British survey points travellers to Bangkok: ‘Cheapest city on earth’ not proud of it

webfact

EDITORIAL

‘Cheapest city on earth’ not proud of it

By The Nation

As a British survey points travellers to Bangkok, Thailand needs to be cultivating bigger spenders

BANGKOK: -- Once again Bangkok has been the top pick among global travel destinations in a tourism survey, but interestingly, this time it ranks highest among the cheapest. Britons answering the poll called it “the world’s cheapest city” for anyone looking for a long-haul holiday in an urban setting.

The survey by the British Post Office rated the Thai capital the best value among 10 cities on a list – total “basket price” just under 317 pounds (Bt13,600) per month. Credit our inexpensive accommodations. It costs 100 pounds less per month to live here than in Tokyo, second on the list. Those guesthouses of ours are “paying off” spectacularly in terms of pleasing the wandering masses.

This is all good news for Thais relying on tourism revenue, and Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha declared himself “pleased” with the news. But let’s be honest. Is this really an achievement worth celebrating? 

The cheap prices foreign tourists enjoy come at the cost of Thai taxpayers, whose money is spent on infrastructure, electricity, tap water and other services. These are what is keeping the cost of living here highly affordable for visitors from overseas. The several million people coming to Thailand each year also contribute to traffic congestion and rubbish in the big cities, making local lives worse. Is all this worth the bragging rights over being called the cheapest city on earth?

The government spokesman quoted the premier as saying the UK survey’s finding about Bangkok was in accord with the government's policy to encourage tourists to extend their stays and spend more money, a shot in the arm for an ailing economy. 

Countless measures have been taken to promote tourism, including exemption from visa fees and extension of stays for long-term visitors.

But there are critics who believe free visas aren’t a good idea for Thailand, since the practice brings in so many stingy visitors and backpackers. 

And because it’s cheap here, they’re happy to stay as long as possible while spending as little as possible. Malaysia, it’s been noted, offers no visa exemptions, and in fact imposes a “tourism tax” of 10 ringgit per night (about Bt80) on any foreigner staying at a paid lodging.

Tourism has long been a source of income for millions of people in Thailand and a major revenue-earner for the public till, both in good and bad economic times. We still need foreign tourists to keep our economy afloat.

But we need to find a balance that neglects no one’s interests. Thailand should not be touted as a cheap destination, even if many tourists do come here purely because the prices are much lower compared to those in other countries. 

In their YouTube videos for friends back home, they rarely forget to point out that “Everything is cheap here”. We need to pay more attention to travellers who can afford the more luxurious tourist amenities, without ignoring the bargain-hunters and backpackers who prefer street food and cheap hostels. 

Tourism authorities expect as many as 35.5 million visitors this year, yet another record. The maddeningly long arrival queues at Bangkok’s airports are clear proof Thailand is still a hugely popular destination. 

We just hope our guests might spend a little more and help us get the economy out of the doldrums.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/opinion/30324043

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-08-17

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Every now and than we get to see another ' survey ' that says this or that city/country

is the best/cheapest, these surveys are utter nonsense and flowed, if we take Thailand

for example, prices can vary by a lot depend which city and in which part of the coutry

you're holidaying, while in some remote small cities you will pay for a 3 star hotel

1,500 baht same hotel in touristy areas will cost almost a dubule and the same goes

for food and transportation,

those surveys are paid by companies or people with vast interests to point people

towards those destination and nothing more....

What on earth is the Post Office's interest in this?
Oh yes, they flog foreign currency and travel insurance...

It would be better if they put the effort into ensuring a half decent mail service between the two countries...

Let's get this straight please. Thank you for the wonderful report written by a Thai in The Nation based on fiction.

http://www.postoffice.co.uk/travel-money/holiday-money-report-2017

This is Top 12 worldwide. Thailand not included (too expensive).

IMG_Holiday_Costs_2017_Top_12_infographic.thumb.jpg.a58a3a7dc1dca62a8b43d773235a3ff3.jpg

This is the "rest of the world", Phuket Thailand, number 4.IMG_Holiday_Costs_2017_Rest_of_World_infographic.thumb.jpg.af6bd708c1a2488d1eb05b91eafa4cd0.jpg

Conclusions:

- Tokyo is way more cheaper than Phuket.

- The first 10 European destinations (different pic - find on the website) are ALL cheaper than Phuket.

It's beyond my understanding how someone writes an article / opinion in the Thai press discussing a third party survey from the UK, and then we go to the website of that third party and we see different data.

Seriously? I mean like....seriously?

Its is also implied in the article that Thailand has the generosity to provide visa exempt, while Malaysia doesn't. For the writer of the article, please be informed that Malaysia offers a 90 day visa exempt for many nationalities and does not charge 1,900 baht for 30 day extensions so one can actually spend 60 days in Thailand. Or 90 days, only if they apply for a visa that costs 1000 -1400 baht depending on where one gets it from.

Edited by lkv

17 minutes ago, JAG said:

What on earth is the Post Office's interest in this?
Oh yes, they flog foreign currency and travel insurance...

It would be better if they put the effort into ensuring a half decent mail service between the two countries...

I often refer to our small town post office as Bermuda triangle due to many items going AWOL, this week my online ordered train tickets arrived from UK within 6 days. It did cost a £10 fee but kudos to both Post Offices. 

I guess we have to break this down a little bit to make it understandable,right?

1 hour ago, webfact said:

The cheap prices foreign tourists enjoy come at the cost of Thai taxpayers, whose money is spent on infrastructure, electricity, tap water and other services. These are what is keeping the cost of living here highly affordable for visitors from overseas.

This is totally rubbish on the highest level possible. The cheap prices comes out of investment in something??? That has never happened and will never happen! The Thai taxpayers money is spend on those things because that is necessary for a developing country in this world. A country need infrastructure, electricity, tap water and much more just to please their own people. The tourists that comes here are very happy to travel to islands and more natural areas. There they many times live in a bungalow without much things. The people that choose to live here, pays their part in one way or another.

And because it’s cheap here, they’re happy to stay as long as possible while spending as little as possible. Malaysia, it’s been noted, offers no visa exemptions, and in fact imposes a “tourism tax” of 10 ringgit per night (about Bt80) on any foreigner staying at a paid lodging.

Oh, I had the belief in that it´s called servicefee, vat, tax or whatever other namnes might be. Thailand also already takes this as an included part the tourist never sees. This part of the article only proves that malaysia is open with what they do, instead of hiding it inside the set price.

But we need to find a balance that neglects no one’s interests. Thailand should not be touted as a cheap destination, even if many tourists do come here purely because the prices are much lower compared to those in other countries. 

I do not think that cheap prices is going to be a big factor that makes many people run away just because of that. It has to do more with quality and things to do. However, please feel free to higher the prices and see how much that contributes to the locals economy. I would guess a big minus, due to that many active today have to close because of less tourism.

We just hope our guests might spend a little more and help us get the economy out of the doldrums

The tourists that comes to Thailand can´t possibly take any kind of economy out of the doldrums. What kind of uneducated talk is that? The economy in this country raise and falls due based on the decisions of power. To many high cost projects that are not needed. The neverending warfare machine. Also rules and regulations that makes foreign investments harder than in many other countries.

Edited by Get Real

14 minutes ago, lamyai3 said:

Perhaps they should be drawing attention to the fact that Thailand has never been more expensive than it is right now due to the increasingly dismal value of the British pound. 

You better get used to it. The pound will get weaker, and will take at least 5 years to return to pre-brexit levels. Those idiots basically voted to inflict hardship on millions. Not good.

Thailand and Bangkok in particular is not cheap. Used to be until the greed machine kicked in and the prices escalated. Many other parts of SEA are cheaper than Thailand. I know what someone is going to and that is "if you don't like it leave". Well like many foreigners here I have a Thai family. As for not contributing I bring in over Baht 2m a year. Not bragging but it is needed to take care of my family. Many other guys I know with Thai families also spend around the same.

Overly expensive I don't believe so but cheap it certainly is not.

Edited by gandalf12

2 hours ago, webfact said:

Countless measures have been taken to promote tourism, including exemption from visa fees and extension of stays for long-term visitors.

once again, lumping us, very long stayers, in with the tourists; as so so many thais do

" The cheap prices foreign tourists enjoy come at the cost of Thai taxpayers, whose money is spent on infrastructure, electricity, tap water and other services. These are what is keeping the cost of living here highly affordable for visitors from overseas. The several million people coming to Thailand each year also contribute to traffic congestion and rubbish in the big cities, making local lives worse. Is all this worth the bragging rights over being called the cheapest city on earth? "

Insulting and wrong imo.  Anybody would think the locals don't get access to services, subsidise tourists, or that services would in some way be less expensive if visitors were not around.  Arguably tourists drive standards upwards.  As for any economic arguments: even with backpackers Thailand must inevitably gain since visitors are not on the take.  Indeed, in any other country with pretensions of civilisation, the amenities and services mentioned are a function of decent, basic society, and not in any way dependent on tourism.

Thailand is starstruck with the mythical 5 star tourist dispensing wads of cash- to the extent it scorns the very trade that directly provides for many of its poorer citizens.  Today's backpackers become tomorrow's businessmen, bread winners, and the type of consumer Thailand seemingly ranks worthy of its gracious hospitality.  But they won't come again faced with such an insulting attitude; who can blame them?  What has Thailand got to be so high handed about?  Why would 5 star tourists want to come to Bangkok anyway?

Edited by mommysboy

Perhaps someone should post a List thats for Non Backpackers.Cars are a Stupid prices,gutter foods Cheap, but a descent place isnt.Trying to think what's cheap for me by comparison .?.....can only say Car Service and Electricity.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

It was stated in the article that tourist make a lot of rubbish that makes lives worse for the local people.

I disagree with this statement. I doubt that Thai people never litter. I doubt all the rubbish in the ditches along the road or under bridges is the work of tourists.

In my opinion Thailand faces a major problem regarding rubbish pollution. Plastic bags are literally everywhere and I doubt that it all falls on the tourists.

2 hours ago, lkv said:

Let's get this straight please. Thank you for the wonderful report written by a Thai in The Nation based on fiction.

http://www.postoffice.co.uk/travel-money/holiday-money-report-2017

This is Top 12 worldwide. Thailand not included (too expensive).

IMG_Holiday_Costs_2017_Top_12_infographic.thumb.jpg.a58a3a7dc1dca62a8b43d773235a3ff3.jpg

This is the "rest of the world", Phuket Thailand, number 4.IMG_Holiday_Costs_2017_Rest_of_World_infographic.thumb.jpg.af6bd708c1a2488d1eb05b91eafa4cd0.jpg

Conclusions:

- Tokyo is way more cheaper than Phuket.

- The first 10 European destinations (different pic - find on the website) are ALL cheaper than Phuket.

It's beyond my understanding how someone writes an article / opinion in the Thai press discussing a third party survey from the UK, and then we go to the website of that third party and we see different data.

Seriously? I mean like....seriously?

Its is also implied in the article that Thailand has the generosity to provide visa exempt, while Malaysia doesn't. For the writer of the article, please be informed that Malaysia offers a 90 day visa exempt for many nationalities and does not charge 1,900 baht for 30 day extensions so one can actually spend 60 days in Thailand. Or 90 days, only if they apply for a visa that costs 1000 -1400 baht depending on where one gets it from.

Seriously mate....not that the main article is much better but the thing you posted is absolute crap? Judging cities by a basket of goods where it is too heavy with a bottle of plonk? Article written by a moron.

Thailand needs to learn that islands and beaches in the Caribbean and South Pacific and in many other parts of the world are FAR SUPERIOR to anything going on in Thailand.

If you have money, you don't care how much a massage costs. I paid $85 for massages when I lived in Los Angeles.

If you have money, you don't come to Bangkok FIRST, or with your wife or family. You go to San Fransisco, San Diego, Key West, Hawaii, Virgin Islands, Tahiti, Amalfi Coast, Monaco, Paris, London.

I have vacationed in many places with a big budget and I have yet to see ANYTHING in Thailand that is superior to other countries natural beauty or accommodations.   

With the exception of Soi Six, Pattaya.

and I hate to say this, but being a retired upper middle class American the biggest shock coming to Thailand was seeing all the very low class people from all over the world wandering around. Most high end tourist would be put off by this.

Edited by NCC1701A

48 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

I have vacationed in many places with a big budget and I have yet to see ANYTHING in Thailand that is superior to other countries natural beauty or accommodations.   

:shock1:

Superior accommodation in Soi 6? I doubt it.

So that leaves natural beauty, precluding all the nose jobs.

To be honest, I don't find the average Thai woman is particularly beautiful. And that is if you can even see their faces, as mostly they are looking into the mobile phone.

Sure, there a a number of pretty girls around, but for real sensual feminine beauty it is hard to beat South America. And certainly I much prefer to listen to a South American or a Russian accent than ducks quacking.

YMMV......

I spend a lot of time in Tokyo. I think it is a bit cheaper than Bangkok, but of course it depends what you do. When I go there I have free, or almost free, accommodation, so the scandalously high cost of a shoe box room in a hotel doesn't affect me. Bangkok has cheap rooms but alcohol and Western food is very expensive compared to Tokyo. Transport is very cheap in Thailand, whereas it is quite expensive in Japan, but the standards of transportation are completely different, and although Japan has had some nasty public transport incidents, you don't feel that you are taking your life in your hands every time you step on a train.

For me the surveys are useless. When I was expat in Tokyo, it was the second most expensive city on earth (after Oslo) and so my COLA was massive, tax free....but COLA was driven by accommodation expenses and the company paid for my apartment and all my bills so I made out like a bandit. Fond memories.

1 hour ago, NCC1701A said:

Thailand needs to learn that islands and beaches in the Caribbean and South Pacific and in many other parts of the world are FAR SUPERIOR to anything going on in Thailand.

If you have money, you don't care how much a massage costs. I paid $85 for massages when I lived in Los Angeles.

If you have money, you don't come to Bangkok FIRST, or with your wife or family. You go to San Fransisco, San Diego, Key West, Hawaii, Virgin Islands, Tahiti, Amalfi Coast, Monaco, Paris, London.

and I hate to say this, but being a retired upper middle class American the biggest shock coming to Thailand was seeing all the very low class people from all over the world wandering around. Most high end tourist would be put off by this.

and I hate to say this, but being a retired upper middle class American Snob the biggest shock coming to Thailand was seeing all the very low class people from all over the world wandering around. Most high end tourist would be put off by this.     

Fixed the typo for you.           

3 hours ago, Jeremy50 said:

You better get used to it. The pound will get weaker, and will take at least 5 years to return to pre-brexit levels. Those idiots basically voted to inflict hardship on millions. Not good.

"Those idiots" voted to take back control of their country, to stop their country and services being overrun by by countless economic migrants who have no intention of ever contributing anything to the economy and to leave a corrupt EU which, after virtually bankrupting all of it's member states (apart from those who contribute nothing) is going to fail and fall apart in spectacular fashion in the not too distant future. So to say that voting for Brexit has inflicted hardship on millions due to a temporary drop in the value of the £ is utter stupidity. A price had to be paid to correct the idiocy of taking the UK into the old EC in the first place. I am one of the idiots who voted for Brexit and will never regret it