Retirement extension expiring, options on getting short term extension ?

3 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

That is entirely your assumption based on an ad-hoc translation of the official MFA instructions.

What MFA instructions. They have nothing to do with immigration they are over the embassies and consulates that issue visas.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, phuketjock said:

My last post, just above Jimi007 should clarify things for you.

The financial requirements in Phuket are no different from the rest of Thailand.

I was away having a late lunch and beer so didn't do a thread refresh before jumping in to help. Thanks for the info.

8 minutes ago, Jimi007 said:

Read the two posts above yours. We have advised her to the latest requirements I did my extension in May at the Phuket Immigration Office and she keeps banging on about nothing! And the income rules as you state are the same everywhere in Thailand. Though I'd much rather live on my end of an island as big as Singapore that your chosen locations! 

Ditto.

..."island as big as Singapore...". 'nuff said.

6 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

What MFA instructions. They have nothing to do with immigration they are over the embassies and consulates that issue visas.

Absolutely correct. I meant the Immigration website... if there is one.

I understand that in lieu of 800k/bank one satisfies the requirements with an Embassy document confirming

monthly income of 65k or above.

Is there any requirement that this income be transferred to Thailand? Or can the monthly income remain where its earned?

5 minutes ago, melvinmelvin said:

Is there any requirement that this income be transferred to Thailand? Or can the monthly income remain where its earned?

There is not written rule that requires you to bring all of the income into the country. But a few offices have asked to see proof of what you are living on and that would require showing at least part of the money is being brought into the country.

3 minutes ago, melvinmelvin said:

I understand that in lieu of 800k/bank one satisfies the requirements with an Embassy document confirming

monthly income of 65k or above.

There is no requirement for the 65K/month to be transferred to Thailand. Immigration may, however, wish for you to demonstrate how and where funds are obtained for daily living expenses.

6 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

The or is missing at the end of that requirement.

It should be 3 or 4 or 5.

yes of course you are correct ; as always; it is pity tho that we have to rewrite/add-on or at least re-interpret their own rules; not that they care

5 hours ago, PhuketSarah said:

Complete rubbish !!  This forum has thousands of members  making the same observation as  mine.

There is a real bias against foreigners.  

I constantly get treated better than Thai people so I agree there is a bias but it is for the most part with most people a positive bias.  For example salary, preference for entry to many places of entertainment and so on. I've never read on this forum anyone suggesting that the 65/800 was anything but an either or proposition or that an embassy letter/with occasional back up was not appropriate documentation.  Of course I've not experienced everything as I have only done 16 yearly retirement extensions in many different Immigration offices all over Thailand.  I stay here because I get treated a lot better than in the USA.  But I can't speak for other countries.

• Like 2

From the Thai Government website:

"A copy of bank statement showing a deposit of the amount equal to and not less than 800,000 Baht or an income certificate (an original copy) with a monthly income of not less than 65,000 Baht, or a deposit account plus a monthly income totalling not less than 800,000 Baht."

End of discussion.

20 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

The only extension you could get is 7 days to leave the country after applying for an extension and having it denied.

The only extension you can apply for is for one year.

Thank you  for that  but clarify please, that 7 days would only be given if  extension was denied?

Another idea - what are my chances are of getting a new O visa at Penang- I have the income affidavit already. If I explain the situation, that I'm transitioning out, need a few months to sell belongings , etc. Then I get 90 days ( or 60? ) 

Is there a better consulate than Penang more likely to grant it?

2 hours ago, Goethe said:

From the Thai Government website:

"A copy of bank statement showing a deposit of the amount equal to and not less than 800,000 Baht or an income certificate (an original copy) with a monthly income of not less than 65,000 Baht, or a deposit account plus a monthly income totalling not less than 800,000 Baht."

End of discussion.

Do you have a link for that, please? 

3 minutes ago, PhuketSarah said:

Do you have a link for that, please? 

I posted this yesterday.

From the page I posted a link to.

The alien:
(1) Must have been granted a non-immigrant visa (NON-IM).
(2) Must be 50 years of age or over.
(3) Must have evidence of having income of no less than Baht 65,000 per month; or
(4) On the filing date, the applicant must have account  deposited  (saving / fixed account) in a bank in Thailand of no less than
Baht 800,000 for the past three months. For the first year only, the applicant must have proof of a
deposit account in which said amount of funds has been maintained for no less than 60 days prior to
the filing date; or
(5) Must have an annual earning and funds deposited with a bank totaling no less than Baht
800,000 as of the filing date.

13 hours ago, YetAnother said:

yes of course you are correct ; as always; it is pity tho that we have to rewrite/add-on or at least re-interpret their own rules; not that they care

I feel they  enjoy causing stress and confusion.  Just look at the blurred text at the end of line 3, what kind of office puts that out on an info sheet, and then treats you rudely, dismissively when  you  ask for clarification. 

All my encounters with IO are unpleasant, stress wrought affairs where I'm treated with a deliberate lack of courtesy and respect.  What it really is about is getting me to use an agent who will share a fee. 

I predict within a year or two, the requirements will suddenly change to 3 million in the bank - perfectly reasonable of course, but how many expats on fixed incomes, having made a life in Thailand will be completely uprooted?  

16 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

There is not written rule that requires you to bring all of the income into the country. But a few offices have asked to see proof of what you are living on and that would require showing at least part of the money is being brought into the country.

On the list of docs,  Bank statement for 3 months, letter from bank affirming the account with amount with same total as bank statement. However, the bank would not put the amount into the letter  so it that another stated requirement that " OK " to not have ? 

Also nothing  on the list  about validity period of that letter, the one I got is now over 7 days.. so  I can safely assume I will (would) need another- and is the statement also to be of a certain age?  

1 minute ago, PhuketSarah said:

On the list of docs,  Bank statement for 3 months, letter from bank affirming the account with amount with same total as bank statement. However, the bank would not put the amount into the letter  so it that another stated requirement that " OK " to not have ? 

Also nothing  on the list  about validity period of that letter, the one I got is now over 7 days.. so  I can safely assume I will (would) need another- and is the statement also to be of a certain age?  

I always get a letter the day before I go to Immigration and get the bank book updated and copied at the same time. 

6 minutes ago, PhuketSarah said:

Those are the requirements if you are using the 800k baht in the bank option.

You have a income affidavit so you don't need it.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, amvet said:

I always get a letter the day before I go to Immigration and get the bank book updated and copied at the same time. 

Thank you, and the Bank Statement? Does it have a validity  period ?  I called the bank and was told it has to be mailed, or I could access it on the internet, but I do not want my account on the internet. 

Edited by PhuketSarah
clarify

13 minutes ago, PhuketSarah said:

I feel they  enjoy causing stress and confusion.  Just look at the blurred text at the end of line 3, what kind of office puts that out on an info sheet, and then treats you rudely, dismissively when  you  ask for clarification. 

All my encounters with IO are unpleasant, stress wrought affairs where I'm treated with a deliberate lack of courtesy and respect.  What it really is about is getting me to use an agent who will share a fee. 

I predict within a year or two, the requirements will suddenly change to 3 million in the bank - perfectly reasonable of course, but how many expats on fixed incomes, having made a life in Thailand will be completely uprooted?  

This is not Germany, it's Thailand.  I am sure the docs are perfect in Germany, and created with great efficiency.  They are probably correct 95% of the time in most USA govt offices, though each one may have cost millions of dollars to create, with costs for processing them reflecting this, and the building where the office is, that cost 10x what a private org would pay to build the same structure. 

Tradeoffs are a part of living abroad.

Thailand  'grandfather-claused' previous increases to retirement extensions (and investment-based extensions), and hopefully, if they make another change, they will do this, again.

Thank you. But I think the letter from the bank is needed   or is it another example of how I'm told to run around for docs I won't need - or will I ? Not at all clear from the req list.  In fact reading that list I will need all of it, the only conjunction is on item 6  re the lease OR house book 

Immig Req 3.jpg

Edited by PhuketSarah
add attach

1 minute ago, JackThompson said:

This is not Germany, it's Thailand.  I am sure the docs are perfect in Germany, and created with great efficiency.  They are probably correct 95% of the time in most USA govt offices, though each one may have cost millions of dollars to create, with costs for processing them reflecting this, and the building where the office is, that cost 10x what a private org would pay to build the same structure. 

Tradeoffs are a part of living abroad.

Thailand  'grandfather-claused' previous increases to retirement extensions (and investment-based extensions), and hopefully, if they make another change, they will do this, again.

You're defending the indefensible with a straw man. 

The fact is I pointed out the blurred text and was dismissed rudely.  

I asked for clarification on what is agreed to be a missing conjunction  and was dismissed rudely. 

What should have happened is an acknowledgement  and a correction.

I'

23 minutes ago, PhuketSarah said:

Thank you, and the Bank Statement? Does it have a validity  period ?  I called the bank and was told it has to be mailed, or I could access it on the internet, but I do not want my account on the internet. 

I get a bank letter to Immigration and update my bank book and copy the opening page of the bank book and at least 3 months of activity and showing the most recent.  I've never gotten a statement although the bank manager would provide one if asked.  Any time I didn't have required paperwork I asked the Thai official to write what was needed on a blank piece of paper that I provided and I took that to the person responsible for giving me the necessary document. 

Edited by amvet
sp

Just now, amvet said:

I get a letter to Immigration and update my bank book and copy the opening page of the bank book and at least 3 months of activity and showing the most recent.  I've never gotten a statement although the bank manager would provide one if asked.  Any time I didn't have required paperwork I asked the Thai official to write what was needed on a blank piece of paper that I provided and I took that to the person responsible for giving me the necessary document. 

Ubon is saying the letter is not needed,  did you use income affidavit, or 800, 000. deposit ?

2 minutes ago, amvet said:

I get a letter to Immigration and update my bank book and copy the opening page of the bank book and at least 3 months of activity and showing the most recent.  I've never gotten a statement although the bank manager would provide one if asked.  Any time I didn't have required paperwork I asked the Thai official to write what was needed on a blank piece of paper that I provided and I took that to the person responsible for giving me the necessary document. 

Ideally the requirement sheet would be correct, and legible. It's almost a 2 hour drive for me.  That's 4 hours I spend on dangerous roads for one trip.  So making multiple trips is not only a PIA, but hazardous and all because the IO  (IMO) deliberately puts out a confusing requirement sheet because it wants me to  use an agent. I'm not spending more than a month's rent on an agent.. Make it a rule to do so,  but they won't because it's all about under the table payments. Two faces. 

6 minutes ago, amvet said:

I use the 800,000 method so the letter is needed for my case. 

OK, so it does not pertain to me, or does it? According to the req sheet ALL is needed for either method. 

Thanks for your  responses  though. 

Edited by PhuketSarah

8 minutes ago, PhuketSarah said:

OK, so it does not pertain to me, or does it? According to the req sheet ALL is needed for either method. 

Thanks for your  responses  though. 

The list of required documents are for the all of the options to meet the financial proof. You choose which are the ones for your option is only number 5..