Retirement extension expiring, options on getting short term extension ?

My O Visa - or rather " Extension to permission to stay based on retirement"  (EtPtSBoR) expires in November.  I'm transitioning out so  I really only need to stay about 60 - 90 days beyond that- any options  on how to get that length of extension.

What is the limit I can ask for  at my local immigration ( Phuket ) without going through a one year extension Hassle-O-Rama ?

It has been suggested a transit visa from a outside consulate- what is the total length of that permission with  extensions.  

Thank you 

There is no extension of 60 days which you can apply for at immigration unless married to a Thai person. 

You can easily obtain a SE tourist visa from a nearby Thai embassy/consulate which will provide for a 60 day stay which is extendable for another 30 days.

Well last time I got a tourist visa, ( Penang ) they wanted hotel  booking info an flight out,  I have neither. Is there a better consulate to go to ?  

What about a transit visa, that's what I'm doing ? Just trying to avoid the incredible hassle of the one year extension which I doubt I will qualify for, seeming to need BOTH 65,000 a month AND 800,000 in the bank. 

Edited by PhuketSarah

2 minutes ago, PhuketSarah said:

Well last time I got a tourist visa, ( Penang ) they wanted hotel  booking info an flight out,  I have neither. Is there a better consulate to go to ?  

What about a transit visa, that's what I'm doing ? Just trying to avoid the incredible hassle of the one year extension which I doubt I will qualify for, seeming to need BOTH 65,000 a month AND 800,000 in the bank. 

The Thai Consular-section in Vientiane will not require hotel-booking or flight out, though you do need to provide a valid Thai address where you will be staying.

Re: "BOTH 65,000 a month AND 800,000 in the bank" - no, just one or the other, or a combination totaling 800K for an annual extension based on retirement. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, PhuketSarah said:

Just trying to avoid the incredible hassle of the one year extension which I doubt I will qualify for, seeming to need BOTH 65,000 a month AND 800,000 in the bank. 

I hate to think where you got this information from but it is blatant NONSENSE.  You only require either the 800,000 in a Thai bank OR  65K/month income certified by your Embassy OR a combination of money in the bank plus certified income totaling 800,000.

Edited by Here2008
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, JackThompson said:

The Thai Consular-section in Vientiane will not require hotel-booking or flight out, though you do need to provide a valid Thai address where you will be staying.

Re: "BOTH 65,000 a month AND 800,000 in the bank" - no, just one or the other, or a combination totaling 800K for an annual extension based on retirement. 

BUT  that's not what the Phuket Immigration requirement list  reads I am foreseeing huge hassle and denial of extension  which is why I have started this thread 

Extension of Retirement Visa 

Eligibilities  of Applicants  

3) The applicant must have a deposit of 800,000 in a Thai bank account (savings or current account only; an investment account is not acceptable) for the last 3 months (or for the last 60 days for the first year of application) 

4) The applicant must have a proof [sic] of monthly income of at least 65,000 baht; or

5) The applicant must have a total of 800,000 baht combination of personal bank deposit and monthly income

OK  so as I understand it,  # 3 is a requirement -  800,000 in the bank  When I asked about this,  I was told  " Or  proof of 65,000 monthly income."

So which is it? 3 or 5 or 3 and 5 ?   I did not dare  ask for  clarification on any further  questions as it was obviously annoying the officer trying to watch TV.

• Sad 2

2 minutes ago, PhuketSarah said:

BUT  that's not what the Phuket Immigration requirement list  reads I am foreseeing huge hassle and denial of extension  which is why I have started this thread 

3) The applicant must have a deposit of 800,000 in a Thai bank account (savings or current account only; an investment account is not acceptable) for the last 3 months (or for the last 60 days for the first year of application) 

4) The applicant must have a proof [sic] of monthly income of at least 65,000 baht; or

5) The applicant must have a total of 800,000 baht combination of personal bank deposit and monthly income

OK  so as I understand it,  # 3 is a requirement -  800,000 in the bank  When I asked about this,  I was told  " Or  proof of 65,000 monthly income."

So which is it? 3 or 5 or 3 and 5 ?   I did not dare  ask for  clarification on any further  questions as it was obviously annoying the officer trying to watch TV.

There is an "or" between #3 and #4.  There is no doubt on this point.  There are 3 separate ways to qualify - in your list above #3 - OR - #4 - OR - #5.
#3 is the easiest, if you have the cash in a Thai acct for 3 months (60 days the first time, 3 months for renewing)
#4 requires getting an statutory-declaration of income from your embassy - in English is OK - and some Immigration-Offices require you get an MFA certification of the embassy's consular signature. 
#5 is useful if your mo-income is not 65K/mo - so you can combine #3 and #4 to reach the 800K threshold.

21 minutes ago, glegolo said:

Why not go out, come back via air get a TouristVISA excempt, and then extend that another 30 days, and voila,,,,, you have 60 days and bye bye Thailand..

Glegolo

I thought it was for only 15 days?  Is it 30 by air? And haven't people been  getting turned away ? They see I had a retirement extension and decide I'm  working or something ? 

3 minutes ago, PhuketSarah said:

The or is missing at the end of that requirement.

It should be 3 or 4 or 5.

1 minute ago, JackThompson said:

There is an "or" between #3 and #4.  There is no doubt on this point.  There are 3 separate ways to qualify - in your list above #3 - OR - #4 - OR - #5.
#3 is the easiest, if you have the cash in a Thai acct for 3 months (60 days the first time, 3 months for renewing)
#4 requires getting an statutory-declaration of income from your embassy - in English is OK - and some Immigration-Offices require you get an MFA certification of the embassy's consular signature. 
#5 is useful if your mo-income is not 65K/mo - so you can combine #3 and #4 to reach the 800K threshold.

No  there is not an " or " between 3 and 4, # 3 reads like  a requirement 

Just now, ubonjoe said:

The or is missing at the end of that requirement.

It should be 3 or 4 or 5.

Thank you   and when I asked at the office I got an annoyed  officer, then I read some people have had to have both so..

I am preparing to not have an extension approved 

Just now, PhuketSarah said:

thought it was for only 15 days?  Is it 30 by air? And haven't people been  getting turned away ? They see I had a retirement extension and decide I'm  working or something ? 

I has been 30 days at land border crossings since January 1st of this year. And it has always been 30 days by air.

You extension based upon retirement will not be taken into consideration when you do a visa exempt entry.

1 minute ago, PhuketSarah said:

Thank you   and when I asked at the office I got an annoyed  officer, then I read some people have had to have both so..

It is a rule set in the police order for extensions of stay. that it is or.

Perhaps the people that had to have both because they did not have proof of 65k baht income.

3 minutes ago, Here2008 said:

Well now you know there should be.  

Why not scan and post this document you are referring to? 

I can take a pic of it   will do so  and post  in a few   but I think immigration officers can do whatever they want, right? 

2 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

It is a rule set in the police order for extensions of stay. that it is or.

Perhaps the people that had to have both because they did not have proof of 65k baht income.

I have an embassy affidavit.  There are some other points on that requirement sheet, too  like am I to notarize my entire passport ?  I asked all this in the Phuket forum, have sent you a PM about it 

Since the other topic is closed, this would be the place to continue:

23 minutes ago, PhuketSarah said:

More on why I wish to avoid the hassle of one year extension   The  Phuket Immigration office requirement form  -- 

Below is the requirement sheet I was given- NOTE; Does not include a new requirement about a picture of myself  outside the house, which I was told verbally and shown an example of a pic filling an A-4 size sheet of paper- 

In front of house with house number showing. 

But my house does not have a number on it.

That's OK   :saai:   

( Would be prudent to  make sure a number  shows..)  Also verbally told I must apply BEFORE 45 days of the expiration. After a few questions about that-and insisting I be shown on a calendar  it's  not before  it's within 45 days.. But have read it is actually within 30 days.. So which is it? 

3) The applicant must have a deposit of 800,000 in a Thai bank account (savings or current account only; an investment account is not acceptable) for the last 3 months (or for the last 60 days for the first year of application) 

4) The applicant must have a proof [sic] of monthly income of at least 65,000 baht; or

5) The applicant must have a total of 800,000 baht combination of personal bank deposit and monthly income

So which is it? 3 or 5 or 3 and 5 ?   I did not dare  ask for  clarification on any further  questions as it was obviously annoying the officer trying to watch TV.

So I did not get answers to these questions regarding ;    

Required Documents;

2) Passport and a certified copy 

So what is a certified copy of a passport   Notarized ? By Thai notary? By my Embassy ? And all pages in the book , some pertinent pages, just  ID page? ) If it's all pages by a Thai  notary that could be 20, 000 baht or more. By the US Embassy, 40, 000 baht. 

3) A bank letter confirming a deposit in a Thai bank (same amount as shown in the updated bank book) and a bank statement for the last  three months. 

The bank gave me a letter confirming the account, easily enough but would not put in the balance.

So what to do about that ?

Now I've  just read on another read this bank verification letter needs to be within 7 days of application-

Is that true?  Nothing about validity period in the requirement sheet.  If so, then...

Is this 7 day validity  also a requirement for the Bank Statement? 

Anything special to know about the statement? Like it has to be mailed to me from Bangkok head office (taking 10 days to do so..? ) 

6 )  House registration of a current address or a tenant's agreement.  

Then  no need for any TM 30  or 90 day notifications? 

When I last did a TM - 30  I was asked   to provide an original company stamp on the lease, the house registration copy and the house owner's passport  (foreign director of a Thai  Co) and the companies' shareholder list.

Am I going to need  all that  again? 

Thanks in advance 

Not surprising there is a typo missing an "or" between "eligibilities" #3 and #4 on the list.  It is a typo.

Yes, you will need a photo in front of your residence.  You should also provide a map to your residence.  If you bring a printout from google-maps, they may request you "draw" another map, as well.

If they want a certified copy of your passport, that is done by getting a copy certified by your Embassy, then having the embassy's consular-signature verified by the MFA.  Maybe someone who has recently done a retirement-extension in Phuket can verify if this is a new requirement - every year?  Sometimes, they only want some things the first year.

EDIT - See UJ's note, below.  That makes more sense.  The process I described exists for some things, but I have not heard of it being required for annual extensions.

The bank should provide you with a letter for immigration.  They should know what this is, because they do them all the time.  Get this letter on the same day as you apply for the extension.  You should also update your passbook that day.  You will show both.

I would bring anything you have regarding where you stay.  Usually this entails your lease-contract (if you don't own a condo), plus owner's info (their passport, in this case), plus house-registration copy (signed by the owner).  If your residence is owned by a corporation - bring whatever you used the last time.

If you have been doing 90-day reports, you won't have problems there.  Otherwise, a fine could be charged.

If you have a current TM-30 in your passport, they may want a copy of this.  I assume you have been keeping your TM-30 current if leaving/returning from your residence, per whatever rules your immigration-office requires (they all differ).

I am not familiar with rules stating you must apply 30/45 days in advance for an annual retirement extension.  Maybe someone else has heard of this.

Edited by JackThompson
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, PhuketSarah said:

There are some other points on that requirement sheet, too  like am I to notarize my entire passport ?

You only need to sign each copy not have them notarized. When they write certified that means signed here.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

If they want a certified copy of your passport, that is done by getting a copy certified by your Embassy, then having the embassy's consular-signature verified by the MFA.  Maybe someone who has recently done a retirement-extension in Phuket can verify if this is a new requirement

This is NOT a requirement of Phuket immigration for an extension of stay.

The only time copies of all the passport pages with Thai visas/stamps is required is when transferring an extension of stay stamp to a new passport and "certified" means self signed! 

Edited by Here2008
  • Like 2

Sounds like the OP has had a gut full of Phuket Immigration's hoop-jumping. There are other easier and cheaper alternative venues to retire to in Thailand.

And yes, any local Immigration office can and will add arbitrary ad-hoc requirements to the MFA basic list of requirements. Some add maps and photographs that were previously exclusive to marriage extensions to the retirement extension requirements . Others have stated the 30-day approval criteria for marriage extensions also applies to retirement extensions... but can be done same-day for an extra consideration. Nest of thieves, the lot of them.

If Phuket casually omits a key grammatical conjunction when they copy/paste the original MFA instructions and nobody questions it and fronts up with BOTH the seasoned deposit AND the monthly income, the precedent will have been set and obviates the painful necessity for some junior office flunky to admit they made a typo.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

You only need to sign each copy not have them notarized. When they write certified that means signed here.

Thank stars, when I looked into how much a  notary charges, and realized  every page  might need to be notarized. It's like a thousand US $ 

So why  use  a term certified that is erroneous and not even necessary? 

20 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Sounds like the OP has had a gut full of Phuket Immigration's hoop-jumping. There are other easier and cheaper alternative venues to retire to in Thailand.

And yes, any local Immigration office can and will add arbitrary ad-hoc requirements to the MFA basic list of requirements. Some add maps and photographs that were previously exclusive to marriage extensions to the retirement extension requirements . Others have stated the 30-day approval criteria for marriage extensions also applies to retirement extensions... but can be done same-day for an extra consideration. Nest of thieves, the lot of them.

If Phuket casually omits a key grammatical conjunction when they copy/paste the original MFA instructions and nobody questions it and fronts up with BOTH the seasoned deposit AND the monthly income, the precedent will have been set and obviates the painful necessity for some junior office flunky to admit they made a typo.

Thank you for your sympathy... And I tried to have it clarified, and got the annoyed attitude while he turned his head away to watch TV. 

So what are those other options you mentioned ?  Can I go to Bangkok? 

Here's the sheet  I was given, not only omits the very important OR  but has muddied printing covering up # 3   account ..... for the first  which are barely legible.

Immig Req 1 a.jpg

1 minute ago, PhuketSarah said:

So why  use  a term certified that is erroneous and not even necessary? 

You seem to have a very narrow understand of the meaning of "certified". Self certification of documentation is an acceptable process depending on the situation.  It is also possible to be a "certified" scuba-diver without the need for being "notarized" !