Why Change Web Site Design, Layout, Organization

gk10002000

Goodness.  why move the stuff all around?  It is now much harder to find the forums.  There is no new functionality.  I guess it is nice if you have money to spend and you want to keep you web designers busy, but have them do something useful instead of just move things around like many stores do.  This is much worse than just a few weeks ago

I was elated yesterday (yeah, my life is that boring and mundane) that when using the back arrow to return to the main forum list it didn't bounce up and down (scrolling rapidly up and down) while the ads inserted themselves.  What a nice experience to use the back arrow and see a motionless main forum list.  That was when the Like function was still missing.

Today, we have Like again, but the main menu is back to bouncing.  Since we know it *is* possible to not have the ads keep resizing their space to scroll the list as the ads load, can't we keep it as a permanent feature.  PLEASE?

I was sceptical at the beginning - like button disappeared, as did the  'pointers' to topics/posts read already - but must say now that the new layout and font are a big improvement, especially the new font is really great!!!

What I see with this upgrade is that Thaivisa took a very good, usable desktop version and made it as bad as the mobile version. That is certainly one way of making them equivalent...but sadly the wrong way. Now when you click on a link it takes 30 seconds to finish loading because it redraws 20 times. You think it is finished loading, you try and click on a link, but the link disappears out from under you because something reformatted the page.

Looking at TV on a mobile phone always did this, which is extremely frustrating and why I always used the desktop site whenever possible. Now even that is gone.

Big disappointment and a definitely worse than what you had previously.  If there is any possibility to restore the previous version for desktop, or at least give desktop users an option to choose to view in the previous version, I urge you to consider it. Whatever new features you gained with this are definitely not worth it.

10 hours ago, Monomial said:

That is certainly one way of making them equivalent...but sadly the wrong way. Now when you click on a link it takes 30 seconds to finish loading because it redraws 20 times. You think it is finished loading, you try and click on a link, but the link disappears out from under you because something reformatted the page.

Actually that's more likely to be the javascript which is (mostly) not deferred.

Just out of curiosity I ran a TV page through my favourite analyser. What a nightmare!

GT.JPG

Edited by Maestro
Deleted off-topic part of the post.

That's an interesting test report you posted. Other members may want to run the same test on their computers and I invite you to give the name of the – hopefully free – program you use.

Also I find web pages that jump up and down while loading quite annoying and I have stopped reading some news sites for this reason. I believe this did not happen with earlier versions of the forum software used by Thaivsa and I expect that this problem can be corrected.

We really need the the post numbers back.

When you are catching up on a long thread. you make a note of which posts you would like to respond to. and you finish reading the thread so you don't post what someone else already said. Now the posts are un-numbered and in a long thread, lost.

37 minutes ago, canuckamuck said:

We really need the the post numbers back.

When you are catching up on a long thread. you make a note of which posts you would like to respond to. and you finish reading the thread so you don't post what someone else already said. Now the posts are un-numbered and in a long thread, lost.

Agreed, and I also miss the old (several "upgrades??" ago) feature that could take me to the first unread post in a thread instead of being faced with 20 pages and no clue where I had left off.

And I, too, find the bouncy loading and page reformatting to be irritating.  Like Maestro, a lot of the content just isn't worth the aggravation of waiting until all the irrelevant ads download before clicking.

While I'm venting, I notice that some ads have an X button that seems to indicate I never want to see them again.  Good idea that should be made across all of them.  I really don't care about snoring or tracking my vehicle by GPS.  It's a waste of the advertisers' money to put the ads in front of me.  And my bandwidth and time.

3 hours ago, Maestro said:

That's an interesting test report you posted. Other members may want to run the same test on their computers and I invite you to give the name of the – hopefully free – program you use.

https://gtmetrix.com/

Not a programme, just a free online analyser. I find it works very well and it gives good hints as to how to improve a site.