Dentist overcharging

ronjomtien

18 minutes ago, Chivas said:

They certainly do and I didnt ask either......had 35,000 baht of work over 3 visits and received receipt for it detailing total work on visit 1

I cant imagine too many ask for a receipt for a filling at 500 Baht

I had several visits to Dr Warin for a root canal followed by a crown. Never received one receipt for any of the work, and it's the same (sour puss) receptionist all the time.

What.....??  Why on earth are you making a big deal over such a minor issue. If you dont get receipt and you want one just ask !!  Jesus wept the long winter nights must simply fly by

Get a grip Homer, I'm not making a big deal of it, I just commented that I've never been to a dentist that did not provide a receipt.

On 8/6/2017 at 10:08 PM, KittenKong said:

Most places here seem to charge around 500-800B for a simple clean but for me that's not good enough.

When I get it what I call a proper deep clean done it generally costs around 1200B per jaw as I need injections and they take over an hour to do each jaw. They do it on two different days.

Back in Europe the same thing used to cost about 5000B for both jaws and took around an hour in total, done in one go.

Have you considered that your deep cleaning causes unnecessary tooth erosion? You've mentioned this on a number of dentist threads in the past - about this super-cleaning that you get done. I don't know why you think a regular clean by a good dentist, every 6 months is not sufficient. All tooth cleaning causes a certain amount of erosion. 

Getting back to costs here. Dr. Warin Leekpai charges 600 baht. It recently went up from 500. That's a 100 baht increase since 2008 when I first started going there. He gets my vote as the best dentist in Pattaya. Last week my wife had a problem. He's very busy and we had to go there to see if he could squeeze in an inspection in between his many patients. He saw her twice (on 2 separate days - no appointment). The cost? Zero baht. That included an X-ray and some pain medication. We didn't expect that.

6 hours ago, giddyup said:

I had several visits to Dr Warin for a root canal followed by a crown. Never received one receipt for any of the work, and it's the same (sour puss) receptionist all the time.

He will gladly provide one if asked. I don't bother with one for a clean or something minor, but I do for crowns etc. 

1 minute ago, tropo said:

He will gladly provide one if asked. I don't bother with one for a clean or something minor, but I do for crowns etc. 

I have found it's pretty much the norm for dentists to provide a receipt without asking, so not sure why they want you to ask, unless it's to lighten the work load for that happy receptionist.

On 8/11/2017 at 6:42 PM, bmanly said:

I paid 500 baht for a scale and clean at a dentist on Pattaya Klang. I was in the chair 40 minutes and she did a great job.

Here is the location: Dentist

That's Dr Warin Leekpai's (and wife's) dental clinic. You're probably due for a clean because it has been 600 baht for the last year or longer.:smile:

Just now, giddyup said:

I have found it's pretty much the norm for dentists to provide a receipt without asking, so not sure why they want you to ask, unless it's to lighten the work load for that happy receptionist.

How many dentists do you visit? He's the only one I've used in Pattaya, and it's as I mentioned above. Ask and receive. He does such amazing work I'm quite happy to not take a receipt if that helps him.

7 minutes ago, tropo said:

How many dentists do you visit? He's the only one I've used in Pattaya, and it's as I mentioned above. Ask and receive. He does such amazing work I'm quite happy to not take a receipt if that helps him.

At least 6 different ones in Pattaya over the years. I'm afraid I was less than enthralled with the work Dr Warin did for me. I went to him because of the many glowing reports, but he seemed rushed and overworked to me, and the results were less than satisfactory.

Just now, giddyup said:

At least 6 different ones in Pattaya over the years. I'm afraid I was less than enthralled with the work Dr Warin did for me. I went to him because of the many glowing reports, but he seemed rushed and overworked to me, and the results were less than satisfactory.

My wife and I have both used him for 9 years and counting. He's the best dentist I've had in my life, by far (that's including dentists in quite a number of countries). I've never felt rushed, ever. Last week when we went to see him without an appointment we had to wait over an hour for him to finish with just one patient. He's not rushing. He'll even take time out for a short chat if you feel that way inclined. He'll also take time out to explain anything to you about his procedures.

There's a good reason why he's always busy.

He tries his best to save you money too. I had a huge filling fall out of a tooth a couple of years ago. Instead of suggesting a crown, which is what most dentists would have done, he suggested he fill it and see how it goes first. It's still in there after 2 1/2 years.

2 hours ago, tropo said:

Have you considered that your deep cleaning causes unnecessary tooth erosion? You've mentioned this on a number of dentist threads in the past - about this super-cleaning that you get done. I don't know why you think a regular clean by a good dentist, every 6 months is not sufficient. All tooth cleaning causes a certain amount of erosion. 

I have no problems with my teeth. I have just a few small fillings and no crowns. Erosion not a problem either. My teeth are as tough as nails and the enamel is thick and strong.
But I have had big problems with gum disease going back several decades. My dentist warned me nearly 40 years ago that the only mouth problems I would ever have would be gum disease, and he was absolutely right. Gum disease, if left untreated, can cause the bone to decay and the teeth to loosen and eventually need to be pulled out.

I brush twice a day, floss twice a day, and I use various types of strong antibacterial mouthwash twice daily but still I need to get my teeth deep-cleaned every few months if I want to keep gum disease at bay. All this on the specific advice of four different fully qualified dentists in four different countries. I think they know what they are talking about.
This cleaning has nothing to do with keeping the teeth white, which is probably what causes the erosion you mention. This cleaning is mostly at or below the gum line, and in inaccessible and invisible areas like between the teeth. Though Thai dentists do seem to have a lot of trouble understanding that I simply dont care about the visual aspect of the result and that the only thing I'm interested in is getting the gum line scaled well.

Believe me, getting my teeth cleaned is by far the most unpleasant experience that has ever happened to me in 60+ years. I could not possibly have it done without a lot of local anaesthetic and if I could possibly avoid the cleaning I certainly would. It's also quite expensive: around 2000+B here and around 5000+B in Europe. But even so I put up with it because the alternative is worse: many lost teeth and many implants.

https://www.efp.org/patients/what-is-periodontitis.html

3 minutes ago, KittenKong said:

I have no problems with my teeth. I have just a few small fillings and no crowns. Erosion not a problem either. My teeth are as tough as nails and the enamel is thick and strong.
But I have had big problems with gum disease going back several decades. My dentist warned me nearly 40 years ago that the only mouth problems I would ever have would be gum disease, and he was absolutely right. Gum disease, if left untreated, can cause the bone to decay and the teeth to loosen and eventually need to be pulled out.

I brush twice a day, floss twice a day, and I use various types of strong antibacterial mouthwash twice daily but still I need to get my teeth deep-cleaned every few months if I want to keep gum disease at bay. All this on the specific advice of four different fully qualified dentists in four different countries. I think they know what they are talking about.
This cleaning has nothing to do with keeping the teeth white, which is probably what causes the erosion you mention. This cleaning is mostly at or below the gum line, and in inaccessible and invisible areas like between the teeth. Though Thai dentists do seem to have a lot of trouble understanding that I simply dont care about the visual aspect of the result and that the only thing I'm interested in is getting the gum line scaled well.

Believe me, getting my teeth cleaned is by far the most unpleasant experience that has ever happened to me in 60+ years. I could not possibly have it done without a lot of local anaesthetic and if I could possibly avoid the cleaning I certainly would. It's also quite expensive: around 2000+B here and around 5000+B in Europe. But even so I put up with it because the alternative is worse: many lost teeth and many implants.

It would seem like this gum disease would offer warning signs and not occur spontaneously. Have you ever tried just normal cleaning to see how it goes? It sounds like you're OCD about your teeth and gums and overdoing it.

Of course, what do I know. 4 dentists have told you that you need to spend this money every 2 months. That's a great earn.

1 hour ago, tropo said:

It would seem like this gum disease would offer warning signs and not occur spontaneously.

Did you read the link?

But please dont just believe that particular website. Try any one of about 4,000,000:

https://www.google.co.th/search?safe=off&client=firefox-b&q=Periodontitis

1 hour ago, tropo said:

Have you ever tried just normal cleaning to see how it goes?

Of course. It doesnt work. Try reading the links where you will learn why.

1 hour ago, tropo said:

4 dentists have told you that you need to spend this money every 2 months. That's a great earn.

Not really. Most of the dentists in question dont actually do that work themselves, and they would all earn vastly more out of me by letting the gum disease take hold. However to do that would be unprofessional and, in all civilised countries where I have lived, highly reprehensible if not criminal.

And it's closer to every four months than every two months. And it does work.

5 hours ago, tropo said:

Deep cleaning for gum problems is not the same thing as a general clean. A regular dentist doesn't usually do it. Needs a periodontist. Where I go there are maybe twenty dentists but only a couple do deep cleaning for gum problems. Ask your own dentist next time. He will tell you the same. 

So, your teeth are ok, but you got to have your gums out.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

10 hours ago, KittenKong said:

Did you read the link?

But please dont just believe that particular website. Try any one of about 4,000,000:

https://www.google.co.th/search?safe=off&client=firefox-b&q=Periodontitis

Yes, I had a quick skim through it... but I'm not going to do a full research on the disease at this point. Perhaps you've developed hypochondria of the teeth.

13 hours ago, SheungWan said:

There are so many dentists in Pattaya that if one feels the slightest dissatisfaction with the service on any single visit, just move on to the next one.

I disagree. You're better off with devil you know than the one you don't. Even better, take recommendations from members who have some experience with certain dentists. That's better than going in blind and experimenting with your teeth.

I came back from overseas with a huge hole after one of my fillings came out (it was a very old one - not one of his fillings). Dr Warin was on vacation when I returned. Rather than look for a new dentist, I waited a month to see Dr Warin.

1 hour ago, tropo said:

I disagree. You're better off with devil you know than the one you don't. Even better, take recommendations from members who have some experience with certain dentists. That's better than going in blind and experimenting with your teeth.

I came back from overseas with a huge hole after one of my fillings came out (it was a very old one - not one of his fillings). Dr Warin was on vacation when I returned. Rather than look for a new dentist, I waited a month to see Dr Warin.

According to your story you did not return to a dentist you were dissatisfied with, you waited for a dentist you are happy with. So that does not fit the 'devil you know criteria'. Unless you wish that to apply to the surgery rather than the individual dentist. As for individual recommendations, I have found that every expat seems comes out of the woodwork to recommend their own dentist as the greatest, the cheapest etc in the world but a little pinch of salt required here. The one recommendation I did take was from the hospital who no longer do root canals and I pushed the dentist to make one. In Pattaya Klang where there are loads of dentists. General dentist standards pretty good I have found in Thailand so not really a life and death choice IMHO.

2 hours ago, SheungWan said:

According to your story you did not return to a dentist you were dissatisfied with, you waited for a dentist you are happy with. So that does not fit the 'devil you know criteria'. Unless you wish that to apply to the surgery rather than the individual dentist. As for individual recommendations, I have found that every expat seems comes out of the woodwork to recommend their own dentist as the greatest, the cheapest etc in the world but a little pinch of salt required here. The one recommendation I did take was from the hospital who no longer do root canals and I pushed the dentist to make one. In Pattaya Klang where there are loads of dentists. General dentist standards pretty good I have found in Thailand so not really a life and death choice IMHO.

The most highly recommended dentist (by far) on this forum is the one I see - and that's why I see him. I would rather take a recommendation from long-term forum members than just walk into any clinic. It's easy enough to sort out the genuine recommendations from the useless ones.

7 hours ago, SheungWan said:

.... in Pattaya Klang where there are loads of dentists. General dentist standards pretty good I have found in Thailand .....

I dont agree. There are some decent ones but there is also a lot of incompetent dross.

In my experience this is the exact opposite of Western Europe.

58 minutes ago, KittenKong said:
8 hours ago, SheungWan said:

.... in Pattaya Klang where there are loads of dentists. General dentist standards pretty good I have found in Thailand .....

I dont agree. There are some decent ones but there is also a lot of incompetent dross.

In my experience this is the exact opposite of Western Europe.

I suppose that would depend on the country you're comparing them with. They could be better, for example, than dentists in Nigeria or Zimbabwe.

To make a general comparison of dental standards in Thailand you'd have to visit many, which indicates none are very good because why else would you try many.

Archived