Trump to call for China IT trade probe on Monday - Politico

rooster59

Trump to call for China IT trade probe on Monday - Politico

640x640 (8).jpg

U.S. President Donald Trump speaks to reporters after meeting with Secretary of State Rex Tillerson, U.S. Ambassador to the United Nations Nikki Haley and National Security Adviser H.R. McMaster at Trump's golf estate in Bedminster, New Jersey U.S. August 11, 2017. 

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. President Donald Trump will call on Monday for his chief trade adviser to investigate China's intellectual property practices, website Politico reported, citing an unnamed administration official.

Trump had been expected to order a so-called Section 301 investigation under the 1974 Trade Act earlier this month, but action had been postponed as the White House pressed for China's cooperation in reining in North Korea's nuclear program.

Politico said it was not clear how much detail Trump would provide in his announcement, but that administration officials expected U.S. Trade Representative Robert Lighthizer to open a section 301 probe.

Officials at the White House and U.S. Trade Representative's office were not immediately available for comment.

Trump has suggested he would go easier on China if it were more forceful in getting North Korea to rein in its nuclear weapons program.

While China joined in a unanimous UN Security Council decision to tighten economic sanctions on Pyongyang over its long-range missile tests, it is not clear whether Trump thinks Beijing is doing enough.

"We lose hundreds of billions of dollars a year on trade with China. They know how I feel," he told reporters on Thursday. "If China helps us, I feel a lot different toward trade."

Trump will make a day trip to Washington, D.C., on Monday, briefly interrupting his 17-day August working vacation, a White House official said on Friday.

Politico said the investigation would not mean immediate sanctions, but would ultimately lead to steep tariffs on Chinese goods.

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2017-08-12

Looks like a warning shot meant to prod China into taking a more active role on the DPRK kerfuffle?

would ultimately lead to steep tariffs on Chinese goods.

This would negatively impact U.S. consumers, but maybe the tariffs could be used to build a wall, any wall, a great wall the likes of which the world has never seen.

Edited by mtls2005

Lobbyists said Trump was right to criticize China on trade, but they expressed concern about general disorganization and inconsistency at the White House and warned that Trump might make matters worse with China if he follows through.

http://www.businessinsider.com/r-us-businesses-fear-trump-mishandling-of-china-ip-trade-probe-2017-8/?r=AU&IR=T

This is one issue I can agree on~although I don't believe he can do it right.  The Chinese are making all of the rules, and stealing intellectual property and info in the process.  The subsides from the government need to be addressed as well.  Everyone is terrified that the government will lock them out, so they concede everything for relatively short term gains.  There are many issues on this subject, but it should be addressed

This is one issue I can agree on~although I don't believe he can do it right.  The Chinese are making all of the rules, and stealing intellectual property and info in the process.  The subsides from the government need to be addressed as well.  Everyone is terrified that the government will lock them out, so they concede everything for relatively short term gains.  There are many issues on this subject, but it should be addressed

The US government subsidizes exports, steals intellectual property and threatens to shut businesses down, what's the difference?

On 8/19/2017 at 0:50 PM, mogandave said:

The US government subsidizes exports, steals intellectual property and threatens to shut businesses down, what's the difference?

I believe the levels of involvement are much different levels.  All countries subsidies at least agriculture.  Do your homework, and you will see the difference.  Chinese state owned corporations are huge.  You did know it a communist country right?

I believe the levels of involvement are much different levels.  All countries subsidies at least agriculture.  Do your homework, and you will see the difference.  Chinese state owned corporations are huge.  You did know it a communist country right?

What you may or may not believe is of no real interest.

What huge state owned corporations? You mean like GM?

On 12/08/2017 at 6:35 AM, mtls2005 said:

Looks like a warning shot meant to prod China into taking a more active role on the DPRK kerfuffle?

would ultimately lead to steep tariffs on Chinese goods.

This would negatively impact U.S. consumers, but maybe the tariffs could be used to build a wall, any wall, a great wall the likes of which the world has never seen.

It needs to happen and for all trumps negative he knows without china's support and adherence to Intellectual property we are f uked. I hate the guy but he is right China needs to regulate it's manufacturing output and bring a sense of pride to MIC manufacturing.

If he got them on board with this alone he is a God but all the other shiit is just that 

On 08/19/2017 at 11:20 AM, mogandave said:

You should study this a bit more. Huge difference.  Even the EU has been going after this for a long time. One of but many articles.

http://www.europeanchamber.com.cn/en/national-news/111/eu_issues_threat_to_china_over_trade_gap

15 minutes ago, mogandave said:

Please stop with the off-topic trolling, it's nothing but diversion.

The thread is about China, not North Korea.

Partly my mistake. Meant to put in China. Still, many big companies in China are owned by the government. You brought up GM. Which is a  private company. Off topic and trolling also.

http://fortune.com/2015/07/22/china-global-500-government-owned/

Maybe the mods can delete all these posts.

Partly my mistake. Meant to put in China. Still, many big companies in China are owned by the government. You brought up GM. Which is a  private company.

GM (Government Motors) is not a private company, it's a public company subsidized by the US government.

What are some of the companies owned by China that are competing unfairly with US companies?

He I read this morning where GM has entered into a 50-50 JV with a Chinese automaker to build plug-in electric cars.

4 hours ago, mogandave said:

GM (Government Motors) is not a private company, it's a public company subsidized by the US government.

What are some of the companies owned by China that are competing unfairly with US companies?

He I read this morning where GM has entered into a 50-50 JV with a Chinese automaker to build plug-in electric cars.

I think we can dispense with the discussion of General Motors.   It is a multinational company.   I believe that Buicks are primarily built in China.