Need NES Country Passport to Get Work Permit?

I was just told by a recruiter that the Thai government requires a NES country passport to issue work permits for teaching jobs.

Is this true?

I have dual citizenship but don't have a US passport and she is insisting that I get one.

I had a work permit a few years ago but it was not for a teaching job and they only asked for my bachelor's degree.

Somebody also told me that the Ministry of Education requires a 120 hour TEFL certificate. True?

I'd appreciate it if somebody could let me know what are the minimum requirements from the Thai government to issue a work permit for a teaching job. 

Thanks in advance.

My school is not a government school, but it is under OBEC, and all the NNES teachers have work permits.  With regard to TOEIC, I am not even 100% certain that TOEIC is a government requirement, but I think it is.  It's quite new.  Our place wants 800, but I think that is far higher than a government school would want.

Having said all that, are you actually a native speaker according to the strictest terms?  Did you grow up in the US?

Recruiter? Run!

Insists you get a US passport (for 30k job). Good luck with that one.

Recently having two separate discussions w two different Thai teachers, even they have nothing but disdain for agencies.

1 hour ago, Slip said:

My school is not a government school, but it is under OBEC, and all the NNES teachers have work permits.  With regard to TOEIC, I am not even 100% certain that TOEIC is a government requirement, but I think it is.  It's quite new.  Our place wants 800, but I think that is far higher than a government school would want.

Having said all that, are you actually a native speaker according to the strictest terms?  Did you grow up in the US?

Have to dig out that old code book once again.

A few years ago, I believe they required a score of 600 and up for BKK and surrounding provinces.   For other provinces it was 500.   Exactly where the regulations were written, I don't know, but the Visa people at the different schools I was involved with knew what was required.   They wouldn't process anyone without those scores, and it wasn't a requirement of the school.  

Sorry for the late reply, Slip, but yes I did grow up in the US and consider myself to be a native speaker.

I checked the link you posted and it lists the required documentation for a "Provisional Teaching Permit".

Forgive me for my ignorance but do I need a Provisional Teaching Permit to work as a teacher? Or is this a requirement only in government schools, for example? 

As I mentioned, I had a work permit a few years ago but it was not for a teaching job and I only had to submit my Bachelor's degree.

I guess I could take the TOEIC if it is a mandatory requirement.  It's just not clear to me that it is.

Edited by helicondelta

1 hour ago, helicondelta said:

Sorry for the late reply, Slip, but yes I did grow up in the US and consider myself to be a native speaker.

I checked the link you posted and it lists the required documentation for a "Provisional Teaching Permit".

Forgive me for my ignorance but do I need a Provisional Teaching Permit to work as a teacher? Or is this a requirement only in government schools, for example? 

As I mentioned, I had a work permit a few years ago but it was not for a teaching job and I only had to submit my Bachelor's degree.

I guess I could take the TOEIC if it is a mandatory requirement.  It's just not clear to me that it is.

The US passport will help you get a higher salary in some schools. Not sure about government ones though. So just for that reason it's worthwhile getting it.

You need a provisional teachers licence for working in most schools, whether they be private of public schools. 

2 hours ago, helicondelta said:

I am not an expert but- the official requirement to teach in an OBEC school (Office of the Basic Education Commission- basically if it is a 'normal' Thai school it's OBEC even if it's private, international schools notwithstanding) is now a Degree in Education or an undergrad degree and a post-graduate qualification, which will enable you to get your teaching permit from TCT (Teachers Council of Thailand a.k.a. Krusepha.) 

However, you can legally get a job with an just an undergrad degree.  Once you have started your job you are expected to upgrade you qualifications to fall into line with the requirements.  Whilst this is happening you will get a waiver (provisional licence as mentioned by DavisH above) from the TCT which will allow you to work legally.  From what I have seen this time scale is typically 3-5 years on waiver, and you can move jobs but each time you do you need a new waiver, and I think the number they will issue is limited.

You don't mention your dual-nationality country, but I guess if you are here on the passport of a non-native speaking country then you will be treated as such and required to do the TOEIC like any other non-native speaker, regardless of the fact that you are actually a native speaker.  Again as DavisH notes, native speakers are typically paid quite a bit better than non-natives, but that will be negotiated between you and the school/ agent you work for.  I wouldn't be surprised if less reputable places try to use the lack of an NES passport as a reason to drive down your salary, especially if you are asian or african in appearance.

As for the recruiter, perhaps she feels she can market you better (at a premium) as a 'card-carrying' native speaker than a true native speaker on an NES passport, but what she tells you is simply untrue.  N-nes can and do get work permits all the time. 

On 7/31/2017 at 5:02 PM, Slip said:

Not true and not true.  You must be a graduate to work in a school.  If you can't prove you are a NES then you might have to do the TOEIC.

I was recently asked to do a TOEIC test. A bit confused now, as there are different tests. I did my last one, which was similar to the "Listening and Reading test" 11 years ago, when there was only one standardised TOEIC test. As an aspiring teacher, is this the one to take, or should I opt for the "Speaking and Reading test"?