Video: Crisis at Pattaya beach! Thai media steps up campaign to clean up resort

webfact

5 hours ago, Dobredin Ghusputin said:

At least they're not yet digging up dead bodies on the beach like Samui.

But that's part of the master plan!  All the effluent and waste they pump into the sea helps to decompose the bodies much quicker.  No need to dig!  More room for sunbeds and umbrellas!

There's much worse than sh*te in that brown sludge!

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

5 hours ago, Dobredin Ghusputin said:

At least they're not yet digging up dead bodies on the beach like Samui.

Pattaya is different and cannot be compared to Samui in this sence - in Pattaya the dead are walking from beer bar to beer bar...

I'm just wondering if the authorities ever check the water cleanliness( laugh) levels?This is law in most countries, and where I live, south of france, it is checked regularly.Most  of our beaches, which definitely have more tourists than Thailand, get the Blue Flag award every year. There are water treatments centres everywhere, boats and yachts do not throw their waste into the sea, heavy fines are put on those breaking any law. It's a great pleasure to swim in these beautiful clean waters.

The local authorities, and higher up in Bangkok, have no idea what they are talking about when it comes to tourism ! Completely third world ! I'm quite sure if scientific tests were carried out in Thailand , most  beaches 

would get a bad result, with Pattaya area leading the list ! 

Disgusting lack of governing.

6 hours ago, mikebell said:

But all the bar-owners are paying towards the clean-up.

the bar owners are mostly police aaaand they are busy collecting money from the jet ski owners aaaand their over used scams on un suspecting foreigners unfortunate enough to get done over by these scum....

43 minutes ago, mlmcleod said:

Nominal attacks on local "gambling dens" populated by 65 year olds and raids on soapy massage parlors do nothing to improve Pattayas image!

Tony has been to these places where the soapy happens.  They use real soap!

Just now, just.a.thought said:

The source for the shit is still there. Strang there has been no water tests done. Had there been tests done,and it was safe to swim in, city hall would surely have told everyone so.

In 2001 Tony first visited Jomtiem Beach.  Tony liked to stay 3 months. Once Tony swam in the ocean in 2008 only to see tampons floating by.  Tony never swam in that ocean again.  Tony will now seriously look to move Tony and Family to Da Nang.

My son was depity at a 5* hotel in Koh Samui.

Tried to motivate the staff to remove the rubbish, but especially the glass parts out of the (private) beach. Imagine: you pay quite some money per night, want to go to the beach and.. half an hour later you step in a broken bottle...

IMPOSSIBLE to tech the Thais to clean up the rubble. Always the same: when a farang does not do it... it will never happen... After 2 months he was fed up seen so many things impossible to teach the Thais and insisted another place in that hotel group, but out of S.E. Asia.

Just now, TonyClifton said:

In 2001 Tony first visited Jomtiem Beach.  Tony liked to stay 3 months. Once Tony swam in the ocean in 2008 only to see tampons floating by.  Tony never swam in that ocean again.  Tony will now seriously look to move Tony and Family to Da Nang.

Off topic a little, but I agree with you Tony.  

When I took my (Thai) family to Vietnam for a vacation last year, I was really impressed by the cleanliness of the beaches (a machine raked it flat and scooped up any litter nightly) and the friendliness of the people.

Many people spoke English and the kids over there were ever eager to try out their English language skills.

The beach in Pattaya is just symptomatic of the wider problem of (IMHO) tourist burn-out.  The first thing you're likely to see from a Thai in a tourist area these days is a sneer or an insult.  In Vietnam it's a smile.

8 minutes ago, TonyClifton said:

I understand Tony very well,same thing has crossed my mind,time to move the family.

After 4 years here our time is over due to commitments back home plus the kids schooling options being better.
Have to say I'm not that unhappy to be going back and as my wife is Thai we may be back some day.......  

I'm not sure what area we may come back to but it be researched first and won't be the Pattaya/Chonburi area again. 

Reinforces my decision to live in Chiang Mai, about as far away from a beach as you can get in Thailand.

It's not perfect, floods a bit, alleged smokey season that never bothers me and lots of Chinese, but at least the bars are under control, there are few Russians, and surrounded by lovely countryside and mountains. If I want a swim, I use a pool.

Not an invitation, plenty of farangs enjoying it already!

Reinforces my decision to live in Chiang Mai, about as far away from a beach as you can get in Thailand.
It's not perfect, floods a bit, alleged smokey season that never bothers me and lots of Chinese, but at least the bars are under control, there are few Russians, and surrounded by lovely countryside and mountains. If I want a swim, I use a pool.

Not an invitation, plenty of farangs enjoying it already!

Lung cancer vs skin cancer same same but...

16 minutes ago, Homburg said:

Is this a genuine attempt to clean up Pattaya beach, or are they just going through the motions?

I think they're swimming and wading through the "motions", by the sound of it! :sick:

Tony knows that the only way to clean up any beach is to have the locals treat their beach with respect. Tony saw this in Da Nang where the beach was mainly used by the Vietnamese People. Tony saw pride in the beach by the Vietnamese locals but Tony fails to see any pride in the Thais who destroy the once wonderful beaches of Thailand.  Tony knows it is time to leave.

"alleged smokey season that never bothers me and lots of Chinese,"

got a good laugh out of this, it took my GF six weeks to recover from the lung problems and we couldn't see the lovely mountains for the smoke. The airport was closed many times which is apparently a regular occurence. It seemed to be a nice place even if you don't wear rose-tinted glasses. 

Get on a boat and go halfway from

pattaya to hua hin... look in the water and report what you see... i know what you will see in the middle of the gulf of thailand.... plastic and platic and plastic as far ss u can see

1 hour ago, Peterphuket said:

Better come to Hua-hin, or Cha-am, there is everything clean.

I have nice studio's for rent or buy....;-)))

I have been in JomTien for a week now, was looking at a place to rent, loads of them, then I went down to JomTien beach, although I didn't see  anything close to what is on the video, it still is pretty f'd up.   Might take a ride over to Hua Hin for a week and check out the area, i am in no hurry.