Any Australians living in LOS who own a house should read this

ghworker2010

7 hours ago, georgemandm said:

How would you know that ? .

The news talks  lots of rubbish as we all know .

Not saying  electricity is not  expensive , it can be like thailand, but at less in Australia you can go  solar power and it is free  electricity , it takes  5 years to get your money back from the solar  panels and then you get your  electricity for free . 

Only till they start penalizing you for not using the grid. Have to pay whether or not you use electricity companies.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

Yes thats right about the house, it used to be one of the questions the ATO calculator asked. 

The reality is that if one owns a house/condo in Thailand as well as one in Australia, then the pension is virtually impossible. 

I'm a self-funded retiree ( refugee?) and get a fat Zero from Canberra. That's ok, I still dabble in a bit of work. I wouldn't care much ( and don't care a lot) were it not for the low-life, scum-bag, rotten to the core politicians whose snouts to the trough approach to their own benefits is both bipartisan and universally acknowledged. Vile rotters one and all.

2 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Only till they start penalizing you for not using the grid.

I believe they are working on a bill so that you can be taxed on how much sunlight you absorb.

Oxygen consumption tax is also on the agenda.

Edited by 12DrinkMore

And someone suggested that "they" ( ATO/Pension Office) will only know you are outside Australia " if you tell them". No, " they" know exactly where you are, and how long you are out of the country. Sure, they scrapped the immigration forms but the system still monitors your every movement, courtesy of the API system ( with which all airlines abide).

28 minutes ago, Prbkk said:

And someone suggested that "they" ( ATO/Pension Office) will only know you are outside Australia " if you tell them". No, " they" know exactly where you are, and how long you are out of the country. Sure, they scrapped the immigration forms but the system still monitors your every movement, courtesy of the API system ( with which all airlines abide).

The departure cards used to ask if leaving temporary or permanent, not sure why anyone would have answered permanently as that would have flagged you (as a non resident) to the tax office for sure.

Edited by Peterw42

11 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

The departure cards used to ask if leaving temporary or permanent, not sure why anyone would have answered permanently as that would have flagged you (as a non resident) to the tax office for sure.

Indeed. It's pretty obvious from when there is a disaster in some part of the world and the government is able to say virtually instantly how many Australians are currently in that country.

3 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Only till they start penalizing you for not using the grid. Have to pay whether or not you use electricity companies.

You don't get penalised ok 

you get  Credit back and you can cash in if you like .

7 minutes ago, Prbkk said:

Indeed. It's pretty obvious from when there is a disaster in some part of the world and the government is able to say virtually instantly how many Australians are currently in that country.

Actually, you could use that to your advantage, go to the smart traveller website and keep changing your location, keep them guessing.

Its probably a bit of an urban myth, but I have heard of a way of leaving Australia via cargo ships in Darwin were you dont get stamped out. 

13 minutes ago, georgemandm said:

You don't get penalised ok 

you get  Credit back and you can cash in if you like .

Its changing all the time George.

My place in Queensland still get 44 cents per KWh feed in. Other people get 9 cents.

They also introduced a service fee of roughly one dollar a day.

While I have been in Thailand and Myanmar I have left the house empty. It generates 150 bucks worth of power (90 days billing period) and they slug me 100 bucks service fee for the privilege (remember I'm still on the 44 cents feed in tariff) so I'm effectively earning 50 bucks every three months. I have only left one fridge running while away.

It's going to take a lot longer than 5 years to pay back the capital costs of the installation.

If I was on the 9 cents tariff I would be paying THEM for the privilege of them using my electricity.

Do your sums carefully and don't forget about future costs of ownership.

My system is only small 1.5 KW. I've had it over 10 years now so I expect the inverter to be close to end of life.....that'll cost a grand or 2  to replace.

17 minutes ago, tryasimight said:

Its changing all the time George.

My place in Queensland still get 44 cents per KWh feed in. Other people get 9 cents.

They also introduced a service fee of roughly one dollar a day.

While I have been in Thailand and Myanmar I have left the house empty. It generates 150 bucks worth of power (90 days billing period) and they slug me 100 bucks service fee for the privilege (remember I'm still on the 44 cents feed in tariff) so I'm effectively earning 50 bucks every three months. I have only left one fridge running while away.

It's going to take a lot longer than 5 years to pay back the capital costs of the installation.

If I was on the 9 cents tariff I would be paying THEM for the privilege of them using my electricity.

Do your sums carefully and don't forget about future costs of ownership.

My system is only small 1.5 KW. I've had it over 10 years now so I expect the inverter to be close to end of life.....that'll cost a grand or 2  to replace.

you have a very low KW , not  Worth it 1.5 KW 

i did my  figures  on my home not car about your home .

4 minutes ago, georgemandm said:

you have a very low KW , not  Worth it 1.5 KW 

i did my  figures  on my home not car about your home .

Thanks for the kind response George. I see your manners haven't improved in your time way from the forum.

And from a bloke that 'brags' about earning 150 bucks a day. I wouldn't get out of bed for that. I make that money in two hours of work.

Edited by tryasimight

12 minutes ago, tryasimight said:

Thanks for the kind response George. I see your manners haven't improved in your time way from the forum.

What because I say I not care about your home what's wrong with that .

you do your  figures on your home I do it on my home why is that bad ?. 

Sorry if I up set up .

i look in to it 1.5 Kw is not worth it at all .

the buy back now is 11.3 cents now .

it will go higher in the future.

the government sold of our gas to overseas for next to nothing, that is why  electricity is going up.

Edited by georgemandm
Add on

1 minute ago, georgemandm said:

What because I say I not care about your home what's wrong with that .

you do your  figures on your home I do it on my home why is that bad ?. 

Sorry if I up set up .

i look in to it 1.5 Kw is not worth it at all .

the buy back now is 11.3 cents now .

it will go higher in the future.

Keep that happy thought.

17 minutes ago, tryasimight said:

And from a bloke that 'brags' about earning 150 bucks a day. I wouldn't get out of bed for that. I make that money in two hours of work.

I did not say I make a $150 a day ok 

that is the  average pay rate .

i make my money with not getting out of bed hahahaha.

4 minutes ago, georgemandm said:

I did not say I make a $150 a day ok 

that is the  average pay rate .

i make my money with not getting out of bed hahahaha.

From your previous post.

Mate you are so right .

I come and go to thailand and I find thailand is so  expensive  for the thai people it is a joke .

I can buy  pork leg  for $7 a kgs in Australia , thailand 150 thai bht a kgs is $6 , but I don't get 300 thai bht a day pay ,I get $150 a day pay

I don't have to pay half my days pay for one kgs of pork .

Your words...not mine

4 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

IMO it's time to restrict all MPs to 2 terms.

Mind you, now that Australian dirt has less value, they have to find money from somewhere to support all those welfare bludgers.

Good luck with two terms, the longer they can stay in, the bigger their parliamentary pension is. They are not going to vote themselves out of that perk irrespective of which party they are in.

I suppose I can be called one of the welfare bludgers, as I draw a part Age Pension.

Do I feel guilty about that? Hell no. Two reasons - I shelled out hundreds of thousands of dollars in tax when I was working.

Second reason - the abject failure of government bodies in protecting investors before, during and after the GFC. With effective regulation of the shonks and con artists, I would not have qualified for the pension.

10 minutes ago, tryasimight said:

From your previous post.

Mate you are so right .

I come and go to thailand and I find thailand is so  expensive  for the thai people it is a joke .

I can buy  pork leg  for $7 a kgs in Australia , thailand 150 thai bht a kgs is $6 , but I don't get 300 thai bht a day pay ,I get $150 a day pay

Your words...not mine

So I made a mistake I should have said the  average pay , what is the  crime.

why dose it get to you when I tell it as I see it .

i not need to get out of bed to make money , it comes to me free every day .

24 minutes ago, tryasimight said:

From your previous post.

Mate you are so right .

Your words...not mine

Edited by georgemandm

On ‎3‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 5:41 PM, Salerno said:

CGT (for an individual) is the same as the tax rate in that particular year e.g. 32.4%, 37% or 45%.

Unlike the UK:

"Australian citizens who have owned their home for many years will be taxed on the full gain on the property from the time they bought it if they happen to be a non-resident for tax purposes when they sell."

Yes, as above, the gain is calculated and included in your annual 30 June Tax Return. The Tax payable (if any) is then assessed at your applicable rate.

On 03/08/2017 at 3:41 PM, Salerno said:

CGT (for an individual) is the same as the tax rate in that particular year e.g. 32.4%, 37% or 45%.

Unlike the UK:

"Australian citizens who have owned their home for many years will be taxed on the full gain on the property from the time they bought it if they happen to be a non-resident for tax purposes when they sell."

And what you may not realise is that as resident you will also have to pay capital gains tax on every property owned overseas too.  Don't ya love it?