Condominium Parking Regulations

Tammi

I keep looking at Grand Condotel on Thappraya Road with the thought to buy a condo there but some things concern me of which parking is one. At Grand Condo a parking space is allocated to a condo. Apparently this allocation was done way back when the condo was built. I would guess that half the parking is covered being under the tenns courts and the other have has no cover. The condo I am interested in does not have covered parking.

I have been told that the Manager issues a letter saying that the parking space belongs to the condo. Can this be right? I would have thought that parking spaces are common areas.

I have been to quite a few other condos and nowhere else have I seen condo unit numbers written on parking spaces.

Please tell me about parking at your condos.

Our condo has a few spaces on the ground floor, and underground parking. None of the spaces are allocated. There are only about half as many spaces are there are condo units, but rarely do all the owners stay at the condo at the same time so it is not usually a problem.

I keep looking at Grand Condotel on Thappraya Road with the thought to buy a condo there but some things concern me of which parking is one. At Grand Condo a parking space is allocated to a condo. Apparently this allocation was done way back when the condo was built. I would guess that half the parking is covered being under the tennis courts and the other have has no cover. The condo I am interested in does not have covered parking.

I have been told that the Manager issues a letter saying that the parking space belongs to the condo. Can this be right? I would have thought that parking spaces are common areas.

I have been to quite a few other condos and nowhere else have I seen condo unit numbers written on parking spaces.

Car parks at condominiums come under the general common assets description....sometimes called co-owned areas. Normally, every "unit" in the condominium has the right to park two cars. My condo does not allocate parking bays to each unit as the common assets are quite expansive and owners do move around from facility to facility in their cars.

Strictly speaking, the parking spaces do belong to the condo but the condo belongs to the co-owners....so they are co-owned areas.

I keep looking at Grand Condotel on Thappraya Road with the thought to buy a condo there but some things concern me of which parking is one. At Grand Condo a parking space is allocated to a condo. Apparently this allocation was done way back when the condo was built. I would guess that half the parking is covered being under the tennis courts and the other have has no cover. The condo I am interested in does not have covered parking.

Car parks at condominiums come under the general common assets description....sometimes called co-owned areas. Normally, every "unit" in the condominium has the right to park two cars. My condo does not allocate parking bays to each unit as the common assets are quite expansive and owners do move around from facility to facility in their cars.

Strictly speaking, the parking spaces do belong to the condo but the condo belongs to the co-owners....so they are co-owned areas.

Yes, sorry, I didn't write clearly. The Manager at Grand Condo apparently issues letters that the parking space is owned by the co-owner. I say this is nonsense, that parking spaces are common area. If a parking space was owned by a co-owner it would be on the deed that is received from the land office, wouldn't it?

It's all up to the owners organization. The by-laws in my condo states that you can park anywhere, other condos have fixed parking. You could take it up at the next AGM and call for a vote on the subject.

Yes, sorry, I didn't write clearly. The Manager at Grand Condo apparently issues letters that the parking space is owned by the co-owner. I say this is nonsense, that parking spaces are common area. If a parking space was owned by a co-owner it would be on the deed that is received from the land office, wouldn't it?

Yes, it would. I think that the Manager actually means plural in both cases...i.e. parking spaces and co-owners. There are no plurals in the Thai language and, to indicate more than one of anything, the noun is used followed by the number of the 'things' followed by a classifier. I'm sure that he has translated directly from the Thai version of your written condominium constitution and he is referring to joint ownership by the co-owners (plural). I hope that this is clear Tammi.

The condo where I stay it's first in best dressed, no allocation. If fact sometimes people have their friends cars parked there when they go away and that just makes it harder for everyone else. Personally I like my Aussie condo set up better, parking is allocated and no one else can use your spot, it's on title too.

I would venture that there are very few condominium buildings in the realm that have the luxury of two parking spaces per condominium.

Fortunately many locations have unsold units which eases the pressure to some extent.

The condo where I stay it's first in best dressed, no allocation. If fact sometimes people have their friends cars parked there when they go away and that just makes it harder for everyone else. Personally I like my Aussie condo set up better, parking is allocated and no one else can use your spot, it's on title too.

My condo in Bangkok has allocated parking spaces for some units (depending on unit size). My unit has an allocated space and is shown drawn on my title deeds (and I can even rent the space out ).

Tammi. it looks as though there are many differences between condos relating to parking provisions and parking rights. Mention the issue to one of your representatives on the Co-owners' Committee as he/she should be able to clarify it for you....or, as ZZZ suggests, raise it at the next Co-owners' AGM.