Never been to Issan. Is there anything really worth seeing there?

thaibeachlovers

12 minutes ago, Justgrazing said:

And don't forget to take in a bit of Bullfighting where you'll be able to mingle with some of the real " earthy  " people of Isaan .. 

_20170816_102005.JPG

Where in Isaan are the bullfights ?

I know it's a big deal way down south in Songkhla Province

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, ALFREDO said:

"my 20+ rai of Isaan"

Yours? How you do that,  that it is yours?  :whistling:  :unsure: :wink:

3 hours ago, ALFREDO said:

My dear -Ace of Pop- 

I wrote about the 20Rai of land "owned" by -Jip99- he surely has no cheapest land in the far behind jungle - when he stay there, lives there I think.

Anyway -its not about what it is worth - its the ownership that made me ask him - how he did that - owning land in Thailand -

so in his name.  :smile:

Hi Alfredo,

Of course we can't own land here in Thailand; I didn't say that I 'owned' it. I refer to it as 'mine' because I have the legal right to use it and the land can only be sold subject to my interest (which is recorded on the chanote). I do own 2 motorcycle and a pick up, but that's it I am afraid. ?

Ace of Pop needs to bone up on Isaan land prices ?....  10 rai of neighboring land changed hands for an alleged 2m Baht.

Very common up here for land to change hands at 200,000 and 300,000 baht per rai.

The Thais sit dreaming that every piece of land near a road will be bought by PTT or Tesco Lotus and they will then be rich.

Unfortunately as those dreams fade, they fall foul to borrowing from the Thai Chinese moneylenders and lose rheir land for a fraction of its value due to the fact they have taken out loans, have no income and no means of paying it back.

Add back drunken husbands frittering away land that was in their wives inheritance on white whisky, various gambling and cock fighting, sons with drug problems, daughters getting pregnant to young boys at 14 and 15; you can see why they end up with nothing.

Sent from my SM-A500F using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

18 minutes ago, Scouse123 said:

Very common up here for land to change hands at 200,000 and 300,000 baht per rai.

The Thais sit dreaming that every piece of land near a road will be bought by PTT or Tesco Lotus and they will then be rich.

Unfortunately as those dreams fade, they fall foul to borrowing from the Thai Chinese moneylenders and lose rheir land for a fraction of its value due to the fact they have taken out loans, have no income and no means of paying it back.

Add back drunken husbands frittering away land that was in their wives inheritance on white whisky, various gambling and cock fighting, sons with drug problems, daughters getting pregnant to young boys at 14 and 15; you can see why they end up with nothing.

Spot on Scouse......... I am pretty sure the neighbors land went for over 2.5m but I didn't want Ace of Pop to think I was exaggerating ?

A few few years back a friend helped a local Chinese moneylender to organize his chanotes; he had 487 - most acquired as a result of Thais defaulting on loans. They have no concept of planned repayment and certainly no idea the 5/6/7% per month that is charged is illegal. The maximum should be 15% p.a. (although a local land office recently said 18% when forcing a moneylender to reduce his interest charge).

8 hours ago, Jip99 said:

Hi Alfredo,

Of course we can't own land here in Thailand; I didn't say that I 'owned' it. I refer to it as 'mine' because I have the legal right to use it and the land can only be sold subject to my interest (which is recorded on the chanote). I do own 2 motorcycle and a pick up, but that's it I am afraid. ?

Ace of Pop needs to bone up on Isaan land prices ?....  10 rai of neighboring land changed hands for an alleged 2m Baht.

Right :smile: you know well I was only -teasing- you about that -mine-  :tongue:

A Poster who isnt Newbie at last..Spot on !!.?

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Ferangs are buying land around 800,000 baht/rai here in Bueng Kan.

21 minutes ago, Kadilo said:

Definitely not disputing what you say and it's quite possible.

You will be well aware that it only takes one foreigner to pay what the Thais ask, and as soon as they see a white face the price is vastly inflated, and then that plot is held up by the locals, wrongly, as a true value of the land in that locality.

Even trying to stay in the background and getting your wife./partner/girlfriend to negotiate on your behalf does not work as the Thais cannot hold their own piss, they are such nosy buggers and blabbermouths as they have nothing else to do in the sticks except gossip.

Their lack of understanding does not seem to stretch and differentiate between what is usable and good land in a potentially great location to bottom of the pile farmland that has not even been raised to road level and will cost the same amount again as the purchase price to do so.

The area where I live has gone very quickly from a sleepy quiet rural area to more or less a mini city overnight with a brand new Tesco Lotus, Big C, four/five banks, giant PTT stations and numerous resorts, bars and restaurants, all in the last three years. No doubt the Thais around here will be asking millions of baht in the near future for useless land.

You can tell  the ' noveau rich ' as we now have a plentiful supply of empty Chinese shop houses for rent that nobody wants, and an endless row of shops all selling plastic tupperware, garden tables and stools and cheap tacky bedroom furniture like all the big cities in Isaarn.

Depends on what they want it for.If they, or anyone else needs a Reality Check , go to Bkk Bank , see the Houses n Land they have for sale, try get a Loan against your land , then go home and realise you been had.?[emoji383]

As long as the land is filled with soil, on an actual half decent road (not a dirt track), and anywhere half close to a town (with your Big C, Tesco, government buildings), it is not uncommon for people to be offering a bit of money. 

The father-in-law 3-4 years ago was going to accept an offer of now the wife's current land where we live (but didn't as we decided I would move to Thai), for 1.2 million for the rai. Whereas trying to sell one of his farms which is a few minutes down the road, but on a dirt track, he is finding quite difficult without the road. People tell him if it gets a road they will buy it. 

Definitely not disputing what you say and it's quite possible.

You will be well aware that it only takes one foreigner to pay what the Thais ask, and as soon as they see a white face the price is vastly inflated, and then that plot is held up by the locals, wrongly, as a true value of the land in that locality.

Even trying to stay in the background and getting your wife./partner/girlfriend to negotiate on your behalf does not work as the Thais cannot hold their own piss, they are such nosy buggers and blabbermouths as they have nothing else to do in the sticks except gossip.

Their lack of understanding does not seem to stretch and differentiate between what is usable and good land in a potentially great location to bottom of the pile farmland that has not even been raised to road level and will cost the same amount again as the purchase price to do so.

The area where I live has gone very quickly from a sleepy quiet rural area to more or less a mini city overnight with a brand new Tesco Lotus, Big C, four/five banks, giant PTT stations and numerous resorts, bars and restaurants, all in the last three years. No doubt the Thais around here will be asking millions of baht in the near future for useless land.

You can tell  the ' noveau rich ' as we now have a plentiful supply of empty Chinese shop houses for rent that nobody wants, and an endless row of shops all selling plastic tupperware, garden tables and stools and cheap tacky bedroom furniture like all the big cities in Isaarn.

Spot on. There is definitely an influx of ferang in this village and surrounding area. As you say a couple have paid the rate asked so it becomes the norm. I enquirer myself for a couple of plots and was quoted anything from 650-850,000
With here I think people are speculating now the go ahead has been given for an airport. The plots I mentioned have a lot gong for them as in location, view, facilities etc but as we all know they will never own it but then again a lot don't seem to be that bothered.

Depends on what they want it for.If they, or anyone else needs a Reality Check , go to Bkk Bank , see the Houses n Land they have for sale, try get a Loan against your land , then go home and realise you been had.?[emoji383]

Good advice.

Oh visits is fine , i lived there 30 years ago , but its still a Gastronomic Dessert, and the best places of interest are soon done.
My fav was the 3 Color River and the paintings down the canyon .

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Gastronomic Dessert !, that's funny [emoji23]

Whilst I would be the first to admit I am no expert on Issan I do agree it is beautiful in fact I am currently about 40 minutes drive from Surin in a small village visiting the outlaws.

The temple's at the world heritage site were truly stunning for the moment I forget there names.

5 minutes ago, Waterloo said:

Whilst I would be the first to admit I am no expert on Issan I do agree it is beautiful in fact I am currently about 40 minutes drive from Surin in a small village visiting the outlaws.

The temple's at the world heritage site were truly stunning for the moment I forget there names.

Are you sure that you are not getting confused with Cambodia ?

As far as I was aware (and that's not saying much) there are no World Heritage sites within 40 minutes of Surin.

9 minutes ago, Waterloo said:

Have you ever traveled our planet....?                    

35 minutes ago, Jip99 said:

Are you sure that you are not getting confused with Cambodia ?

As far as I was aware (and that's not saying much) there are no World Heritage sites within 40 minutes of Surin.

I said I was currently 40 minutes from Surin not the temple's and there I stand corrected as I was mis informed by what I assume was over optimism at the time as the site was proposed for future recognition to UNESCO in 2005.

I was thinking of Phanom Rung, as for Cambodia at present I have not had the pleasure a short coming I am going to rectify in a few days time

12 minutes ago, Waterloo said:

I said I was currently 40 minutes from Surin not the temple's and there I stand corrected as I was mis informed by what I assume was over optimism at the time as the site was proposed for future recognition to UNESCO in 2005.

I was thinking of Phanom Rung, as for Cambodia at present I have not had the pleasure a short coming I am going to rectify in a few days time

If you liked Phanom Rung (and prasat hin Muang Tam) you will love Angkor Wat near Siem Reap. -  same builders...

5 minutes ago, Jip99 said:

If you liked Phanom Rung (and prasat hin Muang Tam) you will love Angkor Wat near Siem Reap. -  same builders...

Yes Angkor Wat is the main motivation for going already have a guide booked and 5 nights accommodation, family will drop us at Chong Chom

5 minutes ago, Waterloo said:

Yes Angkor Way is the main motivation for going already have a guide booked and 5 nights accommodation, family will drop us at Chong Chom

I am sure you will enjoy it....... and Pub Street.

I have been over 20 times and I never get bored of the place.

I don't go to the temples every time..... they have got a bit expensive - the price increased earlier this year from $20 to €37... (3 day pass $40 to $60).

Just now, Jip99 said:

I am sure you will enjoy it....... and Pub Street.

I have been over 20 times and I never get bored of the place.

I don't go to the temples every time..... they have got a bit expensive - the price increased earlier this year from $20 to €37... (3 day pass $40 to $60).

Yes our accomadation is not far from pub street just of the royal gardens so intend to treat ourselves to one night of luxury with dinner at Raffles as we are leaving the children with Yai this side of the border

Archived