Yellow book runaround - I've given up !

How unusual yellow book always brings up carry passport or not as well. All i can say is if im going to immigration or border area (any border area regardless of wether im leaving thailand or not). I carry my passport.

Everywhere else passport is left in safe at home. I do have photo copies of relevent pages in car with insurance. I also have pictures of same and yellow book on my phone.

Having said that not once ever apart from Immigration officers border or local office where passport is obviously needed and of course DTO and even then photocopies were fine never showed origional passport, have i ever been asked to produce passport or indeed show copies That includes all internal flights and hotels all over Thailand my Thai ID card has always been accepted.

On 8/1/2017 at 3:44 PM, Preacher said:

The requirements are listed in the regulations regarding the yellow book. They can ask for extra documents, but on request must state the extra required documents and the reason they want them in writing and signed by the chief district officer, the neigh amphur. The document can be challenged in court. They really do not have much more power than you allow them.

Often they ask for extra documents because they can't read English and are afraid to translate things themselves. So they want docuemtns so they cna blame somebody else for mistakes. Provide them with some translations you have and they will not go so far as having to issue a letter and possibly being challenged on that, by the chief district officer itself in the first place.

Hi! Could you point me to the legal sources of this statement. I'm currently also running around in circles trying to obtain a Yellow Book sind would love to know my rights.

OP…. I appreciate your frustration… the Thai system can be overpowering at times.

I was very lucky when I applied for my yellow book, a good few years back.  Mrs MoneyBaht and I went to our local Amphor, completed the application form, submitted a copy of our Thai marriage certificate (which had my name translated into Thai on it), a copy of my passport page and a copy Mrs MoneyBaht’s Blue book.

We were informed that it would take about a week and they would call us when it was ready.  True to their word, in less than a week we were back at the office, paid a small fee and I was presented with the yellow book.  As a bonus the officer took us to the ID card section and a few minutes later I also had a pink ID card.

That said, a friend of ours who lives in another province experienced similar problems to you when he applied.  Mrs MoneyBaht and I accompanied him and his wife to their local Amphor and we were met with a stonewall of negatives and demands for various additional documents which also had to be translated into Thai and certified by MFA Consular Section. 

I could see that my friend was about to blow his top, which would have been the worst thing he could have done (loss of face etc).  So at that point I asked the officer to put in writing the reason for refusing the application based upon the documents supplied and requested that it be signed by the principle officer…. This is a process which all Government offices must comply with when refusing a service.

I thought that may shake them into action, but I was wrong.  About 30 minutes later the officer appeared with a typed letter stating the reasons for refusing the issue of a yellow book on the basis of the documents provided and listing the requirements for additional documents to support the application.  The letter was signed by the principal officer.

Within an hour of receiving that letter, a copy was faxed to the Ombudsman.  A member of the Ombudsman’s staff contacted my friend by phone shortly afterwards and said that they would contact the Amphor the next morning.

About 10am the following day my friend received a phone call from the principle officer at the Amphor who very politely requested that my friend return to the office to collect his yellow book.  Upon returning to the Amphor office my friend and his wife were shown to the principal’s office.  Apparently there were a few weak apologies for the inconvenience caused and lot of smiles.  They also had some photos taken of the yellow book being handed over (possibly to show the Ombudsman that they had complied with his instruction).

To be honest, I was a little concerned that there may be some repercussions at a later stage when the ‘smoke’ died down… Thankfully I was wrong.

Keep at it,… be polite and if need be ask them to put their reasons for refusing in writing.... What's that old saying about don't let the B+++++s grind you down.

Good luck

• Like 2

OP…. I appreciate your frustration… the Thai system can be overpowering at times.

I was very lucky when I applied for my yellow book, a good few years back.  Mrs MoneyBaht and I went to our local Amphor, completed the application form, submitted a copy of our Thai marriage certificate (which had my name translated into Thai on it), a copy of my passport page and a copy Mrs MoneyBaht’s Blue book.

We were informed that it would take about a week and they would call us when it was ready.  True to their word, in less than a week we were back at the office, paid a small fee and I was presented with the yellow book.  As a bonus the officer took us to the ID card section and a few minutes later I also had a pink ID card.

That said, a friend of ours who lives in another province experienced similar problems to you when he applied.  Mrs MoneyBaht and I accompanied him and his wife to their local Amphor and we were met with a stonewall of negatives and demands for various additional documents which also had to be translated into Thai and certified by MFA Consular Section. 

I could see that my friend was about to blow his top, which would have been the worst thing he could have done (loss of face etc).  So at that point I asked the officer to put in writing the reason for refusing the application based upon the documents supplied and requested that it be signed by the principle officer…. This is a process which all Government offices must comply with when refusing a service.

I thought that may shake them into action, but I was wrong.  About 30 minutes later the officer appeared with a typed letter stating the reasons for refusing the issue of a yellow book on the basis of the documents provided and listing the requirements for additional documents to support the application.  The letter was signed by the principal officer.

Within an hour of receiving that letter, a copy was faxed to the Ombudsman.  A member of the Ombudsman’s staff contacted my friend by phone shortly afterwards and said that they would contact the Amphor the next morning.

About 10am the following day my friend received a phone call from the principle officer at the Amphor who very politely requested that my friend return to the office to collect his yellow book.  Upon returning to the Amphor office my friend and his wife were shown to the principal’s office.  Apparently there were a few weak apologies for the inconvenience caused and lot of smiles.  They also had some photos taken of the yellow book being handed over (possibly to show the Ombudsman that they had complied with his instruction).

To be honest, I was a little concerned that there may be some repercussions at a later stage when the ‘smoke’ died down… Thankfully I was wrong.

Keep at it,… be polite and if need be ask them to put their reasons for refusing in writing.... What's that old saying about don't let the B+++++s grind you down.

Good luck

Thanks for that !! I still have a little faith that justice will prevail . I will know tomorrow whether I have a chance or not.

Surely it should be Mrs Moneysatang ?? [emoji51]

4 hours ago, Tanoshi said:

The Tabien Baan and ID cards issued to Thais are proof of their registered address and ID and enables them to carry out administrative processes within their Provinces.

The Tabien Baans and ID card issued to foreigners can be used in the same way as Thais do for administrate purposes.

That was whole idea of section 38 of the Civil Registration Act, to enable foreigners to have the same documents and follow the same procedures.

How, if or when you choose to use the system made available to you is entirely up to you.

Carry on with the passports as proof of ID and residency certificates as proof of address if you wish.

I have my yellow TB and pink-ID card, and without much trouble as they were requested to put their extra requirements in writing.

But that doesn't change the fact that the yellow TB is my proof of  address, the pink-ID card proof of ID and i still need my passport to proof I have a right to stay in Thailand. Now, in most cases there is no need to proof my right to stay, the bank is happy with my pink-ID card. But it is no use showing up at the labour office for a work permit with out my passport, pink-ID card (and thus yellow TB) or not.

Edited by Preacher
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Rastaputin said:

Hi! Could you point me to the legal sources of this statement. I'm currently also running around in circles trying to obtain a Yellow Book sind would love to know my rights.

Can't help you, there was a thread giving a link to the requirements for a pink-ID card and I believe the civil service manual is online at the DOPA website ww.dopa.go.th (The department of Provincial Administration) which would list it.

But otherwise contact dopa for the requirements. Best if a Thai speaker handles it for you.

2 minutes ago, Preacher said:

I have my yellow TB and pink-ID card, and without much trouble as they were requested to put their extra requirements in writing.

But that doesn't change the fact that the yellow TB is my proof of  address, the pink-ID card proof of ID and i still need my passport to proof I have a right to stay in Thailand. Now, in most cases there is no need to proof my right to stay, the bank is happy with my pink-ID card. But it is no use showing up at the labour office for a work permit with out my passport, pink-ID card (and thus yellow TB or not).

Well of course not that comon sense. Labour office obviously will want to see NON O or NON B.  

If however immigration got there act together and as they should if you have a yellow book and ID card link your foriegners citizen number to your passport on  there data base it would then be easily tracked as to your visa status. But pink pigs will fly before it happens.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, inThailand said:

What is this infatuation with a yellow book? To save 200B at some immigration offices for a residence certificate?

It's as valuable as yellow snow!

As it cost more than 200bht for me to get a COR. And cost me  a big fat nothing for yellow book. Easy decision to make

Edited by jeab1980
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, jeab1980 said:

As it cost more than 200bht for me to get a COR. And cost me  a big fat nothing for yellow book. Easy decision to make

Sorry you lost 4 big Leos by not having a yellow book. Get a life!

34 minutes ago, inThailand said:

What is this infatuation with a yellow book? To save 200B at some immigration offices for a residence certificate?

It's as valuable as yellow snow!

Just some of the things I do using my TB and ID card.

Renew my Thai Driving Licence.

Purchase a vehicle.

Renew Road tax.

Renew vehicle Insurance.

Tax registration and annual returns

Book and travel on internal flights.

Opening new bank accounts.

• Like 1

"Just some of the things I do using my TB and ID card."

And the following can be done just as easy without either a yellow book or a Thai Id card...

---Just need old drivers license.

Purchase a vehicle.

---Passport and tabien baan.

Renew Road tax.

---Just need cash and title book.

Renew vehicle Insurance.

---Money only.

---Tax Id number and passport. 

---Passport or Thai DL.

----Only passport needed.

Edited by inThailand
fat fingers

Well, going to the Provincial Tesaban didn't work but it did give me some more info.
The provincial tesaban is only for residents of the city, as I'm on the outskirts I have to go to my district ( Amphur ), and I indeed do need to show my Decree Nisi as the fella explained by showing me some other poor farangs file with translated copies of passport, birth certificate and decree nisi.

So, I'll arrange for my Decree to be posted to me and then, via a phone call, find out if a translation is good enough or if they require the Embassy, translation, MFA certification version .
If the former, I'll be happy to oblige, if the latter, then I'll probably spit my dummy out, have a little tantrum and think about it [emoji51]

36 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Well, going to the Provincial Tesaban didn't work but it did give me some more info.
The provincial tesaban is only for residents of the city, as I'm on the outskirts I have to go to my district ( Amphur ), and I indeed do need to show my Decree Nisi as the fella explained by showing me some other poor farangs file with translated copies of passport, birth certificate and decree nisi.

So, I'll arrange for my Decree to be posted to me and then, via a phone call, find out if a translation is good enough or if they require the Embassy, translation, MFA certification version .
If the former, I'll be happy to oblige, if the latter, then I'll probably spit my dummy out, have a little tantrum and think about it emoji51.png

The references I find to "Decree Nisi" are usually relating to divorce, before the divorce is finalized. 
In the case of other singles, would an "affirmation of freedom to marry" have the same function with regards to a Yellow Book application?  Granted, that still requires an embassy-visit (and fee), plus translation plus MFA-certification - just curious if this is what they are after - proof of single/married status. 

Edited by JackThompson

6 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

If the former, I'll be happy to oblige, if the latter, then I'll probably spit my dummy out, have a little tantrum and think about it emoji51.png

Oh B++++r... Sorry to hear that you had an aborted trip today.

I'm not sure why they would want a copy of your Decree Nisi as it has no particular bearing on you being registered at an address.

May I suggest that before getting the Decree sent to you, you contact the District Office and confirm with them what documents they actually require.... You would be rightly Pd Off if you get the Decree sent, then possibly translated and authenticated etc., to find that the local office don't require it.

Good luck.

The references I find to "Decree Nisi" are usually relating to divorce, before the divorce is finalized. 
In the case of other singles, would an "affirmation of freedom to marry" have the same function with regards to a Yellow Book application?  Granted, that still requires an embassy-visit (and fee), plus translation plus MFA-certification - just curious if this is what they are after - proof of single/married status. 

Yep, seems like they have decided it is related to residence !!

It took me by surprise and if I'd have known I would have asked the gf to tell them I never married, how would they get proof of that??

Anyway as the French say "c'est la vie " or in my case " c'est la merde " !!
  • Like 1

Oh B++++r... Sorry to hear that you had an aborted trip today.
I'm not sure why they would want a copy of your Decree Nisi as it has no particular bearing on you being registered at an address.
May I suggest that before getting the Decree sent to you, you contact the District Office and confirm with them what documents they actually require.... You would be rightly Pd Off if you get the Decree sent, then possibly translated and authenticated etc., to find that the local office don't require it.
Good luck.

Yes, am gonna get my Decree sent over anyway, to be honest I forgot it last time I was there as my dad stashed it somewhere and it wasn't with my other docs.

I'll get the gf to give them a call re documents before I set foot in the place !!

It took me all of 2 days to secure my yellow book.  I changed address and the procedure was just as easy, acouple of days.

You were one of the lucky ones or should I say chosen ones [emoji51]

The stories about obtaining the yellow book are numerous as are the different procedures for obtaining said document.

I, unfortunately, am sh1t out of luck in that department and feel that I probably have more chance of winning the lottery ( or being able to do a 90 day report online ) than obtaining one [emoji20]

6 hours ago, inThailand said:

Andrew 

Don't waste your time or money on a yellow book. It has no real value. Spend your time on more important issues.

Are you serious ? No Value ? Suggest you read the numerous threads by using the search function top right

1 minute ago, Sparkles said:

Are you serious ? No Value ? Suggest you read the numerous threads by using the search function top right

You mean like this thread? A passport and yellow book doesn't allow you to do anything more than a passport and tabien blue book.

"Just some of the things I do using my TB and ID card."

And the following can be done just as easy without either a yellow book or a Thai Id card...

---Just need old drivers license.

Purchase a vehicle.

---Passport and tabien baan.

Renew Road tax.

---Just need cash and title book.

Renew vehicle Insurance.

---Money only.

---Tax Id number and passport. 

---Passport or Thai DL.

----Only passport needed.

Not just foreigners who get the run around in the bureaucratic treadmill here. Last week went with 2 Thais to land office in Lam Lu ka they just wanted to transfer a house from one name to another. This took two full days of waiting, over an hour initially at a desk being processed, calls to three other offices for signatures and papers. Went to one large office did not see another customer there yet scores of officers in uniforms, just wanted a signature- sorry he's gone to eat- that was at 11.30. Three different visits to the land office ending with going back with three bits of paper signed elsewhere on the last day. At the close of day one we had to wait about for them to announce the transfer to see if there were any objections from anybody. At least it keeps a lot of paper shufflers in a job! I will not be bothering with their silly yellow book, not really needed thank goodness.

Edited by Orton Rd