Prayut dismisses criticism of mismanagement as Isaan reels under heavy inundation

webfact

Of course, it is completely wrong to criticise or question the current regime and what they have or have not got in place for flood disasters and prevention - it's only the 4th consecutive rainy season since they came to power, incidentally general is the longest running PM for over a decade! 

Edited by DerekMarshall

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Acting like he is really concerned about the flooding is showing sooooooo much similarity to 'Our' president Donald Trump......... Talk, Talk, Talk.............

Trump and Thai Powers-that-be......... same,same.......

All talk................ No effort.................

I can almost anticipate the Thai regime using this to promote need for more  submarines............. (as pictured)

When you observe this Thai (unelected) PM and you watch Trump...... You can see so much similarity.............. (gloating as if they are productive)........

Contrary to most of the posts on this thread, there has been some activity by the government and NGOs to find possible solutions for the flood/drought problems in Thailand in the last couple of years. The problem is rampant across the globe, not just in Thailand.

One solution is to implement subsurface water storage systems. A study was done in 2015, and the results were published in January of 2016:

http://www2.dgr.go.th/broadcast_file/adbSWSresearchrepor_070459.pdf

Of course there has to be a lot of work done and money invested to make anything work - a study is only the start. Part of the problem is a lack of coordination and information. There is probably information that oil companies have that could be useful that is a by product of seismic exploration for oil and gas, which 'maps' out the subterranean geology. The government leases the rights for exploration and could make it a prerequisite that this information be released and possibly augmented in a way to be more informative for the near surface geological structures to aid in identifying and quantifying aquifers.

Prayut said he did not want the suffering of flood victims to be politicised in an effort to discredit the government,"

This proves he doesn't have a clue about what the job of Prime Minister involves

No trains - Don Muang surrounding roads   under construction with a 3 hour arrival delay, The bus ? no way......The car? no way?

Easy and silent yingluck final statement @ the court ,tomorrow?

Edited by hgma

Unfortunately, for Thai people, the PM hands out blame but does not accept it :post-4641-1156693976:

No such thing as a 'natural disaster' only the disastrous impact of natural hazards in infrastructure etc.

Edited by lvr181
Additional comment

Prayut said he did not want the suffering of flood victims to be politicised in an effort to discredit the government, according to spokesman Lt-General Sansern Kaewkamnerd. He said state agencies had frequently issued weather warnings but that the severe flooding stemmed from a natural disaster, not government mismanagement.

The Path of this storm had been widely shared on several overseas stations and it's predicted path, not only on Thai TV but other countries which had been previously affected.

State agencies did indeed broadcast warnings.. many times

But if nothing is done by way of preventative measures at local levels then the outcome is as we see every year, it is Gov mismanagement when local management do not full-fill their obligations to the public but remain in office to offend time and time again!

7 hours ago, colinneil said:

Prayut dismisses criticism of mismanagement if Issan floods.

The government dont care about Issan, because it is full of Yingluck supporters.

That would be why they've got the military and aid organizations trying to help.

Wasn't it a certain esteemed scientific genius and PTP minister who told Phuket openly that they wouldn't be getting a new conference center and money spent on them because they didn't vote PTP?

7 hours ago, Deez said:

"He also invited members of the public to make cash donations for flood victims through a PM’s Office account with the state-run Krungthai Bank"  

All legit, of course

I suppose the public has to fork out again and pick up the tab because Prayuth already squandered the public coffers on a submarine that will never be used and tanks, armoured cars and helicopters that almost certainly will be.

3 hours ago, hotchilli said:

Prayut said he did not want the suffering of flood victims to be politicised in an effort to discredit the government, according to spokesman Lt-General Sansern Kaewkamnerd. He said state agencies had frequently issued weather warnings but that the severe flooding stemmed from a natural disaster, not government mismanagement.

The Path of this storm had been widely shared on several overseas stations and it's predicted path, not only on Thai TV but other countries which had been previously affected.

State agencies did indeed broadcast warnings.. many times

But if nothing is done by way of preventative measures at local levels then the outcome is as we see every year, it is Gov mismanagement when local management do not full-fill their obligations to the public but remain in office to offend time and time again!

And in saying so, he just politicised it.

3 hours ago, Baerboxer said:

That would be why they've got the military and aid organizations trying to help.

Wasn't it a certain esteemed scientific genius and PTP minister who told Phuket openly that they wouldn't be getting a new conference center and money spent on them because they didn't vote PTP?

And here I thought we were discussing the possible/likely mismanagement of the Isaan flooding by the junta....silly me! Didn't realise the PTP were involved.

Let me check the title of the thread again:

"Prayut dismisses criticism of mismanagement as Isaan reels under heavy inundation"

Wait a minute....we are discussing the junta.....who knew!!

10 hours ago, Baerboxer said:

Perhaps but how is that in any way relevant to the present flood situation? Or is every failure of the present government excused by failures of previous governments?

Even my Missus who comes from Ayutthaya and never spoken about politics in the years I have been with her, mentioned her dislike of P-Man today because in Thai news he's given the excuse he cannot visit flood area because the plane cannot land.So much for the helicopters, he bought. If she's anything to go by this Junta is very unpopular with even moderate Thais, and good luck to them I say

Edited by Dave67

7 hours ago, Becker said:

And here I thought we were discussing the possible/likely mismanagement of the Isaan flooding by the junta....silly me! Didn't realise the PTP were involved.

Let me check the title of the thread again:

"Prayut dismisses criticism of mismanagement as Isaan reels under heavy inundation"

Wait a minute....we are discussing the junta.....who knew!!

Lol

I think we ALL know many things were mismanaged back then, just as they are now, but oddly for some the past is more important than the present. Seems quite facile to me.

10 minutes ago, Dave67 said:

Even my Missus who comes from Ayutthaya and never spoken about politics in the years I have been with her, mentioned her dislike of P-Man today because in Thai news he's given the excuse he cannot visit flood area because the plane cannot land.So much for the helicopters, he bought. If she's anything to go by this Junta is very unpopular with even moderate Thais, and good luck to them I say

I live in an area as yellow as jaundice, but televisions seem to be muted or switched off on a Friday Evening at a certain time. I get the feeling that even here the junta have worn out their welcome.

Too late, mind you: They are here to stay. Once Yingluck is out of the way it will be even smoother sailing for them. They have won and have a constitution to show it...

14 hours ago, Baerboxer said:

So are you saying if they built the conference centre in Phuket this would've prevented the flooding in the north?  

On 7/31/2017 at 6:37 AM, colinneil said:

Prayut dismisses criticism of mismanagement if Issan floods.

The government dont care about Issan, because it is full of Yingluck supporters.

Only partially true. More accurately, the government does not like Issan people, because they are not wealthy. Nearly all current and past administrations have shown tremendous disdain for the masses, and those that are not wealthy and influential. That is a fact. 

On ‎01‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 11:31 AM, Father Fintan Stack said:

They get the government they deserve I suppose.

The real fun will start on here when the government starts to get rid of all the expats or force them onto more expensive visa options, the 'fun' places get closed down and the junta conservative jackboot starts to really come down.

Won't work as they still need the US/UK/Japanese paying out the massive tea money to the their cronies.  Whilst the PM is attempting to model Thailand along the lines of N Korea in doing so he will ensure,  if that is the outcome,  that is backers and the Elite will surely get the chop in massive numbers under such a draconian regime. 

On 7/31/2017 at 4:31 AM, webfact said:

but that the severe flooding stemmed from a natural disaster, not government mismanagement.

ignores the facts, the reservoirs and other water retention areas were full Before the flooding; why ?