Retirement extension expiring, options on getting short term extension ?

16 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

The list of required documents are for the all of the options to meet the financial proof. You choose which are the ones for your option is only number 5..

Thank you again.  I'm not doubting your expertise,  but I am betting should I go in without item # 3,  a letter from the bank, I will be told to get one.  This is on a list on a Phuket thread, and seems to be agreed upon is needed no matter the method. Also the bank book, and copies of the pages ostensibly showing deposits from outside the country. One poster even claimed a copy of his ATM card was needed. This is why I  thought the  Phuket forum was the appropriate place for detailed queries. 

Edited by PhuketSarah

Here were my questions  in that thread  some have been answered, ( certified by whom?)  but a few discrepancies remain, like do I need a letter from the bank, statement ?  Other Phuket threads  say, yes, Ubon Joe says, not needed with affidavit..

And the validity period of 7 days, not on the req sheet, but seems to be a req according to Phuket threads

Does 7 day  apply to statements?

Extension of Retirement Visa 

Eligibilities  of Applicants  

3) The applicant must have a deposit of 800,000 in a Thai bank account (savings or current account only; an investment account is not acceptable) for the last 3 months (or for the last 60 days for the first year of application) 

4) The applicant must have a proof [sic] of monthly income of at least 65,000 baht; or

5) The applicant must have a total of 800,000 baht combination of personal bank deposit and monthly income

OK  so as I understand it,  # 3 is a requirement -  800,000 in the bank  When I asked about this,  I was told  " Or  proof of 65,000 monthly income."

So which is it? 3 or 5 or 3 and 5 ?   I did not dare  ask for  clarification on any further  questions as it was obviously annoying the officer trying to watch TV.

So I did not get answers to these questions regarding ;    

Required Documents;

2) Passport and a certified copy 

So what is a certified copy of a passport   Notarized ? By Thai notary? By my Embassy ? And all pages in the book , some pertinent pages, just  ID page? ) If it's all pages by a Thai  notary that could be 20, 000 baht or more. By the US Embassy, 40, 000 baht. 

3) A bank letter confirming a deposit in a Thai bank (same amount as shown in the updated bank book) and a bank statement for the last  three months. 

The bank gave me a letter confirming the account, easily enough but would not put in the balance.

So what to do about that ?

Now I've  just read on another read this bank verification letter needs to be within 7 days of application-

Is that true?  Nothing about validity period in the requirement sheet.  If so, then...

Is this 7 day validity  also a requirement for the Bank Statement? 

Anything special to know about the statement? Like it has to be mailed to me from Bangkok head office (taking 10 days to do so..? ) 

6 )  House registration of a current address or a tenant's agreement.  

Then  no need for any TM 30  or 90 day notifications? 

When I last did a TM - 30  I was asked   to provide an original company stamp on the lease, the house registration copy and the house owner's passport  (foreign director of a Thai  Co) and the companies' shareholder list.

Am I going to need  all that  again? 

Thanks in advance 

Edited by PhuketSarah

Prerequisite are:

Valid Non-O visa without overstay or valid extension.
Up to date address registration.

Required papers:

Completely filled in TM 7 form.       Click for to download TM7

Copies from following passport pages:

Detail page
Current visa/extension
Last 3 extensions. (If applicable)
Last entry stamp
TM6 departure card

Passport size picture.

Proof of financial status either:

Letter from Embassy/Consul Certifying over THB 65000 month. (valid 6 months),
Supporting documents of the income may be requested by the immigration officer.
Copy bank book name page. OR
Copy Thai bank book name page and last 2/3 months transactions.
Signed and stamped bank letter AND Signed and stamped bank statement showing the money for the required period.
( 2 months first time, 3 months for consecutive extensions and both letters maximum 7 days old ) OR
Combination of both which combined is at least THB 800.00 a year.

Picture of applicant in front of the house with house number clearly visible.

Extension application can be submitted within the last 30 days of the current visa/extension.
If joined account is used (with marriage certificate) only 50% of balance is used.
Only saving or fixed accounts where the money is at any time available are accepted.

Please go to room 103 for your retirement extension.

Price for the extension is THB 1900

This is the financial requirement as per; Immigration Bureau order 327-2557 (2014) - extension criteria & conditions en.pdf  

(3) Must have evidence of having income of no less than Baht 65,000 per month: or

(4) On the filing date, the applicant must have funds deposited in a bank in Thailand of no less than Baht 800,000 for the past three months. For the first year only, the applicant must have proof of a deposit account in which said amount of funds has been maintained for no less than 60 days prior to the filing date: or

(5) Must have an annual earning and fluids deposited with a bank totalling no less than
Baht 800,0000 as of the filing date.

If using (3) the evidence is a 'proof of income' letter from your Embassy. OR

If using (4) the evidence is a an updated passbook and letter from you bank. The funds must match and may need to be dated the same day as submission. OR

If using (5) the evidence of (3) and (4) must be supplied.

(3) is known as proof of funds by way of income.

(4) is known as proof of funds held in a Thai bank account.

(5) is know as a combination of both funds by way of income and funds deposited in a Thai bank totalling 800,00 per annum.

9 minutes ago, PhuketSarah said:

Thanks in advance 

It seems that all of your "questions"  relate to the Phuket Immigration Office which is where the questions should be asked.

The "experience" you describe is not reflected in reality as I can attest having secured extension's of stay from the Phuket office for over a decade.

The post above promoting an unlawful action has been removed.

2) You will not use ThaiVisa.com to post any material which is knowingly or can be reasonably construed as false, inaccurate, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise in violation of any law.

1 hour ago, Here2008 said:

It seems that all of your "questions"  relate to the Phuket Immigration Office which is where the questions should be asked.

The "experience" you describe is not reflected in reality as I can attest having secured extension's of stay from the Phuket office for over a decade.

They have been asked, and answered several times in the Phuket forum  by many people who

know what they are talking about but as can be seen this particular person will not listen to

anyone, she would rather follow some unofficial piece of paper which is to say the least of fairly

dubious origin and has no evidence of ever having come from any immigration official source.

She has been sent the following which is a detailed and accurate list of the requirements for the 

Phuket office but has decided that a scrap of paper written by who knows is the way to go.

image.png

• Like 2

23 hours ago, NanLaew said:

If Phuket casually omits a key grammatical conjunction when they copy/paste the original MFA instructions and nobody questions it and fronts up with BOTH the seasoned deposit AND the monthly income, the precedent will have been set and obviates the painful necessity for some junior office flunky to admit they made a typo.

Immigrations doesn't fall under the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MFA). It's under The Ministry of the Interior. 

Hopefully your post doesn't set a precedent here at TV that we are obliged to follow in future  in order to obviate the painful necessity for you to admit you made an error in your rush to condemn others for their cavalier use of Boolean operators.

2 hours ago, Here2008 said:

I think the lady is trying to make a statement not ask a question.  I was in the same situation when I first came to Thailand decades ago.  I went to the Immigration office and asked my questions before I needed to apply for an extension and then followed their advice and brought what they told me.  I was one paper short and I went home and brought it back the next day.  A couple of hours for a year of retirement extension is not much work I think.  It took me an hour to get home and an hour to get back.  I have always done the extensions by myself no significant other hanging on or agent and never any problem. 

• Sad 1

Just now, Suradit69 said:

Immigrations doesn't fall under the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MFA). It's under The Ministry of the Interior. 

Hopefully your post doesn't set a precedent here at TV that we are obliged to follow in future  in order to obviate the painful necessity for you to admit you made an error in your rush to condemn others for their cavalier use of Boolean operators.

Bugger me.... another one that jumps in without reading interim posts.

It's good fun though, isn't it?!

3 hours ago, amvet said:

I think the lady is trying to make a statement not ask a question.  I was in the same situation when I first came to Thailand decades ago.  I went to the Immigration office and asked my questions before I needed to apply for an extension and then followed their advice and brought what they told me.  I was one paper short and I went home and brought it back the next day.  A couple of hours for a year of retirement extension is not much work I think.  It took me an hour to get home and an hour to get back.  I have always done the extensions by myself no significant other hanging on or agent and never any problem. 

And I, too  started at Phuket IO, and was given en erred requirement sheet which the officer on duty did not wish to clarify, nor expand on a few questions such as who or what certifies documents.  I spent a few hours on a phone trying to locate a notary that wasn't going to cost me 20,000 to do every page in my passport because it is not specific as to what pages.  But .. no notary needed, I just scribble on it and it's certified

As I wrote... somewhere,  it's a half day  travel to  and back.

It's perfectly reasonable to expect a clearly stated,  error free requirement  list from a governmental entity.

Immig Req 3 certify crop.jpg

Edited by PhuketSarah

Cavalier something-or-other notwithstanding, the precise requirements have been stated and re-stated multiple times herein. Whilst some here fixate on my fleeting, and self-admitted and fully-confessed totally erroneous mention of the MFA, the OP fixates on the missing conjunction in an unofficial letter. So, moving right along...

If using the sworn income affidavit from the US Embassy method, there is no need for 800k baht in a local bank and subsequently no need for a letter from the local bank, etc., etc..

However, in accordance with the clearly published caveat that "Supporting documents of the income may be requested by the immigration officer", the IO may ask to see the updated local bank book (and self-signed copies of certain pages thereof) to confirm that life-sustaining transfers of funds from overseas are evidenced. The fact that the applicant is alive and breathing and seated in front of them is not considered as evidence of such.

There is no need for bankers letter, bank statement, updated bank book and recent ATM activity slip if one is not using the locally seasoned 800k as evidence of funds or not using a mix of overseas income and a lower locally seasoned amount. But the IO may get a wild hair up their keister and ask that the bank book be current or the fresh ATM chitty so be prepared.

The IO may also ask to see provenance of said unseen, foreign income in the form of foreign bank statements. These do not need to be signed, certified or translated and can be either regular mailed bank statements or downloaded/printed ones from online bank access.

Worst case is the IO may also want the affidavit certified by the MFA in Bangkok. Note that this official certification consists of the MFA comparing the name of the US Consular signatory with their list of currently active and registered foreign consular office staff. AFAIK, no Phuket IO's have requested this but hey! there's always a first time. Allegedly this has been standard operating procedure in a few other immigration jurisdictions for several years due to broke-assed applicants forging letters and affidavits. Pretty sure the retirees on the 'island as big as Singapore' are well funded and needn't resort to such skulduggery.

Has anyone asked the OP how she handled her retirement extension last year?

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Cavalier something-or-other notwithstanding, the precise requirements have been stated and re-stated multiple times herein. Whilst some here fixate on my fleeting, and self-admitted and fully-confessed totally erroneous mention of the MFA, the OP fixates on the missing conjunction in an unofficial letter. So, moving right along...

If using the sworn income affidavit from the US Embassy method, there is no need for 800k baht in a local bank and subsequently no need for a letter from the local bank, etc., etc..

However, in accordance with the clearly published caveat that "Supporting documents of the income may be requested by the immigration officer", the IO may ask to see the updated local bank book (and self-signed copies of certain pages thereof) to confirm that life-sustaining transfers of funds from overseas are evidenced. The fact that the applicant is alive and breathing and seated in front of them is not considered as evidence of such.

There is no need for bankers letter, bank statement, updated bank book and recent ATM activity slip if one is not using the locally seasoned 800k as evidence of funds or not using a mix of overseas income and a lower locally seasoned amount. But the IO may get a wild hair up their keister and ask that the bank book be current or the fresh ATM chitty so be prepared.

The IO may also ask to see provenance of said unseen, foreign income in the form of foreign bank statements. These do not need to be signed, certified or translated and can be either regular mailed bank statements or downloaded/printed ones from online bank access.

Worst case is the IO may also want the affidavit certified by the MFA in Bangkok. Note that this official certification consists of the MFA comparing the name of the US Consular signatory with their list of currently active and registered foreign consular office staff. AFAIK, no Phuket IO's have requested this but hey! there's always a first time. Allegedly this has been standard operating procedure in a few other immigration jurisdictions for several years due to broke-assed applicants forging letters and affidavits. Pretty sure the retirees on the 'island as big as Singapore' are well funded and needn't resort to such skulduggery.

Yes last extension has been mentioned but no response from poster.

Her main focus seems to be asking, rather than answering, and in a very long and repetitive manner................ 

I am also trying very hard to think of anywhere on the island that is 2 hours away from Phuket town

immigration office, unless she is walking?? 

The airport, on the north of the island, is barely 1 hour from Phuket town??? 

Edited by phuketjock
addition
  • Like 1

Just now, PhuketSarah said:

And I, too  started at Phuket IO, and was given en erred requirement sheet which the officer on duty did not wish to clarify, nor expand on a few questions such as who or what certifies documents.  I spent a few hours on a phone trying to locate a notary that wasn't going to cost me 20,000 to do every page in my passport because it is not specific as to what pages.  But .. no notary needed, I just scribble on it and it's certified

It's perfectly reasonable to expect a clearly stated,  error free requirement  list from a governmental entity.

Expecting correct information to be delivered concisely and comprehensively by a local government office flunky will leave you disappointed. Expecting civility requires you to take another number and wait. They, as well as most of us here don't give a hoot if you have to walk to the IO office just around the corner or hike a whole 2 hours each-way either. There are legions of older and probably more unfit pensioners in arguably shittier places than you who have a 2-day round trip to do their annual tribute to Thai pedantry, some have to do it every 90 days. Don't get them started!

Stay focused on the issue at hand which for all intents and purposes seems to have been conclusively nailed shut by several Phuket resident members with fresh, personal experience of filing their extensions successfully in Phuket.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Expecting correct information to be delivered concisely and comprehensively by a local government office flunky will leave you disappointed. Expecting civility requires you to take another number and wait. They, as well as most of us here don't give a hoot if you have to walk to the IO office just around the corner or hike a whole 2 hours each-way either. There are legions of older and probably more unfit pensioners in arguably shittier places than you who have a 2-day round trip to do their annual tribute to Thai pedantry, some have to do it every 90 days. Don't get them started!

Stay focused on the issue at hand which for all intents and purposes seems to have been conclusively nailed shut by several Phuket resident members with fresh, personal experience of filing their extensions successfully in Phuket.

Well this thread has diverged, but is really about just squeezing out 60 -  90  more days so as to transition out.

Question lost in the pile on:   Can I go to Penang and get a new O visa getting 90 days that way?  It would be far  less unpleasant  and likely the same amount of travel time.

Or what about a transit visa? Any knowledge on that topic? 

Edited by PhuketSarah

Or what about a transit visa?

A transit visa only allows a 30 day entry and ti cannot be extended. In order to get one you need a ticket out of the country within those 30 days.

Well this thread has diverged, but is really about just squeezing out 60 -  90  more days so as to transition out .

Question lost in the pile on :  Can go to Penang and get a new O visa getting 90 days that way?  It would be far less unpleasant  and less travel time.  Or what about a transit visa? Any knowledge on that topic? 

You can apply for an "O" visa in Penang. You will have to demonstrate that you are, in fact, retired and that you meet the financial requirements. 

A Transit Visa might be issued if you have flight tickets demonstrating the need for such a visa. 

1 hour ago, PhuketSarah said:

I did a search on Thai Visa and found,

"Certified can be done by the following professional persons.

Qualified Lawyer

Qualified Accountant

Doctor

Govt Official

Bank Manager

Embassy or Consulate"

Although if it was me I would have signed all the copies myself as I think in this case that is what certified means.

26 minutes ago, amvet said:

I did a search on Thai Visa and found,

"Certified can be done by the following professional persons.

Qualified Lawyer

Qualified Accountant

Doctor

Govt Official

Bank Manager

Embassy or Consulate"

Although if it was me I would have signed all the copies myself as I think in this case that is what certified means.

Yes  certified  is just one's signature. I just about had a heart attack figuring it would cost 20, 000 at least to get all pages of my passport certified  but was just another goose chase, turns out it's just copies of  a few  pertinent pages  Would be nice to have that on the  info sheet.  

Certified  should be removed from the info sheet  and replaced with  the actual requirement of signed and the missing  and  blurred out text fixed. 

Gross incompetence. 

OP - consider getting a tourist visa in penang.  you can make a hotel booking and then cancel it at no cost (use booking.com, i see 'free cancellation' for hotels in thailand all the time.  book a $20/nt hotel in buriram).  and buy a one way 'throw away' ticket for your onward travel requirement.  you'll likely want to carry 20,000thb when you return to phuket as the IO at airport may ask for it.  also hope for a short immigration line upon return !!

you could also fly to udon thani from phuket and go to vientiane for a tourist visa.  that would avoid immigration lines at airports.  or forget the tourist visa and come back visa exempt and get that extended in phuket (that will only get you 60 days though).

the trip to immigration in phuket town is probably the easiest as far as logistics go.  however, i can understand how it might be the most frustrating of options (depending on the IO, etc..). 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

A transit visa only allows a 30 day entry and ti cannot be extended. In order to get one you need a ticket out of the country within those 30 days.

Thank you, so much, again.  And just one more question, please? What are the chances of getting a new O visa in Penang ( where I got the first one)? I already have the affidavit. I can fly to Penang more easily than I can drive downtown and then I never, ever have to go to Phuket Immigration again, That would give me 90 days, perfect.

Or would it be better to go to another consulate? 

3 minutes ago, PhuketSarah said:

What are the chances of getting a new O visa in Penang

This question has already been answered at least twice................ Why the repetition? 

IF you meet Penang's requirements there is no reason why a visa would not be issued. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, PhuketSarah said:

Thank you, so much, again.  And just one more question, please? What are the chances of getting a new O visa in Penang ( where I got the first one)? I already have the affidavit.

They will do it since you will have your affidavit.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, NanLaew said:

the OP fixates on the missing conjunction in an unofficial letter....  

Unofficial?  That's the info sheet of requirements I was given by Phuket immigration. I still maintain it is not unreasonable to expect a factual and error free requirement list from such an office. 

Thanks for your  replies though.