Import tax on a new computer/tablet shipped from overseas?

wpcoe

From Google searches, it seems people buying computers overseas and having them shipped to Thailand are either being charged:

(a) 40% + 7% VAT, or

(b) 1% + 7% VAT, or

(c) simply 7% VAT

The best "official" site I can find is http://igtf.customs.go.th/igtf/en/main_frame.jsp.  If you click on "Search for Import Tariff" and enter 8471, and then choose 8471.30.20 (for "Laptops including notebooks and subnotebooks") it displays a "Statutory Rate" of 40%.  What does "Statutory Rate" mean?

Has anybody bought a notebook or tablet online recently -- e.g. this year -- and had it shipped from overseas?  If so, how were you taxed?

The computer I'm considering is US$1300.55 including shipping.  They add on an "Import Fee Deposit" of $99.15, which is slightly more than 7% VAT would be, but I realize that's not a maximum limit and if higher tariff applies, I would be responsible for paying the extra.

Edited by wpcoe

If you go a little further down the trail on the customs site you'll find the General Rate is 'exempted', so you should be charged only VAT on the CIF value, which ties up with the "Import Fee Deposit".

What means are they using to ship your goods?

For a $1,300 lappie isn't the same unit available here? It will have a warranty which one shipped may not.

Thanks.  I had wondered if there were a better, more appropriate page on the Thai Customs web site, but that's the closest I could find.

The seller is Amazon. This would be my first time using them, so not sure exactly how they work.  They don't list a particular shipping company, just "AmazonGlobal" Expedited or Priority shipping.  Rates seem reasonable:  $26.73 for 5-10 business days, $39.55 for 2-5 business days.

Including shipping + customs it will be US$1400. The same item will be released in Thailand on 15-August for B49,900 (US$1500 at today's exchange rate), so US$100 cheaper.

I'm on the fence about which way to go.  I started this thread to make sure the Amazon price was realistic with their custom's fee deposit.

It's a Microsoft Surface Pro.  I just did a "Live Chat" on microsoft.com  about the warranty:

Microsoft Live Chat:

In this situation, When the device is purchase to USA, The device manufacturer warranty will be covered in any country if the device is also launch in that the country. For example I live in Thailand and purchase a device in USA like Surface Pro 4 that is also launch in Thailand, the warranty will be covered still. But if the device is purchased is USA but I live in Thailand the device is not launch in Thailand the warranty will be not covered.

If the purchase device from USA is not launch from where you live, you can get assistance or replacement (just in case) to the nearest country that the device is launched on the same as USA.

I wonder where on the planet the Live Chat person was. His replies did not sound like native English fluency.

5 minutes ago, wpcoe said:

I wonder where on the planet the Live Chat person was. His replies did not sound like native English fluency.

My "Amazing Moderator Sense" puts him in India, probably Mumbai :smile:

Doesn't the Amazon system work like Ebay's Global Shipping Program, what you pay up front is the maximum, they should refund any overpayment (yup, sure they will)?

To be honest, and knowing the issues many have with Thai customs and the international couriers, I'd eat the hundred bucks or so you would save. If it was 500 that's another story.

• Like 1

@Crossy:  

Not sure how any part of the Amazon system works.  This would be my virgin voyage.

There are some other items I would probably buy from Amazon, too.  For sure I would by the keyboard/cover and that's about $20 cheaper in the US.  I get bonus airline miles by using Amazon.  Etc, etc, etc.  If it were just the Surface Pro, I'd probably buy here, but...

@Jeffrey346:  Thanks!  Nice to know that's the intent of their systems, but as a first-timer, I'm still skeptical and curious.   It's in my genes.  :biggrin:

[edited to add:]

I just did a dummy order to add the $128 keyboard/cover.  The shipping went up $5, but the Import Fee Deposit went up $24???  :wacko:

Edited by wpcoe

I have bought a camera from Amazon USA for delivery in Thailand.   Excelent service - can monitor in detail (plane takes off / plane lands) every stage of movement from Austin Texas by DHL through to the Swamp and then into Bangkok where it disappeared from the radar but turned up at the house in Isan a day later.

The duty was just the 7%.   However, when adding tripod, camera case, etc. duty shot up (so bought those locally).   Assessories are not regarded as "exempt" which probably explains wpcoe's keyboard/cover duty hike.   And yes, I was refunded the excess duty charged.

• Like 2

I made the mistake of attempting to have my laptop couriered from my home country for to me in Chiang Mai when my tablet packed it in. Unbelievable.
Four months later my laptop was returned to my home address and FedEx reversed all charges.
Never ship anything of value into Thailand.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

• Like 1

I've had mixed experiences with international deliveries to Thailand. One item, not overly expensive but important nonetheless, didn't turn up at all. Another item, a $150aud makeup kit turned up in great time but I was charged $52aud 'duty' which I thought was a little outrageous. I've had other small items randomly charged differing duties (similar items)

I'm unsure how they work out their exact duty costs at times.

Off Topic:

I have a mate living in Phuket running an online business and his laptop had started going haywire. On trying to order a MacBook Pro from Apple Thailand he couldn't purchase one without thai script on the keys so he contacted me in Oz to purchase and ship. Needless to say with my limited experience with post/freight and concerns with 'duty' charges I hit up my friends and managed to get another mate going on holiday to Pattaya to take in his carry on. 

I then had an issue with DHL not shipping Li-Ion batteries via air freight and EMS wouldn't do insurance 55. Luckily he was heading to CM so a quick diversion to U Tapao, my mate meeting him there, and all was good  in the world!

long story short, I felt all that organizing logistics and round-a-bout delivery was much safer and more reliable, never mind cheaper, than trusting thai post with $4Kaud electronics lol

Edited by MadMuhammad

I wouldn't hesitate to use Amazon's Global Shipping Program.  It's not at all the same thing as shipping something to yourself via FedEx, DHL, etc.  They have relationships with all the shippers and pay people to know the customs rules.

I've used them a few times in the past, never paid extra on arrival, and got refunds of the excess when their deposit was more than the actual fees.  It was much less painful than I expected.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/2/2017 at 3:58 AM, wpcoe said:

The computer I'm considering is US$1300.55 including shipping.  They add on an "Import Fee Deposit" of $99.15

Hoo boy.  The Thailand seller raised their price slightly and Amazon lowered their price slightly, so I went to order on Amazon.

The "Import Fee Deposit" went from $99.15 (on the old US$1300.55 price) to $242.92 (on the new US$1278.54 price).

What the heck???   From 7.6% to 19%?  :angry:

Previously I bought a laptop (not this year) off Amazon when they didn't ship global. I sent it to a tax free zone in the US using Shipito so there was no tax at all by Amazon and free shipping. Then I paid Shipito about 120USD to send it to Thailand next day. The extra for Thai import was 7% on my declared price (substantially lower than I paid for it of course).

* Only trouble was one time the laptop top was broken (wouldn't boot) on arrival so I was left to my own device to courier back to Shipito to have Amazon replace free of charge at my Shipito address (a number in a warehouse). Getting the Fedex paper work correct was a pain with US importation of computers radios transmitters etc. Luckily it worked out with a few days spare of Amazon 30 day returns policy and I got a free replacement. I'm still using it to send this post! Saved about 500USD on cost of equivalent laptop in Thailand at time.

2 minutes ago, WorriedNoodle said:

Q. If using Amazon Global and the product turns up from the US bricked, what are the options then?

Microsoft one-year warranty is worldwide and item can be serviced in any country that the model is sold.  

Personally, I wouldn't purchase Surface Pro in the U.S. if I lived in Thailand, unless I was prepared to deal with a DoA. I seriously doubt Microsft/THL (or their representative) would replace the item; they might try to repair it, which might take a few weeks. (Read the warranty pamphlet which will detail how you would get warranty service in Thailand; you might have to ship the item to SIngapore, Hong Kong, or even back to the U.S.A.)

I probably would buy a Surface Pro during a trip back to the U.S., from a Microsoft brick/mortar store, where I could test it out for a few days, before returning to Thailand.

The price delta would have to be significant, ~ 15%.

Admittedly I have the option of returning to the U.S. frequently and can purchase items in a tax-free state. I purchase a lot of stuff in the U.S. and bring it back; that said, price differences aren't as large as they have been historically.

7 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

Personally, I wouldn't purchase Surface Pro in the U.S. if I lived in Thailand, unless I was prepared to deal with a DoA. I seriously doubt Microsft/THL (or their representative) would replace the item; they might try to repair it, which might take a few weeks. (Read the warranty pamphlet which will detail how you would get warranty service in Thailand; you might have to ship the item to SIngapore, Hong Kong, or even back to the U.S.A.)

How would it work if I bought from IT City online (free delivery)?  If I opened the box and it were DOA, would IT City exchange it for a new one or would they subject me to the Microsoft repair process?

With the new and improved Amazon "Import Fee Deposit," it's actually cheaper to buy it here now:

• Price at IT City = B49,900
  • With the new, higher import fee, Amazon = $1521, or ~B50,560

If I get the time today, I'm going to go to the local IT City store (Pattaya Tukcom Center) to see if they can order it (assuming they don't have it in stock) and pick it up there.   Presumably I can unbox it in the store and at least make sure it boots up and if it doesn't, can persuade them to exchange it?

23 minutes ago, wpcoe said:

How would it work if I bought from IT City online (free delivery)?  If I opened the box and it were DOA, would IT City exchange it for a new one or would they subject me to the Microsoft repair process?

Obviously, that's a question for ITCity. I suspect they have some sort of short-term, exact replacement for DoAs. Probably seven (7) calendar days (includes holidays), with all packaging intact.

We have a bunch of Surface Pro's at my company and have made several warranty claims in Thailand. It could hardly be easier. You create the service request online. Shortly after that a rep from a logistics company contacts you to arrange a courier to collect the device. Then a couple of days later they courier you a replacement device. They don't state whether the device will be new or refurbished but all the replacement devices I have had have been indistinguishable from new.

Here is a copy of one of our service requests:

Service Request Number:

xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Serial Number:

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Dear XXXXX,

This is your order confirmation email. We have received your service request. You will receive an additional email from Quantium Solutions with additional shipping instructions. In order to proceed with your service request, please follow the steps in this email.

Step 1: Back up your data prior to shipping.

Step 2: Pack the product, courier to bring shipping label and ship us the item. (The courier will bring the shipping label.)

Step 3: Once received, we'll send you a replacement.

Back up your data prior to shipping

If you are not shipping your Surface device please skip to step 2.

If you are shipping your Surface device, you should back up your data prior to shipping.

Your replacement device will not retain any of your settings or data.

Data backup instructions are available online:

http://www.microsoft.com/Surface/support/warranty-service-and-recovery/how-to-get-your-surface-ready-for-service.

Pack the product and ship us the item

Obtain a sturdy shipping box. Use bubble wrap, newspaper or other materials for packing the item.

Put the item in the shipping box, making sure that it fits snugly.

Seal the box with packing tape.

The courier will pick up your box.

Courier to bring shipping label shipping label provided by Quantium Solutions.

Address to:

English:

Building E of SV Logistic Center,

1/6 Pattana Chonabod 3 Road, Klongsong ton nun, Ladkraban, Bangkok 10520

Thai: เอส.วี.โลจิสติกส์เซ็นเตอร์ 1 อาคาร E

1/6 ถนน พัฒนาชนบท 3 แขวง คลองสองต้นนุ่น เขต ลาดกระบัง กทม.10520

ติดต่อ คุณ ธวัชชัย อ่อนขำ

โทร # 662-138 9677

แฟกส์ # 662 727 5579

อีเมลล์ # [email protected]

Notes

For orders created by 1300hrs, Monday-Friday, Quantium Solutions will contact you today to arrange a suitable pickup time for your box.

For orders created after 1300hrs, Monday-Friday, Quantium Solutions will contact you next business day to arrange a suitable pickup time for your box.

For orders created on Saturday or Sunday, Quantium Solutions will contact you next business day to arrange a suitable pickup time for your box.

To schedule a different time please call Quantium Solutions.+66 27123838

Pick-ups can occur Monday to Friday, 0900-1800hrs.

Once received, we will send you a replacement

Here is what you need to know...

Once we receive your non-working item, we will ship a replacement to you within 1-2 business days.

We will send you a confirmation email when the replacement product leaves our exchange centre.

Note: This email address is not monitored

You can check your service status at any time. Here's how:

1. Go to http://www.surface.com/support.

2. In Check Service Status, enter service request number xxxxxxxxx and your postal code, and then click Check Status.

3. You can check your service status.

Thank you,

The Surface Support Team

Privacy Statement    Surface Terms of Use    Surface Code of Conduct

© 2012 Microsoft

One Microsoft Way

Redmond, WA 98052

There is no cost for a service request under warranty. OK that's the good news.

The bad news is if you need repair outside warranty. MS used to have a flat charge of THB10,000 no matter what the problem is. Now (for some unknown reason) they have increased it to THB20,000 which makes repair (actually replacement) uneconomic on all but the newer top end devices.

By far the most common problem is cracked digitizers. You can buy replacement screens from China for approx USD150 for a SP3 and approx USD120 for a SP4. It isn't too difficult to replace them yourself.

It is all but impossible to remove the screen from a SP3 or SP4 and keep it intact so that means any problem with the device means a new screen too, if you repair by yourself. With a SP1 or SP2 it is easier to remove the screen and replacements are cheaper but they aren't worth much these days. 

All I can say about this is I bought the surface pro 4 from IT-city in Pattaya about 2 years ago they do have a 7 days to do a exchange if its faulty,  After the last surface pro 4 update in July my surface pro 4 now has the same problem 100,000 or more people who own them have and that's a screen flickering that gets predominantly worse when it heats up. I have the I5 with 4 GB ram you can check on this web page from Microsoft   https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/surface/forum/surfpro4-surfdrivers/surface-pro-4-screen-flickering-shacking/570165cb-50a0-4d71-bcb1-310ddd869d1d  and they have not come up with a fix.  Now what will the new surface pro do when it gets a bad update or the heat upsets the Screen so it starts to flicker in a few months or year or passed your Guarantee well I will tell you they will give you a refurbished one that may only last you a few months again before it starts flickering again, If its over the year it will cost you $29 just to talk to them and when they can't fix your surface they will charge you over $ 450 to get a refurbished one and the problem still goes unsolved.  I wish you luck in your purchase and I do hope for all us surface pro owners that this new one does not have the same problems as us.

Regards 

Scotsman  

Surface Pro's are fairly fragile devices so anyone buying a new one might want to consider signing up for the "Microsoft Complete" extended warranty.  

It costs USD149.

It gives a full 2 year international warranty plus cover against accidental damage like dropping it, liquid damage etc. MS will replace the device twice within that 2 year period for free.

The catch is that MS won't sell it to you if you are in Thailand. But if you change the primary address of your Microsoft account to any random US address then you become eligible. After that you can change your address back to Thailand and you will be covered here.

You need to buy the extended warranty within a month (or maybe it's 2 months) of initial purchase.

• 2 weeks later...
On 08/17/2017 at 3:41 PM, wpcoe said:

Hoo boy.  The Thailand seller raised their price slightly and Amazon lowered their price slightly, so I went to order on Amazon.

The "Import Fee Deposit" went from $99.15 (on the old US$1300.55 price) to $242.92 (on the new US$1278.54 price).

Clear your cookies...I had that happen when looking at several price quotes for air fare last year...cleared my cookies and all was fine.  it may help...

• 2 months later...
On 8/17/2017 at 3:41 PM, wpcoe said:

On 9/2/2017 at 4:00 PM, Beachbunny said:

Clear your cookies...I had that happen when looking at several price quotes for air fare last year...cleared my cookies and all was fine.  it may help...

Hobz's post brought me back to this thread so I thought I'd re-check the "Import Fee Deposit" and, sure enough, it's down to $92.96 just now (on $1268 price.)  I remember clearing the cookies when Beachbunny suggested it and at that time it stayed ~$245.  Seems almost random what Amazon pre-charges for import fees.

• 1 year later...

Please be very cautious about shipping purchased goods from the US to Thailand. I just purchased clothing valued at $89 which shipped free from the clothing company via FedEx and paid $40.68 in fees on delivery, including forced insurance (1%), freight (15%, FedEx claimed it is charged by the government, not by them), customs duty (30%) and VAT (7%), a total of 46%. Fedex told me that they had already paid the fee to the government so refusing the delivery would cause a reduction of my refund credit by that amount from the clothier, as FedEx would charge them instead. 

I've read that this can be avoided by using other carriers such as local post but I don't know how you can arrange that internationally. It may also be possible to avoid the exorbitant fees by having someone in the states receive your package and then ship to you in Thailand as used personal goods.