Prayut urges NGOs to cut criticism of flood relief plans

webfact

By THE NATION

ba674498479964a627fb6eb0917186b1.jpg

Prime minister pushes forward with new water management agency to ensure integration of all government resources.

BANGKOK: -- PRIME MINISTER General Prayut Chan-o-cha has urged non-government organisations (NGOs) not to criticise the government’s efforts to prevent and tackle flooding, and has instructed his deputy to open talks with related agencies on setting up the new National Office of Water Resources.

Prayut told reporters after the Cabinet meeting yesterday that he had assigned deputy Wisanu Krea-ngam to discuss with the Office of the Public Sector Development Commission and the Office of the Civil Service Commission the feasibility of setting up the new office to improve water management and ensure integrated cooperation between agencies. 

“There must be a National Water Resource Committee to propel works forward … and to be in charge of initial flood prevention in all regions for 2017-2018,” the premier said. 

Prayut also expressed concerns over the heavy rainfall, especially in the South, and urged people to understand the flood risk in their area and prepare themselves accordingly, although he affirmed that the government would provide post-disaster aid and implement preventive measures. 

“The key thing is fast flood drainage. But can I have several canals dug to drain floodwater fast into the sea in the South? Well, I can’t because all projects face objections [from the public and NGOs],” he said.

Worasart Apaipong, director-general of the Natural Resources and Environment Ministry’s Water Resources Department, said he didn’t understand why the Office of the Auditor General (OAG) would have a problem with his department keeping aside 10 per cent of its budget for emergencies. 

He said the Bureau of the Budget had previously said it was acceptable. 

Worasart’s comment was made in response to the OAG’s request on August 1 for him to explain by yesterday why the agency would keep aside 10 per cent of its budget for survey and other tasks as well as projects in the upcoming fiscal year. 

The OAG also asked if such an apparently unprecedented practice had been implement in the fiscal year 2017 and 2016. 

Also yesterday, a five-metre-long breach of a flood barrier in Tambon Wangchik of Phichit’s Pho Prathap Chang district expanded to 10 metres, sending floodwater into eight villages downstream as well as a vast area of farmland.

The dyke in Ban Huai Tapan Moo 4 had broken on Monday afternoon and the breach doubled in size despite efforts by local officials and residents to plug it. 

As of yesterday afternoon, one village in Tambon Wang Chik was under up to 80 centimetres of water and residents had to use boats for transportation. 

Another village in Tambon Pho Prathap Chang and five more villages in Tambon Phai Tha Pho were also affected, while farmers hurriedly harvested rice paddies in flooded fields in the three tambons. 

Prematurely-harvest rice could fetch the much cheaper than usual price of Bt4,000 per tonne, but it was better than getting nothing from a wasted harvest, farmers said.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30323913

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-08-16

9 minutes ago, webfact said:

Worasart’s comment was made in response to the OAG’s request on August 1 for him to explain by yesterday why the agency would keep aside 10 per cent of its budget for survey and other tasks as well as projects in the upcoming fiscal year. 

I can understand why there are questions regarding keeping 10% of their budget aside.

The key phrase here is "other tasks".

Perhaps an explanation of "other tasks" might clear up the situation. For example, are these "other tasks" actually related to flood management? It is a rather important question...

1 hour ago, Samui Bodoh said:

I can understand why there are questions regarding keeping 10% of their budget aside.

The key phrase here is "other tasks".

Perhaps an explanation of "other tasks" might clear up the situation. For example, are these "other tasks" actually related to flood management? It is a rather important question...

Other tasks might be defined as: Don't look behind the curtain.

The most telling sentence is this one:

“The key thing is fast flood drainage. But can I have several canals dug to drain floodwater fast into the sea in the South? Well, I can’t because all projects face objections [from the public and NGOs],” he said."

Normal leaders  use the term "we" when talking about what a government/country is doing. Pathetic little usurper. :saai:

It's my understanding that in Thai culture you should't criticise as you might make someone lose face.

Funny, in my last job I swear to god my supervisor found any excuse possible to bother me. Being 20 mins late once because of a torrential downpour. Sure, I was late - my bad. But there were mitigating factors. Especially as I've never been late before.

Now my boss is the owner of the company. Never says a word to me. Guess she's only interested in her bottom line and not boosting her very low self-esteem. 

1 hour ago, SABloke said:

The most telling sentence is this one:

“The key thing is fast flood drainage. But can I have several canals dug to drain floodwater fast into the sea in the South? Well, I can’t because all projects face objections [from the public and NGOs],” he said."

Normal leaders  use the term "we" when talking about what a government/country is doing. Pathetic little usurper. :saai:

He isn't even smart enough to use 'we' when mistakes have happened and it would take away some culpability from him. 

Also, when did he care about objections from the public? I thought the public having objections was illegal. 

Every year it floods and every year there are talks of setting up new agencies to so this and that to prevent flooding in the following year. 

Then, a year later, it floods again... 

Same same but different year. 

That's just the nature of the beast. 

With monsoons comes flooding. I don't believe they can be controlled but, measures can be taken to help people and animals in disstress or danger; to keep waterways clear and functioning, etc. 

Let nature take it's course. 

3 hours ago, webfact said:

“The key thing is fast flood drainage. But can I have several canals dug to drain floodwater fast into the sea in the South? Well, I can’t because all projects face objections [from the public and NGOs],” he said.

Then come up with better plans. 

2 hours ago, zzaa09 said:

Other tasks might be defined as: Don't look behind the curtain.

Anyone who's ever put together a budget for a complex project will have a line somewhere for contingencies that can't be identified going in.  Throughout a career in one of the most heavily audited fields in business, my normal contingency line is 15%, and it has never once been questioned by supervisors, management or auditors.  And I've never personally made a dime from that line item.

Pick on something, sure.  It's a target rich environment.  But pick on the things that are wrong.  Not normal business practices.

3 hours ago, webfact said:

What kind of leader cannot bear scrutiny ?  Yingluck did and still does.  The good general's constant whining is not doing his administration or Thailand any good.   

If our good PM would only admit they cannot do it right and bring in representatives  from countrys that are experienced in this field for proper advice it may work. As he knows it gets worst each year, and he knows Bangkok is sinking a few CM's each year as it was built in a  large valley and is just a little  short of sea level at the moment. Come on Mr PM call Holland in and stop worrying about lose of face. You would have the spare money if you stop spending on stupid submarines and missiles and selk that unused useless aircraft carrier.

Spot the 3 'get-out-of-trouble' clauses in our PM's statement:

. . . . . and has instructed his deputy to open talks with related agencies on setting up the new National Office of Water Resources.

Unless I'm an incurable cynic, Prayut always introduces elements of possible delay or inaction into his grand pronouncements; more often than not by subtly passing the buck to others.

Well, have you spotted the 3 goots? Here they are, underscored:

. . . . . and has instructed his deputy to open talks with related agencies on setting up the new National Office of Water Resources.

How can this initiative possibly fail? In three ways, that's how. In the meantime, we'd ALL best get out our shovels and spades and start enlarging those silted-up waterways . . . tricky, eh?

I have asked the rainmaking group to come in and ....., oh hang on, wrong time of the year,
I will add 5th level of bureaucracy full of my friends because, they will be able toooooo...doooooo ...ummmm
I dont have any property in the area yet, (rubbing his hands together), so who gives a flying....