Hard to get a nice visa as a westerner.....

Bullie

Went to my national Thai embassy today, since consulates appearently are no longer allowed to make the "big decisions" concerning the nicer visa on offer. Previously I always managed to acquire a non-o multiple visa on grounds of being retired  without any problems, just showing a big chunk of money in the bank, and being over 50.

Now, everything has changed. One can get such a visa still, but then has to go on to prove by means of a government-issued affadavit that one really, truly is retired, no matter how rich. And that, of course can only be proven when one is over 66 years old in the Netherlands. No matter, I decided to pull another trick out of the hat, and showed my marriage papers and my son's Thai birthcertificate. That, surely, should be the way to the much prized non-o based on marriage with someone legally residing in the Kingdom!

Alas, after much deliberation (my papers even were sent upstairs!!) it was decided that, although my wife and  Thailand born son have lived their whole life in Thailand (my wife is 47) they are, in fact, Cambodian refugees who were given TEMPORARY residence 47 years ago and are therefore not really permanent redidents of Thailand.

Not one to be deterred easily,  I then homed in on the multiple tourist visa. Surely , with a bit of fiddlin' it could serve me for 6 months! This, again, was denied on the grounds that I was not legally employed by anyone. My protestations that, being a relatively wealthy man, at 61 I was not hankering to be employed by anyone, never have been for the las 40 years in fact, and would just like to be a tourist, enjoying himself through a long cold winter on the shores of the Land of Smiles, went unheard.

The only thing offered in the end, was either a 2 month tourist visa (at the extortionate price of 60 euro's ) or a 3 month non-o single entry at the same price, with the understanding that I would transfer 800.000 baht to a Thai bank account.` in order to stay in the Kingdom legally.

Now this, does not suit me at all.  I don't like a sum as large as that tied up in a country I visit regularly, but don't really live in.

The basic question I have, is: why is the Thai government making it so hard to visit Thailand for a longer period of time for semi-retirees? Surely, we bring in more money that the average Chinese, or Indian visitor? What is the long term plan here?

Me, I'm considering options now to bring my family out of Thailand. Permanently.

10 hours ago, Bullie said:

I don't like a sum as large as that tied up in a country I visit regularly, but don't really live in.

The money only has to stay in the bank account for 3 months. Then you can withdraw it, spend it or give it to your family.