Retirement extension expiring, options on getting short term extension ?

Well this thread has diverged, but is really about just squeezing out 60 -  90  more days so as to transition out.

Question lost in the pile on:   Can I go to Penang and get a new O visa getting 90 days that way?  It would be far  less unpleasant  and likely the same amount of travel time.
 Or what about a transit visa? Any knowledge on that topic? 

Well honey, it has diverged since your stream of consciousness has been all over the shop like the proverbial mad womans s**t. Not calling you mad BTW, just all a bit scattergun. So, in soliciting advice on Penang O's, we can rule out recycling the debate about renewing the current extension?

Have a look at the pinned thread about getting Thai visas in local consulates (or worded something similar). ubonjoe, maestro and few others do a pretty good job of keeping that updated. Without referencing it at the moment, based on the assumption that your passport isn't chock full on non-exempts and TR's, then Penang may be a good choice for a TR. Getting a non-O may be more challenging since they have been forcing most seeking that type of visa to go further afield (like back home) to get one. Either way, pay attention to the method of re-entry to Thailand. Flying in seems to be hassle free via Suvarnabhumi (so assume Phuket is similarly benign). But the land crossing can be perilous when queueing with those that may have more 'difficulty' in passing muster with the border IO's down there; 'tarred with the same brush'. I think that having at least 20k baht (or equivalent) cash is a key criteria but maybe an onward ticket as well?

Just now, NanLaew said:

Well honey, it has diverged since your stream of consciousness has been all over the shop like the proverbial mad womans s**t. Not calling you mad BTW, just all a bit scattergun. So, in soliciting advice on Penang O's, we can rule out recycling the debate about renewing the current extension?

Have a look at the pinned thread about getting Thai visas in local consulates (or worded something similar). ubonjoe, maestro and few others do a pretty good job of keeping that updated. Without referencing it at the moment, based on the assumption that your passport isn't chock full on non-exempts and TR's, then Penang may be a good choice for a TR. Getting a non-O may be more challenging since they have been forcing most seeking that type of visa to go further afield (like back home) to get one. Either way, pay attention to the method of re-entry to Thailand. Flying in seems to be hassle free via Suvarnabhumi (so assume Phuket is similarly benign). But the land crossing can be perilous when queueing with those that may have more 'difficulty' in passing muster with the border IO's down there; 'tarred with the same brush'. I think that having at least 20k baht (or equivalent) cash is a key criteria but maybe an onward ticket as well?

I posted the above via the android app but it looks like it took ages to actually post and in the interim, ubonjoe confirms that the OP can get the non-O in Penang with the income affidavit so good luck.

My advisement on where to make your Thailand re-entry as bullet-proof as possible still stands. What is cheapest may not be the best.

Good luck and I hope you get all your loose ends tied up before fleeing the coup...

15 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Well honey, it has diverged since your stream of consciousness has been all over the shop like the proverbial mad womans s**t. Not calling you mad BTW, just all a bit scattergun.  :saai:

Back to the topic at hand. ..

This thread is asking about options, We  are not ruling out any  choices  including going ahead with the extension. 

20,000 is no problem  for  TR   but the last land entry I did at Pedang was really really bad. On a re entry permit from the current O  got me  an intimidation squad throwing all manner of made up rules like wanting to see 20,000 I did not have- as that rule should not pertain.  That was really the last straw for me and hoops 

I think getting a new  O will work. BUT ALSO I was thinking about going ahead and applying for the extension, but I do not want to lose that income affidavit- real hassle and expense getting  another one.  Someone else  posted yesterday   they needed 800 K AND the affidavit. I do not have the 800 K. 

Question:  If I apply and it is refused, can I get the Income affidavit back ?  I know Penang only takes a copy but they want to see an original 

Honestly,   I think IO is transitioning into new requirements.  Turns out  the  info sheet posted up on Phuket forum and a FB page was written by an expat.  NO wonder it was so much more comprehensive, but I cannot  show the IO that and say,  "But these are the req.." when the sheet Phuket IO  gave me states 800K  is a requirement now. I was able to get a shrug in response to my telling the IO I  did not have 800K  - all my money comes in from US, that I can show more than enough to live on,  and that was sufficient last year, but...

Edited by PhuketSarah
Insult addressed

17 minutes ago, PhuketSarah said:

20,000 is no problem   but the last land entry I did at Pedang was really really bad- on a re entry permit from the current O  got me  an intimidation squad throwing all manner of made up rules at me.  That was really the last straw for me and hoops 

Your still not listening or learning.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, PhuketSarah said:

20,000 is no problem  for  TR   but the last land entry I did at Pedang was really really bad. On a re entry permit from the current O  got me  an intimidation squad throwing all manner of made up rules like wanting to see 20,000 I did not have- as that rule should not pertain.  

And why should the 20k baht or equivalent in cash NOT pertain? It has been LEGEND and FACT for longer than you have been around that the land border crossings mostly want to see it regardless of your height, haircut, visa and/or status. Why does this not apply to you? You are not special and you will never, ever get a consistent and correct 'by the book' immigration entry procedure especially overland in the south.

Someone else  posted yesterday   they needed 800 K AND the affidavit. I do not have the 800 K. 

Where? On this thread? On this forum?

Honestly,   I think IO is transitioning into new requirements.

No sh!t? Here we are on year 3 or 4 of the big Thailand visa clamp down. First the visa runners, then the multiple visa-exempts then the multiple ED's, now the multiple TR's.  And you are just noticing this?

I was able to get a shrug in response to my telling the IO I  did not have 800K  - all my money comes in from US, that I can show more than enough to live on,  and that was sufficient last year, but...

And THERE we FINALLY have your referencing last years experience. This year will be no different.

Use the new income affidavit (they WILL keep the original), bring proof of the funds coming into your Thai account (as detailed earlier), bring bank statements that show the wedge you have stashed in US banks (as detailed earlier) and file for another extension.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

And why should the 20k baht or equivalent in cash NOT pertain? It has been LEGEND and FACT for longer than you have been around that the land border crossings mostly want to see it regardless of your height, haircut, visa and/or status. Why does this not apply to you? You are not special and you will never, ever get a consistent and correct 'by the book' immigration entry procedure especially overland in the south.

The 20K/10K Baht rules (visa/exempt, respectively) should not pertain because:

• a re-entry permit entry is not a new-entry
  • an extension issued by Immigration, unlike a Visa issued by the MFA, has already been financially-OK'd by Immigration

That said, I agree that reports indicate is unrealistic to think that immigration checkpoints will be consistent and/or follow the laws/rules on the books.

It is also unrealistic to assume any printed list will be:

• accurately translated
  • accurately reflect what will actually be required to get an extension/service at Immigration

Recent reports by others who have had experience doing a particular thing, is sometimes better information, or at least good supplemental information, vs the info one receives directly from Immigration.

I am not saying things should be this way, only that we either accept this is how it is - or bang our head against the walls.  Best to avoid trouble where possible (avoid Immigration where reports indicate they are not going to be fair/reasonable), and deal as best you can in cases where interaction cannot be avoided.

24 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

The 20K/10K Baht rules (visa/exempt, respectively) should not pertain because:

• a re-entry permit entry is not a new-entry
  • an extension issued by Immigration, unlike a Visa issued by the MFA, has already been financially-OK'd by Immigration

That said, I agree that reports indicate is unrealistic to think that immigration checkpoints will be consistent and/or follow the laws/rules on the books.

It is also unrealistic to assume any printed list will be:

• accurately translated
  • accurately reflect what will actually be required to get an extension/service at Immigration

Recent reports by others who have had experience doing a particular thing, is sometimes better information, or at least good supplemental information, vs the info one receives directly from Immigration.

I am not saying things should be this way, only that we either accept this is how it is - or bang our head against the walls.  Best to avoid trouble where possible (avoid Immigration where reports indicate they are not going to be fair/reasonable), and deal as best you can in cases where interaction cannot be avoided.

Why are you telling me this?

20 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

I responded to what you posted about the money-rule, and the thread in general. 

Tell the OP.

She's the one that can't get her head around the fact that...

48 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

I agree that reports indicate is unrealistic to think that immigration checkpoints will be consistent and/or follow the laws/rules on the books.

And...

49 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

It can be challenging and we are agreed that 'belt and braces' is the best approach but the OP has been a bit light on acceptance of these facts. Maybe the fact that this well-known and unchangeable inconsistency (that in all reality she faces ONLY once a year) is really what is pissing her off and not Phuket (or Thailand) as a hole.

• Like 2