Swiss hotel's signs for Jews spark row and Israeli complaint

webfact

Swiss hotel's signs for Jews spark row and Israeli complaint

Israel has expressed anger to the Swiss government over a hotel's sign that told Jewish guests to shower before using the swimming pool.

The sign in English, at Apartmenthaus Paradies in the mountain resort of Arosa, triggered much criticism.

Another sign told Jewish guests to use a refrigerator only at certain times. Israel's deputy foreign minister called it "an anti-Semitic act of the worst and ugliest kind". Reports say the hotel has now removed the signs.

Full story: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-40936334

bbc_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright BBC 2017-08-16

It's not anti-Semitic at all but rather poor communication. It transpires that some ultra-orthodox Jews had been swimming in clothes without showering...so the point was valid but the sign should have read to ALL guests. 

The fridge....the hotel permitted kosher food to be stored for guests , as a favour. Again, poor communication.

The story is a beat-up.

Yes, the signs about the pool should have been addressed to all and there would be no problem, and if the fridge was specifically about Kosher food, then that would OK to mention that the fridge is for Kosher food. 

I wouldn't say the hotel is blameless though. It was damn stupid not to realize how that sign would be interpreted. 

Edited by Jingthing

Just to explain the context why the word ' Jews to shower ' it's a poor

choice of words and meaning as it's invoke the horrible memories of Jews

being lead to rooms supposedly to shower which were in fact gas Chambers... 

15 hours ago, ezzra said:

Just to explain the context why the word ' Jews to shower ' it's a poor

choice of words and meaning as it's invoke the horrible memories of Jews

being lead to rooms supposedly to shower which were in fact gas Chambers... 

Oh, thanks for the explanation.

As a smelly Serb who don't shower and releases fecal matters into hotel swimming pools the showering invokes horrible memories of being, well.... showered by NATO bombs.

Wonder what would happen if I would keep a chilled pork chop in a fridge in a hotel in Israel. Likewise I wonder what would happen if I would jump into a hotel pool in Israel with my National costume on.

Pathetic - those guys should stay at home or adjust to the hosts rules, at least that's what my parents told me! 

14 hours ago, Sydebolle said:

Wonder what would happen if I would keep a chilled pork chop in a fridge in a hotel in Israel. Likewise I wonder what would happen if I would jump into a hotel pool in Israel with my National costume on.

Pathetic - those guys should stay at home or adjust to the hosts rules, at least that's what my parents told me! 

Completely agree. Religious fanatics from all sides make me :sick:

5 minutes ago, bert bloggs said:

About par for the course for Switzerland , during the war when the Jews And others in Germany put their money in "safe Swiss banks" they just kept it after the war and would not give it back .

This is absolute bull........

The Swiss banks, even today, hand out whatever is claimed for - by the authorized and verified person. Study the subject before putting such rubbish onto the net; fact is, that there are regretfully still some funds unclaimed and, after 70 years, the Swiss banks are still keeping them for collection. 

Please be more reasonable and to the truth before spreading such nonsense; people like you are not a part of the solution but the problem! 

3 hours ago, Sydebolle said:

when in Rome do as the Romans do

3 hours ago, Sydebolle said:

Stupid example. Putting a pork chop into a refrigerator in a kosher kitchen would make that refrigerator, in not the entire kitchen, not kosher and commercially useless. 

And as for jumping into a pool with your National costume on, what are you trying to say? Is there a difference between jumping into a pool with street clothes on as compared to wearing whatever your national costume is? If so, then a sign saying Please don't jump into the pool while wearing your national costume would suffice. Or is it only the national costume of certain countries that's objectionable. So, for example, Please Germans, don't jump into the pool wearing lederhosen or dirndls. But other national costumes would be okay? And if your badly formulated point was that it's wrong to wear normal clothes into a pool, then that's all that needs to be said without distinguishing among ethnicities. 

Yeah, but. . .

Many hotels and resorts (including a number in Thailand where I have stayed) have notices reminding pool users of all nationalities to shower before using the facility. It is a sensible measure, obviously designed to protect the health of clients from inconsiderate idiots with low standards of hygiene.

Putting up a notice specifically to remind Jewish guests of the pool rules seems reasonable if they were the only ones flouting them.

The fact that being given exclusive access to the hotel refrigerator came with some strings is not unreasonable, either.

It sounds like somebody, not least the BBC, was determined to make a mountain out of a molehill.

Edited by Krataiboy

19 minutes ago, Krataiboy said:

Yeah, but. . .

Many hotels and resorts (including a number in Thailand where I have stayed) have notices reminding pool users of all nationalities to shower before using the facility. It is a sensible measure, obviously designed to protect the health of clients from inconsiderate idiots with low standards of hygiene.

Putting up a notice specifically to remind Jewish guests of the pool rules seems reasonable if they were the only ones flouting them.

The fact that being given exclusive access to the hotel refrigerator came with some strings is not unreasonable, either.

It sounds like somebody, not least the BBC, was determined to make a mountain out of a molehill.

You seriously refuse to understand why that pool sign comes across as anti-semitic? Wow. You know, honestly, I do not believe you. 

I would give the hotel the benefit of the doubt on their intentions. It's just a matter of changing the wording. 

Edited by Jingthing

4 hours ago, Prbkk said:

In fact he is: a graduate of the Donald J Trump School of PR

Well, done, manged to get a Donald Trump mention in quite early

Can you also manage to get a "500 Baht fine and a slap on the wrists" mention into this story as well ?

35 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

You seriously refuse to understand why that pool sign comes across as anti-semitic? Wow. You know, honestly, I do not believe you. 

I would give the hotel the benefit of the doubt on their intentions. It's just a matter of changing the wording. 

Are you saying it would be wrong to ask a Jewish person to take a shower before going into a public swimming pool... if they were the only people that were not taking a shower and going in with their cloths on?  Why?  

30 minutes ago, jak2002003 said:

Are you saying it would be wrong to ask a Jewish person to take a shower before going into a public swimming pool... if they were the only people that were not taking a shower and going in with their cloths on?  Why?  

Not going to fall for that weak tea baiting attempt.

The point is that the pool sign should have been directed to ALL guests.

Period. End of story.

9 hours ago, Sydebolle said:

The Swiss banks, even today, hand out whatever is claimed for - by the authorized and verified person. Study the subject before putting such rubbish onto the net; fact is, that there are regretfully still some funds unclaimed and, after 70 years, the Swiss banks are still keeping them for collection. 

Please be more reasonable and to the truth before spreading such nonsense; people like you are not a part of the solution but the problem! 

What you say is not true , how do i know ,well my fathers family had their money kept by the Swiss banks and for so long America tried to get money back for our familys , and some years ago The Swiss banks made a payment to the trust ,and our family recieved a paltry 5000 pounds as our share , so please do not post what you do not know as a fact ,because our family and thousands of others fought via the courts for 50 years .

What you say is not true , how do i know ,well my fathers family had their money kept by the Swiss banks and for so long America tried to get money back for our familys , and some years ago The Swiss banks made a payment to the trust ,and our family recieved a paltry 5000 pounds as our share , so please do not post what you do not know as a fact ,because our family and thousands of others fought via the courts for 50 years .

Correct . I read about this also a security guard who whistleblew on the Swiss banks that were destroying documents had to flee to America in fear of his life

Sent from my SM-A720F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

9 hours ago, Sydebolle said:

I think it's people like you who won't accepts the facts who are the problem.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christoph_Meili

Thanks to Iclaudius for bringing this up.

It's known that European swimming pools are open outside regular hours for specific groups : naturists, gays, Muslims, Jews, etc...
Some ultra religious groups have strict rules when they're mixed with average people in public places like a swimming pool.
For sure its not hygienic to swim with transpirated and unwashed clothes...

2 hours ago, ilostmypassword said:

I think it's people like you who won't accepts the facts who are the problem.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christoph_Meili

Thanks to Iclaudius for bringing this up.

As a born and ethnic Swiss I am aware of former Sekuritas employee Meili and his "job" with the UBS. He was paid for and ultimately nicely dumped while in New York visiting those who paid him.

To this day it is unknown, what documents got shredded - a normal procedure in any bigger corporation. The bank in question was the UBS, the biggest Swiss bank then and now and, as arrogant as this might sound, the amount in question is absolutely ridiculously small if you look at what figures those guys are juggling with on a hourly basis. 

Meili - a sleazy character - was in for the money and the money only and the sponsors for the headlines the whole story created - many, many moons ago! 

To this date not all of the money, initially CHF 1.2 billion, has been collected but thousands of fakies with all sorts of "semitic proof" tried to enrich themselves. Go figure! 

9 hours ago, ilostmypassword said:

Stupid example. Putting a pork chop into a refrigerator in a kosher kitchen would make that refrigerator, in not the entire kitchen, not kosher and commercially useless. 

And as for jumping into a pool with your National costume on, what are you trying to say? Is there a difference between jumping into a pool with street clothes on as compared to wearing whatever your national costume is? If so, then a sign saying Please don't jump into the pool while wearing your national costume would suffice. Or is it only the national costume of certain countries that's objectionable. So, for example, Please Germans, don't jump into the pool wearing lederhosen or dirndls. But other national costumes would be okay? And if your badly formulated point was that it's wrong to wear normal clothes into a pool, then that's all that needs to be said without distinguishing among ethnicities. 

The only thing which could have been formulated better is leaving the jewish part aside; quite obviously - following the Swiss press - though only the jews did that. But yes, leave the religious, racist or nationalist definition out - that would have been a smarter way of getting the message across ;-) 

Yes, yes, the hotel was stupid, and racist.

Now, what if hotels in Thailand put up signs saying "Chinese tourist no welcome in pool, we no like spitting in pool, we no like people have clothes in pool, please, no Chinese tourist in pool".

Lots of people would think that the signs would be hilarious !!

1 hour ago, Sydebolle said:

The only thing which could have been formulated better is leaving the jewish part aside; quite obviously - following the Swiss press - though only the jews did that. But yes, leave the religious, racist or nationalist definition out - that would have been a smarter way of getting the message across ;-) 

Yeah, those inscrutable swiss  and those wandering JEWS that can't take a joke about (aryan?) european people saying they're dirty JEWS and ordering them to the "showers".

Sorry.:sorry:

Not really. :smile:

Edited by Jingthing

41 minutes ago, tonbridgebrit said:

Yes, yes, the hotel was stupid, and racist.

Now, what if hotels in Thailand put up signs saying "Chinese tourist no welcome in pool, we no like spitting in pool, we no like people have clothes in pool, please, no Chinese tourist in pool".

Lots of people would think that the signs would be hilarious !!

If you don't have a picture, it never happened.