Bus rams at rear of trailer killing one, injuring 14 others in Pak Chong

webfact

Bus rams at rear of trailer killing one, injuring 14 others in Pak Chong 

By Thai PBS

G0DL5oPyrtt5HBAi37SDLh8MNOf7I2CynQn6XP3z

KORAT: -- One passenger was killed and over a dozen others were injured when an interprovincial bus rammed at the rear of a parawood truck on the Friendship Highway known as Mittraphap in Pak Chong district of Nakhon Ratchasima province before dawn Monday.

The bus which belongs to Roong Prasert Tour Co Ltd was on the way from Ubon Ratchathani province to Bangkok, while the truck was from Udon Thani to deliver the parawood to factory in Kaeng Koi district of Saraburi.

According to Pak Chong district station police, the bus driver Chalerm Somthaisong said he didn’t see the truck while he was driving along the highway in Pak Chong.

Full story:  http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/bus-rams-rear-trailer-killing-one-injuring-14-others-pak-chong/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2017-08-14

However the truck driver didn’t turn on any lights to warn other vehicles  sharing the same road, thus causing a fatal accident.

Most Thai even don't know what the hazardlights are for...what even policecars don't know how to use their lights properly.

So blame it all on lack of education...maybe he didn't have a driverslicense at all...wouldn't surprise me.

51 minutes ago, Briggsy said:

"Stopped in the middle lane of the Mitraphap Highway with no lights on whilst he negotiated a compensation payment with a taxi driver."

The brainlessness is mind-boggling.

Their brains can only process that if I can see them, they can see me...

Can see many drivers here driving without lights or just parking lights in the twilight.

4 hours ago, Thian said:

Most Thai even don't know what the hazardlights are for...what even policecars don't know how to use their lights properly.

It amazes me the number of Thais that switch on their hazard lights when approaching a junction; where do they learn this from!  However, the majority use them when triple parking outside 7/11 so they don't have to walk too far to buy their fags.

Now, we have a truck driver who doesn't use them when needed; no wonder there's so much carnage on the road!

19 minutes ago, cardinalblue said:

I am dumbfounded of why Thais continue still to drive with parking lights on during dusk....

you would think DMV would try to change this inappropriate behavior thru new/renewal testing...anyone know if it is addressed?

The issue is probably this.

I am afraid in my experience Thai drivers only ever think of themselves - very little courtesy to other drivers, so at twilight instead of using their lights so others can see them, they think "I can see OK so why do I need my lights on".

6 hours ago, Briggsy said:

"Stopped in the middle lane of the Mitraphap Highway with no lights on whilst he negotiated a compensation payment with a taxi driver."

The brainlessness is mind-boggling.

Right?!
I encounter these anencephalic drivers all the damned time. Parked in the middle of traffic lanes when there is an empty parking lot immediately adjacent.  Pull out into traffic with nary a glance for oncoming traffic or a notion about signalling.
Some of the "professional" drivers in the US, Canada, etc., are not much better, but it is not as a matter of course.

28 minutes ago, Negita43 said:

I am afraid in my experience Thai drivers only ever think of themselves - very little courtesy to other drivers, so at twilight instead of using their lights so others can see them, they think "I can see OK so why do I need my lights on".

Or a really weird lack of knowledge.
It took some very vociferous corrections on my part to teach my girlfriend how to turn the damned headlights on in her brand new car. She thought that by turning the headlight switch one click that she had turned on the headlights.

Obviously not covered in either her driver "training" or by the dealership when she took delivery of her brand new car, which did not look brand new for very long. Not her fault really, but I think a very Thai attitude about any instruction. Say it or demonstrate it one time, and of course that should be enough. Nationally ADHD and near zero patience.
I often let things go, but I will endure the wrath in a case like this, "No you ARE wrong", if it will keep her from becoming a bug splat on the front of a bus.

53 minutes ago, Negita43 said:

A Thai once told me that driving with headlights increases your home electricity bill. Not sure how widespread that perception is, but he insisted "everybody knows that".

54 minutes ago, Negita43 said:

Absolutely agree…this is also why they never use their indicators. Indicators are to warn or to inform other motorists what you are intending to do…...but as you say they only think of themselves.

5 minutes ago, halloween said:

A Thai once told me that driving with headlights increases your home electricity bill. Not sure how widespread that perception is, but he insisted "everybody knows that".

You didn't know that?

I suppose you don't know also that having a Thai girlfriend increases your bank balance

Every Farang (I guess that'll get edited) knows that - how :post-4641-1156694572:long have you been here?

2 hours ago, Moti24 said:

It amazes me the number of Thais that switch on their hazard lights when approaching a junction; where do they learn this from!  However, the majority use them when triple parking outside 7/11 so they don't have to walk too far to buy their fags.

Now, we have a truck driver who doesn't use them when needed; no wonder there's so much carnage on the road!

Yep, gets me too. But how about this; the hazard lights are the left and right indicators flashing at the same time...since you can't left and right at the same time it must mean straight on. Parking? I am going straight on but I've stopped....nah can't be that...surely?

58 minutes ago, twozeds said:

Absolutely agree…this is also why they never use their indicators. Indicators are to warn or to inform other motorists what you are intending to do…...but as you say they only think of themselves.

Oh they do use their indicators - usually after they have made their move (could be they're really crafty  cos if there is an accident their flashing indicator can be seen)

7 hours ago, Moti24 said:

If the Thai flash the headlights and turn on the hazard lights they are in "policemode" and won't stop for anything at the junction.

Where i learned that from? From a neighbour who is a nurse at the airforce.

Also maybe 1 in 10 cars uses the indicatorlights properly....very dangerous and immature.

13 hours ago, cardinalblue said:

I am dumbfounded of why Thais continue still to drive with parking lights on during dusk....

you would think DMV would try to change this inappropriate behavior thru new/renewal testing...anyone know if it is addressed?

You are assuming that the DMV know how to drive. Bad assumption