Yellow book runaround - I've given up !

Hi there if your completley sure what this guy said to your G/F about drugs ect. I would take G/F back to your Amphoe and ask to see the head honcho top man/woman, and register a complaint against him. Some will say that would be counter productive i think not. As the chances are he will never give you one anyway. Registering a complaint will at least make them look at him. There would be no way in hell if an official said that about me to my wife i would let it lie no way.

• Like 2

I haven't read all this thread so my contribution might already have been mentioned.

When the intransigence of Amphurs re. Yellow Books has been raised before, others have recommended contacting the Ombudsman's Office which will, apparently, lay down the law to the Amphur and get your YB pretty quickly.

I didn't need their services for my own YB.

http://www.ombudsman.go.th/10/eng/index1.asp --- look on the 'Complaints' tab.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, melvinmelvin said:

has anyone tried for a yellow book in BANG BUA THONG, Nonthaburi?

Bang Bua Thong although one of 8 districts in Nonthaburi, is regarded as town status (Thesaban Mueang), which should mean that's the Provincial office rather than a District office, so you should get correct information on their procedure.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Edited by Tanoshi

21 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

The thing that riles is that dealing with Amphur's (or Immigration) is pot luck, if the rules were there in black and white and, more importantly, the offices adhered to them then making the decision to go for the yellow book would be simple.

If only it was limited to Amphurs and Immigration. Thailand is rotten to the core with this mindless crap. 

1 hour ago, Tanoshi said:

There don't exist according to MrPatrickThai, although he originally provided the link.

I provided no link as there isn't one.

There also are recommended convenient translators. 

Looks like I'm wasting my time here. If you want to waste money and like a pretty stamp, go ahead and use one of the shops near the embassies.

If not, download the form and do it yourself.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, gandalf12 said:

You give in far too easy. A friend of mine kept trying to get one and his Thai wife continued pushing. Eventually he was issued with one but it took 3 years after refusal many times

But if it was then going to end up in some drawer gathering dust through non-use (as has been mentioned), what would be the point?

11 minutes ago, OJAS said:

But if it was then going to end up in some drawer gathering dust through non-use (as has been mentioned), what would be the point?

That depends on how you use the book and ID card.

The Thai government has allowed foreigners to obtain House registration books and foreigners Thai ID cards similar to Thais as part of integration into using the administration systems the way Thais do. If you can't figure that out, it's not their problem.

21 minutes ago, OJAS said:

That is a different issue of course the point is if you want one keep on asking for it

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

The Thai government has allowed foreigners to obtain House registration books and foreigners Thai ID cards similar to Thais as part of integration into using the administration systems the way Thais do. If you can't figure that out, it's not their problem.

7 minutes ago, gandalf12 said:

That is a different issue of course the point is if you want one keep on asking for it

That's why I think that it's important that those faced with runarounds by their amphur in particular need to consider very carefully whether they really have any specific need for a yellow book (as distinct from vaguely thinking that having one might be a good idea) before embarking on the application process. 

Just now, OJAS said:

That's why I think that it's important that those faced with runarounds by their amphur in particular need to consider very carefully whether they really have any specific need for a yellow book (as distinct from vaguely thinking that having one might be a good idea) before embarking on the application process. 

Agreed

7 minutes ago, OJAS said:

agreed, i have this yellow and the attending ID card but they are not essential; passports do all that they do and the types of activities you would use them for are very few and far between; if people there just Will Not Do It, then dont beat your head against the wall

• Like 1

Hi there if your completley sure what this guy said to your G/F about drugs ect. I would take G/F back to your Amphoe and ask to see the head honcho top man/woman, and register a complaint against him. Some will say that would be counter productive i think not. As the chances are he will never give you one anyway. Registering a complaint will at least make them look at him. There would be no way in hell if an official said that about me to my wife i would let it lie no way.

I'm pretty sure that this was the head man, we had dealt with a woman until she disappeared and he arrived just to give the " interview ", from all the bowing and scraping that went on when he walked through the office I can only assume that he was the head honcho .

Anyway, it's all muddy water under the rusty old bridge now !

Went back today to get my documents, the lady apologised and said that there was more than one person involved in issuing the yellow house book and her boss would not sign.

Went to Provincial Tesaban , guy had gone out, have an appointment tomorrow 9.00 am. ?

3 minutes ago, YetAnother said:

agreed, i have this yellow and the attending ID card but they are not essential; passports do all that they do and the types of activities you would use them for are very few and far between; if people there just Will Not Do It, then dont beat your head against the wall

Agree they are not essential, but can be very useful.

They replace the need to carry your passport and obtain certificates of residence.

It just gives you the opportunity to do things the way Thais do.

There will always be a debate as to the pro's and cons of the Yellow book. Individual choice is what in the end it boils down to. Some use it some say it sits gathering dust.

Howevervthis topic is about a guy who wants one but some strange official seems for some reason to have taken against him.Personaly i would do as already said and report him and continue the fight

Just now, Tanoshi said:

You can't obtain a TB and ID card without confirming your legal permission to stay in Thailand.

Are you trying to claim that this TB and ID card confirms a person is staying in country legally no matter long ago they were issued?

You will have to review your inaccurate statement !

Just now, Tanoshi said:

You can't obtain a TB and ID card without confirming your legal permission to stay in Thailand.

But that permission can go away.

I can assure that if an authority wanted to see your passport you would have to have it brought to you to present it. Not easy if you were a long way from where if was.

3 minutes ago, Here2008 said:

Are you trying to claim that this TB and ID card confirms a person is staying in country legally no matter long ago they were issued?

You will have to review your inaccurate statement !

No, I never stated that.

I stated your legality had to proved before obtaining a TB.

Your legal status can only be confirmed by Immigration.

For many administrative procedures at government establishments, the TB and ID card negates the need for a passport.

Your supposed to return the TB if your leaving Thailand for good.

7 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

But that permission can go away.

I can assure that if an authority wanted to see your passport you would have to have it brought to you to present it. Not easy if you were a long way from where if was.

The legality of your permission to stay in Thailand is a matter for the Police of which Immigration are a division of.

I never stated the TB gave you the right to legally remain in Thailand.

It negates the requirement to produce a passport at government offices (Immigration exempted) to carry out administrative formalities.

1 minute ago, Tanoshi said:

It negates the requirement to produce a passport at government offices (Immigration exempted) to carry out administrative formalities

You forgot to say "Maybe and sometimes in a few places" ! :smile: 

And if you bothered to read the post before that, I was talking in terms of administration, not any legality.

1 hour ago, Tanoshi said:

Just now, Tanoshi said:

The legality of your permission to stay in Thailand is a matter for the Police of which Immigration are a division of.

I never stated the TB gave you the right to legally remain in Thailand.

It negates the requirement to produce a passport at government offices (Immigration exempted) to carry out administrative formalities.

The TB is not proof of ID, it doesn't even have your photo in it, it is only proof of address. The pink-ID card is an ID, but not proof of permission to stay.

8 minutes ago, Preacher said:

The TB is not proof of ID, it doesn't even have your photo in it, it is only proof of address. The pink-ID card is an ID, but not proof of permission to stay.

The Tabien Baan and ID cards issued to Thais are proof of their registered address and ID and enables them to carry out administrative processes within their Provinces.

The Tabien Baans and ID card issued to foreigners can be used in the same way as Thais do for administrate purposes.

That was whole idea of section 38 of the Civil Registration Act, to enable foreigners to have the same documents and follow the same procedures.

How, if or when you choose to use the system made available to you is entirely up to you.

Carry on with the passports as proof of ID and residency certificates as proof of address if you wish.

Edited by Tanoshi

I got mine a couple of months ago, but it was quite a tiresome process, blighted by moving goalposts, ignorance of the laws and regulations and an administrator deciding to sit on my application because she "had things to do for Thai people first". The latter was quickly resolved by Mrs BM, who told her in no uncertain terms "but I am a Thai"!

Despite having a kor ror 22, my wife was asked for lots of details about how we met and about our relationship, which seemed a bit odd as we've been married for nearly five years, with our marriage certificate having already been certified / legalised by the UK FCO, the Thai embassy in London, the MFA and Khet Lak Si (which is where we got our KR22, as our local amphur couldn't manage it).

Stick at it and practice smiling through their antics would be my advice.