Do I need a yellow book?

5 minutes ago, Kalvin said:

I have been thinking of trying to get one,  the problem is that I have heard so many different things about it.  Trying to find out how and where do get one at in Pattaya. 

In Pattaya it depends on the location of the property that you will be claiming as your residential address.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

Here is the list of required documents for Pattaya City Hall. 

image.png.c8f2616deb0d2a83ece90c3a8679c71d.png

But check first that your claimed domicile comes under the Pattaya City hall jurisdiction. Some will come under the Nongprue Amphur which is over on the darkside.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

They are good for opening bank accounts, getting drivers licenses, registering vehicles and few other other things that require proof of residence.

Not true, at least not in Pattaya, they wouldn't accept my yellow book to extend my driver's license nor to transfer the name of my vehicle.

They forced me to suffer the extortion at immigration to get the residency certificate.

Go to the Tesseban where you live, several of them here in Pattaya 

1 Marriage certificate and your wife's blue book and her thai ID

2 Passport translated by an approved translator 

3 One wittness 

Make copies of everything. Thats it when you got the yellow book you kan make a pink ID card, people from the tesseban will tell you where to go / Good luck Turnaround time 4 weeks

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, thedivezone said:

Not true, at least not in Pattaya, they wouldn't accept my yellow book to extend my driver's license nor to transfer the name of my vehicle.

They forced me to suffer the extortion at immigration to get the residency certificate.

Sorry to hear.
But this is typical of Thailand.
Authorities in the various districts often treat the same process very differently.

1 minute ago, thedivezone said:

That must be a new requirement as I used yellow book a couple of months ago for license renewal and previously for transfer of a vehicle. How long ago was it ?

2 minutes ago, tstcman said:

so what are the steps to get a yellow book . I live in Chiang Mai with my wifes family home in san sai district.

Sent from my ASUS_T00J using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Each Ampher is different but its usually the regular things like passport, res cert etc and something showing a translation of your name, marriage docs or passport translation etc.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Peterw42 said:

That must be a new requirement as I used yellow book a couple of months ago for license renewal and previously for transfer of a vehicle. How long ago was it ?

It has been reported here at TV that Chonburi Land Transport Office (Pattaya) will only recognize the Residence Certificate issued by Soi 5 (Jomtien) Immigration and has turned away many with the Yellow Books

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

That was two weeks ago, but when i first enquired last year and showed them my yellow book they said "Cannot", you must have been lucky.

To me it's the Motor vehicle dept colluding with Immigration, because they see their revenue stream drying up due to the yellow books.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, thedivezone said:

That was two weeks ago, but when i first enquired last year and showed them my yellow book they said "Cannot", you must have been lucky.

To me it's the Motor vehicle dept colluding with Immigration, because they see their revenue stream drying up due to the yellow books.

There goes one of the main reasons for having a yellow book.

Last time I went there it was all the girl at the top of the stairs would say, "resident certificate or yellow book", if you answered no she sent you back down the stairs.

It is indeed true that the residency certification requirement varies from one regional Land Transportation Office to the next. It has been my personal experience, at the LTO in Bangkok, that the combination of my passport and yellow house registration book was not accepted for a change of my pink paper driving licence to the plastic card. They wanted the certificate from the immigration office and I did not make the change. I may try again if and when I get the pink ID card for foreigners, which is still missing in my collection of official Thai documents.

24 minutes ago, tstcman said:

so what are the steps to get a yellow book . I live in Chiang Mai with my wifes family home in san sai district.

Sent from my ASUS_T00J using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Suggest you print out the picture that lists the Pattaya requirements and take it to your local Amphur. They will quickly tell you yes or no but if yes with a fanciful fee requested, you can tell them no. Amphurs in Bahn Nork will possibly obfuscate and deny and if that's the case, sorry.

I know that the MFA will certify proof of income letters by mail but not sure if that also extends to passport certification for yellow books; check their website. The certification of parents names needs to be done by a board certified translator (not MFA).

FWIW, I got my yellow book in Udon ages ago when all they needed was a non-MFA certified translation of my parents names and my passport. They have a board certified translator in town that ALL local government departments insist be used and she's (still) very good and very reasonably priced. Used the yellow book as proof of address for the Thai DL and same for financing in my name. Last year, I added the ID card to my collection and used that to enable getting the house internet service in my name.

48 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

There goes one of the main reasons for having a yellow book.

Last time I went there it was all the girl at the top of the stairs would say, "resident certificate or yellow book", if you answered no she sent you back down the stairs.

Same for me, the only other reason for me to get it was to do the capital gains tax return at the tax office, don't actually know if it is indeed required for that.

Now the yellow book is just another worthless piece of paper, but at 20 baht it didn't exactly break the bank either.

3 minutes ago, kbelyeu said:

Incorrect info.  I have my yellow book and pink ID card all while living in a rented house.

Kurt

AFAIK, to accomplish that in most places, you'd need to have the owner of the house that you're renting agree to add you to their tabien ban -- something a lot of Thai owners don't seem especially willing to do.

• Like 1

Just now, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

AFAIK, to accomplish that in most places, you'd need to have the owner of the house that you're renting agree to add you to their tabien ban -- something a lot of Thai owners don't seem especially willing to do.

I simply pointed out that his post was incorrect.  The thai owner of the house I am renting had no issues whatsoever with me getting a yellow book on his property.

Kurt 

Another last tip for the OP.
Go to the office together with your Thai wife.
If you have a certified, translated marriage certificate you  can (in my case it was so) save the money for the translation for the Office of Foreigner Affairs (Far away in Bangkok).
It is important that you translate your foreign name correctly into Thai.
My wife and I had an interview with the district chief.
So after an hour I had the Yellow Book and the Pink ID.
The process is simple and does not hurt.
Many Thai officials are very nice and helpful.
If you are ok, they are also ok.
Good luck and report back please.

4 hours ago, NanLaew said:

I know that the MFA will certify proof of income letters by mail but not sure if that also extends to passport certification for yellow books; check their website. The certification of parents names needs to be done by a board certified translator (not MFA

The MFA will certify the signature of the translator of the passport. Let the translator handle this for a small extra fee.

No certification needed for the names of your parents. Copy them from your marriage certificate KR.2 and the district office will check them against what they have on their records.

Make sure that in the translation of your own name in the passport it corresponds with the way it is written in your KR.2, ie give that name to the translator.

5 hours ago, thedivezone said:

Same for me, the only other reason for me to get it was to do the capital gains tax return at the tax office, don't actually know if it is indeed required for that.

Now the yellow book is just another worthless piece of paper, but at 20 baht it didn't exactly break the bank either.

Your personal ID number in your yellow house registration book is also your tax identification number.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, thedivezone said:

Now the yellow book is just another worthless piece of paper...

It is the same for a Thai national,  as also he rarely gets to use his house registration book. Basically, you can use yours in the same situations where he needs to use his, the only difference being that you additionally have the option of alternatively using a residence certificate from immigration or from your embassy.

Living 2 hrs from an immigration office, it's a real pain in the butt getting a residence cert for every little thing. In particular, dealing with the land transport office. My one attempt at getting a yellow book derailed on a certification issue with marriage cert.

If you live close to an immigration office, not so much of an issue.

I am lucky i live in a province where it was easy to get yellow tabien baan and all authorities (exempt immigration who luckily dont need to see it)

Accept the book and or the ID card readily. Ive used the ID card all over Thailand with no problems at all for hotels and internal flights and phone contract with Dtac  in my banks. I have had the yellow book translated and notorized by the British Embassy, and have used it as part of a range of papers for matters arising in my birth country UK. I have no idea how much a COR is at KK immigration but if i say 200bht then over the time ive had the book i estimate to have saved 3000bht in COR fee's alone.

So is it worth it YES

Edited by jeab1980

9 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Used the yellow book as proof of address for the Thai DL

that seems valuable, just moved provinces so address on back of thai DL is old one, my yellow book now has new local address; local imm can be thorny so now dont need letter from them when renewing DL

• Like 1