Three students taken to hospital after attack by teacher for uniform violation

webfact

17 hours ago, scorecard said:

3 defenseless children in hospital!

Why would anybody laugh at the event?

I was not laughing at the event - I find it despicable that the actions of this so called "teacher" led to 3 children being taken to hospital, and that the total number that were subjected to this cowardly attack was 21!

No, I was merely pointing out that the addition or omission of one letter in a word can give that word a totally different meaning - with humorous results e.g:-

"I read somewhere that he was not convicted for ant wrongdoing" 

i.e. Wrongdoing against ants?

There was a situation on ThaiVisa recently when a certain poster was bemoaning the fact that years ago the standard of "eduction" was much higher than today. I found it it quite humorous, but unfortunately, he didn't - but hey - some people take offence when their gaffes/typos are pointed out.

To get back on topic, IMHO this teacher should have been sacked already, and criminal charges brought against him/her and the school principal and governors for allowing such forms of "discipline" to be implemented.

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, sambum said:

Yes, I was making the statement in reference to the situation in the UK - my apologies for that. And yes, even though the uniforms may be relatively cheap in the local markets, as you say for a Thai family with 2 or 3 children at different schools I can well imagine it to be a big problem financially.

But as you have a child at school, can you tell me why they have to have so many different uniforms? Surely one for "Summer" and one for "Winter" should suffice - although with the climate here being as it is, probably one would be ample!

Perhaps I can step in (splash!), as I have a child at school here (P6) and am a teacher.

The basic uniform is shorts/skirt and a white shirt/blouse. The shirt is embroidered with the school name and the childs name. This is done in house at our school, although at the beginning of the year the local Bic C offers the service as well.

One day a week they have PE, so the uniform is tracksuit trousers, plimsolls and polo shirt. The schools generally do not have changing/shower facilities, so the children  wear the  PE kit all day. That said, the PE is not particularly strenuous! The tracksuit top is also worn as a windcheater in the cool season. One day a week is Scouts/Guides, when they wear the appropriate uniforms. Usually on a Friday, most schools wear a local traditional dress, in our case a "Lanna style" tunic over the normal skirt/shorts. So with the exception of the Friday outfit (in our case a ThB250 shirt) you could say (assuming all children would have PE Kit), it is little different from the UK requirement. As scouts and PE are part of the national curriculum they need to have that kit. It works out as one set of clothes for every day (5 day week). 

The uniforms are sold in the school shop, and are not that expensive. In addition there is a government grant of ThB360 a year, paid through the school. This just about covers the cost of two shirts and two skirts for my daughter. All up, to kit her out with shoes, plimsolls,  tracksuit, guide uniform and three sets of blue skirt and blouse cost under ThB2000. The uniform lasts for about two years, and you get ThB720 back over two years - so it is not too onerous. In addition, as we are a RC school, run by nuns, their are grants available to help parents who find it difficult to afford the uniforms.  The school is punctilious about paying out the government grant, I suspect the money may be "diverted" in some other places....

My daughter is now at the age where she is beginning to be interested in fashion - I would rather spend  on school uniform than throw money into the bottomless pit that is "brand name" clothes!

Edited by JAG

18 minutes ago, JAG said:

Perhaps I can step in (splash!), as I have a child at school here (P6) and am a teacher.

The basic uniform is shorts/skirt and a white shirt/blouse. The shirt is embroidered with the school name and the childs name. This is done in house at our school, although at the beginning of the year the local Bic C offers the service as well.

One day a week they have PE, so the uniform is tracksuit trousers, plimsolls and polo shirt. The schools generally do not have changing/shower facilities, so the children  wear the  PE kit all day. That said, the PE is not particularly strenuous! The tracksuit top is also worn as a windcheater in the cool season. One day a week is Scouts/Guides, when they wear the appropriate uniforms. Usually on a Friday, most schools wear a local traditional dress, in our case a "Lanna style" tunic over the normal skirt/shorts. So with the exception of the Friday outfit (in our case a ThB250 shirt) you could say (assuming all children would have PE Kit), it is little different from the UK requirement. As scouts and PE are part of the national curriculum they need to have that kit. It works out as one set of clothes for every day (5 day week). 

The uniforms are sold in the school shop, and are not that expensive. In addition there is a government grant of ThB360 a year, paid through the school. This just about covers the cost of two shirts and two skirts for my daughter. All up, to kit her out with shoes, plimsolls,  tracksuit, guide uniform and three sets of blue skirt and blouse cost under ThB2000. The uniform lasts for about two years, and you get ThB720 back over two years - so it is not too onerous. In addition, as we are a RC school, run by nuns, their are grants available to help parents who find it difficult to afford the uniforms.  The school is punctilious about paying out the government grant, I suspect the money may be "diverted" in some other places....

My daughter is now at the age where she is beginning to be interested in fashion - I would rather spend  on school uniform than throw money into the bottomless pit that is "brand name" clothes!

Thanks for that JAG - doesn't seem too expensive, but as they say "When you've got nowt, owt is a lot ....!

And I will go along with your last statement! But for me that all changed when my daughter went to Uni, and had to start buying her own food and clothes - suddenly the "Oh, I'm not shopping in THERE" became perfectly acceptable! (e.g. in the UK Netto, Lidl, Primark etc)

2 minutes ago, sambum said:

Thanks for that JAG - doesn't seem too expensive, but as they say "When you've got nowt, owt is a lot ....!

And I will go along with your last statement! But for me that all changed when my daughter went to Uni, and had to start buying her own food and clothes - suddenly the "Oh, I'm not shopping in THERE" became perfectly acceptable! (e.g. in the UK Netto, Lidl, Primark etc)

And at what point does someone get hit on the head with a bamboo stick in this story?

22 minutes ago, Tilacme said:

And at what point does someone get hit on the head with a bamboo stick in this story?

Probably when they don't wear the appropriate uniform - which is what we were discussing, and the reason why the 21 students were attacked by their "teacher"  

On 06/08/2017 at 4:03 AM, lvr181 said:

That's great. But I think that too many people are seemingly willing to 'overlook' what may be a minority of school/teacher practices regarding unacceptable punishments. Kids are the most vulnerable members of ANY society and when adults abuse them (whether it is for cultural reasons or otherwise) those practices should be challenged and changed. To any decent member of society, child abuse is not acceptable. Societies and the people in them move forward by recognising many better ways of doing things for the benefit of all not just for the few and not falling back on the old status quo practices. Beating students which causes hospitalisation is NOT acceptable in a modern educated society. Thailand, (along with many others) for all its otherwise acceptable lifestyle attractions, is NOT a modern educated caring society. There cannot be any excuse for not trying to improve. And the desire for Thailand 4.0 does not make the grade either.. :post-4641-1156693976:  

For me It is not that I am willing to "overlook" or not, more a case of it hasn't happened to my son.

If it should happen then I would certainly take action and not overlook the incident.

19 hours ago, sambum said:

Probably when they don't wear the appropriate uniform - which is what we were discussing, and the reason why the 21 students were attacked by their "teacher"  

And as already said, it could be that with several / many of these kids, the parents can't afford the whole kit (and also could be the parents are lazy and ignore their childs' requests for the extra needed to have the full kit).

Meanwhile the child get's punished with a cane across the neck. Outrageous at least.

Further, teachers are supposed to be intelligent and insightful about these things - it's certainly not showing in reagrd to this event. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/4/2017 at 9:42 AM, soalbundy said:

Tell me about it, 5 uniforms a week, I only know what day of the week it is because of my sons uniform. Yes they have to join the scouts,even the teachers are dressed up in scouts uniform

new term2.JPG

I've seen Dep. Directors dressed up in the scout get-up! Funnily enough, though, only when there's some scouting 'bigwigs' likely to show up from some area or national 'committee', whatever,  on an inspection!! :wai: