UK sets out new powers to impose sanctions after Brexit

webfact

UK sets out new powers to impose sanctions after Brexit

tag-reuters-2.jpg

Britain's International Development Minister Alan Duncan reacts during a joint news conference with Yemen's Minister of Planning and International Cooperation Mohammed Saeed al-Saidi and UNICEF representative in Yemen Geert Cappelaere in Sanaa October 9, 2012. REUTERS/Mohamed al-Sayaghi

LONDON (Reuters) - The British government published plans on Wednesday for a bill that would give it the legal power to impose sanctions after it leaves the European Union, including making it easier to cut off terrorism funding and freeze assets.

Britain now negotiates and imposes non-UN sanctions against specific countries through EU laws. Without the new legislation, it would not have the legal authority to enforce those sanctions.

More than 30 sanctions regimes are currently in place, including against Russia, North Korea and Iran.

"This will enable us to impose sanctions as appropriate either alone or with partners in the EU and around the world, to take targeted action against countries, organisations and individuals who contravene international law, commit or finance terrorism or threaten international peace and security," Alan Duncan, the minister for Europe, said in a statement.

The new powers would see the introduction of an annual review of sanctions regimes to ensure they remained appropriate. It would also allow individuals and organisations to challenge sanctions imposed on them.

The government said its proposals would also make it easier to freeze a suspected terrorist's bank account and stop a person from making money from their assets, including by selling a house or car.

(Reporting by Kylie MacLellan)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2017-08-02

Well I can certainly see how organizing imposing your sanctions would be the first priority of any government entering into a new legal framework, other issues certainly pale into insignificance...

Edited by Rancid

3 hours ago, Rancid said:

Well I can certainly see how organizing imposing your sanctions would be the first priority of any government entering into a new legal framework, other issues certainly pale into insignificance...

3 hours ago, Rancid said:

With a Population of only about 55 million after Scotland and Ireland leave, sanctions imposed by the UK will be meaningless and ignored

Edited by gamini

1 hour ago, gamini said:

With a Population of only about 55 million after Scotland and Ireland leave, sanctions imposed by the UK will be meaningless and ignored

I am not so sure that Scotland and Northern Ireland will leave the UK.

Before the last election, Nicola Sturgeon was so confident that Scotland will make it on its own without the rest of the UK. Since the last election where the SNP lost many of its seats to the Tories and New Old Labour she seems to be very quiet about leaving.

As for NI I really have no idea what they will do.