U.S. bans travel to North Korea from Sept. 1, says Americans should leave

webfact

U.S. bans travel to North Korea from Sept. 1, says Americans should leave

By Yeganeh Torbati

tag-reuters-1.jpg

FILE PHOTO: The North Korea flag flutters next to concertina wire at the North Korean embassy in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia March 9, 2017. REUTERS/Edgar Su

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - A ban on travel by U.S. passport holders to North Korea will take effect on Sept. 1 and Americans in the country should leave before that date, the U.S. State Department said on Wednesday.

Journalists and humanitarian workers may apply for exceptions to the ban, the department said in a public notice.

The U.S. government last month said it would bar Americans from travelling to North Korea due to the risk of "long-term detention" there.

The ban comes at a time of heightened tensions between the United States and North Korea, which has been working to develop a nuclear-tipped missile capable of hitting the United States.

North Korea will become the only country to which Americans are banned from travelling.

American student Otto Warmbier, sentenced last year to 15 years' hard labour in North Korea, returned to the United States in a coma on June 13 after being released on humanitarian grounds, and died June 19. The circumstances surrounding his death are not clear, including why he fell into a coma.

North Korea has said through its state media that Warmbier's death was "a mystery" and dismissed accusations that he had died as a result of torture and beating in captivity.

The State Department issued a notice in the Federal Register on Wednesday declaring U.S. passports invalid for travel to, in or through North Korea. The restriction takes effect in 30 days, and applies for one year unless extended or revoked by the secretary of state.

"Persons currently in North Korea on a U.S. passport should depart North Korea before the travel restriction enters into effect on Friday, September 1, 2017," the department said in a statement.

Professional reporters or journalists, representatives of the International Committee of the Red Cross or the American Red Cross travelling on official missions, those travelling to North Korea for "compelling humanitarian considerations" and those whose requests are "in the national interest" may ask for a special validation of their passports in order to travel to the country, the State Department said.

North Korea is currently holding two Korean-American academics and a missionary, a Canadian pastor and three South Korean nationals who were doing missionary work. Japan says North Korea has also detained at least several dozen of its nationals.

(Reporting by Yeganeh Torbati, David Brunnstrom and David Alexander; Editing by Jonathan Oatis and James Dalgleish)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2017-08-03

1 hour ago, khwaibah said:

This should of been done years ago. Only a brain dead moron that has suicidal tenancies or a backpacker mentality would go there.:shock1:

Actually, lots of Americans have traveled there with no problems.  It's not an easy country for travel, but from what I've been told, fascinating.  In a bizarre sense of the word!

31 minutes ago, craigt3365 said:

Actually, lots of Americans have traveled there with no problems.  It's not an easy country for travel, but from what I've been told, fascinating.  In a bizarre sense of the word!

I travelled there a few years back.  I am neither a brain dead moron nor have a backpacker mentality.  It was a fascinating experience. A friend and I were on a private tour made possible through an experienced company in China. Our minders, as I like to call them, were a guide who was a very nice female who spoke excellent English, a driver, and a second "guide" who seemed to do little and gave me the impression he might have been the government watchdog.  Probably one of the most memorable travel experiences I have had. Very educational in that it clearly showed me the brainwashing that takes place there.  At one point I asked the female guide about how the Korean War started and her response was "probably a different version than yours."  Anyway I am glad I had the opportunity, followed the rules and found it to be an incredible experience. Would I got at this period of heightened tensions? No. Many Europeans travel to the DPRK,  seems like mostly from places like the Netherlands and you never hear about problems. Also note that most of the people the DPRK have detained have been people trying to do missionary work, something that is strictly forbidden.

What happened to Otto is anyone's guess and a horrible tragedy.  He was on a group tour and one has to wonder, if as a young person he made the foolish move of which they accused him. Still the punishment was out of line and the minute he became ill he should have been sent home. Believe me you don't want to do anything that is disrespectful and the tour company he used was the same one I used and we got a very thorough briefing on how to behave while there.

38 minutes ago, Trouble said:

I travelled there a few years back.  I am neither a brain dead moron nor have a backpacker mentality.  It was a fascinating experience. A friend and I were on a private tour made possible through an experienced company in China. Our minders, as I like to call them, were a guide who was a very nice female who spoke excellent English, a driver, and a second "guide" who seemed to do little and gave me the impression he might have been the government watchdog.  Probably one of the most memorable travel experiences I have had. Very educational in that it clearly showed me the brainwashing that takes place there.  At one point I asked the female guide about how the Korean War started and her response was "probably a different version than yours."  Anyway I am glad I had the opportunity, followed the rules and found it to be an incredible experience. Would I got at this period of heightened tensions? No. Many Europeans travel to the DPRK,  seems like mostly from places like the Netherlands and you never hear about problems. Also note that most of the people the DPRK have detained have been people trying to do missionary work, something that is strictly forbidden.

What happened to Otto is anyone's guess and a horrible tragedy.  He was on a group tour and one has to wonder, if as a young person he made the foolish move of which they accused him. Still the punishment was out of line and the minute he became ill he should have been sent home. Believe me you don't want to do anything that is disrespectful and the tour company he used was the same one I used and we got a very thorough briefing on how to behave while there.

Travel is a mind opening experience.  Some here, say how great NK is.  Yet, have never been, don't live there, and really have no idea what it's like there.  As you say, most are brainwashed.

Democracy may not be perfect, but freedom of the press is a key for me. 

2 hours ago, Grouse said:

Precursor to a strike?

Then why wouldn't they tell everyone to leave? No, I think this is purely to do with the Otto Warmbier case and to make it look like they are getting tough.

i do not agree with the us government telling citizens they cannot travel to certain places. i can understand safety warnings and travel at your own risk but this contradicts the us constitution and the claim of a free and democratic society.

7 minutes ago, atyclb said:

i do not agree with the us government telling citizens they cannot travel to certain places. i can understand safety warnings and travel at your own risk but this contradicts the us constitution and the claim of a free and democratic society.

Sadly, even if a statement is made to travel there at your own risk, if something happens, a lawyer will find a way to sue.  These travel warnings stated due to lawsuits when tourists were abducted from Sipidan Island many years ago.  They sued their government for not warning them this could happen.  And won big time.

Lawyers.....

It's also illegal for Americans to travel independently to Cuba.  Tough I've been a few times. LOL

I, too, can't understand why this wasn't instituted a long time ago.  But even now what are the consequences for a U.S. passport holder who manages to travel there?  I'm guessing the NORKs aren't going to help enforce a U.S. travel ban.   A U.S.-based travel/tour company probably would have to, but not necessarily a foreign-based one.  I've read that illegal travel to Cuba has been rewarded with sizeable fines (by the Treasury Dept, not Immigration; on the order of ~$7500) months after their return, even when they thought their return had gone smoothly.  I guess maybe that's the answer.

8 minutes ago, hawker9000 said:

I, too, can't understand why this wasn't instituted a long time ago.  But even now what are the consequences for a U.S. passport holder who manages to travel there?  I'm guessing the NORKs aren't going to help enforce a U.S. travel ban.   A U.S.-based travel/tour company probably would have to, but not necessarily a foreign-based one.  I've read that illegal travel to Cuba has been rewarded with sizeable fines (by the Treasury Dept, not Immigration; on the order of ~$7500) months after their return, even when they thought their return had gone smoothly.  I guess maybe that's the answer.

When you visit Cuba, do so via gateways outside North America.  Cubans don't stamp US passports.  And when returning to the US, don't have any Cuban cigars or printed pics of you sitting on the Havana Malecon! LOL

I had a bit of a close call when an immigration official couldn't line up entry/exit stamps from Mexico.  Luckily, my passport was almost full.  I think he just got tired of looking.

7 hours ago, khwaibah said:

This should of been done years ago. Only a brain dead moron that has suicidal tenancies or a backpacker mentality would go there.:shock1:

And only an undemocratic country would ban its citizens from freely travelling wherever they wish. Whatever happened to the Land of the Free?

8 hours ago, tonray said:

Trump is planning a visit ?

Well he would probably get a warmer reception in NK than in the UK!  Anyway it has been said that in future Americans would still be allowed to travel to North Korea but in a more restricted way.  Maybe Trump is worried that Americans going to NK would be radicalised :smile:

3 hours ago, Krataiboy said:

And only an undemocratic country would ban its citizens from freely travelling wherever they wish. Whatever happened to the Land of the Free?

that disappeared long ago.

these days it's the land of the Orwellian nightmare

13 hours ago, Trouble said:

Very interesting and enlightening post mate. It's also refreshing to read that someone has the intelligence to know the difference between should have and should "of"

In general, American's can travel anywhere that will let them in.   The restriction is the use of the passport as a legal document for entry to a country.   The State Department has the ability to amend or validate the passport for specific people who need to go to a country.   People who have a legitimate reason to be in NK can get there passport validated for travel.

In my previous work, I lived in a country that was banned.  My passport was validated for travel to the country.  

Who a country allows in is not up to the US; only the validity of the passport is.  

The point is those now traveling to NK will be completely on their own should they encounter a problem.  

7 minutes ago, atyclb said:

most fascinating is us passsport holders are free to come and go to iraq, albeit many warnings about danger but it seems nk is a world of safety in comparison.

Most tourists visit Erbil, Iraq.  A very neat place to visit, and you can travel independently.  As you say, the rest of the country is pretty much a no go zone.

In NK, you are not allowed to travel independently.  You have "handlers" with you at all times.  Everything you do is monitored and controlled.  And in the case of Otto, potentially, he stepped out of line.  The consequences were dire.

On 8/3/2017 at 2:23 PM, Krataiboy said:

Presumably N Korea is now the 'new' Cuba?

Edited by dick dasterdly

19 hours ago, craigt3365 said:

Most tourists visit Erbil, Iraq.  A very neat place to visit, and you can travel independently.  As you say, the rest of the country is pretty much a no go zone.

In NK, you are not allowed to travel independently.  You have "handlers" with you at all times.  Everything you do is monitored and controlled.  And in the case of Otto, potentially, he stepped out of line.  The consequences were dire.

east berlin was sort of like that before but interesting.

Just now, atyclb said:

east berlin was sort of like that before but interesting.

I missed that one!  Sadly.  I'm a bit of a nut for places like this. LOL  Ashgabat is pretty cool.  And I'm pretty sure we were followed during our visit there.  Guys in dark clothes with walkie talkies standing behind some trees. LOL