Only Using Monthly Income for Retirement Extension

As the UK embassy are allowing you to apply for the letter by email I assume they are now happy with scanned copies?

When applying by post they always insisted on sending them original documents which they would return.

Seems a bit of a turnaround.

9 minutes ago, Here2008 said:

Is this a new service which is not yet mentioned on the British Embassy web site? 

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/631665/Attachment_2.pdf

It is mentioned  in that document.

Email Address Email your application and documents to Bangkok.documentaryservices at fco.gov.uk and your letter will be posted to the address stated on your application form.

Noe: I broke the email link in the quote.

If you look on the application form half way down it says you can send your application by post or email.

However at the top of the form in red it says this service is only available by post!!!

Clear as mud as usual.

Maybe it means they will only return the letter by post and not by email??

7 hours ago, cauldlad said:

As the UK embassy are allowing you to apply for the letter by email I assume they are now happy with scanned copies?

When applying by post they always insisted on sending them original documents which they would return.

Seems a bit of a turnaround.

My pension’s providers stopped sending ‘payslips’ out about 5 years ago.  Everything is now available online.  So for the past 5 years I’ve taken screen prints of payments that they have made for the previous 2 months and sent copies to the embassy.  Never been a problem, so scanned copies sent via email should be OK.

3 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

It is mentioned  in that document.

I have just checked and indeed they do mention email application!

" Email your application and documents to [email protected] and your letter will be posted to the address stated on your application form"

I had not noticed this previously and they obviously no longer require original documentary evidence of income.

Interesting!

Last March, I was told that they would not accept US Embassy income letters because the US does not guarantee the income amount. That was my eleventh retirement extension using the income letter--no such issue with the previous ten. Since I had ten previous extensions; they granted an extension this year if I would write and sign a letter stating I would show money monthly through my Thai bank for next year.

Have no other Americans encountered such an issue?

11 hours ago, PoorSucker said:

Some immigration officers want to see a bank book even if you use the income option. 

Here on Samui it's enough to show a bank book with 5.000 baht. 

i am not in samui; but hard cash is hard cash; even the sometimes-challenged thai know that; the income variants seem to me to be a bit shady/changeable; we have seen on a number of fronts recently that thai immigration has changed their attitudes and policies ; the real powers that be here are in serious back room conversations and you can bet none of that is in our favor

4 hours ago, glegolo said:

I would NEVER EVER use a site like that!! I have Thaivisa.com who is a reliable source of information.... Pattaya sites is like the rest of Pattaya, a bit out there...

Glegolo

Did you look at the web site before you posted this?

The writer did a pretty good job of detailing the required information.

I would not be so concerned wrt..

don't want to keep large (ish) deposits unprotected in Thailand.   

(By all means don't put everything you have here)

There is deposit protection in Thailand up to sufficient limits for a retirement extension option. The 800k gets more airtime because it is less onerous. Verifying your income often involves extra costs and dealing with your Embassy or Consulate.

Edited by jacko45k

19 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

I suggest to anybody that is close on meeting the 65k baht number that they put some money in the bank to use with your income to meet the total of 800k baht combination option requirement.

For example if a 3 baht devaluation of your currency would be a problem you could put in 20k baht to make up the difference between a annual income of 780k baht to reach the 800k baht total plus about 22k baht that would cover the 3 baht change. You could put it in a fixed term account and just leave there in case.

Is it OK to have the money, still in GBP in a Foreign Currency Account with Bkk Bank?. It is immediately available if transferred into current account via online banking.

Just now, wgdanson said:

Is it OK to have the money, still in GBP in a Foreign Currency Account with Bkk Bank?.

It will be accepted at most immigration offices. The bank has to do a letter stating the amount in baht in the account using the exchange rate for the date they do the letter.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, glegolo said:

what kind of crap is that? what have my post to do with your answer?

Glegolo

Wow you get triggered easily. It was to show that you are one of the few people who have to travel so far. 

Edited by csabo

15 hours ago, beachtime said:

Can the monthly income be foreign rental income from a property?

Does the embassy have to confirm this from bank statements, or can it be verified with regular transfers to Thailand?

Thanks

On the assumption that you are a fellow Brit I can confirm, on the basis of personal experience, that this is, indeed, possible.

As regards the evidence required by the Embassy, I personally provide this in the form of the current tenancy agreement (or at least the section specifying the gross monthly rent payable by the tenants), and I have not experienced any difficulty with the Embassy confirming my rental income on this basis. The problem with bank statements and regular transfers is that these would be net of managing agents' fees and the costs of property repairs/maintenance which the agents have arranged on your behalf. In total these deductions could make quite a significant difference.

Edited by OJAS

1 hour ago, csabo said:

Wow you get triggered easily. It was to show that you are one of the few people who have to travel so far. 

Hmm, I think that he is a Swede (and, therefore, not American) actually!

1 hour ago, csabo said:

Yeah sorry about that, must be my sugar-level:passifier::passifier:.....

Glegolo

Edited by glegolo

10 minutes ago, glegolo said:

A N D ,  so what??????

(not triggered by anything)

Glegolo

Re-read what he said in the first place:-

"Thanks to the USA embassy outreach. Truly a blessing and something they don't have to do. The amount of time and money this saves American citizens must be staggering." 

I thought that you would be grateful for what I said rather than have a go at me!

4 minutes ago, OJAS said:

Re-read what he said in the first place:-

"Thanks to the USA embassy outreach. Truly a blessing and something they don't have to do. The amount of time and money this saves American citizens must be staggering." 

I thought that you would be grateful for what I said rather than have a go at me!

I would´nt go at you with anything, so plse do not get triggered now...

Glegolo

Edited by glegolo

looks like I started a but of a spat with this post, but thanks for the info all.   I am a UK Citizen and so will use that embassy service,  which seems straight forward.   I intend to use my P60s and  my submitted UK tax return from April this year as my proof of income.  Does anyone have other info on this kind of proof?   

2 hours ago, David Walden said:

It is highly unlikely that any Embassy will guarantee that the information contained in a declaration is true and correct.  A letter or statutory declaration is simply a legal document made under oath by you that the information contained therein is true and if not true penalties can be applied, like going to jail for up to 4 years.  Many people make false declarations in Thailand all day ever day.  I can go into any Thai Immigration office and in 1 minute I can prove on line that I have funds well in excess of the required amount for a retirement visa.  But this not good enough for them, a concocted letter or statutory declaration from your Embassy might be OK...TIT..."when will they ever learn, when will they ever learn la la la la"...Peter Paul & Mary.

Well, thank you for the logic; however, this is Thailand and that is what was said and what happened.

On 02/08/2017 at 5:51 AM, jacko45k said:

I would not be so concerned wrt..

don't want to keep large (ish) deposits unprotected in Thailand.   

(By all means don't put everything you have here)

There is deposit protection in Thailand up to sufficient limits for a retirement extension option. The 800k gets more airtime because it is less onerous. Verifying your income often involves extra costs and dealing with your Embassy or Consulate.

FSA protection  for  bank deposits in the UK.  is 85,000 STG per institution.  That kind of protection is impossible in Thailand for larger deposits spilt between UK banks and  protected investment houses.. 

2 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Some off topic, baiting and bickering posts have been removed. Time to get back on topic and end the bickering.

And now comments about moderation and another off topic post. A repeat will result in formal warning.

1 hour ago, Pilotman said:

FSA protection  for  bank deposits in the UK.  is 85,000 STG per institution.  That kind of protection is impossible in Thailand for larger deposits spilt between UK banks and  protected investment houses.. 

Deposit protection in Thailand used to be 25,000,000 baht which covered the 800,000 baht required for a retirement extension and then some. Mind you that ended a year ago, , 10th August 2016 to be exact.

Thereafter, protection will be in place for 15 million baht in deposits between Aug 11, 2016 and Aug 10, 2018; for 10 million between Aug 11, 2018 and Aug 10, 2019; for 5 million between Aug 11, 2019 and Aug 10, 2020; and for 1 million by Aug 11, 2020.

Edited by jacko45k

27 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Deposit protection in Thailand used to be 25,000,000 baht which covered the 800,000 baht required for a retirement extension and then some. Mind you that ended a year ago, , 10th August 2016 to be exact.

Thereafter, protection will be in place for 15 million baht in deposits between Aug 11, 2016 and Aug 10, 2018; for 10 million between Aug 11, 2018 and Aug 10, 2019; for 5 million between Aug 11, 2019 and Aug 10, 2020; and for 1 million by Aug 11, 2020.

iTS  a matter of trust for me.  I would rather have my deposits protected in the 5th largest economy in the World and with western banking  oversight, flimsy though they appeared to be in 2008..