World's oldest man, Holocaust survivor, dies in Israel aged 113

rooster59

World's oldest man, Holocaust survivor, dies in Israel aged 113

JERUSALEM (Reuters) - Holocaust survivor Israel Kristal, who last year was recognised by Guinness World Records as the world's oldest living man, died in Israel on Friday, aged 113, local news media reports said.

Guinness said Kristal was born in Poland on Sept. 15, 1903, and survived the Auschwitz death camp, where his first wife, two children and other family members were killed by the Nazis. He married again after the war and moved to Israel in 1950.

Kristal was awarded a Guinness certificate as the world's oldest man on March 11, 2016, when he was 112 years and 178 days old. He died on Friday in the northern port city of Haifa aged 113 years and 330 days, Israeli reports said.

Jeanne Calment, a French woman, had the longest confirmed human lifespan, according to Guinness. She died in 1997 at the age of 122.

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2017-08-12

3 minutes ago, johnnysunshine said:

What B.S.   Threre are so many alive older than 113 in our world...who has the job of counting and how many of the billions on our Planet Earth are counted vs. how many are not on any lists to be counted.

OK, name them 

He was 3.5 yrs older than my dad, who died at 92.   My dad assisted the Danish underground movement, during WWII.   Here's something to do:  find one or more elders, and ask them to tell some stories.   I bet they've got a treasure trove full.  Get your kids and grandkids to do the same - it will give them a slight respite from staring at their digital devices for half their waking hours, each day.

1 hour ago, johnnysunshine said:

What B.S.   Threre are so many alive older than 113 in our world...who has the job of counting and how many of the billions on our Planet Earth are counted vs. how many are not on any lists to be counted.

Quick Google:

The oldest Japanese person on record was Misao Okawa who died on 1 April 2015 at the age of 117 years, 27 days. The oldest verified man was Jiroemon Kimura who died on 12 June 2013 at the age of 116 years, 54 days.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Japanese_supercentenarians

39 minutes ago, johnnysunshine said:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/oldest-person-ever-lived-experts-3865447 shows someone who is living at 126 but this is only the recorded one as many have lived much longer...especially before people started counting.

Although they just took a guess at old he was , based on his memories .

He wasnt documented when he was born and didnt get a birth certificate , so, its not counted

On Saturday, August 12, 2017 at 1:31 PM, boomerangutang said:

He was 3.5 yrs older than my dad, who died at 92.   My dad assisted the Danish underground movement, during WWII.   Here's something to do:  find one or more elders, and ask them to tell some stories.   I bet they've got a treasure trove full.  Get your kids and grandkids to do the same - it will give them a slight respite from staring at their digital devices for half their waking hours, each day.

You are so right , kids ask grandad about his younger days. I wish I had . My grandad was from Germany , he was interned  throughout WW 1 in Alexandra Palace in London , I only found out from my mother after he had died in '77.