Fruit-"Wine" going up in price massively??

moonseeker

Not to start a discussion about wine or not wine or quality of these boxed "wines".....A friend who buys them at one of the bigger outlets was just told they will go up in price by at least 50% soon, due to new taxes. 

Any feedback or info on this by someone who really knows? Might be the end of the cheap house-wine by the glass....

Thank you. MS>

I'm not talking about a blend of grapes but anything mixed with wine IMV, even other wines, ruins it and there's no such thing as a cheap house wine here by comparison with other producing countries; the Thai wine is priced to match imported wine because they can't or won't produce enough; the government happy to take the easier route of collecting import duty.

Edited by piersbeckett
punctuation error

1 hour ago, NanLaew said:

The country is broke so hiking tax on fruit wine sounds like a no-brainer for the no-brains running the show.

Just for clarification : How is this country broke ?  My understanding is foreign currency reserves are high and there is current account  surplus  from exports and tourism. 

23 minutes ago, morrobay said:

Just for clarification : How is this country broke ?  My understanding is foreign currency reserves are high and there is current account  surplus  from exports and tourism. 

Don't you go messing up peoples idea's with facts... the country is far from broke has a debt ratio many first world countries would kill for.  42,7 percent government debt to gdp. UK 89,3 US over 106,10%  Dutch 62,3%

3 hours ago, moonseeker said:

Might be the end of the cheap house-wine

There is no cheap wine in Thailand. No cheap beer either. It's all quite expensive compared to many other countries.

The only fairly cheap alcohol here is that paint thinner lao khao stuff, and I wont be drinking that in this lifetime.

Has anyone ever tried the 5 litre bottles of wine in Makro, Pattaya. The red and the white are quite good, the red is rosso and the white is bianco, I think, both bottles less than 800 baht each.

ps I know rosso means red and bianco means white.

3 hours ago, morrobay said:

And if you believe them, that's perfectly OK.

2 hours ago, robblok said:

Don't you go messing up peoples idea's with facts... the country is far from broke has a debt ratio many first world countries would kill for.  42,7 percent government debt to gdp. UK 89,3 US over 106,10%  Dutch 62,3%

And the unemployment. Don't forget the fabulous 1.1% unemployment.

Back ON TOPIC, this fruit wine stuff was in the news last year. If I recall correctly, the most popular Mont Clair brand that came from South Africa was attracting a different excise rate (different colored label) from the locally repackaged stuff that was also imported.

hmmmm..... any bottles of wine I have bought in Thailand have been absolute rubbish whether red or white..... so guess what?......I don't  buy it any more. I'm picking if there are any price increases they won't be able to give them away.... but TIT

5 hours ago, piersbeckett said:

I'm not talking about a blend of grapes but anything mixed with wine IMV, even other wines, ruins it and there's no such thing as a cheap house wine here by comparison with other producing countries; the Thai wine is priced to match imported wine because they can't or won't produce enough; the government happy to take the easier route of collecting import duty.

My theory is not so much supply as limiting demand.

I think wine is regarded as elite and the elite don't really want the masses assuming their status. So control the purchase by limiting those who can afford or feel it worthwhile purchasing.

They are redoing the  excise tax on everything and alcohol is one area where it will go up at the retail level but no one seems to know exactly how much. The Government is supposed to announce the rates in August. It seems to be a national secret at the moment.

9 minutes ago, Thaidream said:

They are redoing the  excise tax on everything and alcohol is one area where it will go up at the retail level but no one seems to know exactly how much. The Government is supposed to announce the rates in August. It seems to be a national secret at the moment.

Finally! The OP has his validation! Thanks for that.

Just now, bbbbooboo said:

hmmmm..... any bottles of wine I have bought in Thailand have been absolute rubbish whether red or white..... so guess what?......I don't  buy it any more. I'm picking if there are any price increases they won't be able to give them away.... but TIT

You can get some good wine here but it's very expensive. Protect the monopolies that's what it's all about. Increasing taxes, well, have to pay for the ever increasing military budget somehow.

7 hours ago, Moonlover said:

Rumour and hearsay. I heard from a mate. Here we go again!

Sadly I think it's true- was having dinner with a restaurant owner- who imports his own wine- and  yes he was concerned about the prices he may have to charge .

Definitely not rumour and hearsay .

Edited by peterb17
Grammar

5 hours ago, robblok said:

With millions people having just enough to eat.

I am not a wine drinker because I become all the time headache about it but when I was in Sri Lanka and India I drunk sometimes selfmade wine of mango, jackfruit and pineapple.  It had a nice taste but I drunk it same beer and in the morning ..... headache so much!!!

So why no one here make his own wine? It's very easy to do. And need only some weeks for wait.

Everything you need you can buy on Lazada or Makro, Tesco, ....

https://www.wineturtle.com/pineapple-wine-recipe/

Google gives you also a lot of ideas and receipes.

The laughable thing is that 99% of Thais don't drink wine yet this product attracts the highest percentage in tax and the real ""lao"" liver destroyer the least.

Could it be that this is another special tax on foreigners?

7 hours ago, Moonlover said:

Rumour and hearsay. I heard from a mate. Here we go again!

24 minutes ago, peterb17 said:

Sadly I think it's true- was having dinner with a restaurant owner- who imports his own wine- and  yes he was concerned about the prices he may have to charge .

Definitely not rumour and hearsay .

Can you not detect the irony in what you've just posted here?

Who cares? I don't drink wine in Thailand,  because the locally-produced stuff is terrible. The imported stuff is no better - most countries are sending Thailand the rubbish they can't sell in their own country. Then add in transport - even the best imported wines are ruined due to vibration and temperature changes.

Better to stick to whisky and local beer. If I want to drink wine, I'll drink it in Australia.

They are supposed to be reducing taxes on wines from Australia on a trade agreement. I think all taxes on Australian wines are

supposed to be gone in 3 years. Anybody know if the government is going to honor those agreements?

PS: I buy an 8 liter red boxed at Makro for 1129THB. Not bad for a boxed wine and Thailand.

Let's hope there are no new taxes, so far the prices have remained the same. 2 weeks ago I bought a 2 liter bottle of fruity white wine from best supermarket for 380 baht, was not bad and was imported from Australia. Whilst not cheap, it isn't expensive either.

7 minutes ago, little mary sunshine said:

I get the 5liter box of Australia white wine at Makro

good for table wine.....a little dry, my friend puts a 

little stevia in her glass swares it tastes wonderful.

It's already got fruit juice in it so surely sweet enough, but then everyone to their own!