Yellow book runaround - I've given up !

10 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Have recently bought a house and decided I wanted a yellow book and possibly the pink id to follow. Gf has blue book for house.

NOTE: I know the ongoing discussions about whether a yellow book is worth the effort or not but I chose pursue one anyway.

My Amphur ( Bang Pa -in, Ayutthaya ) requested a certified translation of my passport and birth certificate.

I obliged with a visit to British Embassy for copy of passport and then to MFA for translation and certification ( just translation for birth certificate was okay )

Back to Amphur, head man there gave us ( me and gf ) a grilling about living with farangs and hinted that all farangs use drugs regularly ( I only found this out when gf related after ).

Basically told us to call back in 2 weeks, called back yesterday, now he wants to see my Decree Nisi, problem being it's in England and is in Portuguese ( Brazilian ) !!

So, I've given up !!

Is he being unreasonable ?

Am I giving up too easily ?

Problem is the cost of translation and certification etc will be high and I feel that he may just invent another hurdle afterwards .

Anybody had similar?

Any suggestions ?

Back to Amphur, head man there gave us ( me and gf ) a grilling about living with farangs and hinted that all farangs use drugs regularly

Are you sure, if so my god that says a lot about the place today, I am shocked and flabbergasted

Back to Amphur, head man there gave us ( me and gf ) a grilling about living with farangs and hinted that all farangs use drugs regularly

Are you sure, if so my god that says a lot about the place today, I am shocked and flabbergasted

According to my gf, and she has no reason to make it up.
Just a guy abusing his position of power !!

11 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Have recently bought a house and decided I wanted a yellow book .....

Why? The yellow book is the most pointless document ever invented.

I have one. I've lived here for years.

Have I ever used it for anything at all? No. Have I ever been asked for it? No. Will I ever use it for anything at all? No.

The yellow book is as useful to me as a certificate of not having 11 fingers.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Here2008 said:

She does not seem to be "Registered" with the US embassy who do not appear to endorse or recommend any particular translator.

https://th.usembassy.gov/wp-content/uploads/sites/90/2016/07/translation-service-providers-bangkok.pdf

Of course she isn't, it's a business ploy having a stamp and 'business' number. Still. it makes some customers feel happy to get a stamp.

When i got married at the amphur,they said come back in 5 years if your still here and we will issue it.

5 years on the day i went back and it still took about 3 weeks to sort out with a small donation to their social club for doing the translations in the office.

They were reluctant as he showed me the ledger book with all the farang names in it and nearly all had either separated or left for good so they consider it a waste of time. 

Hang in there.

Edited by farmerjo

8 hours ago, Tanoshi said:

This lady is registered and has a licence number.

This was a Tabien Baan she translated to English for a UK Visa application.

She is registered with all foreign Embassies and Thailand Government departments.

Translation TB 1. Edited..jpg

What a pretty stamp! She must be good. 

What is the license number for - ripping of farang?

FYI, I have done this myself - get the official thing here  - https://view.officeapps.live.com/op/view.aspx?src=http://www.consular.go.th/main/contents/images/text_editor/files/ทะเบียนบ้าน ทร_14(2).doc

Sometimes you have to go to the consular of foreign affairs and pay 200 baht for them to verify it.

For more details about translation see the following:-

http://www.consular.go.th/main/th/services/1303/37224-ระเบียบว่าด้วยการรับรองเอกสาร.html

11 minutes ago, MrPatrickThai said:

What a pretty stamp! She must be good. 

What is the license number for - ripping of farang?

FYI, I have done this myself - get the official thing here  - https://view.officeapps.live.com/op/view.aspx?src=http://www.consular.go.th/main/contents/images/text_editor/files/ทะเบียนบ้าน ทร_14(2).doc

Sometimes you have to go to the consular of foreign affairs and pay 200 baht for them to verify it.

For more details about translation see the following:-

http://www.consular.go.th/main/th/services/1303/37224-ระเบียบว่าด้วยการรับรองเอกสาร.html

Nice try.

Your link is for legalisation services, and if you read it, you need 'approved' translations.

If Thailand had no 'approved' or 'certified' translators, it would leave the MFA in a bit of a pickle.

Anyway, your the man, carry on.

18 hours ago, colinneil said:

Problem is most Amphur staff are ignorant of the law.

All this nonsense about translations is made up locally.

Every Amphur makes up their own rules, because they dont know the law or are just to lazy to find out.

Losing face cannot happen here, so they just make up rules to cover their own failings.

I got my yellow book simply by walking in the Amphur, produced passport, gave my parents names, job done out in 30 minutes, do not cost 1 baht.

Same  here, but I can fully understand people being given the run about as  someone doesn't know the rules.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

Nice try.

Your link is for legalisation services, and if you read it, you need 'approved' translations.

If Thailand had no 'approved' or 'certified' translators, it would leave the MFA in a bit of a pickle.

Anyway, your the man, carry on.

What are you talking about, nice try? II obviously  know what my link is and of course I read it.

EVEN the translators with a pretty stamp need to go to the MFA to get verified and I assure you many make mistakes.

One more time -  Thailand has NO CERTIFIED translators!

You are saying that this translator is "certified", I'm saying you're being fooled as there is no such thing.

For something to be legal, I gave you the link, yet you still try to wriggle your way out of being wrong.

http://www.consular.go.th/main/th/services/1303/19821-ค่าธรรมเนียมการรับรองเอกสาร.html

9 hours ago, Tanoshi said:

This lady is registered and has a licence number.

This was a Tabien Baan she translated to English for a UK Visa application.

She is registered with all foreign Embassies and Thailand Government departments.

Translation TB 1. Edited..jpg

Out of curiosity, how much did she charge you for this 5 minute job and did you need to take it to the MFA?

6 minutes ago, MrPatrickThai said:

What are you talking about, nice try? II obviously  know what my link is and of course I read it.

EVEN the translators with a pretty stamp need to go to the MFA to get verified and I assure you many make mistakes.

One more time -  Thailand has NO CERTIFIED translators!

You are saying that this translator is "certified", I'm saying you're being fooled as there is no such thing.

For something to be legal, I gave you the link, yet you still try to wriggle your way out of being wrong.

http://www.consular.go.th/main/th/services/1303/19821-ค่าธรรมเนียมการรับรองเอกสาร.html

Yes for something to be legal it has to be 'certified', but in many cases the document has to be translated first.

The 200 baht fee is for the notarisation of a translated document, and they don't accept translations from any Joe Bloggs.

7 minutes ago, MrPatrickThai said:

Out of curiosity, how much did she charge you for this 5 minute job and did you need to take it to the MFA?

Not my TB, so I didn't pay anything.

Didn't need legalising at the MFA, just a certified translation required by an approved translator as part of a Visa application.

47 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

Not my TB, so I didn't pay anything.

Didn't need legalising at the MFA, just a certified translation required by an approved translator as part of a Visa application.

What do you mean by "certified translator". I've made it quite clear that there isn't a certifying body in Thailand for translators.

Just now, ubonjoe said:

Thanks but I had already seen that list which states ".This is
only a representative selection of such firms reasonably convenient to the Embassy, and does not
constitute an endorsement or recommendation of any particular firm."

I was asking because member 'Tanoshi " was insisting that there were "certified" translators registered with the embassies. If what Tanoshi  says is true it would be advisable to ensure the use of such a translator.

22 hours ago, Monomial said:

You are being unreasonable and giving up way too early. Either you want the book or you don't.

Took me 2 months and I spent almost 40,000 baht including a flight jumping through hoops before I finally got my yellow book. Some of these guys love to feel like they are in power.

You can either quit, or keep giving them what they want. And yes, I asked about shortcuts...none were available (I had a well connected Thai acquaintance make the attempt) and there was no facilitation fee was paid when the book was finally issued. Many just don't feel farangs deserve this document, no matter what the law says. If you are in a district like that, you either move to a new district or just struggle through it.

You need to get the decree translated from Portuguese into English, stamped by the Brazillian Embassy, and then get the English translated into Thai and get that certified at the MFA.

It's up to you whether to continue, but no point in complaining about it.

40,000 bt and a lot of trouble for a worthless document. I have been on a retirement visa for the last 20 years and I can't think of a single time it would have been of any use. It is only a proof of residence and nothing else.  There are many simple ways to do this. I have many expat friends, many whom own condos and properties. None have the yellow book or would possibly want one.

9 minutes ago, Here2008 said:

Where can the list  of  "certified" registered interpreters approved by the US embassy be found?  

There don't exist according to MrPatrickThai, although he originally provided the link.

Well, ( he says trying to get back on topic ) am going back to the Amphur to retrieve my documents and will give one final try at the Provincial Office ( as suggested by Tanoshi ).

If this fails then I'm done, I'm not going to lay down more cash for what seems like a semi useful/useless document !!

If later today you read " Farang arrested for punching Amphur officer ", then that would be me !! [emoji20]

• Like 2

22 hours ago, colinneil said:

Problem is most Amphur staff are ignorant of the law.

All this nonsense about translations is made up locally.

Every Amphur makes up their own rules, because they dont know the law or are just to lazy to find out.

Losing face cannot happen here, so they just make up rules to cover their own failings.

I got my yellow book simply by walking in the Amphur, produced passport, gave my parents names, job done out in 30 minutes, do not cost 1 baht.

agree 99%; i tried once in a diff province years ago and they just made up all kinds of crap which amounted to 'i dont want to do it'; ; moving, my new amphoe knows what they are doing, isnt ripping anyone off; got mine now but took 4 visits and 7 weeks; only 60 baht; sounds hit and miss;likely can do it if you are persistent and really want it

1 minute ago, Here2008 said:

Thanks but I had already seen that list which states ".This is
only a representative selection of such firms reasonably convenient to the Embassy, and does not
constitute an endorsement or recommendation of any particular firm."

I was asking because member 'Tanoshi " was insisting that there were "certified" translators registered with the embassies. If what Tanoshi  says is true it would be advisable to ensure the use of such a translator.

'certified' is actually the wrong term.

There are recognised 'approved' translators, who 'certify' it is a true translation. (Taken from original document)

Some are registered as a business, some not.

Most Legal firms, Embassies and the MFA as such who deal with 'legalisation' and 'translated' documents will be able to provide a list of 'approved' translators, unless you know of a local one.

19 minutes ago, Here2008 said:

As far as I know no embassy or consulate has a list of translators that have to be used.

They only expect to see a stamp on the translation done by the translator. If you go in with a sheet of paper with the translation on it  without a stamp they would likely reject it.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Well, ( he says trying to get back on topic ) am going back to the Amphur to retrieve my documents and will give one final try at the Provincial Office ( as suggested by Tanoshi ).

If this fails then I'm done, I'm not going to lay down more cash for what seems like a semi useful/useless document !!

If later today you read " Farang arrested for punching Amphur officer ", then that would be me !! emoji20.png

Please do let me know how you get on at the Provincial Thesaban.

Don't get arrested for kissing him if all goes well  :smile: