights in a row. I remember each of their names, they spoke fine english, really enjoyed myself. I got to get back there.

I dont suppose that you were in there last night, was you ?

Just that I was in there last night watching football and I wondered whether anyone else in there was posting on TV

On ‎8‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 4:23 PM, zzidenn said:

i guess the most important thing is to be able to differentiate between real girls and ladyboys. i'm gay and even i get confused sometimes especially when they look good and have spend some money on the right surgeries. that mainly goes for real transsexuals though and i personally consider them as real girls ( unless you want to start a family thats, not a real problem) 

the other kind are the ladyboys that are still "fully equipped" but have had a boob job and some this and that done. like insanely large behinds.....

real females might  be a bit heavy on the makeup but tend to be of a sofer appearance, there is a distinct difference in proportion between men and women. straight guys are sometimes blinded by exagerrated sexual attributes and don't see the whole picture. generally speaking thai girls want to be cute and sweet looking and not overly sexy. ladybodys might have broader shoulders, a bit more muscle tone etc. etc. and they like to show off the investments but at the same time all of this can also  not apply. 

its a tricky thing and all my straight friends have this problem, especially after a few drinks. 

if u are not sure just be polite but also determined to walk away, a friendly laugh and smile and run for cover in a seven eleven. 

i hope this helps

i guess the most important thing is to be able to differentiate between real girls and ladyboys.

Easy to mistake some of them for real girls.

It's not true that LBs are all taller, have large hands or feet, or speak like men.

I guess one could ask them, or just say no if in doubt.

My rule is that if they are constantly preening, they are suspect.

i guess the most important thing is to be able to differentiate between real girls and ladyboys.
Easy to mistake some of them for real girls.
It's not true that LBs are all taller, have large hands or feet, or speak like men.
I guess one could ask them, or just say no if in doubt.
My rule is that if they are constantly preening, they are suspect.

A lot of ladyboys also still have a penis.

1 hour ago, sanemax said:

Just that I was in there last night watching football and I wondered whether anyone else in there was posting on TV

1 hour ago, sanemax said:

No not last night, how was it? Can you give us a report?

Edited by huli
forgot